Notifications
Clear all

Cetaphil - Dissapointed

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/13/2013 3:58 am

I purchased both the Gentle Skin Cleanser and their Mousturising Lotion due to the hype I see on various acne related forums/sites and I must say I am highly dissapointed.

Even after only using the cleanser and rinsing thoroughly, I can feel a greasy film over my face that has literally taken me back to when I had ultra oily skin. I'm not happy with this product at all.

It's slimy, full of horrible chemicals (SLS, parabens) and I wished that I'd listened to my instincts instead of reviews online.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 03/13/2013 6:43 am

Yeah I agree. I really don't like the cetaphil products much now. They used to be ok when I used BP and my skin was very dry but when I stopped using BP the cetaphil moisturiser really just made my skin very greasy. I've had to go back to using the leftover cetaphil moisturiser (as I've run out of the moisturiser I now use) and I've been wondering if it's contributing to the breakouts I'm having lately - because it does make my skin so greasy. Very annoying. I also try to avoid SLS now too.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/13/2013 7:36 am

Worst thing is, I don't know what to do with it. I have 2 bottles of cleanser and the moisturising lotion (3 for 2 offer where I bought it). Everywhere I look there's a bottle of Cetaphil!

Well at least I know now. I'd have always been curious if I hadn't have bought it.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 03/13/2013 11:59 am

Years ago a friend recommended Cetaphil and I immediately disliked it after the first use. Then I realized the person recommending it never had a problem with acne. Maybe you could give it to someone who doesn't struggle with acne.

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 03/13/2013 3:20 pm

I totally agree. My dermatologist was actually the one who recommended Cetaphil.... I really dislike the cleanser, it makes my skin tight, dry and in turn, full of pimples. I much prefer CeraVe (recommended by my second, smarter dermatologist). I wish I found those products sooner!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/13/2013 4:52 pm

I'm going to keep it for emergency use, I tend to get really dry skin during the winter months so it may come in handy then. I wish I knew all this beforehand! I'll try tack down some CeraVe, not sure if it's available in the UK.

Glad I'm not the only one that hates this product (although the lotion works amazingly for my hands!), thanks for the replies! :)

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/17/2013 9:58 pm

Join the club ;) it was trash for me. Broke me out.

MemberMember
(@ricecrackah)

Posted : 03/20/2013 8:22 pm

wow after i read all the good reviews ive decided to try the cetaphil cleanser about two days ago.

although it has that greasy feel to it, and it doesnt give you the thoroughly cleansed feel on your face, i think its very gentle. dried up the pimple i had in two uses, and now its working on the redness.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 03/21/2013 1:48 am

Two days use is not ample time to give a review. It doesn't break everyone out, but you'll know in a couple weeks if you get a sudden onset of whiteheads.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 03/24/2013 1:15 am

That stuff is horrid, I would recommend CeraVe. Soo much nicer! And if you feel like doing a little research, you'll notice that there are a number of molecules that have scientific support for their claims of replenishing the skin barrier.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/24/2013 1:33 pm

I decided to carry on using Cetaphil, since I paid for it. It's not as awful as I thought it was initially, but it's not amazing like people make it out to be.

It was mainly the thick horrible lotion I didn't like.

MemberMember
(@bamajamma89)

Posted : 03/24/2013 9:59 pm

when it comes to over the counter meds from what I've seen they really help those who have very mild acne or hardly any at all. If you're like me some who had very severe cystic acne, then over the counter meds would just make you angry and really disappointed.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/25/2013 8:29 am

when it comes to over the counter meds from what I've seen they really help those who have very mild acne or hardly any at all. If you're like me some who had very severe cystic acne, then over the counter meds would just make you angry and really disappointed.

I have quite mild acne, but very sensitive skin, so I have to be really careful what I use. Most things dry my skin out life crazy and cause it to then get super oily during the day.

MemberMember
(@zultima)

Posted : 04/03/2013 11:24 pm

Cetaphil is not good for me either. Greasy, itchy, and makes my face red.

For those saying Cerave, which version of it should I be getting? There is the cream, the regular lotion, and then there are special AM and PM versions (which are super expensive). I am assuming this one, but I just want to be sure.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/04/2013 1:48 pm

I use the cream in the tub, never used the lotion so I can't give any opinion on that

MemberMember
(@beezie)

Posted : 04/05/2013 2:28 am

Spectro Gel is my favorite! However because I am using BP I need a gentle cleanser that will leave some "moisture" to my skin. For dry skin this is good, but yea for oily skin it will just add to the greasy feel I think.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 04/05/2013 12:31 pm

Hmmm...

Would everyone minds specifying WHICH cetaphil wash they used?

I tried the gentle cleansing kind in the pump, and liked it very much but I switched to the antibacterial bar and love it a whole lot more.

I don't want anyone to read this thread and think cetaphil is horrible for everyone, so just giving my 2 cents.

MemberMember
(@mikethegreat)

Posted : 04/05/2013 10:45 pm

Glad I'm not the only one. This was recommended by several doctors and derms but seemed to break me out more

MemberMember
(@californiaxnights)

Posted : 04/14/2013 6:47 pm

From personal experience, I've learned that really good products tend to break people out at first. In order to see if a product actually works on your skin, you need to use the product everyday for approximately three weeks to a month. Also, perhaps you're using too much of the lotion? You should only need a very small amount for your entire face and neck. Or use the Cetaphil moisturizer at night and use a lighter one during the day? Just make sure that your skin is damp before using a moisturizer; this helps a LOT. And drinks lots of water! Hope this helps!