Notifications
Clear all

Face Red And Blotchy After Shower

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 04/04/2013 1:10 am

For the last couple of months, my face has been really red and blotchy after I get out of the shower. It looks like something is seriously wrong. It lasts an hour or more (so I only shower at night). I use room temperature water. Hot, warm, lukewarm, cold, it makes no difference though. I don't wash with soap. Just water. I rub the oil off with my hands, but I've tried not doing that and the blotchiness still happens. I do have a filter on my showerhead... maybe it's ran its course and is now blocked up with something and whatever it is I'm having a reaction to it. Or the water's really hard, or chlorinated. Or my skin is dry and any amount of water just easily irritates it. My skin is oily, but when I rub it with a clean t-shirt, lots of dead skin comes off. I think I'm finally understanding what "combination skin" is.

I think my plan unless anyone has any better ideas (please, I hope you do) is to a) take the shower filter off and b) not have a shower for 3 days and see what happens. I moisturized my face for the first time in years last night, and again tonight. I'll have to rinse off once more (because my face was gunky and shiny all day today, I need to get the moisturizer out at some point) tomorrow night, and then I'll do the 3 day shower-free thing. Good idea, you think?

My skin has gotten much worse since I started noticing this post-shower redness.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 04/04/2013 12:29 pm

First time in years last night? You gotta moisturize twice a day bro. Once in the morning & before you go to sleep, especially in the summer. I use to have the same problem After showers til about 3 weeks ago when I started using moisturizer. Now no more.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 04/04/2013 1:21 pm

I agree with FashionMoney-- even if it feels like your skin is oily, moisturize anyway. Twice a day, everyday. You'll probably see an improvement in the blotchiness because it'll help even out your skin and make it less "combination skin" and more "normal" skin.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 04/04/2013 8:20 pm

Twice a day would not work for me... my face is extremely greasy after applying moisturizer, even 24 hours afterward, with a face-splash in between. I'm thinking once every two or three days.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 04/04/2013 10:47 pm

Twice a day would not work for me... my face is extremely greasy after applying moisturizer, even 24 hours afterward, with a face-splash in between. I'm thinking once every two or three days.

Do you use bp? My skin use to be oily like I could get out the shower dry my face, get dressed, go play basketball for literally 2 minutes & my face would look like I was running all day. Now my face is fine in that aspect.

Your face could be oily because your dry skin is so severe that your body is producing so much oil to counterattack the dryness, trust me its possible.

I guarantee you if you cleanse & moisturize twice a day your skin wont be oily. The moisturizer will moisturize your face so your body won't need to produce so much.

Yeah it will take sometime but its worth it, besides moisturizing makes your skin look healthier anyway, everyone knows that.

Its your skin so do what you want but like I said I use to have really oily skin now its the complete opposite.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/05/2013 12:00 am

Do you use bp? My skin use to be oily like I could get out the shower dry my face, get dressed, go play basketball for literally 2 minutes & my face would look like I was running all day. Now my face is fine in that aspect.

Your face could be oily because your dry skin is so severe that your body is producing so much oil to counterattack the dryness, trust me its possible.

I guarantee you if you cleanse & moisturize twice a day your skin wont be oily. The moisturizer will moisturize your face so your body won't need to produce so much.

Yeah it will take sometime but its worth it, besides moisturizing makes your skin look healthier anyway, everyone knows that.

Its your skin so do what you want but like I said I use to have really oily skin now its the complete opposite.

Using lotion will not trick your skin into producing less oil. Androgens are the hormones largely responsible for oil production. Nothing topical can alter these hormones into producing less oil.

I wish it worked that way but, it doesn't.

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/05/2013 2:09 am

If your skin is irritated then a hot shower will only aggregate it more. I think I've been using too much product on my skin which has made it red and it does get very red after a shower too. So if your skin is dry either moisturize (if you aren't already) or just be more gentle on your skin

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 04/05/2013 5:51 am

If you think that moisturizing won't work, that's okay. I felt that way too for a long time, and it may or may not be true.

But something that I'm pretty sure helped my super greasiness/combo skin was taking zinc and vitamin D. Those two together make it so I don't have to blot my face with blotting papers and put more powder on my face to mask the oiliness. It's been great, seeing as I'm a teacher who can't be worrying about her face a lot.

So, if you think topicals won't help, try the supplements. :) It took about a month for me to start seeing real results.

MemberMember
(@fraz_2010)

Posted : 04/05/2013 8:34 am

If you're suffering from greasy skin caused from excessive sweating, then please drink more water.

The pores will release whatever you put into your body. If you avoid greasy foods and drink plenty of water, your pores will release water instead of grease, preventing further breakouts. It will also moisturize your skin from the inside out, which will help to prevent further redness from occuring when you take a shower.

I know it may seem like science fiction, but it really does work.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 04/05/2013 9:42 am

Using lotion will not trick your skin into producing less oil. Androgens are the hormones largely responsible for oil production. Nothing topical can alter these hormones into producing less oil.

Don't tell me it doesn't work when it worked for me, I use to have oily skin to the point where people would ask me why my face was so shiny lolol anyway now I don't.. I use to wake up with a shiny face... now I don't

It can and does work, will work for every single person on this planet with oily skin? No I'm not saying that, but its DEFINITELY worth a try.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/05/2013 5:59 pm

Don't tell me it doesn't work when it worked for me, I use to have oily skin to the point where people would ask me why my face was so shiny lolol anyway now I don't.. I use to wake up with a shiny face... now I don't

It can and does work, will work for every single person on this planet with oily skin? No I'm not saying that, but its DEFINITELY worth a try.

I agree it is tottaly worth a try. I moisturize twice a day and it doesn't make my skin less oily. I'm glad it worked for you!

I've used a bunch of different lotions ad potions for my oily skin and they never helped me except for this particular eucerine SPF 30 sensitive skin moisturizer I use to buy all the time. It was discontinued last year! Why does that always happen? When something works the company stops making it.

Acne and oily skin is more complex than most people think.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 04/05/2013 9:02 pm

I agree it is tottaly worth a try. I moisturize twice a day and it doesn't make my skin less oily. I'm glad it worked for you!

I've used a bunch of different lotions ad potions for my oily skin and they never helped me except for this particular eucerine SPF 30 sensitive skin moisturizer I use to buy all the time. It was discontinued last year! Why does that always happen? When something works the company stops making it.

If you have any old bottles you could get the ingredients list & compare with other moisturizers, then find a match, would take a while but worth it.

And yeah it is But overly dry skin can lead to more oil production, I think if you try a bp that will take a lot of oil away also.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/06/2013 12:59 pm

If you have any old bottles you could get the ingredients list & compare with other moisturizers, then find a match, would take a while but worth it.

And yeah it is But overly dry skin can lead to more oil production, I think if you try a bp that will take a lot of oil away also.

I tossed the bottle in the trash :( maybe I can find the ingredients list somewhere online. I'm using sulfur ointment right now and it works awesome! I get a lot of closed comedones and bp doesn't help with them.

I'm thinking of starting Saw Palmetto to help with the oily skin.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 06/06/2013 10:28 pm

So does no one else's face get red after a shower? Even if I don't let the water stream directly on my face, or it's cold or lukewarm, it happens. And it's only on my forehead, nose, and upper cheeks. Which are also the only places a get acne. I get no acne along my jawline, chin, or lower cheeks. And they never go red.

MemberMember
(@xesro)

Posted : 06/07/2013 2:07 am

Might be an eczema, irritation, rosacea.

Try not to touch your skin for a while, wash your face with purified water ( boiled ) at the room temperature, then moisturize twice per day. Let your skin air-dry and put the moisturizer while the skin is still wet.