Notifications
Clear all

What Is My Best Option? (Pics)

MemberMember
(@pete23)

Posted : 03/07/2013 2:50 pm

I finished accutane two years ago and have been left with lots of scarring. I've done some dermarolling/dermastamping but it's just not enough. I have a consultation with a derm/plastic surgeon on Monday and I want to be well prepared. What type of scarring do I have? I'm thinking subcision would be best but I'm not sure. I greatly appreciate any advice.

post-203391-0-40656800-1362685463_thumb.

post-203391-0-64618400-1362685489_thumb.

post-203391-0-04731800-1362685520_thumb.

post-203391-0-40656800-1362685463_thumb.

post-203391-0-64618400-1362685489_thumb.

post-203391-0-04731800-1362685520_thumb.

MemberMember
(@rob_x_22)

Posted : 03/07/2013 4:48 pm

your best option is to get a haircut haha jk

MemberMember
(@rockmeamadeus)

Posted : 03/08/2013 1:58 am

Hm, to me it reminds me of my scarring, but less severe and more shallow. But it could be the lighting.

I know it's the worst thing to hear, but your skin looks awesome, the kind of scarring that really no one but you notices. Unless you point it out, like on here.

I was recommended Retin-A and a VI Peel by MY derm. I wouldn't do anything severe for yours, your skin is good enough it's not worth the risk of effing it up.

MemberMember
(@yanagupta)

Posted : 03/08/2013 4:49 am

True. The scarring isn't prominent at all unless you closely look for it. Try something hypoallergenic and light. My suggestion: InviCible Scars. It's good for flattening these types of scars. I myself am experienced to it so i can guarantee its effectiveness. Hope it helps :)

MemberMember
(@pete23)

Posted : 03/08/2013 10:04 am

I appreciate you both saying my scars aren't severe and I wish I felt the same but I just really don't. Yanagupta- could you share more about invicible? I did a quick search and it looks to be a topical to me. It's my understanding that topicals don't do much for scars. Did you really achieve good results?Rockme- have you used the VI peel? Im also interested in this option.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 03/08/2013 10:48 am

Your scars don't look bad - I personally wouldn't do much other than retin a + maybe some sort of peel (like tca) for them.

If you want more aggressive treatment - your reasonable options would be microneedling or spot treatment with fractional co2. They each have their own plus/minuses. Just keep in mind there are risks to both (especially with lasers).

I don't think subcision would help you much, but you can look into that as well. It's usually reserved for deeper scars with round edges (rather than linear edges). But if your Derm wants to do it - and you have the time + money, might be worth a shot.

MemberMember
(@rockmeamadeus)

Posted : 03/08/2013 12:15 pm

I haven't done the VI peel, I left the state before I could start any of those options from that derm. I'm going to see another one in my new state soon. My dermatologist kept telling me that my skin will never be perfect, a scar is a scar, but she said she was really really confident that Retin-A and a VI peel would produce satisfying results for me. I think you could just do the VI peel and skip the Retin-A. Also look up rosehip oil. I know topicals don't have much credibility as far as helping scars, but there's some interesting information about it.

MemberMember
(@pete23)

Posted : 03/10/2013 12:52 pm

Any other thoughts?

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 03/12/2013 1:59 pm

Okay Pete - I want to talk to ya...

Let me first start with, your skin looks very healthy and you are super cute and I would think twice before starting the scar treatment process... I know thats not what you want to hear but take it from someone who also has scarring and thinks its the end of the world... it looks really good.

Things to think about before you jump into scar treatments...

do you like your skin texture (minus the scars you see in certain lighting?) If you do, be prepared for that texture to change so not only will you have the scarring that you hate right now but you will have to emotionally deal with skin that looks damaged for a few months or more after the treatment...

are you okay with laying low for longer than you might anticipate... this can be super tough for some people...

I have scarring, and you can go to my page and click on my "photos of scars..." topic and see them and im sure you can relate to my emotional side to this whole horrible bullshit but, take it from someone who now has done 2 subcisions and 1 traditional laser co2 treatment... it hasnt worked well, it hasnt been easy, and it has only brought much more attention to my scarring...(scarring that at certain angles and in certain lighting, not a lot of people ever noticed before...)

The process to get to where you might want to be, seems impossible, especially after starting it because, right now, im not only still seeing my scarring as big and as obnoxious as ever but I now have serious redness and texture issues on the skin...

I wish you the best of luck - and im here if you ever want to chat more.

MemberMember
(@zach1007)

Posted : 03/13/2013 4:11 am

I know you won't want to hear this because you disagree, but your skin looks fine! If you hadn't have pointed out you have scars, I wouldn't have even noticed. I even had to properly examine the picture to find what you class as scarring.

With all respect, yes it does obviously make you feel uncomfortable with the way you look. I am currently using BioOil which is working great on my scars, and mine are worse than yours. So maybe just applying the BioOil for the 3 month course will help reduce any scars and redness. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 03/13/2013 11:00 pm

your skin is fine you shouldn't even be on this site lol.. if thats What Is Truly Looks like then that scaring is nothing compared to 99.9 Percent of people on here

MemberMember
(@scarred23)

Posted : 03/14/2013 8:28 am

try some home remedies before jumping into chemicals. I think retin A destroyed my skin. It made it thin and never the same again. :(

MemberMember
(@luvskincare13)

Posted : 03/14/2013 11:31 am

I can relate to you. I do agree that based on the pics your scarring appears to be not very noticable but nevertheless I understand you want to improve it. Your scarring is similar to mine in that subcision/fillers really wont help. Not sure what will but if you find something that does let me know:)

MemberMember
(@yanagupta)

Posted : 03/16/2013 12:08 pm

I used inviCible and it worked pretty well. It's a hypoallergenic scar treatment so it's harmless anyway. I used it on stretch marks, dark spots and facial scarring. It worked on all of them. Your scars aren't that much severe so i think you can get rid of them in a month by using IS. It is topical but it's really effective.