Notifications
Clear all

Im Looking To Get Rid Of My Acne. I Need Advice Please

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 03/13/2013 4:39 pm

OK so some background information. Im 27, male, health, go to the gym and generally eat healthy bar drinking beer. I never had acne as a teenager but then when I was 18 it started and since then its got worse.

I've used more prescription drugs with out any such look. I used to have acne on my back and chest but I've grown out of that, its just on my face.

I had been using Zineryt for a good few years and it seemed to work in that it would remove the smaller spots and the spots from under my skin but would cause big painful spots to rise. Recently in the last month I've been getting what I believe are eczema patches on my cheek and under my chin, this is making me believe its the Zineryt that's causing it so I've stopped using it.

When I have my skin under control the most I was using Zineryt in the morning and night, Quinoderm face wash morning and night and then moisturising in the morning.

I'm now using Clearsil perfectaWash, I don't know if this is the best product to use but it doesn't make my skin sting or anything. I used Simple for Men Shaving Gel and Moisturiser.

For shaving I shave every other day at the moment as I think my hair doesn't grow enough to do it every day. Also I have to shave upwards to get anywhere near a close shave. How do you get a nice smooth face by just shaving downwards?

Bascially I'm looking for advice on everything, best topical cream to use, moisturiser, shaving gel/cream. I've also been putting a lot of E45 cream on my face to see if that will work and help me.

Part of me is think maybe I should start from scratch and try the regimen. Got for the Quinoderm 5% cream and use the Quinoderm Facewash too with a good moisturiser. Do you think that's a good idea.

Here are some photos of my face, the light is making it look like my skin is kinda clear but there soo many spots under my skin. I just want my skin to be clear.

Also could you tell me what type of acne I have, is it mild or moderate?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

post-112312-0-67326800-1363210504_thumb.

post-112312-0-34908700-1363210535_thumb.

post-112312-0-07832000-1363210647_thumb.

post-112312-0-67326800-1363210504_thumb.

post-112312-0-34908700-1363210535_thumb.

post-112312-0-07832000-1363210647_thumb.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/13/2013 5:07 pm

Well the good news is that your acne looks relatively mild, similar to what mine was like. I did the acne.org regimen which got me clear in a matter of weeks, but I had to stop due partly to lazyness and the dryness it causes. Your skin does seem a pretty good candidate for it though. Your complexion otherwise is great and you have no scars (from what I can see).

I say give it a try. Follow it to the letter. Get clear!

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 03/13/2013 5:30 pm

Hi LewisS thanks for the reply.

Im in the UK so Im not sure if I can get hold of the Regimen but was thinking of getting similar products and following the regimen.

Would these products work:

Shave Gel: Aveeno Shave Gel

Face Wash: Quinoderm Face Wash (Though from what I can see its out of stock im most places ATM :-( )

Cream: Quinoderm 5% (Though from what I can see its out of stock im most places ATM :-( )

Moisturise: Im not sure, Would Simple For Men be a good one or should I go for an Aveeno one?

Anu suggestions for a good face wash and a benzoyl peroxide face cream?

Also should I have every day or every other day

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/13/2013 5:39 pm

No problem.

I live in the UK too and I ordered the acne.org BP from amazon, as it's 2.5% (which causes less irritation and works just as well) and gel based (gel absorbs so much better than cream). The BP is the vital stage of the acne.org regimen so I'd recommend you get a tube of that. It came up to £20, but it lasts so long compared to the shitty little tubes from Superdrug.

I used that alongside a cleanser and moisturiser of my choice. The cleanser was Biore Combination Skin Cleanser and the moisturiser, Clean and Clear Dual Action (which I still use to this day, very effective). You may need to use a moisturiser like Aveeno in the early days of the regimen as it gets quite drying.

If you must use a store alternative BP, I'd advise getting Neutrogena on the Spot, as it's recommended by Dan as a substitute. I think that's also gel based.

You could probably go ahead and start the regimen with the Quinoderm for now until the acne.org one arrives. Good luck! smile.png

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 03/18/2013 1:27 pm

I went to my doctors today for some advice and medication. He said my acne isn't bad enough for Accutane but said topical alone wouldn't be enough and that I have cystic acne.

Now I'm sure I've tried all the antibiotics before but I'm going to give them a go again. I have Tetralysal (Lymecycline). I have 2 months worth. so I'm going to take one a day for 2 months and start using the Quinoderm 5 again, starting on my forehead as that's not as sensitive as the rest of my face and ill build up to my cheeks after and see how it does.

Its annoying as I'm 27 and I shouldn't be getting this kind of acne, it seems to get worse the older I get.

Silly question but is there any chance Ill grow out of it?

MemberMember
(@looking2thefuture)

Posted : 03/18/2013 4:36 pm

Hey im exactly the same as you as im 27 years of age and my acne has got better then worse after starting at 18 it sucks and after thinking i was on a clear run its come back for me I also have lots more red marks than you. The derm has told me that eventaully I will grow out of it but its hard to know exactly!. Could be months could be years.

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 03/18/2013 4:55 pm

I feel your pain mate. Im just trying anything within reason to get rid of them. I too hope I will grow out of it. I just hope im not 40 by the time it happens!

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:25 pm

I am 27 as well. I have acne on my back and I have the same kind of acne as yours on my face as well. The acne on my back is enough to get me on Roaccutane. The acne was much severe in the past though. Do you have an oily skin?

MemberMember
(@halfawake)

Posted : 03/22/2013 2:58 am

I can only suggest what has worked for me. I searched for an effective treatment for me for over 9 years...kind of obssively. Here is my regimen that I created for myself using otc products:

* This regimen can be quite drying, so use plenty of moisturizer and I'd start out with small amounts until your skin gets used to the products. I've been on the regimen for a few years so my skin is used to it, not sure how it might affect other people.

Products List:

Main Products (The ones I use everyday):

- Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser, Sensitive Skin (I start the regimen by wash with this gently for about 10 seconds)

- Acne.org Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% Gel (Follow Dan's instructions)

- Acne.org Moisturizer OR Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion OR CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. I currently use all three of these interchangably. Each have their pros and cons. Try them and pick whatever your like the best. (Put on as last step)

- The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Foaming Cleanser (I use this in the shower...usually after I wash with the Clean & Clear cleanser. It seems to help remove that final 1-2% of zits that seem to surive even after following the acne.org regimen)

- The Body Shop Tea Tree Blackhead Exfoliating Wash (As an exfoliator, it's laughable, it doesn't have enough granules to actually remove any build up, but I use it as another face wash in the shower. It seems to help remove that final 1-2% of zits that seem to surive even after following the acne.org regimen)

Periodic Products:

- St. Ives Apricot Scrub (I only use this to remove dead/dried out skin that builds up on my face, if you don't get that, you don't need this)

- Any Sulfur 3.5% solution (I only use this on certain zits to dry them out if they're being especially problematic)

- The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Mask (One of the least irritating masks that i've worn)

- PanOxyl 4% Acne Creamy Wash (I use periodically in the shower)

- Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment 2% SA (I'm not a big fan of SA as an ingredient, but using it ONLY on active zits, it does seem to help. If I use it beyond where the zits are it seems to irritate my skin and break me out more)

- I switch between various 10% BP spot treatments. I ONLY use this on active zits before I go to bed and sometimes, depending on the other "Periodic products" that I used that day I very well may skip putting any on since 10% BP is crazy drying.

*Again, just to make it clear, I only use the Periodic products when my skin is feeling oily. I have really oily skin. I basically just use those based on the moment and how my skin is feeling. The "Main Products" are the things that I use everyday and is what I consider my regimen. Yes, I do use a lot of products, lol, but it works.

However, really the Acne.org 2.5% BP is probably the most drying thing on this list that I use everyday. Just use plenty of moisturizer, its not as bad as I make it out to be.

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 03/22/2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Im still using the same face wash as its nice, foams a lot and doesn't irritate my skin. I'm using a clearisil rapid action treatment cream for active spots only. I then apply BP 5% on my forehead and cheeks, I'm slowly applying more every 3 days to get my face used to it. After that I moisturise. I use simple light moisturiser at the moment.

I looked for aveeno but couldn't find a face moisturiser only a body one. Is the body one the one you are all on about but it can be used on your face?

My skin isn't really really oily, some days its fine, some days it seem a little bit oily but its never greasy. So far the BP isn't drying my face out too much but that may change given time.

Iv will keep you posted with weekly updated to see if the meds and all my topical treatments are working.

MemberMember
(@has001)

Posted : 03/23/2013 12:35 pm

Has anyone got acne on their back? I have really bad acne on my back

MemberMember
(@halfawake)

Posted : 03/23/2013 8:21 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Im still using the same face wash as its nice, foams a lot and doesn't irritate my skin. I'm using a clearisil rapid action treatment cream for active spots only. I then apply BP 5% on my forehead and cheeks, I'm slowly applying more every 3 days to get my face used to it. After that I moisturise. I use simple light moisturiser at the moment.

I looked for aveeno but couldn't find a face moisturiser only a body one. Is the body one the one you are all on about but it can be used on your face?

My skin isn't really really oily, some days its fine, some days it seem a little bit oily but its never greasy. So far the BP isn't drying my face out too much but that may change given time.

Iv will keep you posted with weekly updated to see if the meds and all my topical treatments are working.

Yeah, the Aveeno one isn't specifcally for your face, but I've never had any issues with using on my face (never caused me to breakout). In fact, I've had less issues with it than with some other moisturizers for the face. My favorite probably is still dan's moisturizer. If he'd ever so slightly thicken it up, it'd be perfect imo. Gets kind of runny sometimes.

Has anyone got acne on their back? I have really bad acne on my back

I had moderate acne on my back, particularly in the shoulder area, in the past. Over the years it's kind of subsided on its own, but what I found worked for me was simply a 10% BP wash. Specifically, I used the OXY Maximum Face Wash Acne Treatment, Maximum Strength ( http://www.drugstore.com/oxy-maximum-face-wash-acne-treatment-maximum-strength/qxp148000?catid=182285 ). In my opinion, 10% is too harsh for the face and uneeded. I found it worked great on my back though. I'd just keep it in the shower and everytime I'd shower I'd wash my back with it.

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 04/02/2013 7:55 am

So its been a good week or two now and I've been on the Lymecycline every day and been putting on the Quinoderm 5%, my skin is getting a bit better, it seems to get better for a few days then go back a little. I'm going to give it 2 months as that's when I run out of pills and see what happens. Not really sure what to do.

The first week my face went a big flaky with the quinoderm but now it seems to have adjusted to it and with moisturiser its OK with it. I just want my face to be clear! :-(

I may start posting photos for you guys to judge as I don't think I can tell as I look in the mirror every day