Notifications
Clear all

Caveman Regimen For Oily Skin

MemberMember
(@aee42)

Posted : 03/29/2013 12:09 pm

Hi so I just started the caveman regimen, ( water only, 0 water for the more intense people out there ) because after years of topicals, like retin-a, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, scrubs and other harsh products I've pretty much realized I stripped the natural hydro-lipid barrier of my skin and need to let it balance out to a normal pH. I started using these not because I became prone to breakouts, but because I was just interested in skincare. I had perfectly normal skin before and had no issue with oilyness, breakouts, dryness, irritation... anything. Because I started experimenting on my face, it because really sensitive and had no barrier, causing my skin to produce excess oil and then started the erruption of real breakouts, and the cycle started. I used products to control my acne, which was only caused by excessive use of harsh chemicals stripping my skin causing oilyness. It took me a while to really figure out this was the problem... So I decided to quit using all products completely.

Its only been a week and I'm seeing tons and tons of clogged pores and small bumps. I realize that this is my skin releasing all the bad toxins I've held in through topicals, so I'm trying not to be too anxious about it. My skin is oily most of the time now, because I'm not constantly washing away the oil.

What I was wondering, is how long do you think this excess oily, breakout stage will last? Is it possible my skin has just become oily and won't revert back to its normal state?

Has anyone with this problem had success with the caveman regimen? I'm looking for reviews that will get my hopes up! Thanks

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 03/29/2013 12:54 pm

I use only water but I still rub the oil off with my hands in the shower. I think I've been using too much pressure lately, but generally this works well for me.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/06/2013 2:30 pm

I've been doing this for a while now and for the most part it has worked out great. I have cut out using any products at all including cleanser and moisturiser.

Having some issues with itchiness for the past few days around the creases of my nose and on my chin (where I break out the most), so if anyone has any solutions for that I'd appreciate it. I really don't want to know back to using products, but it's getting tempting!

MemberMember
(@russc56)

Posted : 04/07/2013 2:15 pm

I've been doing the caveman for a few weeks now and am having great results. I did have the detox period with a few bumps and blackheads, but to speed this along I made sure to drink a LOT of water every day, and green tea. I also exfoliate once a week with a damp cheesecloth to remove the excess dead skin and oil, but otherwise very rarely get any water on my face at all. I used to have oily skin and now my skin is completely normal and acne free! After a month or so, I plan to apply a small amount of jojoba oil to the areas that have blackheads still once a day--jojoba oil does a great job over time at removing blackheads. I would suggest that you keep up with the caveman regimen, it will certainly not be everyone's solution to oily or acne prone skin, but it has been mine!

MemberMember
(@h3000)

Posted : 04/07/2013 9:44 pm

I have the opposite problem--I have very dry/sensitive skin, and I'm wondering if the water-only method will allow my skin to make its own oil again.

MemberMember
(@tryst)

Posted : 04/07/2013 11:57 pm

You know, I wonder if this is what happened to me.

My acne right now is more spread out then it ever has been, and I hate it. I used Proactiv for about 6-8 months, then switched to the Neutrogena Wave, and now I'm using Ivory Soap. So far... no big improvements.

I don't know if I could just use water, though. That sounds terrifying... You should let me know if it works out for you. Maybe I'll give it a try in a couple weeks if this Ivory doesn't work. I'm getting so desperate.

Anyways. Best of luck to you!

MemberMember
(@russc56)

Posted : 04/09/2013 9:16 am

I would say that it would work, based on my experience. I have had many people reply saying that this is a terrible idea and will not work, etc etc...Well, maybe they haven't tried it or maybe it didn't work for them, but it has worked for me so far and that is all I can speak for. I doubt I would ever go back. The water only method is working better than I could've imagined. Maybe it will take a bad turn in a couple months, but at this point I am very happy with my perfectly clear skin--zero new spots! I haven't had issues with dry skin in the past, but I think harsh cleansers I was using did dry out my skin, and now it is completely normal--not oily or dry.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 04/28/2013 8:21 pm

The caveman regimen has definitely worked for me! After trying an endless number of regimens consisting of lots of artificial products,finally this one has worked for me. I've been just washing my face with drinking water whenever i feel the need to do it.Been like 10 days.And in those days i had few white heads which disappeared as fast as they appeared!There was a painful red bump which became completely normal when i woke up the next morning.I have been drinking lots of water(4 liters everyday).And i have completely eliminated high glycemic index food from my diet.Whether it's the water-only schedule,the diet or the water i drink,I'm completely clear ! The last few days have been magical.Hope it continues like this :) .People try this! you maybe shocked with your results .

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/29/2013 6:56 am

Since last night I've gone full caveman - no washing/products at all. My skin still feels clean, not greasy and I don't feel it's necessary to wash it...yet. I'm pretty sure this will work for me because the only time my skin starts to feel oily, is after I wash it!

I'm about to jump in the shower (avoiding my face at all costs) and I'm going to just dampen my hair too as that's also something I want to get rid of, greasy hair.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/04/2013 2:42 am

So it's my 16th day.No new pimple.The one i had 3 days ago never became cystic.The swelling has subsided and it's healing.My scars are healing too.The only thing that i dislike about my face is its dullness.It's all somber .And i'm having this dead skin problem where i'm all itchy because of a lot of dead skin all over my face.I try to exfoliate by a rough cloth ,but i succeed only partially.Also,it sometimes over scrubs the skin and then it's all red.

All in all i'm pretty happy about my new regimen.My summer break has just started and so i'm back at my home from my college hostel.I hope these months repair my skin and my scars fade.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/05/2013 4:35 am

So it's my 16th day.No new pimple.The one i had 3 days ago never became cystic.The swelling has subsided and it's healing.My scars are healing too.The only thing that i dislike about my face is its dullness.It's all somber .And i'm having this dead skin problem where i'm all itchy because of a lot of dead skin all over my face.I try to exfoliate by a rough cloth ,but i succeed only partially.Also,it sometimes over scrubs the skin and then it's all red.

All in all i'm pretty happy about my new regimen.My summer break has just started and so i'm back at my home from my college hostel.I hope these months repair my skin and my scars fade.

I'm on my 9th day and I'm getting really itchy too. I have dry flaky skin around my nose and I have no idea what to do about it. A part of me wants to grab my BHA moisturiser and slather in on...

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/05/2013 2:29 pm

I'm on my 9th day and I'm getting really itchy too. I have dry flaky skin around my nose and I have no idea what to do about it. A part of me wants to grab my BHA moisturiser and slather in on...

All pimples gone.17th day.Skin clear like the sky! But the scars are still there :( How to fade the scars ? Remedy,anybody?

MemberMember
(@guti14)

Posted : 05/05/2013 6:32 pm

Hi guys!
Im seriously thinking about giving the caveman regimen a go, but I have only one concern, I live in Rio de Janeiro and Im white so I cant NOT use Sunscreen, how should I do the caveman regimen using sunscreen, I cant stay away from the sun 24 hrs a day and the sun is so powerful here that it would be stupid going outside without anything protecting my face.

Is it worth it to go 30 days without using sunscreen? is the caveman regimen that eficient?

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/06/2013 2:07 am

Hi guys!

Im seriously thinking about giving the caveman regimen a go, but I have only one concern, I live in Rio de Janeiro and Im white so I cant NOT use Sunscreen, how should I do the caveman regimen using sunscreen, I cant stay away from the sun 24 hrs a day and the sun is so powerful here that it would be stupid going outside without anything protecting my face.

Is it worth it to go 30 days without using sunscreen? is the caveman regimen that eficient?

You should use a Non-Comedogenic sunscreen and then wash your face with just water when you want to remove the sunscreen? Try washing your face with the water you drink .Since many of us are living in very industrial areas and the water is far from clean.I think the idea of the "Caveman regimen" is wrongly interpreted.Not washing your face makes hardly any sense.You will start getting that "dirty" feeling when your face will feel all sticky.Instead the whole motive of the caveman regimen is to avoid artificial cleansers which strip your face of the essential oils which are vital for protection against bacteria such as Propionibacterium Acnes.I bear testimony to the fact that this method is worth a try.It's my 18th day today and i'm pimple free.After i have had a good sleep of 8 hours my face glows .At times it feels oily(very oily indeed),but then my skin automatically controls the oil production and my skin becomes a very healthy combination of oily and dry.I don't feel that artificial dryness which used to feel so unhealthy!

Also,now whenever i have a pimple,it's usually a white head or slight redness which heals itself very quickly.Nowadays i have this feeling that i'm not even acne prone! It was my ugly habit of over washing my face which made me break out and led to this ugly scarring!Anyways i won't be too optimistic.Being a realist i'm refraining from having too many expectations.As i have been let down many times previously sad.png.

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/06/2013 8:17 am

I dont understand how you do this regimen? When you shower how do you not wash your face?

Also, I need to wash my face every day especially in spring as the pollen from flowers and trees makes me allergetic.

Is there any study which supports this or are people just trying anything and everything ? Just curious.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/06/2013 11:00 am

I dont understand how you do this regimen? When you shower how do you not wash your face?

Also, I need to wash my face every day especially in spring as the pollen from flowers and trees makes me allergetic.

Is there any study which supports this or are people just trying anything and everything ? Just curious.

It's not that not washing your face curbs acne! No! It's just that we the religious cavemen are reluctant to use harsh cleansers .I'm sure every "caveman" has heard or read about the acid-mantle concept ,if you haven't then please do read about it.There are no scientific studies which support this regimen but then again neither are there studies which say that using commercial cleansers could control your acne.If your allergic to pollen grains then you can gently wash your face with clean water(ideally drinking chlorine free water).I cannot guarantee success in every case but there is absolutely no harm in trying it.After all iv'e been on this regimen since 18 days now and didn't get a single pimple! Try it!

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/06/2013 12:12 pm

Oh I see, no chemicals in the water and drinking water. I agree people tend to abuse their faces with harsh products. Makes sense now, thanks. It doesnt sound outlandish at all.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/06/2013 12:28 pm

Oh I see, no chemicals in the water and drinking water. I agree people tend to abuse their faces with harsh products. Makes sense now, thanks. It doesnt sound outlandish at all.

Personally , when i came across this concept of not washing your face at all.I didn't buy it.It's UNHEALTHY to not wash your face for months! So i made my own personal modification.Where you just use chemical free water :)

MemberMember
(@guti14)

Posted : 05/06/2013 3:10 pm

Hi guys!

You should use a Non-Comedogenic sunscreen and then wash your face with just water when you want to remove the sunscreen? Try washing your face with the water you drink .Since many of us are living in very industrial areas and the water is far from clean.I think the idea of the "Caveman regimen" is wrongly interpreted.Not washing your face makes hardly any sense.You will start getting that "dirty" feeling when your face will feel all sticky.Instead the whole motive of the caveman regimen is to avoid artificial cleansers which strip your face of the essential oils which are vital for protection against bacteria such as Propionibacterium Acnes.I bear testimony to the fact that this method is worth a try.It's my 18th day today and i'm pimple free.After i have had a good sleep of 8 hours my face glows .At times it feels oily(very oily indeed),but then my skin automatically controls the oil production and my skin becomes a very healthy combination of oily and dry.I don't feel that artificial dryness which used to feel so unhealthy!

Also,now whenever i have a pimple,it's usually a white head or slight redness which heals itself very quickly.Nowadays i have this feeling that i'm not even acne prone! It was my ugly habit of over washing my face which made me break out and led to this ugly scarring!Anyways i won't be too optimistic.Being a realist i'm refraining from having too many expectations.As i have been let down many times previously sad.png.

Thanks for the help, I have a non-comedogenic sunscreen, but wouldnt that be putting a lot of harsh chemicals on my face, when the meaning of this regimen is not to?

Im trying to do it without water though, because the water here is so filled with s**t.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 05/07/2013 12:48 pm

It's either this or accutane. Still undecided.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/07/2013 2:26 pm

Accutane is too dangerous to be considered as an option. Its long term ramifications :o

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 05/07/2013 3:20 pm

Accutane is too dangerous to be considered as

an option. Its long term ramifications :o

Yea I'm kind if leaning toward this, I just finished my college classes and got fired from my job so I really don't care about any initial breakout if there is any. Did you experience an initial breakout? Do you moisturize at least or no chemicals at all? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/07/2013 4:35 pm

Accutane is too dangerous to be considered as

an option. Its long term ramifications gasp.gif

Yea I'm kind if leaning toward this, I just finished my college classes and got fired from my job so I really don't care about any initial breakout if there is any. Did you experience an initial breakout? Do you moisturize at least or no chemicals at all? Thanks.

While being on the caveman regimen,my skin is naturally moisturized since i'm born with naturally oily skin.So no i'm putting no chemicals on face AT ALL.It's just plain cold drinking water.That's it.

MemberMember
(@ask24)

Posted : 05/07/2013 7:18 pm

What you are doing is good, altering your diet.

The stuff what you're doing to your face not so good. Try to wash your face once daily at the most because of all the pollution you face every day.

try to use soaps that don't dry the skin.

Once all the pimples are gone and scars are present. You can start using an exofoliant that contains camphor (you may need to make it). Camphor is detoxifying agent. This will speed up recovery process.

check out my thread

if you want long term clear skin, while eating foods you want.

MemberMember
(@guti14)

Posted : 05/14/2013 2:38 pm

Ive now done the caveman for 8 days, and I feel really good about the first week,
Ive gotten some small zits last days, just like 2-3, but thats probably because I cheated on my no sugar diet and ate alot of biscuits this weekend. Apart from that I have almost no zits, just one big that is staying with me since the day before I started this.

Have I already got through the "getting worse fase"? Or should that appear this coming week?

Strange to notice that eating alot of bad foods havent caused a maior breakout for me now, usually I get 2-3 big zits when I eat stuff packed with sugar.