Notifications
Clear all

Considering A Change

MemberMember
(@aprilh0603)

Posted : 03/11/2013 6:34 pm

Hey everyone. I've posted this in the adult acne forum, and haven't received a response as yet, and thought I might try here.

Hello everyone. I've stumbled across this site about a month and half ago and have been lurking around off and on since. I'm interested in trying the acne.org products, because I still get whiteheads, and blackheads, and the occasional full on zit (usually that's just due to hormones, but not always). My skin is nowhere near as bad as it was when I was a teenager, but I am tired of dealing with even the whiteheads and blackheads. But I'm on the fence about the products. I currently use olay products - primarily the regenerist line, and I love how it makes my skin feel and how well it's working on my fine lines. So I don't want to give up the products I love, and am wondering what the best way to combine the two product lines would be without completely overdoing my skin care routine. Here is what I do now:

Daily:

Wash with regnerist detoxifying pore scrub (morning and night) with clarisonic brush

Follow with regnerist thermal mini peel (night only) with clarisonic brush

Follow with olay total effect with definity eye treatment (morning and night)

Follow with olay total effects lotion (morning only)

Follow with olay regenerist night firming cream (night only)

Every Sunday evening I do a weekly facial

I was with my olay cleanser and clarisonic brush

I exfoliate with my pmd (personal microderm - LOVE IT)

I follow with either a mud mask or a sulfur mask depending on what I feel I need that week

And finish up with my night time moisturizer.

I'd love to hear some input on what you all think would be the best way to combine these two product lines. Any help is appreciated.

At this point, I'm considering using the acne.org products in the morning, and my olay products at night. I really am happy with my olay products in every way except the acne. Please let me know what you all think.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/13/2013 5:25 pm

You seem to use a lot of products in one day which may be resulting in the whiteheads. Exfoliating with a scrub daily is really harsh on your skin and is probably removing its natural oils which almost definitely causes your skin to produce more, resulting in whiteheads (I suffer from whiteheads too, hate them!)

I would recommend that you simplify your regimen and if that means cutting out all those products and using the DKR regimen, do it. Once your skin has adapted to the regimen products you could slowly implement some of your own and use them sparingly throughout the week. Just don't overload your face with different products.

Irritation = Acne

MemberMember
(@aprilh0603)

Posted : 03/13/2013 7:19 pm

You seem to use a lot of products in one day which may be resulting in the whiteheads. Exfoliating with a scrub daily is really harsh on your skin and is probably removing its natural oils which almost definitely causes your skin to produce more, resulting in whiteheads (I suffer from whiteheads too, hate them!)

I would recommend that you simplify your regimen and if that means cutting out all those products and using the DKR regimen, do it. Once your skin has adapted to the regimen products you could slowly implement some of your own and use them sparingly throughout the week. Just don't overload your face with different products.

Irritation = Acne

First of all, let me say thank you so much for replying. I was very anxious to hear some input, and I'm so glad someone answered me.

I totally get what you're saying about the various products, but at the same time, I really don't want to give up my olay and forfeit the progress that I've made with my fine lines. I know that using the mini peel every day seems extreme, but it really is a very fine exfoliant. I've seen nothing but improvement since I started using it so frequently, but I also use a thicker moisturizer at night, so maybe that counteracts any drying effects from the mini peel.

I think what I'm leaning toward now, is using the regimen in the am, and my olay products at night. I'll probably lay off the mini peel for a while after introducing the regimen products, at least until my skin adjusts, as I know the bp can be very drying as well. But I guess at the end of the day, I just have to try it and see how it goes. I'm planning on placing an order tomorrow for my regimen. I'm excited to try it, but worried too that I'll mess up what I've got going.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 03/14/2013 12:29 am

AprilH, I totally get you when you say you don't want to give up the products you currently use, even if you're not happy with having acne, but I'm afraid its one or the other.

Before I started using the regimen, I used to use Shseido and Chanel products. High cost, small amount of product but such pretty bottles! ;) I used to swear by them regardless of still having acne. When I read about the regimen and decided to give it a go, I made the decision that I was going to follow it exactly as instructed, because i knew if I messed around with it and incorporated steps and products not recommended, if it didn't work I would know i didn't give it the best chance.

So I placed all of my VERY expensive lotions and potions in the bottom drawer of my spare bathroom (out of sight out of mind) and committed 100% to the regimen. I have never looked back. I am now 100% clear and my skin has never looked better. And as for fine lines (Im 40) the AHA+ sorted that out. Its a chemical exfoliator which completely (and I mean completely) eliminated the fine lines around my eyes plus the frown line between my eyebrows. They were all there because of dehydration which all my expensive products obviously didn't combat. (just as an aside, after following the regimen for around 6 months, and after being totally clear for approx 3 months I decided to exfoliate using my Chanel product that i snuck out of the bottom drawer while Dan tinydan.gif wasn't looking, because I remembered how lovely my skin felt afterwards. And my skin DID feel lovely afterwards, so soft and smooth, but 3 days later I broke out with around 6 new zits. That was my punishment for adding irritation to my regimen).

So even though my response above is long, my recommendation is short. If you are going to follow the regimen, follow it properly. Don't add products, don't add steps. If you are going to follow the regimen only once per day and your own regimen once per day, your results will be limited. I can guarantee you that.

But good luck to you either way! :)

MemberMember
(@aprilh0603)

Posted : 03/14/2013 7:46 am

AyeAye - thank you so much for your added input. I guess I've been hopeful about using two different lines because I've seen others in the forums that do, and a number of you tube videos where people use other products alongside the regimen. I did order my kit this morning, and I guess I'm just going to take it a day at a time. If I'm not seeing what I was to see, I'll start eliminating things until I get there. I'm not going to lie, at this moment, I feel like if I can't successfully combine them, I'll stick with my olay products. But perhaps after trying the regimen, I'll feel differently. I did not go with the AHA set, because I used a line that had AHA some years ago, and it really irritated my skin (which is not to say that the AHA was to blame - I realize that it may very well have been another ingredient that I had problems with). I may decide to give the AHA another try down the road, but for now, I'm still a little gun shy on it.

Thank you both for your input, and I'm sure that I'll be back around to let you know how it's going.

MemberMember
(@aprilh0603)

Posted : 04/02/2013 6:51 am

So I'm back. This past Friday made one week that I've been using the Acne.org products alongside my Olay Regenerist. Thought I might drop by to give everyone an update. I got my kit just before I was set for my once monthly breakout, and I have to say, I've never had a month that went so well. I did see initial breakouts, but they faded much quicker than they normally do. I increased the amount of bp once I hit the one week mark (as instructed) and I've just started to experience the irritation. It itches like crazy. It seems to itch worse at night, but that may just be because I'm not as conscious as I am during the day and will scratch in my sleep and wake myself up. During the day if the itching gets unbearable, I just lightly rub or pat the area to give myself some relief. Yes, I know I should limit touching my face, but I wait until I absolutely cannot stand it before I give in. So far, I'm pleased with the combination, but I do look forward to the itching and redness to go away. And I can see why it's enough to make some people stop the regimen. But for now I'm toughing it out. I'll pop back by if there are any changes to keep everyone updated.

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 04/02/2013 11:35 am

Just found your post and wanted to chime in! For reference, I am a 32 year old female with persistent hormonal chin acne.

I'll spare you my history, but I started using Olay Regenerist products about 3 weeks ago, and I love them! However, I still incorporate benzoyl peroxide on my chin area because if I don't use it, I pay for it. I used to use so many products with BP and I think I was overdoing it, but I find if I still use a BP lotion (at night only), then it keeps my chin breakouts at bay. This is my current regimen:

Morning: Olay Regenerist Regenerating Cream Cleanser

Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum

Evening: Olay Regenerist Regenerating Cream Cleanser

Light layer of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide on chin

Olay Regenerist night cream (purple jar)

*a couple nights a week I switch out the cream cleanser with the Olay Regenerist Detoxifying Pore Scrub

The Olay products have been healing my skin, it's never looked or felt better. And the BP keeps my chin calm.

MemberMember
(@aprilh0603)

Posted : 04/02/2013 5:26 pm

I agree. I love the regenerist products. They are amazing. I do enjoy using the acne.org in the morning. As I said, I get the most "itchy" at night, and the gentleness of the cleanser and moisturizer in the morning seems to give me some relief. But I can't see myself giving up my regenerist any time soon. My hope is to get to the point that you have where I only need to use the bp and can use whatever other products I want around it. But I'm willing to take some time to work toward that. I just now I don't want to spend years fighting acne and wrinkles at the same time. LOL

MemberMember
(@aprilh0603)

Posted : 04/06/2013 8:44 am

And I'm back. After my second week on the regimen, I started playing with my nightly routine some. Normally, I just rush through my nightly routine. From 7 pm on is generally just one big dash toward bed time at our house. But I started using my trusty timer and waiting 15-20 minutes between each step. I also added Dan's moisturizer. So now I'm using my two Olay cleansers, the bp, then Dan's moisturizer. Then, much later - right before bed, I use my Olay moisturizer. This has drastically cut down on the itchiness I was dealing with at night. I love the results I'm seeing so far. I have had a few spots pop up here and there, but they're very small, and usually gone within a day. I even used the bp to spot treat one that randomly popped up on my neck. I don't know all the different acne terms that you all do, but it was one of those that is large and very deep and tender to the touch. I put a little bp on it that morning, and by the next morning it was completely gone. Love it.

MemberMember
(@aprilh0603)

Posted : 04/17/2013 6:23 am

And I'm back. This Friday will mark my 1 month using acne.org alongside Olay. Have to say I'm very happy. The only place that I still have any itching is right in front of my ears (if that makes sense). It's like I itch right where the bp stops when it's applied. I don't know what that spot is being so stubborn but it itches like crazy. I'm sure that will go away soon though. No more breakouts.Just a few red spots along my chin where I had some acne spring up right after starting the regimen in the mornings. So far I'm very pleased with how things look and feel.