Notifications
Clear all

A Way To See If You Have High Testosterone?

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/09/2013 7:35 pm

Hello, i'm sorry if this is not on the right form! Anyways, i always thought i had high levels of testosterone. I have excess oily skin, a big of facial hair, hair near my belly button(just a few strands) and some other symptoms of high testosterone. I just found a weird way you can determine if you have high testosterone levels by measuring your index finger and your ring finger. If your index finger is shorter than your ring finger, you may have high testosterone levels? I don't have anything to prove this, but i just wanted to know if anybody heard of this??

MemberMember
(@tony1990)

Posted : 03/09/2013 7:46 pm

I read that somewhere online as well lol but probably going for a test is a better option

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:07 pm

I read that somewhere online as well lol but probably going for a test is a better option

Yeah, i'm going to get tested soon, but it's pretty cool eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@tony1990)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:28 pm

Are you a guy or girl? Sorry cos girls can get high teresterone as well. I suspect that I have high teresterone too probably due to stress. My symptoms are like mood swings, depression and I can get angry at the littlest things. I'm gonna go get it tested too soon

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:42 pm

Are you a guy or girl? Sorry cos girls can get high teresterone as well. I suspect that I have high teresterone too probably due to stress. My symptoms are like mood swings, depression and I can get angry at the littlest things. I'm gonna go get it tested too soon

I'm a girl.I think i have high testosterone because i have almost all of the symptoms . I have pretty bad mood swings, bad anxiety, extreme emotions, hair loss, irregular periods(i have mine every other month) and extreme irritability. I snap at everyone eusa_doh.gifStress really messes up your hormones. I break out pretty bad on my chin and i read that it's because of hormone imbalance and stress, but i also break out on every where else.

MemberMember
(@tony1990)

Posted : 03/10/2013 1:03 am

Have you looked into bcp or Spiro? I've seen a lot of success stories when it comes to hormonal acne. I'm a guy so Idk what to take to lower my teresterone.

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/10/2013 5:06 am

Have you looked into bcp or Spiro? I've seen a lot of success stories when it comes to hormonal acne. I'm a guy so Idk what to take to lower my teresterone.

Actually, my dermatologist wants to put me on Spiro, but i am really scared of the initial breakout and being dependent on it. I might eventually take it, but i am going to a holistic doctor before i do any medication. Hopefully i can treat it holistically..

How bad is your acne? Are you concerned about the oily skin that high test levels can give? Seems kind of cliche but many people say that diet may play a big role. Do you consume too much red meat, diary or soy? Do you exercise or lift weights? If not, you should try exercise or something. It supposed to help with stress and stress could be the cause of hormonal imbalance(high test). My main cause of acne/high test is from extreme stress and anxiety. I did list spearmint/mint/green tea but i am pretty sure it was mainly applying to women.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/10/2013 6:45 pm

From Wikipedia:

The digit ratio is the ratio of the lengths of different digits or fingers typically measured from the midpoint of bottom crease where the finger joins the hand to the tip of the finger.[1]It has been suggested by some scientists that the ratio of two digits in particular, the 2nd (index finger) and 4th (ring finger), is affected by exposure to androgens e.g. testosterone while in the uterus and that this 2D:4D ratio can be considered a crude measure for prenatal androgen exposure, with lower 2D:4D ratios pointing to higher androgen exposure. The 2D:4D ratio is calculated by dividing the length of the index finger of the right hand by the length of the ring finger. A longer index finger will result in a ratio higher than 1, while a longer ring finger will result in a ratio of less than 1.

MemberMember
(@tony1990)

Posted : 03/10/2013 7:29 pm

I'd say my acne fluctuate from mild to moderate. It was severe at one stage but that's when I was really really depressed about something in my life and depressed about my acne too. Now that I have calmed down a bit the acne seemed to calm down with it. It's just the marks and I probably still get like one pimple a day. Back then I would have at least 20 pimples on my face at once now it's probably 2-3 at a time. I don't think diet plays a major role in my acne. I did try to eat healthy for a few months with no improvement. Now I just eat whatever and it doesn't seem to affect my acne. Just whenever I get stressed out or angry I noticed I break out the next day in bigger pimples. So that's why I think I have high teresterone which is causing my acne. Its just so hard to stay relaxed or the time. Sigh..

I'd say my acne fluctuate from mild to moderate. It was severe at one stage but that's when I was really really depressed about something in my life and depressed about my acne too. Now that I have calmed down a bit the acne seemed to calm down with it. It's just the marks and I probably still get like one pimple a day. Back then I would have at least 20 pimples on my face at once now it's probably 2-3 at a time. I don't think diet plays a major role in my acne. I did try to eat healthy for a few months with no improvement. Now I just eat whatever and it doesn't seem to affect my acne. Just whenever I get stressed out or angry I noticed I break out the next day in bigger pimples. So that's why I think I have high teresterone which is causing my acne. Its just so hard to stay relaxed or the time. Sigh..

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/10/2013 9:12 pm

From Wikipedia:

The digit ratio is the ratio of the lengths of different digits or fingers typically measured from the midpoint of bottom crease where the finger joins the hand to the tip of the finger.[1]It has been suggested by some scientists that the ratio of two digits in particular, the 2nd (index finger) and 4th (ring finger), is affected by exposure to androgens e.g. testosterone while in the uterus and that this 2D:4D ratio can be considered a crude measure for prenatal androgen exposure, with lower 2D:4D ratios pointing to higher androgen exposure. The 2D:4D ratio is calculated by dividing the length of the index finger of the right hand by the length of the ring finger. A longer index finger will result in a ratio higher than 1, while a longer ring finger will result in a ratio of less than 1.

For the record, my index finger and ring finger are exactly the same, which supposedly means I should have average heterosexual female hormone levels. However spironolactone helped my acne when nothing else would.

Info from this article: http://www.viewzone.com/fingers.html

>>>

Scientists believe that the link is caused by different levels of the hormones testosterone and estrogen in the womb -- and the effect they have on both brain development and finger length. This is nothing new, since scientists have known for many years that elevated levels of testosterone -- or other hormones closely resembling testosterone -- can cause the brains of both males and females to be more "masculine."

It has long been known that boys tend to do better on math tests while girls do better at writing, reading and verbal tests.

"Testosterone has been argued to promote development of the areas of the brain which are often associated with spatial and mathematical skills," said Dr Mark Brosnan, Head of the Department of Psychology at the University of Bath, who led the study.

"Estrogen is thought to do the same in the areas of the brain which are often associated with verbal ability. "Interestingly, these hormones are also thought have a say in the relative lengths of our index and ring fingers.

"We can use measurements of these fingers as a way of gauging the relative exposure to these two hormones in the womb and as we have shown through this study, we can also use them to predict ability in the key areas of numeracy and literacy.

Interesting...i guess i'll need an actual hormone test to determine if i have high levels of testosterone. I may be considering spironolactone which my derm prescribed to me, but i'm too scared to use it because of the initial breakout(cystic acne). I have tried birth control before and it made my acne worse, so i'm not sure about spironolactone. Thank you for the info smile.png

This may sound crazy, but it maybe be linked to your emotions. Supposedly when you're angry, your stress hormones goes crazy which causes an imbalance. Being depressed or having any psychological issues maybe also be one cause. I think we are in the same boat. I do notice when i get angry and feel like i want to punch someone in the face, i break out in angry red pimples on my forehead..and when i stress out really bad, i break out on my cheeks and chin area. Where are your break outs located? Have you visited the derm? What are you using to treat your acne? I'll be going to see a holistic doctor sometimes this week and i'll let you know what they tell me about high testosterone levels in male and female.

MemberMember
(@tony1990)

Posted : 03/11/2013 12:33 am

Yeah I think my emotions plays a big role in my acne. I'm currently taking vitamin d, fish oil and probiotics. Washing my face with oatmeal. These do help but it doesn't cure my problem. What about you?

MemberMember
(@anotherdaypassesby)

Posted : 03/11/2013 12:57 pm

Yeah I think my emotions plays a big role in my acne. I'm currently taking vitamin d, fish oil and probiotics. Washing my face with oatmeal. These do help but it doesn't cure my problem. What about you?

I heard Saw Palmetto help for guys. Have you heard of that? I've tried washing with oatmeal before, it actually made my skin more irritated and sensitive(weird it supposed to be soothing) :/ . Have you tried BP or any other medications?

Right now, i am just using a simple cleanser and a moisturizer. No topical or medication. I have a few things in my list that i want to try out such as Yogi detox tea, Apple Cider Vinegar toner, Witch Hazel, Diet and lifestyle(when i see my holistic doc), a DIY acne/acne scar mask(also with ACV, green tea, sugar, lemon and honey) and of course medication such as antibiotics, spironolactone and accutane which i am hesitant on. There are many many thing that could help with your acne, but it is a pain in the butt finding something that works. I'm also trying out yoga, today was my first day and i'm definitely feeling a little better. Maybe you should try to look for things that would calm you down and de-stress you. What do you usually do for de-stressing?

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/19/2013 12:19 am

Actually you can have acne and extra hair without the high testoserone - I'm dealing with both yet my testosterone is completely normal. My sebaceous glands are just extra sensitive to DHT so they get overstimulated by even a regular amount causing acne and my body hair to become darker (which is really unpleasant).