Notifications
Clear all

Bp And Tea Tree Oil Combo Causing Harm To My Skin?

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/05/2013 1:10 am

So recently I've been using a dime amount of Dan's BP at night and in the morning but I was still getting a few pimples here and there. So my mom ordered me this %100 pure tea tree oil (essential oil) from young living website (expensive) anyways it's supposed to be the best tea tree oil out there because of how it's formulated. It's the most natural and safest for skin. So I spread that over my face after the BP only at night and this keep my skin very clear. But I've noticed that when I do those steps at night, afterwards my face is red like I have a rash and it burns slightly. Is this really terrible? I would rather have this at night then have pimples in the day but is this really damaging to my skin? The redness and slight burning go down after about one hour... but my skin is sensitive to heat anyways. I just don't want this to harm my skin in the long run sad.png

(description of issue: very red face after applying tea tree oil and BP with burning sensation that lasts an hour. I do moisturize afterwards too.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/05/2013 1:17 am

So recently I've been using a dime amount of Dan's BP at night and in the morning but I was still getting a few pimples here and there. So my mom ordered me this %100 pure tea tree oil (essential oil) from young living website (expensive) anyways it's supposed to be the best tea tree oil out there because of how it's formulated. It's the most natural and safest for skin. So I spread that over my face after the BP only at night and this keep my skin very clear. But I've noticed that when I do those steps at night, afterwards my face is red like I have a rash and it burns slightly. Is this really terrible? I would rather have this at night then have pimples in the day but is this really damaging to my skin? The redness and slight burning go down after about one hour... but my skin is sensitive to heat anyways. I just don't want this to harm my skin in the long run sad.png

(description of issue: very red face after applying tea tree oil and BP with burning sensation that lasts an hour. I do moisturize afterwards too.

Your skin will experience the burning sensation. It is your skin getting used to the BP. This eventually subsides after a month of putting on BP twice a day.

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/05/2013 1:22 am

Your skin will experience the burning sensation. It is your skin getting used to the BP. This eventually subsides after a month of putting on BP twice a day.

No because I've been using BP now for 5 years or so. I just think it's too much for my skin to handle or something? I wonder if I should quit the tea tree oil because I don't experience it with just BP and moisturizer, only after I apply TTO

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/05/2013 1:39 am

No because I've been using BP now for 5 years or so. I just think it's too much for my skin to handle or something? I wonder if I should quit the tea tree oil because I don't experience it with just BP and moisturizer, only after I apply TTO

Do you just use a 2.5% BP? If you've been using it without the oil and it worked well, then stick to that. I haven't ever used tea tree oil so I wouldn't know if that is a side effect. I do use jojoba oil with my moisturizer and that has helped with the dryness.

But yeah, if its not the BP burning sensation, then try going off the tea tree and see if your skin goes back to normal.

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/05/2013 1:46 am

Do you just use a 2.5% BP? If you've been using it without the oil and it worked well, then stick to that. I haven't ever used tea tree oil so I wouldn't know if that is a side effect. I do use jojoba oil with my moisturizer and that has helped with the dryness.

But yeah, if its not the BP burning sensation, then try going off the tea tree and see if your skin goes back to normal.

Yes I use the 2.5% I will eliminate the TTO however I don't think my skin will be as clear but I think I would rather have healthy feeling skin. Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/05/2013 2:05 am

Using both TTO and BP is probably too harsh for your skin. TTO on it's own can be harsh on the skin and it's best to dilute it because of that - a lot of people experience burning and redness because of undiluted TTO. So if you're using TTO undiluted and using BP - it's probably just too much at once for your skin. I agree that cutting out TTO is a good idea to see how your skin goes. If you wanted to add TTO back in to your regimen then you could test using it as a spot treatment instead of all over your face. You could use it undiluted as a spot treatment also if you wanted / if your skin can handle it.

(Edit - I use TTO and can actually handle it undiluted majority of the time over most of my face but I know this isn't the case for a lot of people. I found that when I used a BP face wash and TTO after, it burned my skin and was quite uncomfortable and red - the combination of the two products is just too much I think).

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/05/2013 2:19 am

I agree Lily I mean it's a really good TTO like it's not supposed to cause any harm to the skin. But that being said, I am also using BP and using both of them has definitely been too much for my sensitive skin. I've been using this method for maybe 5 months now with red rash like symptoms, would this have caused any permanent damage to my skin being used for so long? :(

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/05/2013 3:22 am

I agree Lily I mean it's a really good TTO like it's not supposed to cause any harm to the skin. But that being said, I am also using BP and using both of them has definitely been too much for my sensitive skin. I've been using this method for maybe 5 months now with red rash like symptoms, would this have caused any permanent damage to my skin being used for so long? sad.png

I don't know if it would have caused any permanent damage or not... Is your skin constantly red or anything from using it? If so it might take a while to go back to 'normal' because of using it /having that reaction for so long but I really don't know sorry.

What's different about your TTO that makes it not supposed to cause harm to the skin? I use a 100% pure TTO and I always thought that was it and it's just the 'nature' of TTO that it can be harsh/cause burning/irritation... Pure TTO is pure TTO - I didn't think there was a difference between brands. Is the brand you use supposed to be gentler or something?

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/05/2013 3:45 am

I don't know if it would have caused any permanent damage or not... Is your skin constantly red or anything from using it? If so it might take a while to go back to 'normal' because of using it /having that reaction for so long but I really don't know sorry.

What's different about your TTO that makes it not supposed to cause harm to the skin? I use a 100% pure TTO and I always thought that was it and it's just the 'nature' of TTO that it can be harsh/cause burning/irritation... Pure TTO is pure TTO - I didn't think there was a difference between brands. Is the brand you use supposed to be gentler or something?

Well it's definitely red especially after I shower in the morning but it doesn't last for long except at night time. It does go back to normal though by the morning so I think it should be okay hopefully!

The website we buy our oils from is youngliving.com where they sell all kinds of essential oils for healing properties. Basically they put a lot of care and research into producing the most gentle yet effective oils for health benefits. I believe they are biblically based, like their inspirations are from ideas of essential oils being used in the bible. The one TTO I was using was the Melaleuca (Alternifolia) Essential Oil which is like $35 online for a small bottle. I don't know my mom is a partner for them and she has so many and she convinced me they're the best or something but I don't know a whole lot about it other than that it's high quality and very pure. Like she wouldn't let me use any other tea tree oil lol. But I love to use their oils for other things too like their lavender oil cures my headaches just by smelling it!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/05/2013 5:06 am

Well it's definitely red especially after I shower in the morning but it doesn't last for long except at night time. It does go back to normal though by the morning so I think it should be okay hopefully!

The website we buy our oils from is youngliving.com where they sell all kinds of essential oils for healing properties. Basically they put a lot of care and research into producing the most gentle yet effective oils for health benefits. I believe they are biblically based, like their inspirations are from ideas of essential oils being used in the bible. The one TTO I was using was the Melaleuca (Alternifolia) Essential Oil which is like $35 online for a small bottle. I don't know my mom is a partner for them and she has so many and she convinced me they're the best or something but I don't know a whole lot about it other than that it's high quality and very pure. Like she wouldn't let me use any other tea tree oil lol. But I love to use their oils for other things too like their lavender oil cures my headaches just by smelling it!

Thanks for the info about the oil. The one I use sounds the same (comes from the same plant species) but I was just curious. Maybe there is some other difference... but the one I use is good enough for me right now :)

And I think that would be a good sign that the redness goes away! Hopefully it is all fine for you :) Good luck

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/05/2013 9:32 am

Hey, just chiming in here but you may be overdoing it with using TTO and BP on your skin. From personal experience, that's just way too harsh for your skin to handle. You may want to consider choosing TTO or BP but please discontinue using both simultaneously. Just a heads up. Acne is exascerbated by over irritation and you may be doing more harm than good. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress!! :)

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/05/2013 11:12 am

Thank you everyone for the help and I will post an update!! :)

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/08/2013 1:29 am

Just to update! I've stopped using tea tree oil on my skin after BP and my skin has no more redness! The burning has gone away, it still may get a little red after application but it's just the BP my skin is sensitive to everything so thanks for the advice! My skin feels a lot better :)