Notifications
Clear all

Cod Liver Oil Before Subcision And Deepfx?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 03/07/2013 6:27 pm

In a month I am getting subcision and DeepFX spot treatment for about 10 scars spread throughout my face. I am still extremely prone to breakouts but am 100% clear of acne and have been for a while now. Fermented Cod Liver Oil keeps me remarkably clear and my skin just feels extremely calm on it. Clogged pores that in the past would get inflamed now can be scratched off in a day or two. The problem is that I have tried a few times to come off of it as it is pretty expensive. Within 2 weeks or so, my deep and cystic acne comes back mainly on my neck and jawline but sometimes on my cheeks. This is while still continuing to use 2.5% BP and Tazorac .1 religiously every morning and night. I am convinced the fermented cod liver oil keeps me clear as nothing else has worked in 14 years of having acne.

I am reading on some websites that fish oil should not be taken 2 weeks before a surgery or 2 weeks after because it thins the blood from the omega 3's I believe. Cod Liver Oil is supposed to have less Omega 3's than regular fish oil but I still have seen it mentioned as a supplement not to take. I am having trouble finding this information out from reliable sources. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding Cod Liver Oil and if it can actually thin the blood enough to create problems? I asked my doctor and I got the feeling that she wasn't really sure. She said no aspirin or other anti-inflammatorys and no blood thinners but I don't think anyone has ever asked her about cod liver oil.

I am worried since I will have to stop using BP and Tazorac for a week or two while I am recovering. If I also can't take the cod liver oil 2 weeks before the surgery and a 2 weeks after, I know that I will break out badly and possibly add additional scarring. I am probably never going to outgrow acne so I want to get my scars treated now.

MemberMember
(@theexperiment)

Posted : 03/07/2013 7:59 pm

Read this thread here.

Thin blood may be good for a subcision treatment. As long as you aren't also having any Excisions.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 03/08/2013 7:08 am

I also use cod liver oil and am a bit worried of possible breakouts if I have to go off it for future excisions or Total FX. I suppose the only real concern would be increased bleeding, which most likely could be an issue with excisions, and perhaps with laser treatments as well. I will probably try to discuss this with a doctor beforehand, and at least decrease the amount I take for a few weeks, or just cut it out completely.

If cod liver oil keeps you clear and you have to cut down on it, it might be a good idea to try to decrease the amount of omega 6 fatty acids as much as you can, so your omega3/6 balance wouldn't change too much. This means cutting down on all vegetable oils, using grass-fed butter or coconut oil for cooking and also trying to avoid nuts, and animal products high in omega 6 (chicken, eggs, perhaps even pork). You could also ask for antibiotics, I thought they're always prescribed for laser procedures anyway.

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 03/08/2013 1:28 pm

I also use cod liver oil and am a bit worried of possible breakouts if I have to go off it for future excisions or Total FX. I suppose the only real concern would be increased bleeding, which most likely could be an issue with excisions, and perhaps with laser treatments as well. I will probably try to discuss this with a doctor beforehand, and at least decrease the amount I take for a few weeks, or just cut it out completely.

If cod liver oil keeps you clear and you have to cut down on it, it might be a good idea to try to decrease the amount of omega 6 fatty acids as much as you can, so your omega3/6 balance wouldn't change too much. This means cutting down on all vegetable oils, using grass-fed butter or coconut oil for cooking and also trying to avoid nuts, and animal products high in omega 6 (chicken, eggs, perhaps even pork). You could also ask for antibiotics, I thought they're always prescribed for laser procedures anyway.

I am in the process of trying to lower the dosage. I know it won't end well though. Regarding antibiotics, they honestly never really worked for me. I have tried them for months at a time with no change in acne. I have also tried other diet changes to get higher levels of omega 3's and lower levels of omega 6's. For some reason, only the direct approach of taking the cod liver oil and getting high levels of vitamin A and D actually works for me :/