Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane

MemberMember
(@katiesko)

Posted : 03/11/2013 3:26 pm

Hey Everyone! I'm 14 and I have moderate acne that's getting worse day by day. My derm prescribed me Accutane and I'll be starting it next week. I need to get blood work done (something I've never had done before). It seems like a pain to get a blood test each month but it's not my choice. Anyways, I need help. I'm curious to know how fast it works. See, I always wear makeup to cover up the pimples, which I've mastered, and I was wondering if you could still, like, wear makeup or not. I don't know too much about accutane besides all the birth defects and stuff like that.

*I need tips on how to manage accutane and info about anyone elses' experience. PLEASE HELP.*

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/11/2013 3:58 pm

Accutane at fourteen for moderate acne? that's just weird. What's your dermatologists reason for doing this? Accutane is for aggressive acne that doesn't respond to anything else. You'd think your type of "moderate acne" would respond to most treatments and perhaps even the "the regimen". You should ask for a second opinion from another dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@katiesko)

Posted : 03/16/2013 11:28 pm

well, she said since the two other oral medications I tried weren't responding, accutane would be the most effective option. Yes, I know it's really strong and I'm starting really young but my derm said there were two other 14 year olds in her office starting accutane too. She gave me other options but accutane seems really effective and I don't want to wait and try more oral meds. It's the cure for acne and I'd rather have that than constantly struggling with it everyday.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 03/17/2013 7:19 am

Are you in the USA?

I get that the most effective option appears to be Accutane, but it is also a very harsh drug that can be very difficult to take. I think it's really important to find the Accutane logs page (that still exists right?! I've not been on since the new look) and read through peoples experience. I'm not sure I'd have chosen to go on a drug with all the side effects accutane has if I could just use a cream, you know. The reason the user above will have mentioned your age is because it specifically states in the accutane info you should have been given that it is not to be used until after puberty, as it can effect growth etc. I would make sure you have read all that info to get a feel for the drug.

The logs should also help you with products etc to use.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 03/17/2013 10:46 am

The other posters make good points about Accutane being a drug of last resort. With that said, I think everyone has a different experience and it would be helpful for you to read the logs:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/forum/36-accutane-logs/

It seems that some people clear up almost immediately and some people have break outs nearly their entire course. I've read about people who didn't clear up until after they were finished with their treatment. So, it really is different for everyone. Hopefully you will have an easy course with minimal side effects. As for me, I am almost at the end of my first month but have been able to wear makeup everyday. Some days it looks better than others though because some days my skin looks red, dry, etc. It will be really important that you moisturize your skin really well and drink plenty of water. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@dumdedum)

Posted : 03/17/2013 3:41 pm

Make up is fine it will not give you any more acne than you already have my derm told me it doesn't interfere

My face never really dired out much if it does I recommend L'Occitane face cream its expensive but it lasts and is good same with dry skin on the body their creams are amazing try their other creams

If they're out of your price range I'd try using something containing a butter e.g shea butter with a % of at least 10

As for lips use some Vaseline and Blistex (not sure if you have that in America if you are in America)

any aches and pains take some aspirin or ibuprofen!

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 03/18/2013 9:08 pm

Hey there

Before I answer this, take a look at my Accutane journey, since it'll give you a feel for the medication (NOTE: Reacts different with everyone. My breakout isn't going to be like yours. It could either be less, more, or none at all depending on your body).

Alright, so you're saying that you got prescribed to take Accutane with moderate acne? That's strange. Before my dermatologist suggested Accutane, the previous medications I had used orally at least was Doxycycline 100mg twice a day. And in terms of topicals I used Benzoyl Peroxide 10% and Tretinoin cream 0.1%. Honestly, unless the acne is extremely bad, you shouldn't really take Accutane. Accutane is normally a 'last resort' medication when everything else (and I mean EVERYTHING) hasn't worked. Then again, Accutane (isotretinoin) used to be a drug made to fight cancer before converting completely into a severe acne fighting drug (shows you how strong this drug is).

If your acne is hormonal (which I taking a large guess that it is) talk to your dermatologist about Spironolactone. I've seen a lot of girl acne.org members who take that and clear up completely. You should reconsider talking with your dermatologist. Acne is a hard, hard trail not only physically, but mostly psychologically.

Good luck in everything wink.png

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/19/2013 1:55 am

Hi there,

I'm 21 and at the end of my first month on Accutane (Claravis 40mg daily). I'm a psychology student and I am currently creating an empirically based literature review on Accutane (isotretinoin). Throughout my research I have come across at least two studies which indicate that taking accutane before the age of 16 makes for a MUCH higher rate of recurring acne. Basically this means that you would be much better of waiting for at least a year or two to take accutane, otherwise there is a good chance that it will be in vein and your acne may just come back. There are other concerns with taking acne at such a young age. One of those concerns is the stunted growth, and the chance of outgrowing the acne. I did not outgrow my acne (I've been suffering for 7 years & am currently 21), but I certainly paid my due diligence and time to see that it was not just puberty acne.

One piece of advice I will give is that you should definitely get on accutane (if your acne persists) by age 16-17, so that your parents insurance will pay for it. I am getting married this summer and we are on our own, and despite still being on my dad's insurance, any out-of-pocket costs I am having to eat. There are so many issues that I did not get taken care of as as a minor (such as the need for braces, acne, other dental issues, tonsil removal) that I wish I would have so that my dad would have paid. Now that I'm an adult, I can't just hand him the bill the way I could have when I was younger. Take care of yourself while your are able; money gets really scarce in college!

MemberMember
(@katiesko)

Posted : 03/22/2013 7:54 pm

I know I'm young for Accutane, but I've tried two other oral medications that haven't worked at all. I've tried too many creams and my derm said that Accutane is the most effective option. Anyone with persist acne like mine (not just a pimple or two) would be willing to get rid o their acne asap. I understand all the negative effects it has on me, and it is basically my choice but my derm has 2 other 14 year old girls on Accutane. I read the book on how it effects your body and your body during pregnancy. I just want to hear other peoples' experiences. I'm curious as to how long it takes depending on the type of acne and the severity of it. My acne isn't severe but it's slowly getting there.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 03/22/2013 8:23 pm

I think it varies for everyone.

My experience: I have moderate facial acne, severe body acne. Was on birth control pills until no longer effective, had reaction to tetracycline. First two weeks on Accutane, face cleared and looked great. Third week, significant drying but face still looked good although makeup started looking a little pasty. This week I've started breaking out but my face looks different everyday. Some days my face is more red/splotchy, some days I'm more dry/peeling, some days it looks like it's healing. It can even look different at different times of the day. I'm hoping this part passes soon and I go back to being nearly clear =) I have seen a slight improvement in the body acne.

Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@katiesko)

Posted : 03/23/2013 7:04 am

I think it varies for everyone.

My experience: I have moderate facial acne, severe body acne. Was on birth control pills until no longer effective, had reaction to tetracycline. First two weeks on Accutane, face cleared and looked great. Third week, significant drying but face still looked good although makeup started looking a little pasty. This week I've started breaking out but my face looks different everyday. Some days my face is more red/splotchy, some days I'm more dry/peeling, some days it looks like it's healing. It can even look different at different times of the day. I'm hoping this part passes soon and I go back to being nearly clear =) I have seen a slight improvement in the body acne.

Good luck to you!

Thank you! And I hope everything gets better for you too! Acne isn't an easy thing and I hope you get clear quick! My goal is to be 100% clear by summer. =)

MemberMember
(@ben-lee)

Posted : 03/23/2013 7:09 am

I've been on accutane twice, and it never did anything for me. Diet worked for me.

At 14 years old,... you are so young! If I were you, I would not go on accutane. And if you do decide to do it, make sure it is a low dose. If they suggest 60mg or 80 mg or something, get out of there.

Again, sometimes the more you do...... the worse it can get.

And...accutane side affects are usually irreversible... People have even reported hair loss. And when you try to go the derm to ask for help with hair loss, they say it is normal ....or that accutane doesn't cause hair loss..... but these people years later are still dealing with it.

Please think about it some more. Accutane can be a miracle drug for people, but it is also a very dangerous and serious drug.

It does not seem like you have tried much for acne... For example, instead of taking antibiotics, take probiotics.

Derms never did jack for me.

Either way, I hope everything works out for you.

MemberMember
(@katiesko)

Posted : 03/23/2013 10:33 pm

I've been on accutane twice, and it never did anything for me. Diet worked for me.

At 14 years old,... you are so young! If I were you, I would not go on accutane. And if you do decide to do it, make sure it is a low dose. If they suggest 60mg or 80 mg or something, get out of there.

Again, sometimes the more you do...... the worse it can get.

And...accutane side affects are usually irreversible... People have even reported hair loss. And when you try to go the derm to ask for help with hair loss, they say it is normal ....or that accutane doesn't cause hair loss..... but these people years later are still dealing with it.

Please think about it some more. Accutane can be a miracle drug for people, but it is also a very dangerous and serious drug.

It does not seem like you have tried much for acne... For example, instead of taking antibiotics, take probiotics.

Derms never did jack for me.

Either way, I hope everything works out for you.

well, I'm only @ 20mg. and trust me, I know that the side effects could be irreversible. I don't think I'm estimated to be on it for a long time. My derm said I'd only need 3-4 months, and yes, I understand about the age thing. Thanks for the info though.

Are you in the USA?

I get that the most effective option appears to be Accutane, but it is also a very harsh drug that can be very difficult to take. I think it's really important to find the Accutane logs page (that still exists right?! I've not been on since the new look) and read through peoples experience. I'm not sure I'd have chosen to go on a drug with all the side effects accutane has if I could just use a cream, you know. The reason the user above will have mentioned your age is because it specifically states in the accutane info you should have been given that it is not to be used until after puberty, as it can effect growth etc. I would make sure you have read all that info to get a feel for the drug.

The logs should also help you with products etc to use.

your signature-thing is perfect. People are judging my use of accutane based on my age, whereas it's my choice and my derm said it was the most effective and guarenteed option. hifive.gif

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 03/23/2013 11:37 pm

Young or old is your decision and good luck to you.

:)

MemberMember
(@katiesko)

Posted : 03/24/2013 8:52 am

Young or old is your decision and good luck to you.

smile.png

Thanks! Someone finally understands!! smile.png

MemberMember
(@kirstyaust94)

Posted : 03/25/2013 6:59 am

Hi Katie! rolleyes.gif

I'm 18 & just recently started on Accutane - 20mg a day, also. Like afore mentioned, Accutane is *harsh*, but I would put faith in that your dermatologist knows what she / he is doing. I would encourage you to try and stay at a low dose for as long as possible & be very aware of side effects you may be experiencing. It's week 3 for me and my skin is not overly dry, but I do get dry LIPS. It's absolutely essential to use a lip balm before you go to sleep and a chapstick with spf during the day. I normally put a layer of chapstick and sometimes a lipstain - I like the Revlon Just Kissable balms. You may find lipstick to be too flaky and lipglosses to be irritating. See what works.

As far as actual foundation, I haven't come across many problems. My skin has not dried out so much that I can't wear makeup. I make sure to wear a SPF sunscreen and moisturizer DAILY, though. I'm fair skinned and burn easily, but Accutane makes you even more sun sensitive. I've found that mineral makeup isn't as great as it sounds for dry skin. It will sort of settle into dry patches and look freaky after a few hours. Instead, apply a minimal amount of liquid foundation and set (if required) with translucent powder. I normally just set under my eyes.

If you're lounging around at home, don't apply makeup. Remove it once you come in the door and never, ever, ever go to sleep wearing it. Make a habit of removing it and giving your skin as much time as possible to breathe. Make sure, if you use make up brushes that you are cleaning them regularly, and if you are using sponges to replace them often. Perhaps using just your hands is most sanitary as you can ensure they are clean before you touch your face.

I hope some of this babble was helpful! rolleyes.gif All the best on Accutane, we're in this together hifive.gif

MemberMember
(@ls206816)

Posted : 03/25/2013 1:06 pm

I'm 15 and have had acne since the 5th grade. I also have extremely persistent acne but its also moderate. I've been on every type of topical and antibiotic out there with no results. I literally almost cried when I was put on Accutane because I was so happy lol. Right now I'm on my 3rd month and my acne is still here and terrible but I get that it takes time and I'm willing to be patient.

So tips I have for you are

-Drink lots of water

-Wash your face with Cetaphil (Nothing else because it will dry out your face even if they say moisturizing)

-Get a tub of Cetaphil moisturizing Creme

-During the day time use Blistex medicated Chapstick and at night use Aquaphor healing ointment ( the regular kind that's meant for your body not the one for your lips. The one made for your body just works better for some reason lol)

-For makeup I like Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation for dry skin (don't use powders or anything else on your face just moisturize your face then put on liquid foundation because during the day your foundation will get flakey because of dry skin! It's so gross!) I also use CeraVe lotion as my moisturizer before makeup because the Cetaphil Creme is too heavy.

-If you use blush use liquid or Creme because if you use powder it get caked.

-Don't forget to moisturize your eyes too! I jut put aquaphor on mine!

-Wash your hair with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner

-Don't pick your skin it makes it a much worse and you'll have scabs then you will get scars!

I think that's it for tips but my face started getting super dry on the 3rd day and the acne will get worse at first but then it will start getting better! I was really scared to go on it because if some of the horrible side effects but its really not that bad! And I know a lot if people don't understand why we're taking Accutane so young and all that but for me it's made a huge difference and I'm so glad I went on it and I can't wait to have clear skin! Also I know I mentioned a lot of products but you can find them all at the drugstore and of course you don't HAVE to buy these but these are just the products that work well for me and I had to try alot of them to find ones that work well for me and don't dry out my skin! Also make sure you carry some sort of Chapstick everywhere with you! It will be a horrible day if you forget it! Good luck! You can ask me questions anytime if you have them!

And sometimes I seriously can't stab people on here telling you what to do for your face! But I try to be nice! Just do what you think is best! An I would much rather get rid of my acne now and have it come back later in life and just go back on it again later and get clear skin again! I hate acne. Sorry for my rant there.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 03/25/2013 1:42 pm

I'm also 14 and I'm in the early stages of being put on Accutane.

First off, I don't think that anyone is judging you on your decision. People really just want to help you make the right decision as this could have a massive impact on your life in the long term and they don't want you to regret making this decision.

Just stop and think. I don't think it's good that you've made the decision to go on Accutane even though you "don't know too much about accutane".

I know you probably won't listen, but I think it's really important that you truly know as much as you can about this drug. There are hundreds of pages on this site with people talking about their experiences and how they managed life on Accutane so I suggest you read them. I have learnt so much about this drug from this website, so much more than from the booklet my Derm. gave me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against your decision to take Accutane at such a young age because I am doing the same, I just want you to really know what you are getting yourself into so you don't find out before it's too late :)

MemberMember
(@katiesko)

Posted : 03/25/2013 7:28 pm

I'm also 14 and I'm in the early stages of being put on Accutane.

First off, I don't think that anyone is judging you on your decision. People really just want to help you make the right decision as this could have a massive impact on your life in the long term and they don't want you to regret making this decision.

Just stop and think. I don't think it's good that you've made the decision to go on Accutane even though you "don't know too much about accutane".

I know you probably won't listen, but I think it's really important that you truly know as much as you can about this drug. There are hundreds of pages on this site with people talking about their experiences and how they managed life on Accutane so I suggest you read them. I have learnt so much about this drug from this website, so much more than from the booklet my Derm. gave me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against your decision to take Accutane at such a young age because I am doing the same, I just want you to really know what you are getting yourself into so you don't find out before it's too late smile.png

I've actually learned a lot from this website and I know, I got a little flustered when people were questioning my age and why I was choosing Accutane, but I've had my friend do go through Accutane last year and her skin is beautiful. I like what you're trying to suggest to me, but I've already started Accutane 3 days ago and I'll see where it takes me. I mean, now I've gotten a lot more info on the drug rather than what was in that booklet my derm gave me. But thanks for your opinions. It makes me think about my decision of actually going through with Accutane... I just want to see where it takes me. If any of the side effects become a major problem, I'll most likely stop using Accutane. Thanks for your info! :)

Hi Katie! rolleyes.gif

I'm 18 & just recently started on Accutane - 20mg a day, also. Like afore mentioned, Accutane is *harsh*, but I would put faith in that your dermatologist knows what she / he is doing. I would encourage you to try and stay at a low dose for as long as possible & be very aware of side effects you may be experiencing. It's week 3 for me and my skin is not overly dry, but I do get dry LIPS. It's absolutely essential to use a lip balm before you go to sleep and a chapstick with spf during the day. I normally put a layer of chapstick and sometimes a lipstain - I like the Revlon Just Kissable balms. You may find lipstick to be too flaky and lipglosses to be irritating. See what works.

As far as actual foundation, I haven't come across many problems. My skin has not dried out so much that I can't wear makeup. I make sure to wear a SPF sunscreen and moisturizer DAILY, though. I'm fair skinned and burn easily, but Accutane makes you even more sun sensitive. I've found that mineral makeup isn't as great as it sounds for dry skin. It will sort of settle into dry patches and look freaky after a few hours. Instead, apply a minimal amount of liquid foundation and set (if required) with translucent powder. I normally just set under my eyes.

If you're lounging around at home, don't apply makeup. Remove it once you come in the door and never, ever, ever go to sleep wearing it. Make a habit of removing it and giving your skin as much time as possible to breathe. Make sure, if you use make up brushes that you are cleaning them regularly, and if you are using sponges to replace them often. Perhaps using just your hands is most sanitary as you can ensure they are clean before you touch your face.

I hope some of this babble was helpful! rolleyes.gif All the best on Accutane, we're in this together hifive.gif

Thanks for the info!! It was actually really helpful :D