Notifications
Clear all

Need Your Thoughts On This Multivitamin (Earth Source)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 03/10/2013 11:16 pm

I am currently taking saw palmetto daily for my PCOS, and would like to add a multivitamin into my daily regiment. Does saw palmetto have any known interactions with other supplements?

I am thinking of incorporating Solgar's Earth Source vitamins http://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Earth-Source-Multi-Nutrient-Tablets.htm

I used to take 3 of these daily after coming off a course of vitex & evening primrose. I was taking earth sourse vitamins with acai berry supplements, and they helped clear my skin for a while. However, after taking them for over a year, they stopped working (or my body didn't need the nutrients anymore).

What do you think of all the nutrients these vitamins contain (click on View Supplement Facts to see all the ingredients)? I figured I might as well get all my vitamins in one supplement (Esp. zinc, vitamin D & C) to cut down costs. Should I start taking them again, or just do separate supplements for my acne?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 03/12/2013 11:50 am

anyone???

MemberMember
(@miaasa)

Posted : 06/03/2013 4:04 pm

I love Solgar Earthsource - I can honestly say they do wonders for my overall health including skin - too powerful to take the full dose year round for me though - I hate taking pills and they are huge, but they WORK! I do a month or two then spread them out i.e. one or two per day or one day on one day off. You are right - it's easier to just take these rather a whole heap of multiple pills, I'm not a pill popper so was glad when I found these,

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/03/2013 5:37 pm

These truly helped me a lot, but because I took them for a long time without a long break in between, I wasn't seeing any benefits anymore. When I finish my current regimen, earth source will def become my go-to multivitamin again.

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 06/07/2013 6:18 pm

I know you are a female, but based on comparing different multiples - I recommend solgar male multiple it is high on vit a, zinc, magnesium, copper, selenium and all the b vitamins considered beneficial in preventing acne.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/07/2013 7:16 pm

I know you are a female, but based on comparing different multiples - I recommend solgar male multiple it is high on vit a, zinc, magnesium, copper, selenium and all the b vitamins considered beneficial in preventing acne.

Have you had success with it? I tried the female multiple but something in it (possibly the herbal blend) didn't sit well with me.

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 06/07/2013 9:21 pm

if you feel the herbal blend does not fit your body chemistry then I guess you better avoid it. I actually cleared my acne with solgar chelated zinc, chromium GTF, solgar cinnamon caps. Basically, I controlled my body insulin sensitivity. (I mostly use solgar since I trust the brand name but any substitute is good as long as your read the label.)

My diet is still not optimal - eating fast food, soda, sweet, processed meat but I have been clear of acne for a month now :)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:15 pm

Congrats! I cleared my acne with just this earth source multi and acai berry a few years ago, and stayed clear for a year or two afterwards. But now I haven't found the right combo yet, still experimenting. I read in your other post that you are also taking selenium? Which of these supplements do you think helped you the most?

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 06/09/2013 12:06 am

My acne is mostly found on along the jawline and I read somewhere it is mostly a hormonal issue. I think what really made the significant change was controlling insulin spikes - that is where chromium GTF, pantothenic, cinnamon, and zinc plays a role. I am not taking any mega dose vitamins and it worked wonders.

Also, I have taken earth source for two months but switched to male multiple because of the high iron being supplemented by earth source.

Regarding selenium, you may have read, brazil nuts is a good option however, be careful since nuts is one of factors in triggering acne.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/09/2013 11:26 am

How long did it take to start noticing results? I remember when I was taking earth source it initially took a few months to see a difference, but I didn't want to megadose so I was patient. I agree about the high iron, that's the only downside of the earth source vitamins, and also a high % of B12 which can break people out (although it's more balanced with other vitamins and minerals than simple B complexes, so it didn't break me out).

The only reason I was worried about taking selenium was that I read a study where high doses of selenium caused cancer in rats...but I wasn't planning on megadosing, I just wanted to get the daily recommended amount.

To control my insulin, I started taking enzymes in a supplement called Allerase. It's for seasonal allergies, histamine reactions, and sugar cravings. I'm mostly taking it for allergies but the added benefits are good too.

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 06/10/2013 3:58 am

the results were dramatic when I started taking zinc (less than a week), my skin improved especially the healing of old acne. Taking chromium and cinnamon took about a month before results were noticeable. I am 90 to 95% acne free, I think I can achieve 100% clear skin if I correct this with proper eating habits tongue.png

Now, I can trying to find a solution for my acne scars but I am already thankful on my current state.

Side-effect of taking chromium GTF is weightloss for me -- which is good!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/14/2013 5:47 pm

the results were dramatic when I started taking zinc (less than a week), my skin improved especially the healing of old acne. Taking chromium and cinnamon took about a month before results were noticeable. I am 90 to 95% acne free, I think I can achieve 100% clear skin if I correct this with proper eating habits tongue.png

Now, I can trying to find a solution for my acne scars but I am already thankful on my current state.

I didn't have any dramatic results with zinc...I take chelated zinc piccolinate. What kind & amount do you take?

Also, are you taking the chromium separately, or in your multivitamin? My acupuncturist recommended it to me recently.

For weight loss, acai berry supplements can help. They helped me lose weight and I didn't even need to lose it!

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/18/2013 7:01 pm

For zinc, aim for OptiZinc or zinc gluconate.

The ingredients for that multi look pretty good, but to cut costs you could look into Source Naturals Green Multiple or Source Naturals Life Force Multiple, both of which use good bioavailable forms of ingredients.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/19/2013 10:40 am

Have you had success with it? I tried the female multiple but something in it (possibly the herbal blend) didn't sit well with me.

Also, formulas for seniors are often high in things beneficial for acne and blood sugar.

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 06/20/2013 7:10 pm

I didn't have any dramatic results with zinc...I take chelated zinc piccolinate. What kind & amount do you take?

Also, are you taking the chromium separately, or in your multivitamin? My acupuncturist recommended it to me recently.

For weight loss, acai berry supplements can help. They helped me lose weight and I didn't even need to lose it!

I Am taking chromium polynicotinate GTF 200 mcg and zinc glycinate 22mg