Notifications
Clear all

I'm The Only Person In My Family To Ever Have Acne

MemberMember
(@spottysituation)

Posted : 03/27/2013 10:13 am

I'm turning 25 next week. The worst of my acne is over (I still get spots), but at it's worst it was pretty bad. I had consistent acne for 10 years, which is crazy. The worst thing is no one else in my family has ever had it. Can anyone relate to this? I sometimes wonder when I'll finally be spot free.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 03/27/2013 9:13 pm

Yep I can relate.

I'm the only one, as far as I know (not sure about aunts/uncles), who has had persistent acne. I'll be 20 in a couple of months and have had acne since I was about 12 or 13 and it's always been moderate to severe unless I used antibiotics or something. My parents never had acne - maybe the odd pimple now and then (which is normal) but never acne. My younger brother had super mild acne for a few months that cleared with just using a BP wash. I WISH it were that easy for me :P

Good to hear the worst of it is over for you. Hang in there! Hopefully we'll both find what works for us completely soon :)

MemberMember
(@d90)

Posted : 03/28/2013 4:58 pm

Yep I was the black sheep of the family with regard to acne too. I came here though and found the rest of the herd :)

MemberMember
(@ryu87)

Posted : 03/28/2013 6:49 pm

I'm turning 25 next week. The worst of my acne is over (I still get spots), but at it's worst it was pretty bad. I had consistent acne for 10 years, which is crazy. The worst thing is no one else in my family has ever had it. Can anyone relate to this? I sometimes wonder when I'll finally be spot free.

Did you cure your acne with Accutane?

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 03/28/2013 7:34 pm

Don't you love being that dead elephant in the room, ahh you gotta love family get togethers another thorn in my fuckin spine.

MemberMember
(@abstractfactory)

Posted : 03/29/2013 11:14 am

I tend to avoid family get-togethers altogether nowadays. It mainly consists of kid's running around and converations about schools and what tat they've brought from IKEA

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 03/29/2013 2:44 pm

Acne runs in my family, both sides, male and female. However, I'm the only one who still has it as an adult...almost 33 years old. It's hard, but when I'm at a family gathering and I glance around at everyone, I see that we all have some sort of personal physical struggle - most of them with their weight, some with other skin issues like eczema or psoriasis, others with alcohol or drugs, miserable relationships. Boy, what a mess we must look like! I hate that I still struggle with acne at this age, but on the flip side - I'm not overweight, I don't drink or do drugs, and I have a great marriage and two wonderful sons! So as self conscious as I am about my skin, I can hide my struggle a bit better than some of my relatives :)

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 04/16/2013 8:28 am

Acne runs in my family! My Dad had it and so his father. His sisters had acne too except for one sister.. he has 3 sisters. No wonder why I got this problem! My sister had bad acne before.. she used to get mostly cysts. Her acne scarring isn't that bad. Mine is worst than hers. My skin has been very smooth in months. I do get some zits sometimes... no pus in it though which is great. I currently have one ugly spot ..

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/17/2013 3:19 pm

yeah i can completely relate it sucks being the ugly duckling in your family. Everyone else has literally perfect skin except me. My mom and dad both had acne when they were younger but they grew out of it i guess i was stuck with both of their acne genes combined to get the worse skin out of my siblings. I'm not growing out of my acne either i wish!

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/17/2013 11:40 pm

Mom had basic hormonal acne I guess. Nothing serious 1 or 2 spots. No scaring. My dads skin is flawless. he is pushing 60 and he hardly even has a wrinkle. WTF happened to me then?

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 04/17/2013 11:46 pm

Mom developed cystic acne while pregnant with me after I was born she was acne free my dad never had acne.