Notifications
Clear all

Anxiety, Depression, Suicidal Thoughts And Accutane?

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:06 pm

Has anybody taken accutane with anxiety/ depression or any psychological issues? How did the drug affect you? Did your mental condition get worse during or after? How about suicidal thoughts? I'm asking because my dermatologist wants to prescribe me accutane and knowing that i have chronic anxiety, i am scared i may be prone to suicidal thoughts or depression. I did consult my dermatologist but all he said was that the side effects won't be that bad, just dry lips and dry skin.

I was doing a lot of research and found this video:

Anybody watched that before?

What are your thoughts?

MemberMember
(@monkeybeanmagic)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:53 pm

Accutane will actually improve your mood and can even be considered an anti-depressant of sorts (it will clear your skin and give it a healthy glow so your self-image will improve which will in turn make you a happier person). The studies which have been done have established no link between depression/suicidal ideation and accutane.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23347302

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19522777

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:55 pm

Well the thing is that yes, it can cause changes to the brain and studies ( Dr Douglas Bremner, James Crandall P.hd and 1 done in Austin, Tx) have shown that! Acutally one of the members on this board and started the thread Long term damage (IndigoRush) is in that video! It has caused changes in the brain of thoose who never suffered any type of anxiety, depression etc...

Some will say that acne caused thier depression etc... Some will say that it's not true, but if you search this board and other fourms you will see that it can and that is why it is labeled extensively! It doesn't suprise me that your derm said that only some dry lips etc.. Almost all of them say that, though there are a few who are honest.

In the end it is up to you and your decision as you will have to live with the outcome! If your acne is not that bad then try light therapy, diet etc...

I don't suffer from depression etc... but I did get some life altering health issues from Accutane!

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/09/2013 9:27 pm

Accutane will actually improve your mood and can even be considered an anti-depressant of sorts (it will clear your skin and give it a healthy glow so your self-image will improve which will in turn make you a happier person). The studies which have been done have established no link between depression/suicidal ideation and accutane.

Hmm, i think it's different for everyone, but i'm still concerned. Thanks for your input thought.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 03/09/2013 9:34 pm

Accutane brings me out of depression and anxiety acne is what causes it for me.. lol

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/10/2013 5:17 am

Accutane brings me out of depression and anxiety acne is what causes it for me.. lol

Thanks great to hear :)

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 03/10/2013 6:53 pm

@Leereworte - Your inaccurate information is blatant lies - stop spreading Roche PR lies.

@onehardbattle Accutane is poison that non selectively destroys your body and your derm is trying to take the 'easy' way out - do not consider it

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/10/2013 8:47 pm

@Leereworte - Your inaccurate information is blatant lies - stop spreading Roche PR lies.

@onehardbattle Accutane is poison that non selectively destroys your body and your derm is trying to take the 'easy' way out - do not consider it

Maybe it's just not worth it. It is going to be my last resort but I'm scared of the side effects. I know it may not apply for everyone since most people who had success with it had the minor side effects but the other side effects listed scared the hell out of me shake.gif

MemberMember
(@monkeybeanmagic)

Posted : 03/10/2013 11:02 pm

Since you're a woman, then spironolactone is a great option. 200 mg spiro coupled with 50 mg doxycycline and tazorac .1% gel at night will give you beautiful skin. Not quite Accutane skin (nothing is more beautiful or attractive than accutane skin), but still good, fairly clear skin.

I wouldn't let the people on here scare you away from Accutane. They are a very very small percentage of Accutane users and they are blaming problems which they would have suffered from anyway on Accutane. You can find people on the internet claiming all sorts of terrible side effects for pretty much every single prescription drug out there.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 03/10/2013 11:32 pm

You want to see accutane skin? Go look at the before & after photos on my profile.

@ Leereworte - I would have had no hairloss or any of the million other LISTED side effects this drug has given me had I not ingested this toxic poison - you really are a short sighted ignoramus

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/11/2013 12:46 pm

Since you're a woman, then spironolactone is a great option. 200 mg spiro coupled with 50 mg doxycycline and tazorac .1% gel at night will give you beautiful skin. Not quite Accutane skin (nothing is more beautiful or attractive than accutane skin), but still good, fairly clear skin.

I wouldn't let the people on here scare you away from Accutane. They are a very very small percentage of Accutane users and they are blaming problems which they would have suffered from anyway on Accutane. You can find people on the internet claiming all sorts of terrible side effects for pretty much every single prescription drug out there.

Yeah, i am considering spiro but i'm not really interested in topical treatments.because i had a really really bad experience with topical treatments I get that accutane can work for many people and transform their skin into "beautiful accutane skin" but the side effect are serious. I'm just concerned about how it will effect you mentally. Someone did post that it will make your psychological issues go away due to the fact that you are clearing up, but some people can develop psychological problems after the drug(from the drug changing your brain).

"they are blaming problems which they would have suffered from anyway on Accutane" It sounds like accutane is going to bring people to an early death? For example, if i had taken accutane and have never suffered from back pains, but after taking accutane i suffered from back pains which i am supposedly going to have in the future (middle ages) but after taking accutane i am suffering at a very young age.

There are many people with great results and suffer from no side effects post accutane, but there are people who do suffer from them. It just makes me second guess if it would be the right drug for me. Thank you for your input though, i'm still debating because acne is a pain to deal and accutane seems like a quick fix but the side effects doesn't seem worth it so i am open to other options, i just wanted to know as much as possible about accutane since it is my last resort.

You want to see accutane skin? Go look at the before & after photos on my profile.

@ Leereworte - I would have had no hairloss or any of the million other LISTED side effects this drug has given me had I not ingested this toxic poison - you really are a short sighted ignoramus

I'm sorry that accutane made you suffer from it's side effects. It really makes me think whether it would be worth it and as of right now, i am leaning towards other options such as spiro. Thank you for taking the time to post.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/11/2013 1:43 pm

if you have bad acne, and i mean, all over your neck, chest, back - google severe acne. if you look like that, then consider accutane.

if you don't then don't consider it. it has side effects, like all medications but this one is nasty. my doctor says almost 80% of her patients have MOOD changes, not particularly depression, but anger, psychosis, and just behavioral changes,