Notifications
Clear all

Levulan (Kerastick) Followed By The Caveman

MemberMember
(@sillian)

Posted : 03/29/2013 10:13 pm

27 years old and still struggling with acne. I thought I had been saved, rescued by the Mirena IUD for two years. Not a spot on my face but then the IUD had to go and when it did the acne came back with a vengence. I feel as though I have attempted everything from washes to antibiotics, even quit washing my face for a week- not because I was making an attempt at 'the caveman regimen' but because I had given up. Fraught with apathy for a week until the acne became so out of control I couldn't stand by anymore.

My brother has been around for the whole battle, arms crossed, head shaking, totally confused while he watched me run around like a lunatic applying every lotion, cream, mask and ointment to my face only to be left utterly disappointed. He struggled with acne for a while but now lives free and clear. He has always swore that if I quit fighting it and stopped washing my face it would all go away and I thought that was a rediculous claim. When I did quit my face looked awful. I had to keep going until I found a cure. I was willing to swallow every poison, send myself to the poor house and would even go as far as practically lighting my face on fire to rid myself of acne.

I finally saved enough money to see a dermatologist (not covered by my insurance until I pay $2500 deductible first) and set up an appoinment. I had this feeling she was going to put me straight onto accutane and my suspicions were correct. We set everything up, I took my tests, provided proof of my 2 (TWO!) birth control methods and set up my next appointment 1 month out. Something bothered me about this, and it continued to really bug me through out my month of waiting... My derm seemed really nonchalant about this whole accutane business.

Tuesday, 4 days ago, was to be my first day on accutane. I went into my derms office and we sat and chatted for a while. I really wanted to ask her why she wasn't more concerned about the accutane, why she seemed like it was no big deal. She was very convincing and again, I agreed. Let's do this. Then, at the last second, she mentions this thing called Levulan and blue light therapy. She says it's expensive but non invasive. $300 a pop, 4 to 6 treatments, once a month and it could potentially cure me from acne as well as treat all of my scars and dents.

Sold.

I want to exhaust all options before we destroy my liver. So I arranged to start a treatment that same Thursday (yesterday).

My face is burnt to hell, but I feel like it is actually making a difference. And I swear, if you do this Levulan treatment, listen to your doctor and STAY OUT OF THE LIGHT! Even room lighting will burn your skin.

Yesterday, I was in some mild pain after the treatment. And while I was at work I thought to myself how silly this is that I would go as far as to burn my face to solve my acne dilemma. Thinking maybe there's something behind not cleaning, I researched it and found 'the caveman regimen' and read about all the success everyone else has had with it. The people who have gone out of their way to describe the science behind it, whether bullshit or not, made a lot of sense.

I think maybe the Levulan treatment would be a great way to start the caveman regimen seeing as the chemical and the lights and lasers work to clean and shrink the glands in the skin. It also strips the top layers of skin that are damaged and part of the healing process is the crusty dead cell mask anyway.

I am curious and feel like contributing to this forum which so many others have contributed to in thier plight of seeking a cure. Seeing as I have already spent the money and have no other plan, I may as well write a journal.

Here's my plan:

It takes about 7 days on average to mostly recover from the Levulan. In this time, I can't wear make-up or wash my face anyway. SO- I'll just continue on doing just that. That's all. Pretty simple plan.

Depending on the first months results, I may or may not do the second treatment.

We'll see how it goes.

-Sillian

MemberMember
(@sillian)

Posted : 03/29/2013 10:36 pm

Second day of recovery from Levulan post-205693-0-92089800-1364614210_thumb.

post-205693-0-92089800-1364614210_thumb.

MemberMember
(@sillian)

Posted : 03/30/2013 6:56 pm

Yea, you know, the phototoxicity only lasts the first 48 hours. Today was a beautiful day and I was able to enjoy a little bit of it (obviously in moderation).

And the burning really just feels like a bad sunburn for the first day. You seriously want to stay out of any light though, I cannot stress that bit enough!

By the second day it subsided, and now it is totally gone today. I still have redness but it has toned down a bit. I am really flakey and itchy though.

Are you considering Levulan at all?

MemberMember
(@gonzolandia)

Posted : 04/07/2013 3:07 am

Wondering how's your face now Sillian? A week after your first sesh

MemberMember
(@sillian)

Posted : 04/09/2013 7:03 pm

Gonzo- it looks amazing! I haven't washed since levulan and my skin feels pretty normal, maybe a little on the oilier side but I think I feel that way only because I am used to ky face being super dry from washing it. I've had a few blemishes here and there, but they are tiny and heal very fast. I'll post a pic to my blog asap, you can judge for yourself :)