Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane Log (Uk) - 20Mg - 25/m

MemberMember
(@z3r0)

Posted : 04/03/2013 6:48 pm

Hi guys,

I have a couple of posts here before but I've just been to the derm today, he prescribed me an initial dose of 20mg/day to hopefully finally kick mild/moderate but persistent acne. I also have some issues with foliculitis so i'm not sure how well it will clear me but the doc was the head of dermatology at a major hospital so I figure he knows his shit. I feel like the dose is too low but I have a review appointment in just under 2 months so we'll see how it goes, I'll try to keep this updated. My skin is fairly bad as it goes at the moment and I've been taken off Clincydamin/Benzol Peroxide and also of Lymecycline so the IB could be really bad! Kind of nervous about the whole thing but we'll see, hope the dose is high enough!

Took the first pill earlier today so here goes.

MemberMember
(@ellieaccutane)

Posted : 04/03/2013 10:15 pm

Hey!

Congrats on joining the accutane journey lol, i've been on it for a month now & it's definitely doing it's job. I'm also on 20mgs per day which will continue for another month then i'll get bumped up to 40mgs per day for another 3 months.

I went in with a fair few spots on my face which have mostly all cleared now. There's just 3 stubborn ones left which i've been keeping an eye on & i'm noticing their slow, but sure farewell.

I was taking minomycin at one point which had no effect on my skin whatsoever, so i tried duac which worked temporarily, which is of course not good enough. So i decided i'd take my last option. I'm not sure if i've experienced the IB yet because my skin has mostly cleared since taking accutane rather than produced more spots. But my derm tells me it can occur anywhere between the 2-3 month mark so i'm not in the clear yet. Fingers crossed it treats me nicely.

One word of advice, don't underestimate this drugs strength. It has the power to make you feel as vulnerable as an autumn leaf during a hurricane. Make sure you take your dose with a proper, hearty meal & wash it down with a full glass of water otherwise you can look forward to dying on the bathroom floor with whatever you've eaten for the past week along with your dose happily swimming in your toilet bowl.

With that said, good luck, hopefully you see results soon & stock up on a lot of moisturizer & lip balm. You'll be needing it very soon (:

MemberMember
(@z3r0)

Posted : 04/04/2013 5:57 am

Well just took my second, not seeing any effects yet obviously but i'll remember what you said about food. Already stocked up on aqueous cream (generic moisturiser) and vaseline. I'm hoping the fact that i'm off benzol peroxide/duac which is also very drying, should help stop the drying getting too bad. We'll see on that front. I actually have enough of a dose to keep taking 20 for a month then ramp it up to 40 for a month before my next derm appointment. If i'm feeling fine on 20 after a month I will ask him about that (obviously not going to do it without the doctor's ok). I'm hoping I get mostly clearing like you do rather than a big IB!

MemberMember
(@ellieaccutane)

Posted : 04/07/2013 2:20 am

Hey, how's it going so far? Noticing any changes as of yet?

I used to use duac all over my face lol I used to just do a spot treatment but then my acne got pretty bad & I have to say I didn't experience that much drying from duac. I used another topical called benzac & it was 10% BP & even that didn't have much of a drying effect :/ not sure if my skin is just super intolerant of drying out. The accutane dries out my spots, that's for sure. But as for the face I only really notice drying on delicate areas of the skin like the nose, and the little triangle underneath the eye closest to the nose. Even then, it's nothing moisturizer can't fix. (:

MemberMember
(@z3r0)

Posted : 04/11/2013 3:44 am

it's been a week so i figured I'd do an update... thus far basically no change to be honest. I've been away from home and the mirror is different so I doubt I'd notice any small changes in my skin. Dryness has yet to be an issue. I moisturize in the morning and evening and use vaseline regularly on my lips so maybe that is it. I've had a few more minor spots than I usually get but no big cysts thus far so maybe it is doing something, it's hard to tell. Will be able to update more usefully when I get home. Plan is currently do a month, then call the derm and see if I can switch to 40 if i still haven't seen any progress.

How is it going for you^ still experiencing a slow improvement?

MemberMember
(@z3r0)

Posted : 04/13/2013 12:59 pm

spoke to soon, bit of nodule/cyst below my lip and also lips drying out!

MemberMember
(@ellieaccutane)

Posted : 04/14/2013 6:03 am

Don't stress, just keep at it with the lip balm every time you feel the drying sensation & pack it on before bed so they're hydrated throughout the night.

That's okay, now you know it's working! Lets just hope it stays mild & doesn't go haywire. Keep your face clean, you'll notice it won't ever feel dirty soon because the oil pretty much gets cut off but still continue with your everyday skin care routine.

Aaaaand I'm so friggin happy! I woke up this morning to a completely clear face. No flaking, no sore spots, no bulging, no bumps.. Just soft, smoooooth, perfectly awesome skin. :D:D here's to hoping it stays this way, I really don't wanna have an IB after seeing my face this clear!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/14/2013 6:11 am

Hey :) I have mild-moderate (persistent) acne too with pretty oily skin and I'm interested in taking a low dose of roaccutane too. How did you go around getting a referral to a derm? I could imagine my GP telling me that my acne isn't severe enough. I've also heard roaccutane can cause hair loss which is worrying because that's also something I suffer with anyways (terrible genetics...).

Congrats on starting your journey to clear skin, I hope everything works out for you! :)

MemberMember
(@z3r0)

Posted : 04/16/2013 12:31 pm

i think the hair loss is extremely rare. In terms of getting referals, I essentially just kept going back to the GP, to see different GPs until one of them referred me. Basically you just have to keep trying, if you've had persistent problems and tried other medecines, they will refer you.

The drying out seems to have eased off a bit, no dry skin at all yet and moderate dry lips, it's managable with vaseline/carmex. My skin isn't bad at the moment, nothing much active, just scarring and some ingrown hairs. The medecine seems to be doing something for sure. I'm just past 2 weeks now.

Congrats Ellie, that sounds like an amazing feeling, hopefully I'm not far behind!

MemberMember
(@z3r0)

Posted : 04/17/2013 4:46 pm

I think I need to stop saying skin isnt bad or not much active, as if on cue, another nodule forming on my chin! Still, onwards. The whole idea of taking a medecine that is meant to work has cheered me up a lot!

MemberMember
(@z3r0)

Posted : 04/23/2013 11:30 am

Ok so I'm in to my fourth week, I think it's time for an update. The cysts do seem to have slowed down a lot, I no longer have regular big hard nodules deep under the skin. I'm noticing an increase in small whitehead spots/small pustules, is that normal as part of the flushing out process?

*Edit: As always, a nodule as soon as I write they are getting better.

Side effects wise, I haven't noticed anything much. Very slight drying of the lips but that is all.

MemberMember
(@z3r0)

Posted : 05/29/2013 10:48 am

It's been 2 months now. Back to the derm earlier today and there has been some progress. I'm getting a lot less hard/deep spots that are cystic. I still get the odd one and fairly regular whiteheads.

The mix of acne and foliculitis is causing some issues because the foliculitis makes the skin look worse but isn't acne.

I got put up to 40mg today so that will be interesting to see if that changes things. It's more of a proper dose (I weigh 60kg so its 0.66mg/kg) so we'll see how that goes.

Side effects wise so far, nothing. Very slight dry lips and that's it.