Notifications
Clear all

Please Help Me Properly Treat My Acne-- Clogged Pores From Makeup

MemberMember
(@alisamisssays)

Posted : 03/12/2013 6:57 pm

My acne is not very noticeable indoors, but in sunlight everything is visible.My entire face is basically covered. I've had this type of acne for years now. At least 3 years. Some of my small pimples get big enough to squeeze and white stuff comes out, so I'm assuming that my acne is tons of whiteheads.

I went to the dermatologist and he gave me pills( deoxyclicline) and Bezaclin and that worked great for my large pimples. I asked him about this acne I have now and he said, "Ohh, those are just closed comedones..." and did nothing about it.
Honestly, I believe it comes from my makeup, and I have dark skin that takes forever for acne marks to heal. My skin tone has dark marks basically all over my cheeks---very very noticeable. I'd rather wear foundation/concealer to even out my skin tone.

Please recommend me makeup that will not give me these. Also something that can take these away.

I also cleanse with the body shop's tea tree system (cleanse, tone, moisturize)

I use BP that helps a lot reduce the size of my countless pimples, but really doesn't take them away. (maybe because I wear makeup everyday)

For the past two days, I've been massaging my face with olive oil, and it's made my skin softer, that's it.

I noticed that the ingredient in most blushes/powder Bismuth Oxycholoride gives me these same pimples.

So what is it in foundations that is causing my pimples?

I used revlon colorstay foundation, revlon naked foundation(was the worst)

Makeup forever HD foundation, loreal true match concealor and all of which gave me these pimples.

Recently bought Clinique even better foundation and concealor, but are too dewy for my oily mess.

Thank you for your input

post-204575-0-41914100-1363132445_thumb.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 03/13/2013 7:32 pm

You have make up in that picture don't you? & it is breaking you out. Don't wear foundation just wear minerals. I'm a guy and I wear bare minerals sometimes lol usually if I go out to somewhere very public.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 03/13/2013 9:46 pm

The ingredient in foundations that might be breaking you out is Dimethicone. Most foundations have it. Or you could be sensitive to silicone. I get those little bumps from mineral foundations too unfortunately, even ones that only contain 2-3 ingredients, so it might just be clogged pores from makeup rather than a reaction to a specific ingredient.

DonDonATL liked
MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 03/15/2013 9:28 pm

The trick to treating acne like this is to use sulfur acne topicals and an salycilic/mandelic acid toner or lotion.

I can recommend a drugstore sulfur topical that works great. It's De la Cruz 10% sulfur acne treatment. It can be found and target,Walmart and Walgreens that I know of. You can also buy it on the Internet. Sulfur kills bacteria and those little closed comedones are filled with it.

You also need to deep clean the pores with salicylic acid. This helps with the dead skin and oil clogged pores. It dissolves the oil and pushes the gunk and bacteria to the surface of the pore. Once all that's at the surface the sulfur will kill the bacteria and dry up the pimple.

I use a 3% salicylic lotion and a mandelic acid toner along with a 10% sulfur treatment to manage my closed comedones and acne.

You can continue to use your bp and add a salicylic treatment if you'd like to skip on the sulfur. I think the sulfur works better though because it also exfoliates the top layer of skin.

MemberMember
(@winmardin)

Posted : 04/01/2013 1:37 am

Hi! I don't wear make-up but my dematologist gave me a sunblock foundation, Heliocare SPF50 matt finish and doesn't breakout for me. I think before you buy any products on your face always look for non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic. You can use a foundation that has a matt finish if you have an oily skin. You can try also a product that has salicylic acid. It works for me because it eliminates some some of my whiteheads.

MemberMember
(@argentanya)

Posted : 04/01/2013 11:43 am

You may want to try Jason's Naturals Dandruff Shampoo - it has salicylic acid, sulphur, rosemary, olive and jojoba oils. I'm using it on my skin, and it's clearing me right up.

MemberMember
(@cmarie)

Posted : 08/09/2014 12:29 am

I know this is old but could you please reply and tell me how u got rid of these???? Plllleasssseee!

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/11/2014 3:52 am

What a.p. said above was a great answer. The other answers not so much (1. shampoo doesn't go on your face 2. matte foundations break you out more than light ones.)

"Just closed comodones" turn into just pimples if they aren't exfoliated and cleaned out.

Tea tree was probably not strong enough for the above poster.

Proactive Deep wash followed by Repairing Lotion, under a lightweight foundation, using the Sulfur Mask daily until clear then as a spot treatment, and a light glycolic peel 2x weekly would knock out those little buggers.

MemberMember
(@sm42)

Posted : 08/12/2014 2:51 pm

I have the same issue - closed comedones all over my face. I have tried retin A to no avail. I'm going to order witch hazel to use as a toner, and get bentonite clay and Apple cider vinegar to make a mask. I've heard these things have really helped comedonal acne. This is the last thing I think am going to try before returning to the dermatologist.

NadiaSA liked
MemberMember
(@veronikavanquish)

Posted : 02/25/2015 3:17 pm

My acne is not very noticeable indoors, but in sunlight everything is visible.My entire face is basically covered. I've had this type of acne for years now. At least 3 years. Some of my small pimples get big enough to squeeze and white stuff comes out, so I'm assuming that my acne is tons of whiteheads.

I went to the dermatologist and he gave me pills( deoxyclicline) and Bezaclin and that worked great for my large pimples. I asked him about this acne I have now and he said, "Ohh, those are just closed comedones..." and did nothing about it.

Honestly, I believe it comes from my makeup, and I have dark skin that takes forever for acne marks to heal. My skin tone has dark marks basically all over my cheeks---very very noticeable. I'd rather wear foundation/concealer to even out my skin tone.

Please recommend me makeup that will not give me these. Also something that can take these away.

I also cleanse with the body shop's tea tree system (cleanse, tone, moisturize)

I use BP that helps a lot reduce the size of my countless pimples, but really doesn't take them away. (maybe because I wear makeup everyday)

For the past two days, I've been massaging my face with olive oil, and it's made my skin softer, that's it.

I noticed that the ingredient in most blushes/powder Bismuth Oxycholoride gives me these same pimples.

So what is it in foundations that is causing my pimples?

I used revlon colorstay foundation, revlon naked foundation(was the worst)

Makeup forever HD foundation, loreal true match concealor and all of which gave me these pimples.

Recently bought Clinique even better foundation and concealor, but are too dewy for my oily mess.

Thank you for your input

I got the exact same reaction from revlon colorstay. Must have been the years of heavy makeup use, because I know I personally chose this one because it was the fullest (heaviest) coverage at the drugstore.

The trick to treating acne like this is to use sulfur acne topicals and an salycilic/mandelic acid toner or lotion.

I can recommend a drugstore sulfur topical that works great. It's De la Cruz 10% sulfur acne treatment. It can be found and target,Walmart and Walgreens that I know of. You can also buy it on the Internet. Sulfur kills bacteria and those little closed comedones are filled with it.

You also need to deep clean the pores with salicylic acid. This helps with the dead skin and oil clogged pores. It dissolves the oil and pushes the gunk and bacteria to the surface of the pore. Once all that's at the surface the sulfur will kill the bacteria and dry up the pimple.

I use a 3% salicylic lotion and a mandelic acid toner along with a 10% sulfur treatment to manage my closed comedones and acne.

You can continue to use your bp and add a salicylic treatment if you'd like to skip on the sulfur. I think the sulfur works better though because it also exfoliates the top layer of skin.

I'm so excited to have found this post! Is the mandolin acid toner drying? Because I have countless closed comedones and my skin is oily but dehydrated (dry patches), and I struggle with finding a moisturizer that properly hydrates due to my finicky condition and undying fear of clogging my pores even further.

MemberMember
(@manpreetkaur__)

Posted : 07/07/2017 10:32 pm

Do you still currently have this problem? I recommend annmarie gianni make up. It has 4 ingredients and comes in 8 different shades that you can blend if you need to to create a custom shade. It's a mineral make up but you can mix it with any oil if your choice to make it a liquid foundation for more coverage. Eyes have a sample kit for $20. Tracie from the love vitamin recommended it and I love it. Also, do not scrub. Be very gentle to your skin as if it were a baby's. Hope this helped!