Notifications
Clear all

Done With My Accutane Journey! (Pics)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 03/09/2013 3:47 pm

Hey guys!

I'm finally done with my 4 and a half month journey of Accutane! I know lots of you need motivation and my breakout wasn't simple. It was one of the toughest ones I ever had.

Here's my story.

I've struggled with acne ever since I hit 13 (I'm 16 now), not as severe but I had the occasional pimples here and there. When I hit 15 is when my acne really began to get serious. I started getting cysts and numerous whiteheads all over my face, just to later expand to my back and chest. I took doxycycline and it did clear me up completely for a couple months. During July of 2012, I broke out once again. This time, my derm recommended me to use Accutane, since it was my last shot for a cure. I decided to take it and prayed for the best. My initial breakout was one of the toughest I have ever suffered, probably one of the worst I've ever seen.

Pictures of my breakout:

month3day5pic1.jpg

month3day5pic2.jpg

2012092918471477.jpg

It was the hardest moment of my life. I gave up on looking for a girl (even the girl I had a deep crush with and I knew she liked me back...I gave it up), I rarely went to do sports, I NEVER wanted to go out, I would get mad when my parents invited people over...My life was completely down. There was this one day I was so depressed about my acne, I faked being sick in school to go home and just be with my parents. I can't describe how much pain I went through. There were days where I cried of frustration with my appearance. I was collapsed emotionally. Really, really collapsed.

After the third month, things began to look a bit better. My face began clearing every day a bit more, and people noticed it. Slowly, my confidence began to build up once again and things were finally getting a whole lot better. I started going out a bit more and actually decided to enjoy my life and ignore the acne problem. I prayed every day and night to get better, and I began to see myself helped by God and my parents. I also had fantastic friends that came to visit me when I was really depressed and we chilled together. My life was turning around.

My face got a whole lot better, and by the time I cleared up acne wise, my treatment was over. I was happy to feel confident once again and to go outside with my friends. I hate being so self concious at times but I realized how much better I was. My parents, friends, and family tell me I look much better. I do still have the marks but that's the least. I'm getting chemical peels a couple months from now and it's fantastic to know that everything is a whole lot better now.

Here's pics of my face now:

20130309150331.jpg

20130309150326.jpg

20130309150321.jpg

I know my face isn't completely like I want it at the moment, but it's a billion times better than what it was. I'd like to thank all of those who kept helping me out here on acne.org when I was desperate for answers and for those who just helped me keep my head up high and have hope. I'm truly amazed at what such a great community, faith and a medication can do to my life, and I truly am grateful.

This is my story to you guys, and feel free to share your thoughts. If you're going through acne, I'm always here if you need help. Thanks guys!

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 03/09/2013 4:01 pm

Great progress, man! Happy to hear that the tane worked for you.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 03/18/2013 1:54 am

Wow, great results! Congrats! :)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 03/18/2013 7:07 pm

Wow, great results! Congrats! smile.png

Thank you! I mainly keep this up to motivate the people who are on Accutane or if they just have acne in general "no matter how bad it gets, there is a way out".

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/19/2013 5:32 am

Congratulations! You're skin looks 1000% better. I'm glad accutance worked for you. :)

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/22/2013 3:56 pm

Your skin looks wonderful! I'm so happy for you; thank you for sharing the motivation.

MemberMember
(@blabla05)

Posted : 03/23/2013 4:24 pm

amazing. i nearlly cried when i read about the hardship you went through emotionally. i can relate.. some days all i want to do is cry in bed

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 03/23/2013 6:39 pm

Congrats on your success!

I am sure you will have greater improvement as time goes on! Just let your body do its work

And make sure to wear sunscreen! :)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 03/24/2013 10:02 am

amazing. i nearlly cried when i read about the hardship you went through emotionally. i can relate.. some days all i want to do is cry in bed

Thanks for the support really! Acne is a tough thing to go through and I know exactly what you're going through. Just remember to have faith and stay strong. If I was able to get out of it, I'm more than sure you can too. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Congrats on your success!

I am sure you will have greater improvement as time goes on! Just let your body do its work

And make sure to wear sunscreen! smile.png

Thanks so much! I'm beginning to see the marks less and less red every day. Oh and I always wear sunscreen if I'm going to be in the sun, so no worries!

MemberMember
(@kirstyaust94)

Posted : 03/25/2013 4:21 am

Wow, that must feel awesome to have such great results. Your before pictures look physically painful and were undoubtedly emotionally painful as well & I'm so glad that it worked for you. By the way, I feel compelled to add, & I apologize for the creepiness in advance, your full lips are much to my envy! haha smile.png All the best.

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 03/25/2013 11:17 am

Wow, that must feel awesome to have such great results. Your before pictures look physically painful and were undoubtedly emotionally painful as well & I'm so glad that it worked for you. By the way, I feel compelled to add, & I apologize for the creepiness in advance, your full lips are much to my envy! haha smile.png All the best.

Thank you for the support :) Yeah it was both a psychological and physical pain that I had to go through for 1-3 months. But I'm happy to be acne free. The marks are fading even more by the day, so it'll soon be all gone. It's amazing to feel my skin smooth once again.

You like my lips? Haha I don't find it creepy at all. I've never even noticed my lips, but I guess girls do notice a lot more things than us guys do. I'm taking that as a compliment for sure lol :P and thanks!

MemberMember
(@kirstyaust94)

Posted : 03/25/2013 3:16 pm

Haha! Yes, it definitely was a compliment. I'm glad it wasn't interpreted as creepy as I don't have the funds to put a downpayment on a white van and unlimited supply of lollies at the moment. tongue.png

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/25/2013 7:51 pm

Congratulations on having success!

:)

You look incredible!

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 03/28/2013 9:41 am

Just trying to keep this thread alive for others.

MemberMember
(@darkdragoon)

Posted : 03/28/2013 10:57 pm

Awesome news man. I too just finished my five month course of accutane. The purging was tough, but neccessary. My pores are all emptied out now and my skin is completely clear. I'm ten years older than you and I wish I went on it when I was your age. The last ten years of my life would have been a lot better.

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 03/29/2013 1:43 pm

Awesome news man. I too just finished my five month course of accutane. The purging was tough, but neccessary. My pores are all emptied out now and my skin is completely clear. I'm ten years older than you and I wish I went on it when I was your age. The last ten years of my life would have been a lot better.

Thank you for the support man. And yeah it's a tough ride, but it's worth it at the end. It must be even harder being an adult since you have a bunch of responsibilities to attend to compared to me, a teenager.

MemberMember
(@robynegx)

Posted : 04/04/2013 9:19 am

Wow your skin looks incredible now !!

I'm so glad it worked for you !!

I've just started roaccutane which I've been told is similar to accutane and this has gave me hope that my skin will too improve :-)

Quick question - I'm experiencing ridiculously dry lips and I know this is a common side effect .. Just wondered if you used any good lip balms that you could recommend to me ?

Thanks !! :-)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 04/06/2013 12:31 am

I've just started roaccutane which I've been told is similar to accutane and this has gave me hope that my skin will too improve whistling.gif)

Quick question - I'm experiencing ridiculously dry lips and I know this is a common side effect .. Just wondered if you used any good lip balms that you could recommend to me ?

Thanks !! whistling.gif)

Thank you so much for the support! Roaccutane is if I'm correct the same exact thing as accutane (isotretinoin) but it's the european name for it apparently. Well, I never got really bad dry lips, so I would just constantly use the chapstick lip balm. A lot of other people use this other thing which I sadly forgot what it was called, but as soon as I remember I'll inbox the name to you. Good luck and welcome to the community! :D

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 04/06/2013 6:26 pm

I've just started roaccutane which I've been told is similar to accutane and this has gave me hope that my skin will too improve whistling.gif)

Thanks !! whistling.gif)

Thank you so much for the support! Roaccutane is if I'm correct the same exact thing as accutane (isotretinoin) but it's the european name for it apparently. Well, I never got really bad dry lips, so I would just constantly use the chapstick lip balm. A lot of other people use this other thing which I sadly forgot what it was called, but as soon as I remember I'll inbox the name to you. Good luck and welcome to the community! biggrin.png

The thing for the lips is called Aquaphor. That's what most people use if they get really really dry lips. Hope I helped and cheers!

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 06/28/2013 10:03 pm

bump

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 07/01/2013 8:15 pm

bump

MemberMember
(@jilliang)

Posted : 07/02/2013 1:07 pm

Congratulations on your success, as well as being so strong through your acne depression! You've fought a tough skin battle, and your skin looks awesome. :)

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 07/02/2013 3:29 pm

Hey, this is so inspiring to read - well done on making it this far, man! How are your red marks looking now?

I should hopefully be starting accutane at some point over the next few months (whenever the British NHS fits me in!) and I'm absolutely petrified of the IB. But I'm so utterly depressed right now, I figure it must be worth it. I can't wait to get to the other side.

Congratulations once again, you're an inspiration to us all! :)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 07/02/2013 6:44 pm

Hey, this is so inspiring to read - well done on making it this far, man! How are your red marks looking now?

I should hopefully be starting accutane at some point over the next few months (whenever the British NHS fits me in!) and I'm absolutely petrified of the IB. But I'm so utterly depressed right now, I figure it must be worth it. I can't wait to get to the other side.

Congratulations once again, you're an inspiration to us all! smile.png

Thank you for the support- it's good to know that I give strength to others with my post. That's my intention behind the whole journey thing, to help others get through it all.

The red marks are much more faded now compared to the picture, but I'm still getting a TCA peel (medium depth) this or next week to get rid of the marks completely. Basically leaving my skin completely clear. And thanks again for the thanks haha :)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 07/20/2013 10:26 pm

And another bump to keep this thread alive. Have faith all of you out there with acne, whether it's mild, moderate or severe. May my journey be an inspiration to you all ;)