Notifications
Clear all

Is This Acne, Or Something Else?

MemberMember
(@pdxthrowaway)

Posted : 03/26/2013 11:24 pm

These bumps on my neck have grown over the last 3-4 days. When spring break started I had none, but now it's all over the front of my neck.

I'm not quite sure it's acne though since I have had a history of eczema (not on my neck though). I've been applying raw Aloe Vera but it doesn't really help...

Here's a picture:

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/26/2013 11:34 pm

These bumps on my neck have grown over the last 3-4 days. When spring break started I had none, but now it's all over the front of my neck.

I'm not quite sure it's acne though since I have had a history of eczema (not on my neck though). I've been applying raw Aloe Vera but it doesn't really help...

Here's a picture:

It looks like acne. I have never experienced eczema, but I have had spots that look like those before.

MemberMember
(@pdxthrowaway)

Posted : 03/26/2013 11:51 pm

Here's a picture:

It looks like acne. I have never experienced eczema, but I have had spots that look like those before.

Alright, I thought so too. Because if it were an eczema outbreak I have a topical steroid that I apply to lessen it and stuff.

Does it usually form this quickly? I swear 4 days ago there was nothing on my neck, and I'm pretty hygienic. Do you think it might be hormonal related? 17/M btw, not sure if that matters.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/27/2013 12:18 am

Here's a picture:

Alright, I thought so too. Because if it were an eczema outbreak I have a topical steroid that I apply to lessen it and stuff.

Does it usually form this quickly? I swear 4 days ago there was nothing on my neck, and I'm pretty hygienic. Do you think it might be hormonal related? 17/M btw, not sure if that matters.

Actually with acne it takes sometimes two weeks to form. It just came out 4 days ago in your case. Perhaps you ate something a week or to ago to trigger something. That could include dairy, red meat, alcohol, etc.

If this has been the first time this has happened, just cleanse and moisturize as usual. If the issue persists, you may want to look into an acne fighting topical to battle that.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/27/2013 2:25 am

That looks like acne to me. Better on your neck than your face!

MemberMember
(@pdxthrowaway)

Posted : 03/27/2013 10:45 am

Here's a picture:

Actually with acne it takes sometimes two weeks to form. It just came out 4 days ago in your case. Perhaps you ate something a week or to ago to trigger something. That could include dairy, red meat, alcohol, etc.

If this has been the first time this has happened, just cleanse and moisturize as usual. If the issue persists, you may want to look into an acne fighting topical to battle that.

I actually got a few mosquito bites while camping, so it might be from that. Should I apply both aloe vera and moisturizing lotion, or are they not supposed to be applied together?

Thanks for the help!

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/27/2013 7:15 pm

Here's a picture:

I actually got a few mosquito bites while camping, so it might be from that. Should I apply both aloe vera and moisturizing lotion, or are they not supposed to be applied together?

Thanks for the help!

Actually I never tried applying aloe to acne. If those are mosquito bites I guess that would help, but for acne, I suggest the lotion. If it doesn't go away, then look into some acne topicals for that.

Hope that helps. :)

MemberMember
(@pdxthrowaway)

Posted : 03/28/2013 9:46 pm

Here's a picture:

Thanks for the help!

Actually I never tried applying aloe to acne. If those are mosquito bites I guess that would help, but for acne, I suggest the lotion. If it doesn't go away, then look into some acne topicals for that.

Hope that helps. smile.png

Thanks for the response. My neck area isn't oily at all though, which is weird. I wash it when I wake up and end up washing it when I shower at night before bed. I wear moisture wicking clothes during the night too.

I'm not too sure what the cause of this is, since my T-zone gets pretty oily but I don't have acne there except the occasionally pimple.

MemberMember
(@perspective77)

Posted : 03/28/2013 10:30 pm

I only get acne on my neck after eating dairy (cheese). Take a hard look at what you've eaten differently.

MemberMember
(@pdxthrowaway)

Posted : 03/29/2013 11:18 am

Actually my acne might be an reaction to the clobetasol propionate topical cortisosteroid I was applying for my rash. Apparently acne is a side-effect, although I've never had that happen before... I haven't eaten anything differently.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 03/29/2013 12:03 pm

I've noticed that I always get a breakout on my chest and a little on my neck when the weather changes. Usually happens when it's spring time. I found what works it to just leave it alone and don't apply any topicals. Oh and I also don't pick or touch them at all and they go away in a couple months.

Do the bumps itch?

MemberMember
(@pdxthrowaway)

Posted : 03/30/2013 12:50 pm

I've noticed that I always get a breakout on my chest and a little on my neck when the weather changes. Usually happens when it's spring time. I found what works it to just leave it alone and don't apply any topicals. Oh and I also don't pick or touch them at all and they go away in a couple months.

Do the bumps itch?

It doesn't really each. The only topical stuff I apply right now is Aloe to decrease the redness. It hasn't gotten any better, but I also don't think it has gotten any worse. It's still contained in my front neck region.

MemberMember
(@pdxthrowaway)

Posted : 03/31/2013 3:08 pm

Alright, I've been taking pictures every single day for the past 6 days or so (ever since I got these bumps) and it has definitely gotten worse. :(

I was hoping this stuff would heal by this weekend since school starts tomorrow (spring break ends).

Dang it

MemberMember
(@pdxthrowaway)

Posted : 04/02/2013 9:11 am

Update: Yesterday I visited my general practitioner. He said I had a staph infection and prescribed me 10 days of 500mg Cephalexin. Hopefully this works..