Notifications
Clear all

Mineral Powder Vs Liquid Foundation

MemberMember
(@monsterbarb)

Posted : 03/10/2013 10:53 pm

Hi,

I got to the stage around 6 months ago where I found myself unable to leave the house without some amount of face coverage. Since then until now, I'd only use liquid foundation all over for great coverage, but still encountered some of the expected problems that arise with covering your face with makeup.

Just a few days ago I decided to swap my liquid makeup (I'd used Clinique anti-blemish liquid makeup) for seemingly lighter mineral powder foundation (Nude by Nature/Proactiv brand). The difference was quite a shock - the feel of it is quite annoying (even if I moisturise and prime my skin well) and while I haven't seen any flare ups, it just feels like my pores are clogging up moreso than I did with liquid. I suppose swirling goop around on my face should be worse than a cake of power just sitting on top, but who knows

Is this a sign to stop and go back to my usual makeup, and are there any benefits you've personally experienced by sticking by powder foundation? Also, what can mineral powder do for your overall complexion?

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/11/2013 2:51 am

Mineral makeup isn't for everyone. Actually a lot of people are allergic to bizmuth (an ingedient in mineral makeup) and it's really uncomfortable for them to wear. Maybe try a BB cream ( a real one, not a knock off) or a pressed powder foundation like a mineralized skinfinsh from MAC.

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 03/11/2013 9:16 am

I can use one or two BB creams if I mix them with some regular sunscreen, or I can use mineral powder, but only if my skin is not too flaky. There are non-bismuth foundations out there. I do not use liquid foundations because they feel gross and will migrate into any lines or flakes or pimples.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/11/2013 3:33 pm

I can use one or two BB creams if I mix them with some regular sunscreen, or I can use mineral powder, but only if my skin is not too flaky. There are non-bismuth foundations out there. I do not use liquid foundations because they feel gross and will migrate into any lines or flakes or pimples.

Wow, what foundations have you been using? only the "bad quality" type of foundations migrate into fine lines and emphasize pimples. You should go to Sephora and browse for an actual decent foundation you can wear on a day to day basis. There is definitely tons of new innovative formulas out there these days; something for everyone.

MemberMember
(@monsterbarb)

Posted : 03/11/2013 5:52 pm

I've definitely taken note of MAC's pressed powder, perhaps that's something I could try.

But about BB creams - I have tried them but I suspect they're what you call "knock-offs": Garnier in particular. What would you consider an actual or high end BB cream?

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 03/11/2013 8:30 pm

Wow, what foundations have you been using? only the "bad quality" type of foundations migrate into fine lines and emphasize pimples. You should go to Sephora and browse for an actual decent foundation you can wear on a day to day basis. There is definitely tons of new innovative formulas out there these days; something for everyone.

I am 35. I have fine lines, mainly nasolabial folds, and oily skin. There is not a foundation out there that won't migrate, with or without primer, and they all feel gross. I used to be a makeup artist for Clinique; I'm not a novice, and Sephora has plenty of my money. I always go back to aforesaid options. Also, my skin is nice color and texture aside from the occasional breakout, and I feel like using a full-face foundation actually highlights pimples by making the rest of my skin so even that any little pimple stands out. Now, this is my opinion, and your mileage obviously varies, which is why when someone is sharing their personal preferences, it is often best not to tell them they are doing it wrong. wink.png

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/12/2013 7:13 pm

I am 35. I have fine lines, mainly nasolabial folds, and oily skin. There is not a foundation out there that won't migrate, with or without primer, and they all feel gross. I used to be a makeup artist for Clinique; I'm not a novice, and Sephora has plenty of my money. I always go back to aforesaid options. Also, my skin is nice color and texture aside from the occasional breakout, and I feel like using a full-face foundation actually highlights pimples by making the rest of my skin so even that any little pimple stands out. Now, this is my opinion, and your mileage obviously varies, which is why when someone is sharing their personal preferences, it is often best not to tell them they are doing it wrong. wink.png

Have you tried Hourglass? my mother uses their foundation, she has very deep set lines and her skin is still very acne prone and their foundation wears beautifully on her.

I've definitely taken note of MAC's pressed powder, perhaps that's something I could try.

But about BB creams - I have tried them but I suspect they're what you call "knock-offs": Garnier in particular. What would you consider an actual or high end BB cream?

A real BB cream has the exact coverage of an actual foundation and has excellent sebum control and healing benefits to the skin. The Asian brand "Lioele" makes a full coverage one for acne prone skin but you'd have to order online. The drugstore BB's and even the ones sold at Sephora (smashbox ect.) are just tinted moisturizers with inferior formulas that couldn't cover a freckle..let alone acne.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/22/2013 10:37 am

i hate liquid foundation too. i have tried so many and cant find one that doesn't make my skin feel all icky after a while. i have the makeup forever hd foundation and it covers decent but the bare minerals covers the best out of any that i have ever tried. i can pretty much hide anything with that stuff but the only thing it doesn't do is cover the deeper indented scarring. any tips for that?