Notifications
Clear all

Should I Take Minocycline?

MemberMember
(@angbog)

Posted : 04/03/2013 8:20 pm

My doctor prescripted me minocycline a few weeks ago but i was scared to start it since i read on some other mino reviews that it can have side effects and also when you stop it your acne will become worse... During summer my face seems to be a lot clearer last year, maybe because i was younger and acne wasn't so serious ... now im 16. Should i wait for summer or just give it a try with mino?

As you can see in the pictures below my acne is just kind of red marks and sometimes some white thingy... will minocycline clear me up? or should i just wait for summer and see. The red marks on my face next to my nose have been there for about 2 months now :/

Please help and thanks!

post-206024-0-48882200-1365038308_thumb.

post-206024-0-61468800-1365038329_thumb.

post-206024-0-48882200-1365038308_thumb.

post-206024-0-61468800-1365038329_thumb.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/03/2013 9:02 pm

My doctor prescripted me minocycline a few weeks ago but i was scared to start it since i read on some other mino reviews that it can have side effects and also when you stop it your acne will become worse... During summer my face seems to be a lot clearer last year, maybe because i was younger and acne wasn't so serious ... now im 16. Should i wait for summer or just give it a try with mino?

As you can see in the pictures below my acne is just kind of red marks and sometimes some white thingy... will minocycline clear me up? or should i just wait for summer and see. The red marks on my face next to my nose have been there for about 2 months now :/

Please help and thanks!

I took minocycline for about 3 months a couple years back for my cystic acne. My skin was at my worst at that time and the antibiotics completely cleared me. It only lasted for about 10 months though. My acne came back, though it wasn't as bad as when I started, I did do something about it before it got back to where it once was. So, just know, that it could work, but there is a pretty big chance that it will come back.

MemberMember
(@angbog)

Posted : 04/03/2013 9:47 pm

Please help and thanks!

I took minocycline for about 3 months a couple years back for my cystic acne. My skin was at my worst at that time and the antibiotics completely cleared me. It only lasted for about 10 months though. My acne came back, though it wasn't as bad as when I started, I did do something about it before it got back to where it once was. So, just know, that it could work, but there is a pretty big chance that it will come back.

Being clear for 10 months that's awesome 🙂 But when it came back it wasn't worst or anything? and did you re-take mino?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/04/2013 12:55 am

Please help and thanks!

Being clear for 10 months that's awesome smile.png But when it came back it wasn't worst or anything? and did you re-take mino?

10 months was cool...but then you feel so good about it that getting one spot already bothered me. I did re-take mino but it took longer for my face to clear the 2nd time around. I was then told your body builds up a resistance to the antibiotics so eventually it wouldnt work anymore if I kept taking it every couple of months.

When it came back, it could have been worse, but I didn't let it get that far. That's when I also incorporated birth control and spiro with the mino. But after a while I was only on birth control and used a tretinoin cream as long term use of antibiotics and spiro isn't very good.

Now I am on the regimen and have been on it for almost 3 months. I'm basically clear, but I still get one or two spots a month for girl reasons.

Bottom line....antibiotics will work...but in the long run it could cause damage and will end up not working when you take the medication too many times. At least that's my story.

MemberMember
(@angbog)

Posted : 04/04/2013 4:07 pm

Please help and thanks!

Being clear for 10 months that's awesome smile.png But when it came back it wasn't worst or anything? and did you re-take mino?

10 months was cool...but then you feel so good about it that getting one spot already bothered me. I did re-take mino but it took longer for my face to clear the 2nd time around. I was then told your body builds up a resistance to the antibiotics so eventually it wouldnt work anymore if I kept taking it every couple of months.

When it came back, it could have been worse, but I didn't let it get that far. That's when I also incorporated birth control and spiro with the mino. But after a while I was only on birth control and used a tretinoin cream as long term use of antibiotics and spiro isn't very good.

Now I am on the regimen and have been on it for almost 3 months. I'm basically clear, but I still get one or two spots a month for girl reasons.

Bottom line....antibiotics will work...but in the long run it could cause damage and will end up not working when you take the medication too many times. At least that's my story.

So do you recommend minocycline or it's not worth it? I don't know what to do , should i use mino or just wait for my acne to go by itself , i'm only scared of scars 🙁 Also does mino gives results quickly? like 2 weeks or so? because if not i will just wait for summer and see if my face clears up..