Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Male Yeast Infection?

MemberMember
(@yukon88)

Posted : 03/08/2013 1:15 pm

Hello

This is pretty embarrassing but I've been taking Accutane for the last four months and one of the most common side effects is drying. A month ago I noticed a lot of redness and dryness in my groin area and the urethra of my penis. My dermatologist told me that it wasn't anything for me to worry about and to just apply moisturizer to the dry areas.

This morning I noticed my penis was very red and that there are white spots on the head. They are sort of raised but in some areas it seems looks like the skin itself is drying and being peeled away. There is also a whitish area near the frenulum and near it a very red shiny area almost like it's been cut or a blood vessel burst. I'm really not sure what it is

I have not had sex so I don't suspect an STD. I am uncircumcised though but hygienic (not sure if that could be a factor) I just wanted to get rid of cystic acne but whatever this is is freaking me out.

Has anyone else had something similar?

Is Accutane responsible for this happening to me?

Should I just stop taking accutane?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 03/08/2013 1:30 pm

Since you haven't had sex I would bet it is related to the accutane, you should call your doctor asap to make sure it's nothing serious.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/08/2013 1:46 pm

i think its related to the accutane use, and i think you need to get a second opinion from a different doctor. My doctor told me that it can cause dryness in females as well in that area as well as all sorts of things like anal/rectal bleeding and stuff so I am really not surprised by what is happening to you but dont worry.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 03/10/2013 10:42 pm

It certainly sounds like thrush, especially with the redness and raised white spots. Of course going to your doctor is a must, but thrush in men is generally treated with an anti fungal cream applied twice a day for a week. You can get this from a pharmacy without a prescription.

MemberMember
(@yukon88)

Posted : 03/12/2013 1:20 pm

thanks for the replies! I have started applying Lotrimin Antifungal Clotrimazole cream the last couple days but I'm still scared because so much skin is peeling off and there's red bumps