Notifications
Clear all

How I'm Successfully Managing My Acne

MemberMember
(@natalie411)

Posted : 04/05/2013 12:45 pm

Hi friends,

I'm creating this post, not only to help those who are still looking, or who are finding hard to keep up with strict regimens, but also to help myself, If I ever go down the old path again and need a refresher smile.png

I have been using certain NATURAL steps to control my cyctic acne that have helped immensely. These are aimed at preventing the root cause which leads my body to wreck havoc on my skin. Over the last few weeks, my thinking has changed drastically. I stopped looking for a magic superficial cure to acne and started thinking in depth. For the first time I started to notice how I feel after eating certain things or doing certain things.

For e.g. If I have blackheads, I can be sure those they will erupt into cysts any day. Now my aunt also has blackheads but her body doesn't think of those as threats which must be attacked. She can live with those for years. So what is different here? My body is reacting differently to blackheads than hers.

What I have learnt is that any type of acne at heart is basically one thing. It is an inflammation in the body that is out of control. Now this can further be due to several factors such as Insulin resistance, Fluctuating blood sugar levels, Unhealthy gut, fluctuating harmones etc. You don't have to worry about that. All you have to do is take any measures you can to reduce the inflammation and hence facilitate your body to heal from within! I just found some articles where this exactly has been explained very well by Seppo at clear for life. I wont go into the details here but he has explained exactly what I have been trying to implement into my life. This realization, i.e. the body will heal by itself, you just have to help a little bit really set me free. I have been feeling so much better knowing that I don't have to go on a highly restrictive diet or take crazy measures to cure it, I can live a relatively normal life.

Here is what I'm doing

My goal: Reduce any inflammation in my body, keep blood sugar moderated, mitigate stress

How to achieve it: Limit things that cause spikes in blood sugar or put body under any abnormal stress. Increase things which help keep body calm and reduce inflammation.

Step 1: We all have read that diary, wheat etc. trigger acne. Instead of going crazy with a restrictive diet, eliminate one thing at a time, if you notice no difference. Move onto another. This is important because I have previously tried to eliminate diary, wheat etc. all at once, which was so difficult to manage that my diet would just fall apart and Ill go back to beginnings. So baby-steps.

Hence I limited dairy. I used to drink a glass of cow milk every night, have milk tea etc. I stopped. And new cysts stopped forming. I still eat wheat as I cannot do without it, but after my diary experiment, I know it is not that big of a problem for me. Still I have tried to limit it very slightly anyway. (Note: Having a balanced diet is the healthiest for our bodies. Moderation is the key)

(For those who have noticed that wheat is a problem for them, they will obviously have to limit it until their body heals)

I eat everything else in moderation. Meat, chicken, fruits, and all. The only things I am consciously trying to limit are dairy and sugar.

Step 2: Increase vegetable and fruits (Quickest way is to have a blended vegetable fruit juice in morning). Again fruit is not a problem for me in moderation.

Step 3: Green tea after every meal to reduce inflammation. Now I didnt like the taste of green tea so I did something interesting. I added some more anti-inflammatory things to improve the taste, so much so that I actually really enjoy it now. I want to share my recipe for those who do not like green tea much either. Put half centimeter piece of ginger in a cup of water. Bring it to boil. Add a green tea bag. Then add a pinch of Cinnamon and half a pinch of turmeric to it. i also add 2 teaspoons of honey, and squeeze half a lemon. So this is my own super anti inflammatory drink smile.png It has not caused me any problems in case someone is wondering this might be too 'hot'.

Step 4: I am taking a multivitamin just because I dont think I get all the required nutrients through diet. I'm taking one called skin, hair and nails vitamins.

Step 5: Intermittent fasting. This means, reduce the time bracket in which you eat. Do not have too many meals in a day. I have 3. Even a snack counts as meal here because it will be converted to sugar in your body, I have just the green juice for breakfast. Then a proper lunch and dinner later.

Step 6: That is it for now. I want to start exercising as that also helps in moderating insulin resistance, similarly mitigating stress helps. But I just wanted to share these little steps so that you guys get the idea about where to go from here.

I eat everything but in moderation. I used to get sugar cravings and hunger pangs but it has quickly moderated. My skin has become less oily. (Used to be embarrassingly oily before), no new cysts, just one or two pustules but I'm not bothered as I'm sure that I'm on the right track and by taking some more healthy lifestyle measures, I will be free from those as well. The feeling of having swelling all over has subsided. I feel much calmer and my face is pretty calm too. I have even lost some weight as I don't feel hungry all the time like I used to just few weeks ago.

I'm still learning new things every day about making my body healthy from inside and I really think this is the path to a happy healthy me. smile.png

Good Luck to us all.

melmel87 liked
MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/05/2013 3:18 pm

juice is alright.

but skipping breakfast completely isnt a good idea mate.

here's my diet.

i will try to add the ginger water.

although i dnt green tea with me right away.

so i'll just take the other ingredients excpt for green tea(at the moment).

MemberMember
(@natalie411)

Posted : 04/05/2013 3:37 pm

Hey, your overall diet is pretty similar to mine. I'll try the lemon water over empty stomach as well. Also will add at-least an egg to my breakfast. What is the status of your acne with this diet? Is it under control?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/07/2013 9:04 am

hello!

lemon water flushes out toxins(they say).

check this http://lajollamom.com/2011/01/drink-warm-lemon-water-in-the-morning/

after accutane and ointments like (faceclin,bp etc) i still had a sudden breakout of bad big pus-filled pustules (a few of them) about 1.5 mnths ago.

so i went to my derma & she gave me azithral-500.

(its azithromycin tablets which is suppose to lessen the bacteria(p.acnes).i was given 5 the 1st time and then 5(i had only 4 though) after 3 weeks as a full course).

i have been maintaining a less-oily(mostly),less spicy(mostly) and low sugar diet(excpt for fruits and lil' sugar in curries n digestive biscuits.mostly) for a lil' more than 2 mnths now.

i dnt have big acne or too many small zits now.

i do have whiteheads on my nose which refuse to budge,also i do get tiny sharp reddish heads on my cheeks sometimes.also one or two zits sometimes(whch i suspect happens before my period.am not sure.i noticed last mnth.i'll keep a track this mnth too).

i skin otherwise in places where's there no spot/blemishes is smooth and i feel it does have a glow.

i dnt know whether it's for the antibiotic or because of the diet i'm maintaining!

what do u think?

how are u doing?do u get whiteheads or sudden small zits here n there?

i mean to follow a few more techniques as well.i'm searching.

hope to stay in touch to discuss.

do u maintain a blog?

it would be nice if u could read my blog.specially for a few topics like indulgence,accutane,diet,and my sudden attacks which i just uploaded recently.

i'm aana btw.from india.=)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/07/2013 9:43 am

Congratulations. You are right that inflammation is a root cause in acne and most of the other diseases running rampant these days. And diet and lifestyle habits are the way to solve that problem

But blackheads don't turn into cysts. They are different end results of the clogged pore.

Could you please post in the Success thread?

MemberMember
(@natalie411)

Posted : 03/12/2014 6:52 am

Some additional notes. I've finally figured out that eggs are a major culprit for me. Recently started eating one egg every day in breakfast and wrecked havoc. Took me a while to figure out the problem.

MemberMember
(@ellamaria)

Posted : 03/19/2014 3:50 pm

congratulations! i agree this is what I've been doing too with the help of my friend, she's a health coach and she's taught me so much. Your body will heal itself with your help and love. The quality of your food and the way you treat your body is always important.