Notifications
Clear all

Is Diet The End All Cure? Your Opinions.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/27/2013 7:50 pm

I had an interesting thought. I know most of us in this particular area of the board are outsiders right now in the fight against acne, but we all know diet plays a huge role. The research is there and its solid. What we eat absolutely effects our skin.

My question to you is, how big of a role does it play and can it be a cure for everyone? What about the most severe cases out there? What about someone with severe acne who has religiously spent years changing around with their diet and lifestyle and still has persistent acne. What do we tell these people?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/27/2013 8:08 pm

It plays a huge role and affects everyone, but no I don't think it alone can clear everyone. There are also lifestyle habits that affect the factors that lead to acne. And there are health issues that can be factors

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/27/2013 8:49 pm

I had an interesting thought. I know most of us in this particular area of the board are outsiders right now in the fight against acne, but we all know diet plays a huge role. The research is there and its solid. What we eat absolutely effects our skin.

My question to you is, how big of a role does it play and can it be a cure for everyone? What about the most severe cases out there? What about someone with severe acne who has religiously spent years changing around with their diet and lifestyle and still has persistent acne. What do we tell these people?

The research is not "solid" it's controversial - there's studies that suggest diet plays a role and there's others that completely negate any association between diet and acne. Most likely because everyone is metabolically different and some people resond to eating clean (or non "westernized") and others absolutely do not and experience no change in their skin.

There's is still no cure for acne, you either grow out of it or you are lucky enough to find some great management strategies that put your acne in a remission of sorts which keeps you clear.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/28/2013 2:24 am

The research is not "solid" it's controversial - there's studies that suggest diet plays a role and there's others that completely negate any association between diet and acne. Most likely because everyone is metabolically different and some people resond to eating clean (or non "westernized") and others absolutely do not and experience no change in their skin.

There's is still no cure for acne, you either grow out of it or you are lucky enough to find some great management strategies that put your acne in a remission of sorts which keeps you clear.

The research and science is extremely solid. Have you read The Clear Skin Diet by Valorie Treloar, MD? She is a NY dermatologist and includes over 300 studies published in medical journals over the last century that show strong links between diet and acne. This topic is for another time though. Thanks for your input.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/28/2013 2:35 am

the problem is, WHAT causes acne for us (diet wise). It is so difficult to figure out

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/28/2013 2:37 am

The research and science is extremely solid. Have you read The Clear Skin Diet by Valorie Treloar, MD? She is a NY dermatologist and includes over 300 studies published in medical journals over the last century that show strong links between diet and acne. This topic is for another time though. Thanks for your input.

I've had acne for 16 years and haven't received any improvement from my super healthy all restrictive mineral rich diet.

It's unfair to generalize and say that all cases of acne will improve with the right diet because this isn't the case. Not everyone has a food trigger and sometimes when we're eating our healthiest our skin is at it's worst; it's really ironic. With acne like any disorder/ disease no two cases are alike.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/28/2013 5:16 am

There are some cases which diet will not significantly reduce acne. However, it is impossible to say that diet and skin have no effect on each other. What we put in our bodies always has a direct impact on both the inside and outside of our bodies. This is not a generalization, this is common logic. Sorry you haven't been able to get major changes from diet. For now, I haven't seen much change either so its frustrating but i'm not that consistent with my diet yet.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/28/2013 8:10 am

I've had acne for 16 years and haven't received any improvement from my super healthy all restrictive mineral rich diet.

It's unfair to generalize and say that all cases of acne will improve with the right diet because this isn't the case. Not everyone has a food trigger and sometimes when we're eating our healthiest our skin is at it's worst; it's really ironic. With acne like any disorder/ disease no two cases are alike.

Everyone's body reacts to sugar, inflammatory foods, and lack of nutrients it needs to function, so everyone's diet affects their acne. If you truly ate well and it didn't help, then there's a good chance that you do have a specific food intolerance that you haven't figured out. Or your stress levels, sleep/circadian rhythm or other lifestyle habits need improvement.

And what few studies that found that diet did not affect acne were extremely flawed and have been discounted.

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/28/2013 8:53 pm

Everyone's body reacts to sugar, inflammatory foods, and lack of nutrients it needs to function, so everyone's diet affects their acne. If you truly ate well and it didn't help, then there's a good chance that you do have a specific food intolerance that you haven't figured out. Or your stress levels, sleep/circadian rhythm or other lifestyle habits need improvement.

And what few studies that found that diet did not affect acne were extremely flawed and have been discounted.

Nope. I ate nothing but vegetables/raw food for many years and didn't notice a difference. No stress in my life and my lifestyle is flawless - don't drink, don't smoke and have a fantastic sleep schedule. Nothing needs improvement, I live healthier than around 89% of the population. My acne is genetic.

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 03/28/2013 9:34 pm

I had moderate to severe acne despite eating very well, if diet could influence skin then I wonder how much worse my skin would have been had I eaten junk food?

Also, I'd love to know why millions of people eat crap, smoke, drink, don't exercise etc and their skin ranges from okay to crystal clear. What gives?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 03/29/2013 12:23 am

No. But perhaps it is a nearly universal cause.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/29/2013 3:11 am

ibiza define exac

I had moderate to severe acne despite eating very well, if diet could influence skin then I wonder how much worse my skin would have been had I eaten junk food?

Also, I'd love to know why millions of people eat crap, smoke, drink, don't exercise etc and their skin ranges from okay to crystal clear. What gives?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/29/2013 4:39 pm

Nope. I ate nothing but vegetables/raw food for many years and didn't notice a difference. No stress in my life and my lifestyle is flawless - don't drink, don't smoke and have a fantastic sleep schedule. Nothing needs improvement, I live healthier than around 89% of the population. My acne is genetic.

All our acne is genetic.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 03/30/2013 2:03 am

Yes, like alternativista says, the ability of our bodies to create acne is genetic. But triggers of acne - the forces acting those genes - are not so out of our control