Notifications
Clear all

It All Makes Sense

MemberMember
(@acneman21293)

Posted : 03/09/2013 6:50 pm

I've eaten like crap since a little kid high gi foods all the time. I had the worst breakout of my life when I tried to put on weight eating anything at 4000 calories a day. It's now pretty much under control under minocycline but I know antibiotics are no cure for severe acne. I'm in college now and can't really afford to go on paleo at this point. My plan is to stay on mino for a few weeks into the summer while starting the paleo then coming off the mino. I also saw my acne get much worse when winter rolled around. I'm taking probiotics now and have had no complications with mino in the past. I was on it for 3 months my sr year of high school. I will continue to take probiotics and 24000 iu of vitamin a prescribed by my dermatologist for the summer. Anyone think I can at least control my severe acne with this plan? Anyone gone from severe acne to mild acne by doing something similar? Having a plan gives me at least a little hope.

My acne shouldn't come back worse just because I'm on mino right? The only real complications to worry about would be severe side effects caused my the diminishing flora from what I've researched. Antibiotics are such a waste of time

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/09/2013 7:20 pm

umm, how long have you been on mino for thus far? I HIGHLY reccomend going off of minocycline. Antibiotics cause a whole mess of issues (read leaky gut syndrome), and on top of that, most likely will make your acne come back MUCH worse. What severe side effects have you come across in your research?

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 03/10/2013 3:00 pm

I also saw my acne get much worse when winter rolled around.

That's because your probably getting little to no Vitamin D (from the sun) in the winter and your body is likely deficient. You need to supplement with Vitamin D during winter. Doing so has completely cleared me.

MemberMember
(@acneman21293)

Posted : 03/10/2013 10:50 pm

I've only been on mino for two months. I'm taking probiotics with it. I really can't afford to go off it now or my acne will come back while I'm in school and I don't wanna deal with that. I'll come off of it in two months. How much harm could be done in two months?

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 03/11/2013 11:05 pm

Nobody can really say how much damage a course in antibiotics causes. To my knowledge it has never been thoroughly studied. I looked into this once, and the papers on this generally note that the gut microbiota is fairly stable and bounces back after a disturbance (such as antibiotics).
Many studies note that the microbiota had rebounded back within a few weeks of finishing the antibiotics, but I'm not sure that's the whole story. The problem is that scientists have a limited ability to detect changes in the gut microbiota. And earlier studies used techniques that weren't sensitive enough to detect minor changes. More recent studies have shown that small disturbances persist 2 and 4 years after a 7-day course or clindamycin. To be fair, it's hard to know whether these small disturbances have any health effects.
Our scientific understanding of the gut microbiota still leaves a lot to be desired. There's a lot we don't know. So this question can't be answered definitively yet.
I would be careful with antibiotics. Simply because there's no evidence they have any long-term beneficial effects. They work while you take them, but that's all. Acne comes back when you stop them. And there's a definitive possibility of risk. Not to mention the coming antibiotic shortages because of resistance bacteria.
This is a summary of a more detailed post on the topic I wrote here:
MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 03/11/2013 11:23 pm

My understanding it Mino is one of the worst for you long term. Can really mess up your teeth too. If you are going to take antibiotics and haven't tried it already, go on Bactrim. It's much safer. I was on it off it for years with little to no side effects and it is one of the most effective at controlling acne. Still not ideal to be on any antibiotic long term but some are better than others when there are no other options.

MemberMember
(@acneman21293)

Posted : 03/24/2013 3:31 pm

I'm just going to take the antibiotics and probiotics til summer. I can't make a huge diet adjustment at school it's just not feasible economically. I think if I cut out high glycemic foods and fried foods and take a lot of vitamin d I might have a chance? I would truly be okay with a few pimples just as long as I have no cysts ill be happy. This is so depressing.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 03/24/2013 6:57 pm

Like Sepsi said there isn't a lot science can tell us about the impact of antibiotics on flora. From the many anecdotal cases, I would say there is some cause for alarm. Though we may not yet know the mechanism, antibiotics clearly have a detrimental effect in some people, even if they don't notice it or think induced changes are normal.

It's certainly possible for acne to come back worse after going off an antibiotic. In fact, I would say the majority of cases end up like this; I don't think I've heard of more than a handful of people who had their acne get better after coming off antibiotics. If your acne is in part caused by flora imbalances, and these imbalances are being favored by minocycline, continuing the antibiotic could be digging the potential hole you're in a little deeper.

I think you should definitely take the advice of several other people in this thread and start taking vitamin D. Getting worse in winter is a sure sign of deficiency, and while it might not clear you up completely, it certainly won't hurt.

If you take the vitamin D and see improvement, I would suggest that you immediately begin weaning yourself off the antibiotics, and concurrently increase intake of probiotic vegetables like sauerkraut and kimchi (yogurt might not be enough). Unwashed, organic green salads are also very useful (key being unwashed).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/25/2013 7:27 am

I'm just going to take the antibiotics and probiotics til summer. I can't make a huge diet adjustment at school it's just not feasible economically. I think if I cut out high glycemic foods and fried foods and take a lot of vitamin d I might have a chance? I would truly be okay with a few pimples just as long as I have no cysts ill be happy. This is so depressing.

Yes. Those are the main thing to reduce and prevent acne. Try also to increase the nutrient content. Although if you have an intolerance to something and it is the cause of your cysts, you won't get much improvement until you eliminate the problematic food. But they might become less inflamed and heal faster.

Do the antibiotics even help your cysts?

MemberMember
(@acneman21293)

Posted : 03/25/2013 9:27 am

Yes they do. I'm pretty much clear right now. That's why I'm hesitant to let go