Notifications
Clear all

Finally Clear: Treating Insulin Resistance With Paleo, Cinnamon, And Minerals (With Progress Pictures)

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/26/2013 5:31 pm

I've been lurking for two years, but finally decided to make an account because I've got something to say: I'm clear, finally. After 12 years of struggle, I now know how to control my moderate acne.

In October 2011, I started eating a strict paleo diet and it cured anxiety/depression, improved my general well-being, and minimized acne.

Paleo minimized but did not stop acne completely because I was not addressing an important underlying health issue: insulin resistance. Typical symptoms: I'd regularly wake up feeling weak and starved. If I had a meal high in carbohydrates I'd get the shakes and in the next few days I'd get zits. I couldn't eat fruit by itself without breaking out the following day.

I kept hoping that strict adherence to an all natural paleo diet would fix insulin resistance, but it didn't work; I had painful acne on my face almost every day.

In January 2013, I finally acknowledged that paleo alone wouldn't solve my problems so I came to these forums to learn about what others were doing to improve insulin sensitivity. I began taking a gram of cinnamon spice after each meal. I began skipping breakfast. Even though I'd spent the past few years bad-mouthing supplements, I buckled down and bought zinc, chromium, and magnesium.

It is March. I am clear. In the past three weeks about four people have complemented my skin. It's unbelievable. See pictures below and in my gallery.

My regimen:

- I follow a modified caveman routine: wash face with plain water 2-3 times a week; regularly apply avocado or honey face masks; use ACV as a shampoo; use baking soda instead of toothpaste.

- No refined sugar, gluten, dairy, or commercially processed foods. I eat plenty of vegetables, quality meat and fish, coconut oil and fruits. I love my carbs and eat 4-5 pieces of fruit a day - as long as I eat carbs with fat, protein, and cinnamon there's no problem. Yay.

- After each meal I ingest a gram of cinnamon spice.

- I skip breakfast.

- I began my minerals campaign by taking a daily dose of 50mg of zinc, 200mcg chromium, and 100mg magnesium. I have now dropped the zinc and chromium and am only taking magnesium at night.

I will soon update this post with before and after pictures.

Just thought I'd share what's working for me.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/26/2013 6:38 pm

Don't skip break fast. There are good break fast options.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/26/2013 6:52 pm

how bad was your acne?

Do you do okay on animal fats and what about grass fed butter (or goat butter or ghee)?

Also, which exact supplements (for cinnamon) do you use?

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/26/2013 7:23 pm

Hi!

Thank you for sharing your sucess.

I'm curious, do you eat a lot of eggs? I know that most people on Paleo eat a lot of eggs, but it's a common allergen so I'm just curious...

Also, what do you mean by you eat carbs with fat? I'm sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable in the nutrition department. lol

I stick with meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit,.... but I also eat rice and beans. So I guess I'm not exactly paleo....

Would you mind giving us examples of what you eat in a day or recipe ideas?

:)

Thank you !

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/27/2013 4:49 am

how bad was your acne?

Do you do okay on animal fats and what about grass fed butter (or goat butter or ghee)?

Also, which exact supplements (for cinnamon) do you use?

I considered my acne to be moderate. Typically had several cysts and pustules covering my chin and cheeks. I'll post pics when I get my hands on my old PC this weekend.

I do not consume any dairy products. I eat a lot of animal fat from free range chicken, village goats, wild game meat, and occasional good quality lamb. I sometimes make lard from goat and lamb fat - good stuff!

I use cinnamon spice - the typical spice used in cooking and baking. I use this brand specifically, but I don't think that matters very much.

I'm curious, do you eat a lot of eggs? I know that most people on Paleo eat a lot of eggs, but it's a common allergen so I'm just curious...

Also, what do you mean by you eat carbs with fat? I'm sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable in the nutrition department. lol

I stick with meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit,.... but I also eat rice and beans. So I guess I'm not exactly paleo....

smile.png

Thank you !

Hi!

I love my eggs and will usually scrabble four free range eggs in coconut oil as a snack.

I eat fruits and starchy foods with fat (animal or coconut oil) and some protein. If I eat a banana or sweet potato without these elements within a couple of hours I will feel shaky/hypoglycemic and in the next few days - without fail - several painful zits will form.

Here's what I typically eat on a week day:

13:00 two pieces grilled chicken, banana, lots of steamed spinach, cinnamon

18:00 four free range eggs scrambled in coconut oil, apple, pear, cinnamon

20:00 goat stew or a whole fish grilled in the oven, lots of steamed bok choy, sweet potato grilled in chicken fat, avocado and lettuce salad, cinnamon

I eat a lot. My portion sizes are big! (I used to be fat and paleo made me slim, but the great thing is that I eat more now than when I used to be overweight.)

I'm a simple eater and don't make a lot of complicated recipes. I like grilling meat and fish in the oven with just sea salt and basic spices. My stews consist of meat, spices and a combination of tomoatoes, celery, carrots, or herbs.

I hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/27/2013 5:44 am

Hey sleptember!

Thank you so much for responding! Your post is really helpful!!!! Thos meals sound really good... haha =)

I think I will try to make some of those! Especially the fish and bok choy idea. ^_^

Thanks again!

<3

MemberMember
(@mikito)

Posted : 03/27/2013 6:47 am

Congratulations Acorn 59, did you have adverse side effect with Chromium, zinc and Magnesium? Why did you stop taking zinc and chromium? Have you ever tried zinc alone or the other minerals alone and did they work? I would like to know what minerals really improved your acne in your opinion.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/27/2013 9:08 am

Hi Mikito,

I started taking chromium, zinc, and magnesium at the same time so I can't say which one worked for me. I believe that all of them in conjunction played a role.

I stopped taking zinc and chromium because my skin is now good and I want to see what will happen without them. I am continuing to take magnesium because from my research it seems to be the safest of the three minerals to use long term.

I was in a hurry to drop zinc and chromium because I don't like the idea of taking these kind of dietary supplements - I find it unnatural and possibly unhealthy. I am now researching natural ways to increase magnesium intake and absorption since I believe that my insulin resistance could be caused by magnesium malabsorption.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/27/2013 10:59 am

Congrats your regime and diet is very similar to mine. Its the way to go, low GI whole foods cutting out gluten, dairy and processed foods. Washing face 2-3 times a week, exfoliating with honey is magic been doing that again myself and love it. Zinc, Chromium are ideal I don't know why you stopped, there's no harm in taking them in the doses you have, and Chromium is essential for keeping blood sugar at bay. Thing with me though is that I have digestion problems if I eat fruit with anything else. I eat bananas alone and will have 3-4 ripe all by themselves and Im fine, not bloating or unease at all and don't break out from it. Thats why everyone is different though and we gotta find what works for us. ACV is my favorite shampoo ever leaves my hair feelin so good and soft. I also put a little bit of baking soda in from time to time to keep away dandruff.

As for skipping breakfast you can start juicing veggies and have that in the morning. Great way to get in vitamins and minerals and detox your body, balance pH etc.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/27/2013 5:54 pm

Thehoper,

Good to hear that you also find success with this way of eating and 'lifestyle.'

How long have you been supplementing with zinc and chromium? The things I have read online scare me from going any further with these minerals. It seems that prolonged supplementation with zinc will lead to deficiencies in other micronutrients and a number studies (readily available through google) demonstrate the ill effects of long term use of chromium.

I skip breakfast because I like the effects of intermittent fasting. Fasting for 15+ hours fills me with energy and makes me feel great.

But I do like the idea of juicing veggies, thanks for the suggestion. I used to make a lot of tasty green smoothies before my blender broke, I miss those.

Thanks for sharing your story.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 03/27/2013 6:59 pm

Congratulations on being clear! The great thing about a healthy diet is that the health benefits extend far beyond just acne.

I'm curious, did you also deal with oily skin when you had acne?

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/27/2013 7:41 pm

Jofo, I agree - a healthy diet is beneficial for more than just acne. The most important thing my diet did for me was help resolve a number of debilitating psychological problems that sometimes required hospitalization. Because of paleo, I am now a completely different person - happy, calm, energetic, and stable.

I used to suffer from very oily skin. I believe my caveman routine helped balance this out. However, I still experience moderate to slight post-meal oiliness. I just pat it off with a tissue and then I'm good until the next meal. I think I need to research whether this type of oiliness after meals is normal or if it is indicative of underlying health issues.

MemberMember
(@mikito)

Posted : 03/31/2013 4:27 am

Hi sleptember, I am female, 43 years and suffering cystic acne since I was 15, and still suffering. I have been taken diane 35 for 3 years, and recently I have been taken zinc gluconate 30 mg for 2 months, and it seems to help more than other stuff. I don't know if I should add chromium (200 mg) and magnesium (100 mg) as you do, but I am scary of taking so many suplements for a long term.

Do you take some vitamine suplement with minerals?

How do you know you have insulin resistance? I had my blood tested a month ago, but my insulin / glucose levels ( I don,t remember well if it was insulin or glucose) were 86, and those levels are supposed to be normal levels.

Please keep updating, I would like to know if you break out just with magnesium, because that will mean that zinc + chromium is very important. By the way, does anyone prescribe you zinc + chromium + magnesium or you searched that info on the web?

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/31/2013 2:35 pm

As promised, I have pictures to show the improvements I've made.
February 18, 2012

March 31, 2013

This is where my skin is now. I have more pictures in my gallery.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/31/2013 2:59 pm

Hi sleptember, I am female, 43 years and suffering cystic acne since I was 15, and still suffering. I have been taken diane 35 for 3 years, and recently I have been taken zinc gluconate 30 mg for 2 months, and it seems to help more than other stuff. I don't know if I should add chromium (200 mg) and magnesium (100 mg) as you do, but I am scary of taking so many suplements for a long term.

Do you take some vitamine suplement with minerals?

How do you know you have insulin resistance? I had my blood tested a month ago, but my insulin / glucose levels ( I don,t remember well if it was insulin or glucose) were 86, and those levels are supposed to be normal levels.

Please keep updating, I would like to know if you break out just with magnesium, because that will mean that zinc + chromium is very important. By the way, does anyone prescribe you zinc + chromium + magnesium or you searched that info on the web?

Hi!

I don't take any vitamin supplements - I try to eat nutritious foods instead (lots of veggies, fruit, and quality meat).

Two years ago, when I was suffering terribly from reactive hypoglycemia I went to a doctor who did blood tests and told me that I was "perfectly healthy." I am self-diagnosed with insulin resistance. I arrived at this conclusion by doing a lot of research online and reading about others who experience the same symptoms I suffer(ed) from.

I started taking those three minerals because I read that people on acne.org suffering from insulin resistance noticed improvements with these supplements.

Mikito, what is your diet like? How does it affect your energy?

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 03/31/2013 4:29 pm

Jofo, I agree - a healthy diet is beneficial for more than just acne. The most important thing my diet did for me was help resolve a number of debilitating psychological problems that sometimes required hospitalization. Because of paleo, I am now a completely different person - happy, calm, energetic, and stable.

I used to suffer from very oily skin. I believe my caveman routine helped balance this out. However, I still experience moderate to slight post-meal oiliness. I just pat it off with a tissue and then I'm good until the next meal. I think I need to research whether this type of oiliness after meals is normal or if it is indicative of underlying health issues.

That really is an amazing improvement. Are there any specific fruits or vegetables that you avoid? I see some people say they have to avoid spicy foods like peppers or particularly sugary fruits like apples.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/31/2013 4:52 pm

Thanks!

I avoid pineapple because it used to break me out terribly. When it comes back into season, I'm planning to have a few pieces with cinnamon and coconut oil to see how I react.

I'm also temporarily avoiding fresh chili peppers because I think they might be responsible for the few breakouts I had in January. I might re-introduce them into my diet soon. Will post results.

Other than that, I'm not consciously avoiding any other fruits and vegetables. Thankfully, I don't have many difficulties with fresh foods.

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 04/01/2013 12:53 am

fructose causes insulin resistance. fructose is immediately shuttled to the liver. while glucose is used for energy. i would focus more on starches, than fruit. glucose in general.

MemberMember
(@mikito)

Posted : 04/01/2013 2:37 am

Great improvement sleptember!

Regarding to my diet, I have a meal based on carbohydrates, as you said you had in the past. I love bread, spaguetti, potatoes and rice with meat. I know its the wrong diet for skin and I should try to have more vegetables, fruit, and meat from now on. And abp

Yesterday I was researching online about insuline resistance and I had sympthomps like a lot of wrinkles in the neck, superoily skin, acne, hair loss, dandruff, but I am not sure if I have insulin resistance. I also feel very week and low pressure. Don,t you think there must be a way to confirm the insulin resistance? I mean, you can avoid carbs and sugar, you spike insuline and you produce more testosterone, and more testosterone = more acne ( without beeing insulin resistance). I would like to know if I have insulin resistance, but also be confirmed by some test and my test of glucose are perfect.

Have you ever tried spironolactone, diane35 or other drugs before?

By the way, if you have insulin resistance, there is a drug called metformin( glucophage) very beneficial for that condition. Have you tried it?

How long have you been clear since you don't take any suplement, and I don't understand well because you said in your previous post that after having paleo diet, you realised you couldn`t be clear just with the paleo alone, and you started taking suplements ( zinc + chromium + magnessium)

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 04/01/2013 2:58 am

Mikito,

Try to get that confirmation, if that's what you need. But in the meantime, since you fit so many symptoms, why not proceed on the assumption that you suffer from insulin resistance and begin treating it at home?

Personally, I don't see the need for validation from a doctor. There are a lot of gaps in conventional medicine, particularly where diet is involved. Most GPs have no clue about nutrition and think I'm an extremist for eating the way I do.

I'd rather treat my insulin resistance and other health problems through good nutrition.

I will not be trying metaformin or any other drugs. I've never been on any of the drugs you mention.

Sorry if there is any confusion about my supplements: I am taking mineral supplements (magnesium) but I am not taking any vitamin supplements (like Vitamin A, B5, C, etc).

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/01/2013 7:21 am

fructose causes insulin resistance. fructose is immediately shuttled to the liver. while glucose is used for energy. i would focus more on starches, than fruit. glucose in general.

there are other ways of taking care of insulin resistance.dont cut fruits out of ur diet.they are good for ur health(unless u are intolerant to something in particular).

i've been having black grapes,cucumber,apple,papaya for more than 2 mnths now and am not effected badly.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/01/2013 7:26 am

vitamin c reduces blood sugar and beta carotene maintains proper sugar levels. Don't cut fruits from ur diet maybe avoid citrus fruits.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/01/2013 8:00 am

I've been lurking for two years, but finally decided to make an account because I've got something to say: I'm clear, finally. After 12 years of struggle, I now know how to control my moderate acne.

In October 2011, I started eating a strict paleo diet and it cured anxiety/depression, improved my general well-being, and minimized acne.

Paleo minimized but did not stop acne completely because I was not addressing an important underlying health issue: insulin resistance. Typical symptoms: I'd regularly wake up feeling weak and starved. If I had a meal high in carbohydrates I'd get the shakes and in the next few days I'd get zits. I couldn't eat fruit by itself without breaking out the following day.

I kept hoping that strict adherence to an all natural paleo diet would fix insulin resistance, but it didn't work; I had painful acne on my face almost every day.

In January 2013, I finally acknowledged that paleo alone wouldn't solve my problems so I came to these forums to learn about what others were doing to improve insulin sensitivity. I began taking a gram of cinnamon spice after each meal. I began skipping breakfast. Even though I'd spent the past few years bad-mouthing supplements, I buckled down and bought zinc, chromium, and magnesium.

It is March. I am clear. In the past three weeks about four people have complemented my skin. It's unbelievable. See pictures below and in my gallery.

My regimen:

- I follow a modified caveman routine: wash face with plain water 2-3 times a week; regularly apply avocado or honey face masks; use ACV as a shampoo; use baking soda instead of toothpaste.

- No refined sugar, gluten, dairy, or commercially processed foods. I eat plenty of vegetables, quality meat and fish, coconut oil and fruits. I love my carbs and eat 4-5 pieces of fruit a day - as long as I eat carbs with fat, protein, and cinnamon there's no problem. Yay.

- After each meal I ingest a gram of cinnamon spice.

- I skip breakfast.

- I began my minerals campaign by taking a daily dose of 50mg of zinc, 200mcg chromium, and 100mg magnesium. I have now dropped the zinc and chromium and am only taking magnesium at night.

I will soon update this post with before and after pictures.

Just thought I'd share what's working for me.

hello again!

please dont skip breakfast.it's the most important meal of the day.it not only improves ur metabolic rate but also energizes and signals ur body.it's got load others benefits that u'll notice in longterm.its a part of healthy diet.a must!

try not to have so many eggs..two maximum.the egg yolk has 71% of the cholestrol the body needs per day.

so i've read..

i think i will start using cinnamon as well.i think i'll just chew a stick after each meal.we have the raw sticks u know.not the branded powdered ones.i think sticks will be just as fine if not better.

what exactly do u think it does btw?

i've read that it dries out the skin when applied topically.plus its anti-bacterial and helps against yeast infection too.lowers cholestrol level and is a blood regulator.

also,i dont understand..u wash ur face only 2-3 time a week?????!

how's that possible?

i'm not on paleo exactly cause i have vegetables like beans,capsicum,potato,sweet potato and also white rice etc

but even thats healthy.what say?

and i agree that a healthy has a positive effect on mind and soul;not just body.=)

dont u have fruits like grapes or papaya or u know others like strawberries,berries etc??

vitamin c reduces blood sugar and beta carotene maintains proper sugar levels. Don't cut fruits from ur diet maybe avoid citrus fruits.

citrus fruits have vit c.

lemon for example.

Hi!

Thank you for sharing your sucess.

smile.png

Thank you !

hello!

i eat beans and rice(white) too.

i've heard beans are rich in vitamin-b.

also eggs aint bad unless u're allergic.

i have an egg almost everyday.it's got protein and also other nutrients.

and like i was saying sleptember about the cholestrol content so too many might be a bad idea.

Great improvement sleptember!

Regarding to my diet, I have a meal based on carbohydrates, as you said you had in the past. I love bread, spaguetti, potatoes and rice with meat. I know it´s the wrong diet for skin and I should try to have more vegetables, fruit, and meat from now on. And abp

Yesterday I was researching online about insuline resistance and I had sympthomps like a lot of wrinkles in the neck, superoily skin, acne, hair loss, dandruff, but I am not sure if I have insulin resistance. I also feel very week and low pressure. Don,t you think there must be a way to confirm the insulin resistance? I mean, you can avoid carbs and sugar, you spike insuline and you produce more testosterone, and more testosterone = more acne ( without beeing insulin resistance). I would like to know if I have insulin resistance, but also be confirmed by some test and my test of glucose are perfect.

Have you ever tried spironolactone, diane35 or other drugs before?

By the way, if you have insulin resistance, there is a drug called metformin( glucophage) very beneficial for that condition. Have you tried it?

How long have you been clear since you don't take any suplement, and I don't understand well because you said in your previous post that after having paleo diet, you realised you couldn`t be clear just with the paleo alone, and you started taking suplements ( zinc + chromium + magnessium)

Mikito,

Try to get that confirmation, if that's what you need. But in the meantime, since you fit so many symptoms, why not proceed on the assumption that you suffer from insulin resistance and begin treating it at home?

Personally, I don't see the need for validation from a doctor. There are a lot of gaps in conventional medicine, particularly where diet is involved. Most GPs have no clue about nutrition and think I'm an extremist for eating the way I do.

I'd rather treat my insulin resistance and other health problems through good nutrition.

I will not be trying metaformin or any other drugs. I've never been on any of the drugs you mention.

Sorry if there is any confusion about my supplements: I am taking mineral supplements (magnesium) but I am not taking any vitamin supplements (like Vitamin A, B5, C, etc).

my derma had prescribed me 'zevit' about a mnth ago.

capsules of vit-b complex and c with zinc sulphate.

it's got zn sulphate.vit b2,nicotinamide,b12,b6,calcium panthothanate(heaven knows whats that for),folic acid,vit c,biotin.

why is chromimium and magnesium needed?

what food have them?

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 04/02/2013 1:29 pm

Please refer to these links to understand why the cholesterol risk of eggs is a myth:

1. Why you should eat more egg yolks

2. Eating eggs has no effect on cholesterol levels

3. Cholesterol Guide to help us understand that cholesterol isn't the problem

MemberMember
(@mikito)

Posted : 04/09/2013 4:55 am

Thank you for your advice, Sleptemper. I am currently taking zinc + cinammon (quarter of a spoun x3). Cinammon is awesome, I have been doing a research online and besides lowering sugar, it has antiinflamatory properties.

Are you still acne - free without the supplementation you took before? I mean, without magnesium, zinc and chromium.