Notifications
Clear all

Acne And Depression

MemberMember
(@omgitsacait)

Posted : 03/27/2013 3:01 am

I've had acne since I was twelve years old, and next month I will be turning twenty-five. After thirteen years of breakouts, my skin is a disaster, and I am terrified of what I'll look like when I get older. My acne has never gotten any better as I got older, despite countless trips to the dermatologist in high school and trying every possible treatment under the sun. I now have health insurance that won't cover any sort of dermatologic intervention, so even if there was a solution, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

I am so depressed that I try to avoid looking in mirrors. I have terrible eye contact because I don't want people looking at my face. Maybe if it wasn't for my acne I wouldn't be so ugly, but as it stands I am really, really unattractive. It feels very shameful, both to have spent the majority of my life covered in zits and to be so upset about it. It feels like I'm being stupid and vain.

People are clearly turned off by my acne. I've overheard people say that I might be pretty if it "wasn't for [my] skin."

I hate my face, and I hate myself for letting it get to me so much.

Does anyone else out there relate to this? It feels like I'm all alone. All my friends' acne cleared up five years ago...

MemberMember
(@sharonanne)

Posted : 03/29/2013 1:23 pm

My eldest daughter has had terrible acne since she was 13, it comes and goes, but when it comes, it's bad! She has done the chemical peels, the antibiotics, spent a small fortune of lotions and potions! A friend of mine suggested to us that her acne could be hormonal and told us of a facial wash that could help her. Belli skin care's Anti Blemish Facial Wash, turned out to be the best money we have ever spent. After a couple of weeks we could see a remarkable improvement in her skin. She still uses it as it keeps her acne under control. Please don't get discouraged, there is something out there that can help you. Try this and see if it's the right product for you.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/30/2013 2:15 am

yep i relate started getting acne when i was 11 and it only escalated I'm 20 now.It shows no signs of stopping, never had clear skin in 9 years just keeps on getting worse. It always switches too one spot on my body is always worse than the others mainly my face but sometimes my chest and back are worse than my face. I hate it so much. Right now my face is ok chest is pretty clear but my back is terrible. I refuse to go on accutane though too risky with all those side effects. i wish a real non-toxic cure was created by now. I feel your pain.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 03/30/2013 11:10 am

I've been there. I had a severe cystic acne breakout when I was 16. I had boils all over my face. I had a beard of acne! They eventually started growing on my back chest and even got one on my leg! My outbreak lasted until I was 19. I finally found something that works.

It's the combination of salicylic acid and sulfur. This stuff works and I swear by it! You have to be consistent with it. Nothing is going to work overnight, in one week, or even in two weeks if you have severe acne. When you use a product for one month, you should start to notice results.That doesn't mean you'll be totally clear of acne but, your face should look better. To be honest it takes about 3 months to recover from severe acne if you're using the right topical treatments.

All of us want results now from acne treatments. That's just not realistic though. I've made this mistake and I feel a lot of other people are too.

MemberMember
(@omgitsacait)

Posted : 04/02/2013 12:02 am

thanks guys. it just feels really hopeless sometimes. i'm in a graduate program right now with eleven other women who, just my luck, all have beautiful, clear skin. it makes it really tough to go to class and not feel incredibly self-conscious.

MemberMember
(@ktidridge)

Posted : 04/05/2013 5:25 am

Today is my first day on this site, and I completely relate to you... But try and remember beauty is on the inside... Don't shy away from showing someone how beautiful your personality is.. Look them in the eyes, people see past it. As discouraging as it is, people don't care nearly as much as we do... Or so I keep telling myself.

MemberMember
(@catalinaa)

Posted : 04/11/2013 10:03 pm

I hear you sister. I'm 27 and have had bouts back and forth since I was 12. Some days I can't look in the mirror with out crying or bursting into tears.

I'm trying diet elimination- was off gluten and eggs and bout of sugar free. Now I'm thinking of going gluten, egg, dairy and sugar- man its going to be hard but its seems to make a difference. Going to try for a year and see.

What are you trying or you have tried everything?

Its so hard, I know :(

MemberMember
(@ask24)

Posted : 05/07/2013 8:35 pm

I know exactly how you feel. Don't feel like you're the only one. What is worse is when a stranger comes up to you and gives you "suggestions" to improve your skin lol, that is extremely embarassing on soo many levels.

Honestly, its your diet and digestive system you have to fix in order to completely cure your skin problem

MemberMember
(@optimistsmile)

Posted : 06/26/2013 8:35 pm

I've had bad acne for years too... Actually, more than half my life (I'm 28). Have you ever had your doctor (gynecologist or endocrinologist) do blood or saliva tests? They may provide a clue as to what is causing your acne. Hypothyroidism, PCOS, and other hormonal problems can be the cause of adult acne. Your insurance should cover some basic tests. And make sure you get copies of all your lab work! They may reveal vitamin/mineral deficiencies as well.

My eye contact has gotten better... It was a struggle! But when you look people in the eye, they will look at... your eyes! NOT your acne! But if you don't look them in the eye, where are they going to look? Btw, plenty of people are so busy with their phones and gadgets that they don't even look at you anymore! So keep that head up. Smiling will help. I know that these comments sound ridiculous, but they can seriously help make everyday encounters easier. If you have to, pretend that the person opposite you is ninety years old with terrible vision (I have done this).

And you are not vain or stupid! It's not vain to feel trapped in your own body, or to want to feel normal. You're not asking to turn into a supermodel, you just want to be you. It feels like acne prevents us from being ourselves. But don't let that happen! Eat well, hydrate, exercise, sleep, laugh... These things will probably not be your cure-all, but they help me cope when things are hard, and they make me feel beautiful. smile.png I have acne, and lots of hyperpigmentation/scarring, but I believe that I will recover well. Don't lose hope!