Notifications
Clear all

Chapstick ?

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/22/2013 12:57 pm

What kind of Chap sticks did everyone use while on Accutane I'm just curious whats working for everyone ! smile.png and does anyone have a rash on your hands like little red bumps ? I'm 22 and on week 5 day 31 of Accutane 30mg lol its kicking my butt. sad.png Wouldn't mind making some friends on here to complain with lol since we all most likely have similar side effects !

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/22/2013 3:42 pm

Hi there wavey.gif

I use Aquafor by Eucerin. They sell an actual chapstick, but I buy the 1.75oz tube that says "Healing Oilment/ Advanced Therapy." I've tried everything under the sun for far (I'm on day 27 I think) and this is the best thing I've used.

Also, as for the red bumps, I got those too. They felt really wierd, and they were just a touch itchy. They went away after about a week of having them. I am on 40mgs and so far my side effects have been extremely managable. I hope to be upped to 80mgs soon so that I can finish my course quicker (for financial reasons).

But I'm always here to listen and give feedback if your in a particularly bitchy mood lol.

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/22/2013 4:57 pm

lol yea I'm not far in yet but the chap lips are killing my sad.png I'm a really bad picker so i just keep pulling the skin off like a dumbie because i hate the feeling of them being chapped ! i do the Aquaphor stuff before bed because it makes my tongue tingly like numb ? lol and it taste AWFUL if u get it in ur mouth soo i GLOB it on before bed i started using DR DANS which i had to order offline and just received today my lips this morning were completely gross sad.png forgot the aquaphor last night. yea my rash is small right now my sister said it gets WAY worse but it feels...scaly ugh im turning into a reptile sad.png

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/22/2013 5:17 pm

Hmm, my experience with Aquafor has been totally different. I like it because it doesn't feel or taste like basically.. anything. I wish you liked it more, because it really is a miracle worker. Another thing I use from time to time, which will seem weird, is Vicks Vapor Rub. I use it around my nose (because my nose is itchy and peely) and on my lips. It works a lot like Aquafor, but lacks the staying power to some degree. Plus, I love the last and smell.

Maybe you could give that a shot..?

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/22/2013 5:20 pm

ill have to try that i work in a dermatology office so we did a LITTLE microderm around my nose just because i had black heads we couldnt get out lol so i put aquaphor on that lol what moisturizer have you been using on ur face? and all over?

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/22/2013 5:33 pm

Honestly, I haven't been *that* dry compared to a lot of the posts I read. My face has been the worst (still, not too bad), and I just use the Walmart brand of Cetaphil Extra Moisture. I then go around my nose with either Vicks or Aquafor.

For my body I've been using Gold Bond Ultimate Sheer Ribbons in Silk Softness. I mostly like it because it smells awesome and it comes in a really cool bottle that is fun to press lol. However, it does get the job done from what I can tell. I'm not itchy.

Here is the what the bottle looks like: http://www.goldbondultimate.com/sheer-ribbons.html

I'll have to update as my course progresses and my dose is upped (which, if my blood work is good, should be totally do-able since my symptoms have been so managable). Honestly, my worst symptom so far has been my lips and hair. I used to have super greasy hair and now it is so stinkin' dry it's not even funny!

In your picture you look quite petite; perhaps your symptoms are worse than mine because you are smaller than I am..? I'm 5'4 - 145lbs.

(BTW, I'm jealous that you work in a derm office! Constant feedback from the doc!)

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/22/2013 6:13 pm

im 4"10 115 lbs lol yea its nice to be in a derm office i snatch samples of everything all the time haha and i say dr i need BIAFINE !! and then he writes the script for it so it is kinda a winning deal lol the master esthetician that works in my office her Daughter used that on the corners of her lips and stuff apparently it was awesome ? but u have to get a script for it. and i get to talk to all are accutane patients that come in for there once a month f/u so thats always nice!

MemberMember
(@joe003)

Posted : 03/22/2013 9:09 pm

Aquaphor is a GODSEND!!! I have tried over 12 other products and nothing else compares. Use it liberally and it actually like gets soaked into your lips working as a constant healing agent for really bad chapped days.

MemberMember
(@hello880)

Posted : 03/22/2013 9:58 pm

I use Aquaphor "Lip Repair". I just dab a little onto my fingers and then smear it on my lips and it makes the peeling stop almost instantaneously :D

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/23/2013 4:27 am

I'm also on accutane, 40mg right now, and I've gotten pretty good at managing my lips. For moisturizing them, I just use the cerave moisturizer. I can't stand anything made for lips because they are either greasy or waxy, not to mention super shiny(which shouldn't be a problem for you though, being a girl).

As for peeling lips, I just get my lips wet and rub the dead skin off with my fingers. I found that this method doesn't damage my lips nearly as much as picking did, and it makes my lips last almost a whole day before I feel like I should pick at them again. Hope this helps. By doing these two things, my lips went from gross to decent.

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/23/2013 11:14 am

Oh, for the peeling, I use a soft toothbrush every night to swipe if off. During the day I have very very minimal peeling on the inside of my lips, and nobody has even been able to tell so far that I have chapped lips but me.

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 03/23/2013 12:13 pm

Omg my lips are driving me crazy! I'm only a week in and I can't believe how quick my lips got dry. I can't stop picking at them and they're super crusty and bleeding:(

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/23/2013 8:34 pm

yea my lips got dry WAY FAST to and i was peeling it off so it was cracking and bleeding and looked AWFUL and then a friend at work was like just get a moist paper towl or wash cloth and rub the dead skin off and i was like oh man live savor !!! lol but if i forget to aquaphor at night im doomed !! :) im excited i found this site tho so im not the only person suffering haha

does anyone else have the "accutane rash" dry like red circle spots mine are starting on my hands..it was just my right and now its my left to my purse has become like a treasure trove of moisture products.....for everything haha lips eyes nose hands face lol

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/23/2013 10:11 pm

Yea I had that on the back of my hands and on my forearms. Moisturizer helped when I had them, but they're gone now. It helps if you don't get the back of your hands wet when you wash your hands, because that dries them even more.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 03/23/2013 10:58 pm

My lips aren't all that chapped they just burn constantly like they are sunburnt. Anyone else experiencing this? Any remedies? I am moisturizing frequently with Aquaphor and cocoa butter which helps some.

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/23/2013 11:16 pm

wish i could give advice on the lips feeling like there burnt but mine are just chapped and well theres hope if they went away !! :)

MemberMember
(@ls206816)

Posted : 03/25/2013 12:43 pm

I use blistex medicated Chapstick during the day, which I use to hate but now love. And then at night I use tons of aquaphor. Also when I put lotion on my face I put it on my lips too. It's kind of strange but it works for me!

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/26/2013 11:34 pm

i started during aquaphor at nite to right before bed i like cake it on lol my lips arnt chapped anymore dry but not chapped the corners are cracked tho and wont hell i think id rather have chapped lips ! i cant eat and i feel like everyone is prolly like WHAT IS THT !! lol

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/27/2013 12:36 am

I know I already said this, but you could try using moisturizer on your lips before you put on the aquaphor or chapstick. I found that chapstick and lip products in general are designed to put a greasy barrier on your lips to protect them from the environment, but they don't actually moisturize. Moisturizer is the only thing I use on my lips, and my lips are doing great.

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/28/2013 5:19 pm

Omni i stopped using lip stuff at all and start using aquaphor healing ointment what u put on wounds and stuff like neosporin works AMAING and its so gresey and stuff !! <3 it lol i use Vitamin E oil on my dry patches of skin and a organic lotion on my body (not face use crave PM and AM on my face)