Notifications
Clear all

Milk Causing Acne?

MemberMember
(@lalalindz22)

Posted : 03/07/2013 2:44 pm

Hi all,

I stumbled upon these boards while looking up some acne therapies.

Short background:

I've had acne ever since grade 7, and I'm 25 now. At age 15, I was put on Diane 35, and just recently switched to a cheaper birth control, because of changes in my insurance.

With Diane, I was relatively acne-free, but usually around my period would get 1 or 2 large zits.

Lately I've been getting really big zits (I don't think they're cystic) on my chin, which is usually hormone-related, but I'm starting to think it may be from drinking milk. I only have a little bit, a few times a week, with cereal before bed.

Anyone else notice that milk or dairy gives them zits?

MemberMember
(@jabberwocky80)

Posted : 03/07/2013 5:45 pm

I have felt as though milk contributed to my acne. I switched to organic milk, but that didn't help as much as I thought it would! Eventually I switched over to almond milk and don't miss dairy milk one bit. I will flare up during stressful times or as a result of hormonal changes, but I believe that getting off dairy milk was a good choice for me. I still eat cheese, sour cream, yogurt, etc....I just got off of cow's milk.

MemberMember
(@tarn)

Posted : 03/08/2013 6:56 am

I have found that when I cut out milk my skin improves greatly. I cut out sugar and milk about a year ago for several months when I did the liver cleanse diet and my skin was 100% clear. It even stopped the hormonal acne at that time of the month. We did the diet with another couple since our willpower is so bad, and the female of the other couple noticed the same with her hormonal breakouts. I'm considering redoing it as my skin is back to it's hormonal self at the moment.

MemberMember
(@lalalindz22)

Posted : 03/08/2013 9:38 am

I have felt as though milk contributed to my acne. I switched to organic milk, but that didn't help as much as I thought it would! Eventually I switched over to almond milk and don't miss dairy milk one bit. I will flare up during stressful times or as a result of hormonal changes, but I believe that getting off dairy milk was a good choice for me. I still eat cheese, sour cream, yogurt, etc....I just got off of cow's milk.

I don't know if almond milk has the same hormones that cause acne in cow's milk. I also read the skim milk is actually worse, which is what we usually have in the house. I think I'm going to get soy milk, which doesn't have the same hormones and such as cow's milk, and use it in my cereal to start. I really hope cheese and yogurt don't affect me, because I would be very sad!

I have found that when I cut out milk my skin improves greatly. I cut out sugar and milk about a year ago for several months when I did the liver cleanse diet and my skin was 100% clear. It even stopped the hormonal acne at that time of the month. We did the diet with another couple since our willpower is so bad, and the female of the other couple noticed the same with her hormonal breakouts. I'm considering redoing it as my skin is back to it's hormonal self at the moment.

Did you find that cutting out sugar helped too? I have such a sweet tooth, that would be so tragic!! haha

MemberMember
(@jabberwocky80)

Posted : 03/09/2013 4:30 am

I don't know if almond milk has the same hormones that cause acne in cow's milk. I also read the skim milk is actually worse, which is what we usually have in the house. I think I'm going to get soy milk, which doesn't have the same hormones and such as cow's milk, and use it in my cereal to start. I really hope cheese and yogurt don't affect me, because I would be very sad!

Almond milk doesn't have the hormones that cow's milk does. I used to drink 2% but went to skim, but this was years before my cystic acne started. I have never tried soy milk...soy can mimic female hormones so I'm unsure if that would help prevent or further aggravate someone who may be sensitive to hormonal fluctuations.

I apologize...somehow I messed up when replying and trying to quote!

Tarn, the liver cleanse diet sounds very interesting. Could you describe it in further detail or provide a good website to check out? Also, did you take any sort of supplements to help cleanse your liver? Thanks so much.

Lalalindz22, I promise I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I just thought the liver cleanse comment was extremely intriguing! :)

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 03/10/2013 9:25 am

I have not tried quitting it, but my best friend was plagued by chin cysts until she quit dairy, and they stopped. She got tested for food allergies and it turned out she is allergic to dairy, gluten and eggs. Changing her diet was really difficult, esp. as she was vegetarian and had to start eating meat because she can really only eat meat and veggies/fruits now, but her skin is fine now, and she lost 40 lbs!

MemberMember
(@katusha)

Posted : 03/10/2013 10:13 am

I have a very similar story. Acne since I was 12-13, now I am 26. I was on Diane 35 (that kept me almost clear) for a few years but stopped taking it due to the health concern and the fact that I can't get it in the US (I am was taking it in Russia at first). I was always getting lots of whiteheads and lately I am getting big zits on my chin and jaw area.

What I did:

1. Saw Palmetto + Thistle Milk (to reduce oiliness and help my liver, especially since my problem is partially hormones) - Helped with oiliness somewhat but didn't get my clear.

2. Coffee, dairy, and gluten free diet (plus some other things) - I began suspecting a candida as I have a lot of symptoms pointing to that direction.

It has been two 2 weeks on the diet and first I stopped getting zits and in the last few days I didn't get a single whitehead either. I wasn't big on milk (a bit with my oatmeal 2 times a week and very little with my coffee every day) but I think it helped with my zits. Also, beside doing the diet I am planning to do the whole anti-candida complex for a month. Hopefully that helps. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@lalalindz22)

Posted : 03/11/2013 1:40 pm

I have a very similar story. Acne since I was 12-13, now I am 26. I was on Diane 35 (that kept me almost clear) for a few years but stopped taking it due to the health concern and the fact that I can't get it in the US (I am was taking it in Russia at first). I was always getting lots of whiteheads and lately I am getting big zits on my chin and jaw area.

What I did:

1. Saw Palmetto + Thistle Milk (to reduce oiliness and help my liver, especially since my problem is partially hormones) - Helped with oiliness somewhat but didn't get my clear.

2. Coffee, dairy, and gluten free diet (plus some other things) - I began suspecting a candida as I have a lot of symptoms pointing to that direction.

It has been two 2 weeks on the diet and first I stopped getting zits and in the last few days I didn't get a single whitehead either. I wasn't big on milk (a bit with my oatmeal 2 times a week and very little with my coffee every day) but I think it helped with my zits. Also, beside doing the diet I am planning to do the whole anti-candida complex for a month. Hopefully that helps. Good luck.

I also read about saw palmetto, and think I'm going to try that. What is thistle milk?

I looked up candida, and the candida cleanse, sounds interesting. Do you still eat meat? Some of the symptoms ring true for me, like feeling sluggish, but I'm helping that by going to the gym. I'm not ready to try anything as drastic as a cleanse, because I think I would be starving!

Almond milk doesn't have the hormones that cow's milk does. I used to drink 2% but went to skim, but this was years before my cystic acne started. I have never tried soy milk...soy can mimic female hormones so I'm unsure if that would help prevent or further aggravate someone who may be sensitive to hormonal fluctuations.

I apologize...somehow I messed up when replying and trying to quote!

>I have found that when I cut out milk my skin improves greatly. I cut out sugar and milk about a year ago for several months when I did the liver cleanse diet and my skin was 100% clear. It even stopped the hormonal acne at that time of the month. We did the diet with another couple since our willpower is so bad, and the female of the other couple noticed the same with her hormonal breakouts. I'm considering redoing it as my skin is back to it's hormonal self at the moment.

Tarn, the liver cleanse diet sounds very interesting. Could you describe it in further detail or provide a good website to check out? Also, did you take any sort of supplements to help cleanse your liver? Thanks so much.

Lalalindz22, I promise I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I just thought the liver cleanse comment was extremely intriguing! smile.png

No worries!!

MemberMember
(@lalalindz22)

Posted : 03/18/2013 1:47 pm

Just wanted to post an update, that I haven't had milk, and cut out MOST dairy products (still eat a little cheese), and I've already noticed a huge difference in a week. I also started saw palmetto about 5 days ago, and have also noticed my t-zone is less oily.

MemberMember
(@ask24)

Posted : 05/07/2013 8:38 pm

Try drinking Warm whole milk. This will change the protein structure of milk which makes it easier to digest.

Most people drink COLD milk which makes your system sluggish and slow= acne

Try warm milk and tell me if you have better results.

MemberMember
(@cramirez89)

Posted : 01/31/2014 1:02 pm

I didnt completely cut out milk, but I definitely cut back, maybe one or two bowls of cereals a weeks. I think it has helped. As far as sugars, I haven't really noticed a big impact with sugar on my acne. I really don't think you need to go on some crazy detox diet, I've heard those are pretty bad for you in the long run.