Notifications
Clear all

What Kind Of Acne Is This? [Pics]Need Reccomendations

MemberMember
(@jirgen)

Posted : 03/13/2013 5:19 pm

Okay so, what kind of acne is this? I usually have to pop them in the morning because I feel ashamed to go out with these ugly large whiteheads (healing pimple wounds are better, I guess).

I get 5-10 of these on my face daily, and plus on my back and scalp too. I get very oily over the day, though my skin is flaky and tight after washing it. My regimen is Clean & Clear Gentle Cleanser (no SLS), Benzoyl Peroxide 5% gel and a gentle 5.5 pH moisturizer. I tried using only water for a period of time but the whiteheads went crazy. Also, if I masturbate a lot I notice a definite increase in whiteheads. I am 22.

I went to a dermatologist last year and she put me on Minocycline 100mg for 10 days and by the time I was done with it it cleared my face 100% (only red marks from past acne remained, still had some active on back and scalp, but not as much as before); and after 2-3 weeks they came back like they were before. Few months later I went on Minocycline again and it stopped new acne after like 2 days of using it. They still came back sometime after finishing the antibiotic course. What does this tell you?

In 2010, I used Accutane for 5-6 months (i had all kinds of acne, including cystic) and it cleared me completely; but few months later oiliness came back with these persistent whiteheads. Since then, whiteheads are like 90% of acne I get.

I stayed home for the weekend and decided not to touch them at all (pics were taken Sunday night).

Any recommendations for me?

My budget is low and since I'm from Europe I really don't have money for the Acne.org Regimen. Recently, I stopped drinking milk but it seems it made no difference. I drink zinc effervescent tablets now, and try to eat as healthy as I can. The same dermatologist that prescribed me Minocycline wanted to put me back on Accutane last year, but I refused.

post-204638-0-03909000-1363212984_thumb.

post-204638-0-29774400-1363212987_thumb.

post-204638-0-27559400-1363212992_thumb.

post-204638-0-79070300-1363212995_thumb.

post-204638-0-04153900-1363213000_thumb.

post-204638-0-03909000-1363212984_thumb.

post-204638-0-29774400-1363212987_thumb.

post-204638-0-27559400-1363212992_thumb.

post-204638-0-79070300-1363212995_thumb.

post-204638-0-04153900-1363213000_thumb.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 03/13/2013 7:30 pm

It tells me that you should stay on the antibiotic if it works.. Why would you stop something that works for you..

MemberMember
(@jirgen)

Posted : 03/13/2013 8:19 pm

My dermatologist didn't recommend longer usage, but I'm not sure if I'd like to constantly use antibiotics because of the side effects. I was surprised when I read topics which say that U.S. doctors prescribe Minocycline for longer periods of like 6 months or more. I'm just not sure that it is the right long-term solution.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 03/13/2013 10:50 pm

I'm on doxycycline and April 1st will be 3 Months for me. I plan on using it for 10-12 months..

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 03/14/2013 12:30 am

Those are not whiteheads, those are inflammatory pustules and hence why the antibioitcs worked to clear them up. Antibioitcs and BP only work on inflammatory acne (ie. infected lesions) and have no effect on whiteheads. Your only options are antibotics or accutane. If you are afraid of taking systemic antiobiotics long term have your derm perscribe a topical antibioitc, it is likely to have very good effects although it would be difficult and perhaps messy to apply on scalp and back.

MemberMember
(@jirgen)

Posted : 03/15/2013 1:05 pm

I would consider a 2nd course of Accutane, bu I'm just not sure that the acne won't come back like after the 1st course (they seem to come back with oiliness).

I will actually buy a topical antibiotic myself if I don't need a prescription, to try it asap. Which one do you recommend for this type of acne? I'll research the forums too. I will schedule an appointment with my dermatologist anyway. Would you guys recommend saw palmetto or something similar, to reduce the raging hormones?

@RonThatBull14, did you experience any side effects? I had a feeling that my brain was clouded when I was on antibiotics (happened with Accutane too), but I'm not sure if it was a placebo, though.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 03/15/2013 1:24 pm

I would consider a 2nd course of Accutane, bu I'm just not sure that the acne won't come back like after the 1st course (they seem to come back with oiliness).

I will actually buy a topical antibiotic myself if I don't need a prescription, to try it asap. Which one do you recommend for this type of acne? I'll research the forums too. I will schedule an appointment with my dermatologist anyway. Would you guys recommend saw palmetto or something similar, to reduce the raging hormones?

@RonThatBull14, did you experience any side effects? I had a feeling that my brain was clouded when I was on antibiotics (happened with Accutane too), but I'm not sure if it was a placebo, though.

Nope and it was weird because common side effects include nausea, vomitting, upset stomach, headaches etc. And I never once experienced any of that. I do have a really good immune system though haven't been sick in years.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 03/15/2013 11:14 pm

Okay so, what kind of acne is this? I usually have to pop them in the morning because I feel ashamed to go out with these ugly large whiteheads (healing pimple wounds are better, I guess).

I get 5-10 of these on my face daily, and plus on my back and scalp too. I get very oily over the day, though my skin is flaky and tight after washing it. My regimen is Clean & Clear Gentle Cleanser (no SLS), Benzoyl Peroxide 5% gel and a gentle 5.5 pH moisturizer. I tried using only water for a period of time but the whiteheads went crazy. Also, if I masturbate a lot I notice a definite increase in whiteheads. I am 22.

I went to a dermatologist last year and she put me on Minocycline 100mg for 10 days and by the time I was done with it it cleared my face 100% (only red marks from past acne remained, still had some active on back and scalp, but not as much as before); and after 2-3 weeks they came back like they were before. Few months later I went on Minocycline again and it stopped new acne after like 2 days of using it. They still came back sometime after finishing the antibiotic course. What does this tell you?

In 2010, I used Accutane for 5-6 months (i had all kinds of acne, including cystic) and it cleared me completely; but few months later oiliness came back with these persistent whiteheads. Since then, whiteheads are like 90% of acne I get.

I stayed home for the weekend and decided not to touch them at all (pics were taken Sunday night).

Any recommendations for me?

My budget is low and since I'm from Europe I really don't have money for the Acne.org Regimen. Recently, I stopped drinking milk but it seems it made no difference. I drink zinc effervescent tablets now, and try to eat as healthy as I can. The same dermatologist that prescribed me Minocycline wanted to put me back on Accutane last year, but I refused.

Do these itch? If so it could be some sort of folliculitis. Hibiclens wash works to kill gram positive and gram negative bacteria.

MemberMember
(@jirgen)

Posted : 03/16/2013 5:00 pm

The ones on the scalp do itch quite a lot. And the ones on the face and back get itchy too, but not that much. I think my dermatologist established that it is folliculitis (atleast the scalp ones) caused by puberty hormones or whatever. She told me her patients usually got clear by the age of 25 or 26 from hormonal acne. But who knows really, I'm thinking of visiting another doctor to get a second opinion.