Notifications
Clear all

My Subcision

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/10/2013 11:07 pm

I have some rolling scars on my cheeks and underwent subcision two days ago by a local Dermatologist-He believes I may see a 50% improvement.

The staff were very caring. They started the procedure by placing a numbing cream on my cheeks and letting that set for approximately 10 minutes. The Dr then injected my cheeks with approximately six injections on each side to numb my cheeks further. He said these would feel like "mosquito bites". It amazes me how I did not feel any discomfort! A few of the injections did have a little "bite" but I certainly have felt more pain at my own hands (I have tried dermastamping a few times)!

I have read other accounts and I believe the numbing cream is a crucial step that other Dr's must be leaving out......

The procedure of the subcision probably lasted 25 to 30 minutes. I felt absolutely no pain. Just lots of pressure from the Dr and his nurses' hands-he kept apologizing for the pressure but explained that this will help alleviate some of the bleeding and bruising. I heard the distinctive sound that many describe-an audible slicing or popping sound. I could definitely hear the sound of something being released.

The staff then placed cool compresses and pressure on my cheeks for approx 10 minutes. They then placed some pressure bandages on my cheeks, gave me some printed after care instructions, and sent me on my way

I'm going to remove the bandages tomorrow and begin suctioning.

I'll keep you updated....wish me luck xxx

Here is a BEFORE to give an idea of my skin

post-36618-0-08312000-1362975923_thumb.j

An AFTER of my chipmunk bandaged cheeks smile.png

post-36618-0-46400100-1362975942.jpg

post-36618-0-08312000-1362975923_thumb.j

post-36618-0-46400100-1362975942.jpg

MemberMember
(@coppedsynergy999)

Posted : 03/10/2013 11:37 pm

You are supposed to start suctioning on day 3. At least give those scabs some healing time. The vacuum might knock them off. The study started the suctioning on day 3

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/10/2013 11:47 pm

Tomorrow I will just remove the bandages. I was instructed to use nothing more than water to clean my cheeks and to keep the incisions "wet" with Aquaphor and cover with bandaids.

I'll take your advice and suction the day after tomorrow. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@coppedsynergy999)

Posted : 03/11/2013 12:12 am

Your welcome. Get enough quality food in and sleep. I think you will do great. Please keep me updated as I am doing subcision soon also. Im particulary interested in the incision wounds and theyre severity. Im also interested in your overall perception of how traumatizing subcision actually is mentally and physically. Furthermore, if you could list the number of scars and incision points that would help me and others quite a bit. Thanks for posting on here, I really appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/11/2013 1:14 pm

Today is day three. I removed my bandages and sprayed my face with water and gently patted dry with a clean washcloth.

It seems my Dr made approximately 8 incisions on each cheek. I can't say for sure since I am happy to say that I did not feel anything during the ordeal. My Dr said the incisions would be small and likened them to what it looks like when you have had blood drawn-I'd say that he was spot on with that description. I think they will heal nicely. He stressed several times that I will experience bruising.

I feel fantastic! Still no pain-I do have some Tylenol with Codeine that the Dr prescribed but I have not had to use it. It is comforting knowing that I am off work for another 10 days, though.

I have done many things to my skin over the years in hopes of improving scars:

In 1997 I had CO2 laser resurfacing-which was a VERY traumatic experience. I shudder to think how I managed to go through with all that was involved with that procedure. This yielded really great results but a few rolling scars remained and as I got older they seem to have become more prominent.

In 2011 I discovered derma rolling. I derma stamped my skin approx three times and added suction but it did not give any results for me.

All in all, I have really "traumatized" my skin in hopes of improving acne scars that this whole process has been a cake walk. Just my opinion, of course! I have a few little white heads springing up but I'm not concerned with those smile.png

post-36618-0-05774400-1363024868_thumb.j

After taking the photo I placed Aquaphor all over the incisions and placed large BandAids on top. This is day three but I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow before I suction. I should add that my Dr is familiar with the study but does not feel it will help. I pressed him to ask when I could begin anyway and he said to wait until day five. It makes me uncomfortable to begin any sooner of course, so I'd love some input from others......

xx

post-36618-0-05774400-1363024868_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 03/11/2013 1:42 pm

Good stuff.Yellow bruising is what i get from my own subcision..

Its good to have the blood there under the scars.

MemberMember
(@rob_x_22)

Posted : 03/11/2013 2:30 pm

all of my good results from my subcision went away with the redness the swelling went down and it looks the same ...but i'll try it again ...i just hate doing the subcision type bc the redness is so bad for days ...the dermaroller redness generally just last for a day

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 03/11/2013 3:00 pm

Just wondering - is there any reason you decided to do subcision vs fractional co2 if the old co2 laser helped your scars?

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/11/2013 3:22 pm

I had a full face CO2 laser in 1997 and though I believe the technology is far more advanced now, it still left me with a few rolling scars. And quite honestly emotional scars, too. My Dr at the time told me to rub my face with a washcloth daily....there was a white film that would develop on my raw face and I was instructed to diligently keep this off. I do not recall having pain medication! I remember crying from the pain of this routine and crying from the associated "why did I do this to myself'" questions. My skin was raw and it was atrocious. Granted, things worked out but it was a hellish time for me.

I feel my skin has been through a lot and though I feel she has put ME through a lot.....I think we are about even.

Almost. I have been fascinated with the subcision suction study since reading about it since last year-it seemed like a logical step for me. When I went to my (new) Dermatologist and showed him my concerns he felt I was a very good candidate. I've been studying this site for a very long time and Mr Matt and others have inspired me to try this. I'm really intrigued by the Cora Therapy that Jace Cali writes about-I wish we had access to that procedure here.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/11/2013 3:49 pm

thanks for making this thread and keeping us updated! i think you looked good in your before picture so you are going to look amazing once you are all healed up. i wish you a speedy recovery!

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 03/12/2013 1:29 pm

Hey! My turn to follow you :) Thanks for making this topic and I know u will be happy with your results! "Keep the Faith" and know im thinking of you!! I also agree, that your skin looks great in the before photos - i hope you are truly happy after this heals, and can be at peace with your skin afterward!!!

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/12/2013 1:39 pm

Greetings, this is what I look like today:

post-36618-0-09289100-1363112884_thumb.j

I know....Yikes!

I suctioned one time last night. I'm using a kit I purchased off ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Cups-Medical-Chinese-Vacuum-Body-Cupping-Massage-Therapy-Healthy-Suction-Set-/400433358870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3bb02816

Though I only suctioned one time, I was very thorough and held the suction for approx 3 seconds.

My skin was tingling and kind of had a throbbing effect when I went to bed and it was keeping me awake. So I finally succumbed to the pain medication my Dr gave me. I had a great night's sleep and feeling great.

post-36618-0-09289100-1363112884_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/13/2013 1:05 pm

its looking better! cant wait to see the pics of you all healed up. its going to look fantastic!

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 03/13/2013 4:01 pm

The yellow bruising will last at least 1 week( at least in my case).

MemberMember
(@rob_x_22)

Posted : 03/13/2013 4:59 pm

looking good i hope your swelling stays

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/19/2013 9:35 pm

Hope this update finds everyone well smile.png This is from a couple of days ago-8 days after my subcision.

post-36618-0-30593300-1363745512_thumb.j

I apologize for the different lighting. The ring flash burned out and a different lighting set up was used.

The swelling is gone and the incision points are healing very well. The larger purplish or darkest areas that you see are still tender, it feels like under the surface are the nodules that I have read other posters write about. On my upper right cheek there is red mark that was the result of an over aggressive suction session.

My spirits are good and I still have no regrets.

xx

post-36618-0-30593300-1363745512_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/22/2013 2:34 pm

it looks like you are healing well! thanks for keeping us updated. i love your positive attitude!

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 04/01/2013 2:17 pm

How are you doing this week?! :) Thinking of you!

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 04/08/2013 3:31 pm

Hi All smile.png sorry I have not updated you until now. It has been four weeks and four days since my subcision.

I saw my Dermatologist today, Dr. Adam Mamelak in Austin, TX for a second follow up. All of my yellow bruising is gone-it subsided on day 10. What I have left now are bumps/lumps underneath the surface of the skin-four on my left cheek and one on my right cheek. They appeared on day 17, the same day I had my first follow up. My Dr said they were normal but did not go into detail. It seemed that they grew larger with each week. The prominent ones are on my left cheek (this is the side where I heard the most snapping or breaking during the procedure). The one on my right is located in the hollow area and can only be noticed by touch, the others on my left are pretty disgusting. These bumps have taken a little hit on my spirits but now that I know they are normal I feel SO much better.

I was very concerned because I have now started to get these twinges underneath the bumps that remind me of the cystic breakouts that brought these ugly scars. My Dr gave me a prescription for a topical called Acanya and put me on some Doxycycline Monohydrate capsules. He said not to worry about the lumps causing an abscess or forming a scar but he put me on these meds just to be safe. He also said I can expect to see some more improvement.

I have a few lingering dark purple marks but I am very happy to say that on my right cheek my two scars of concern ARE starting to fill in a little bit. I can not really tell about my left cheek because of the lumps.

I'm sorry to not have a picture with this update but I wanted to let you all know how things are going for me. Thank you for your well wishes, they do help.....I will add a pic by the end of the week.

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 04/08/2013 10:51 pm

whats the point of the meds your derm put you?

When you see a patch of bruise hard like skin,it means that its there to protect the underneath regenerating skin.

Its a good sign ,mr matt also said the best results came on the areas he had the most subdermal bruising.

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 04/09/2013 7:58 am

My Dr said he wanted to make sure I was not having any sort of infection from the subcision. I really appreciate my Dr in that he listens to his patients and has a really good bedside manner. I feel very fortunate to have found him.

I know Mr Matt said he had similiar lumps for about 5 weeks and this was comforting. My Dr said they were normal when I had my first checkup. What concerned me was that they had grown in size and the twingy sensations that I was feeling underneath some of the lumps-that is what scared me and made me worry. I don't know how to describe the sensations other than twinges. They weren't necessarily painful but like little random electric pulses. Did anyone else get these when they had a cystic underground breakout? I remember them and that's what frightened me.....ha ha I just had a memory! I remember that I used to joke around that my monster zit was having contractions and going to have a baby. Funny how I used to use humor back then to make things better......

I'll keep you posted.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/09/2013 10:03 am

polecat i feel for all that you are going through and yeah when i get cysts they feel like that. its awful! usually taking a few aleve twice a day for a few days really helps them as well as icing them too. you are on antibiotics too right? that should help for sure but if not ask for keflex that stuff works good and fast on those cysts. keep us update and i hope you heal soon and that those bumps go away for you. take care!

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 04/09/2013 11:19 am

Twingy sensations might be a result of temporary hypoxia and its a great thing if you feel them.

These electric pulses are causing the secretion of HIF(hypoxia inducible factor) that results

in a number of other factors that promote angiogenesis.

I get these sensations also from iodine,subcision even from smoking MJ (i get the last ones in scalp skin

tissue and my hair were feeling and looking great a week later lol).

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 04/09/2013 9:02 pm

Thank you tracy521 and panos. I already feel so much better-the bumps are still there but they are not as prominent and the twinges have stopped.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 04/10/2013 7:18 am

My Dr said he wanted to make sure I was not having any sort of infection from the subcision. I really appreciate my Dr in that he listens to his patients and has a really good bedside manner. I feel very fortunate to have found him.

I know Mr Matt said he had similiar lumps for about 5 weeks and this was comforting. My Dr said they were normal when I had my first checkup. What concerned me was that they had grown in size and the twingy sensations that I was feeling underneath some of the lumps-that is what scared me and made me worry. I don't know how to describe the sensations other than twinges. They weren't necessarily painful but like little random electric pulses. Did anyone else get these when they had a cystic underground breakout? I remember them and that's what frightened me.....ha ha I just had a memory! I remember that I used to joke around that my monster zit was having contractions and going to have a baby. Funny how I used to use humor back then to make things better......

I'll keep you posted.

I, too, had a tingly sensation in my skin and I later learned that this was a healing response to the trauma incurred by subcision and it was collagen remodeling. If you've ever had a deep cut or wound, it begins to itch after awhile. It's actually an indication that the helping process is underway and is a good thing.

Matt