Notifications
Clear all

Most Non Scientific Acne Question ?

MemberMember
(@dcrangersfootballclub)

Posted : 03/07/2013 10:27 am

I just fail to understand how eating a certain food can actually cause acne, all you are doing is storing it in your body eating food would have no effect on you sebaceous glands production ?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/07/2013 11:24 am

Uh, you are not just storing it in your body. Your body uses nutrients from the food you eat to do all it's many, many functions. That is, assuming you eat real food that contains nutrients.

It has a huge affect on your sebum- the quantity and the composition. And sebum is only one factor in acne.

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 03/08/2013 2:32 am

At least the title of this thread was correct, lol..

MemberMember
(@dcrangersfootballclub)

Posted : 03/08/2013 6:56 pm

How can eating fries etc cause a spot on your face, your food enters your body and digests then this has nothing to do with you face and there is no scientific proof out there in the world to prove this theory i believe acne is genetic and eating a certain food can't cause a spot to form that sound's ridiculous, hormones cause acne and you can not help your hormones change it is natural.

MemberMember
(@raziel1687)

Posted : 03/08/2013 7:23 pm

The food you eat is made out of many components: proteins, sugars, vitamins, minerals. All these things cause a response in your body. Sugars for example cause an insulin response. Insulin is very interconnected with many other hormones in the body. These other hormones create an inflammatory response, making your skin overreact to bacteria.

How can eating fries etc cause a spot on your face, your food enters your body and digests then this has nothing to do with you face and there is no scientific proof out there in the world to prove this theory i believe acne is genetic and eating a certain food can't cause a spot to form that sound's ridiculous, hormones cause acne and you can not help your hormones change it is natural.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/08/2013 8:23 pm

Eating fries affects every thing going on in your body. Every thing. And yes, there are also genetic tendencies involved as well. And there have been tons of studies demonstrating the effects of nutrients, nutrient deficiencies an post pran dial affects of it on acne. You can find many of them in the pinned clinical studies thread, right ther at the top of this forum.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/09/2013 12:35 am

Don't listen to these people. They have "zero" credentials and do nothing but spread their misinformation about acne based upon what they read online.

Acne has nothing to do with diet, as every REAL doctor, dermatologist, endocrinologist will tell you. It is based entirely around genetics and doesn't come about because you drink a glass of "milk" or eat a "hamburger"; acne comes about because the person has defective pores and is overly sensitive to androgen hormones (through genetics) which overstimulates the sebaceous glands causing acne.

*Moderator edit - Please keep the insults to yourself!*

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 03/09/2013 3:08 am

Don't listen to these people. They have "zero" credentials and do nothing but spread their misinformation about acne based upon what they read online.

Acne has nothing to do with diet, as every REAL doctor, dermatologist, endocrinologist will tell you. It is based entirely around genetics and doesn't come about because you drink a glass of "milk" or eat a "hamburger"; acne comes about because the person has defective pores and is overly sensitive to androgen hormones (through genetics) which overstimulates the sebaceous glands causing acne.

Your post is completely innacurate. Those people post here because they CARE about other people and want to help them in their journey to overcoming acne and regaining their health. If it weren't for them I would be on my 7th round of Accutane still wondering why my "genetics" were so messed up to make me have acne, even worse as an adult. For many people diet has EVERYTHING to do with why they have acne and I am one of those people. We are all INDIVIDUALS and what works for one may not work for another.

By the way, just because someone has a degree does not mean they have all the answers. Open your eyes to how the medical industry is just another corporation trying to sell you pharmaceuticals. Not saying doctor's don't want to help people, but they definitely lack answers especially when it comes to acne. They will tell you diet has no affect on acne because that is what they are taught. But it simply isn't the truth unfortunately.

No, changing your diet doesn't work for every single person with acne. But will it work for many? YES. That is the key thing to understand.

What you eat directly affects almost everything about how you look and feel.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/09/2013 3:59 am

Your post is completely innacurate. Those post here because they CARE about other people and want to help them in their journey to overcoming acne and regaining their health. If it weren't for them I would be on my 7th round of Accutane still wondering why my "genetics" were so messed up to make me have acne, even worse as an adult. For many people diet has EVERYTHING to do with why they have acne and I am one of those people. How dare you tell me and others who are similar something different. We are all INDIVIDUALS and what works for one may not work for another.

By the way, just because someone has a degree does not mean they have all the answers. Open your eyes to how the medical industry is just another corporation trying to sell you pharmaceuticals. Not saying doctor's don't want to help people, but they definitely lack answers especially when it comes to acne. They will tell you diet has no affect on acne because that is what they are taught. But it simply isn't the truth unfortunately.

No, changing your diet doesn't work for every single person with acne. But will it work for many? YES. That is the key thing to understand.

What you eat directly affects almost everything about how you look and feel.

No it actually does not. Diet doesn't make such a tremendous difference on your health as you'd like to think - and I found that the hard way. I ate the healtheist diet my entire life and then four years ago when I was only 20 years old I was diagnosed with a serious "surprise illness" that supposedly a healthy diet was supposed to protect me from, but it didn't. This severely changed my attitude on things and I realized that having the perfect lifestyle and the perfect diet doesn't guarantee protection from illness. Especially Cancer.

I eat healthier than anyone on this damn message board yet it makes no difference on my health or my skin. I have no control over any of these factors all I can do is try and I HAVE. I have done everything.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/09/2013 6:26 am

Plenty of people have proven that diet affects acne, but you just refuse to believe it. You just keep saying the same thing over and over and never listen to the people who keep proving you wrong. We understand diet doesn't clear you. But you can't say it doesn't help anybody. Other people are not you. They can get acne for different reasons than you do.

Try to pay attention. I'm going to prove just one way that diet can affect acne. Here's a peer reviewed article where I got my information. It was written by people who know much more than us, and they are not lying. Here's a quote from the article:

"A high glycemic load diet leads to an increase in insulin and a subsequent increase in free insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), which is known to be involved in the pathogenesis of acne.10 IGF-1 is a hormone that has a structure similar to insulin and is involved in cell growth and proliferation. IGF-1 promotes acne by inducing hyperkeratosis and epidermal hyperplasia, a first step in the follicular plug.11 IGF-1 also stimulates sebaceous gland lipogenesis and androgens which are known to cause an increase in sebum.1213 It appears that IGF-1 and androgens can act synergistically in the pathogenesis of acne."

I'm going to make it really easy for you to understand:

high glycemic load diet > increase in insulin > increase in IGF-1 > increase in sebum and clogged pores > acne

There it is. I proved it yet again, right in front of you. Now I don't want to see you spamming your close-minded "diet has no effect on acne" posts all over the forum anymore, because now you should know better. And just for the record, a lot of doctors say diet has no effect on acne because they are ignorant about it. They were never taught anything about diet. The smart ones know that diet does affect acne.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/09/2013 4:57 pm

Plenty of people have proven that diet affects acne, but you just refuse to believe it. You just keep saying the same thing over and over and never listen to the people who keep proving you wrong. We understand diet doesn't clear you. But you can't say it doesn't help anybody. Other people are not you. They can get acne for different reasons than you do.

Try to pay attention. I'm going to prove just one way that diet can affect acne. Here's a peer reviewed article where I got my information. It was written by people who know much more than us, and they are not lying. Here's a quote from the article:

"A high glycemic load diet leads to an increase in insulin and a subsequent increase in free insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), which is known to be involved in the pathogenesis of acne.10 IGF-1 is a hormone that has a structure similar to insulin and is involved in cell growth and proliferation. IGF-1 promotes acne by inducing hyperkeratosis and epidermal hyperplasia, a first step in the follicular plug.11 IGF-1 also stimulates sebaceous gland lipogenesis and androgens which are known to cause an increase in sebum.1213 It appears that IGF-1 and androgens can act synergistically in the pathogenesis of acne."

I'm going to make it really easy for you to understand:

high glycemic load diet > increase in insulin > increase in IGF-1 > increase in sebum and clogged pores > acne

There it is. I proved it yet again, right in front of you. Now I don't want to see you spamming your close-minded "diet has no effect on acne" posts all over the forum anymore, because now you should know better. And just for the record, a lot of doctors say diet has no effect on acne because they are ignorant about it. They were never taught anything about diet. The smart ones know that diet does affect acne.

There are educated enough through countless respectable studies to realize that diet plays no roll in acne development. Just like there is no scientific link between autism and gluten - but the ignorant health nuts keep perpetuating that there *is* regardless of every study proving them WRONG. The same goes for acne.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 03/09/2013 6:04 pm

I am an immunologist. Diet affects acne.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/09/2013 10:23 pm

There are educated enough through countless respectable studies to realize that diet plays no roll in acne development. Just like there is no scientific link between autism and gluten - but the ignorant health nuts keep perpetuating that there *is* regardless of every study proving them WRONG. The same goes for acne.

I haven't seen you post one study that says diet doesn't affect acne. All you do is keep ignoring all the evidence against you for some reason, and never provide any evidence to support your ridiculous claim. Acting that way is extremely counter-productive. Can you just tell me one thing? Why did you ignore all the evidence in my previous post? Why do you think the authors of that study are wrong? Do you think they are stupid? Do you think they are lying?

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 03/11/2013 7:23 am

Unfortunately it's you who is both dogmatic and demonstrably wrong. There has NEVER been any good quality scientific evidence that diet does NOT affect acne. The myth was born from a few very sloppy studies in the 60s and 70s. Studies that even your high school science teacher would fail you today.
Unfortunately, and I still can't understand why, those very bad quality studies were enough to persuade dermatologists that diet has no effect on acne. And most have not changed their stance despite the fact that several far more conclusive studies have shown a connection between diet and acne.
Pretty much every scientific review paper on acne mentions diet. It's true that we still need to know much more about diet and how it affects acne, but it's been shown to affect acne.
I do agree with you that people tend to put too much faith into diet. And the natural health industry is especially bad at blaming diet for diseases it has no effect on (such as autism).
I get your frustration. I also used to think that in order to get clear I just have to eat healthier. That's almost NEVER the answer though. I mostly get acne now after eating foods that irritate my gut, like onions and apples (I suspect I have fructose intolerance), but I can binge at McD and never see a pimple on my face.
But just because somebody has given you bad advice before doesn't mean diet has no effect on acne. It just means you've followed bad advice before.
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/11/2013 8:49 am

Unfortunately it's you who is both dogmatic and demonstrably wrong. There has NEVER been any good quality scientific evidence that diet does NOT affect acne. The myth was born from a few very sloppy studies in the 60s and 70s. Studies that even your high school science teacher would fail you today.

Unfortunately, and I still can't understand why, those very bad quality studies were enough to persuade dermatologists that diet has no effect on acne. And most have not changed their stance despite the fact that several far more conclusive studies have shown a connection between diet and acne.

Pretty much every scientific review paper on acne mentions diet. It's true that we still need to know much more about diet and how it affects acne, but it's been shown beyond to affect acne.

Yes. It's not only so insane to believe that diet doesn't affect acne that it would make me question whether I could trust anything else the doctors tells me, it's a sign of incompetence to not keep up with all the research and papers, much of which is not all that new. We read them. Why don't they? They are published in their trade journals.

And there are many real doctors that will tell you the truth about diet and acne, but the average one won't. And most of us don't have access to those few good doctors. Such as the creator of the south beach diet who is a very important, respected cardiologist and creator of many of the interventions and treatments for heart disease. And Dr. Oz, another cardiologist. And a handful of prominent dermatologists. And hundreds of University researchers.

-------------------

I just fail to understand how eating a certain food can actually cause acne, all you are doing is storing it in your body eating food would have no effect on you sebaceous glands production ?

Let me get this straight. You believe you have fried potatoes stored somewhere in your body? That's how you think your body works?

MemberMember
(@dcrangersfootballclub)

Posted : 03/11/2013 6:29 pm

SO PLEASE TELL ME THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE HAS CLEAR SKIN EATS HORRIBLE DIET OTHER HAS BAD SKIN EATS HEALTHY DIET

POINT PROVING

i agree with you

alexisc

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/11/2013 9:53 pm

POINT PROVING

i agree with you alexisc

Genetic tendencies, of course. But that's only part of it and doesn't mean you can't control your acne. Only about 40% of smokers get cancer. Many people can smoke their whole life and not get it. But that doesn't mean smoking isn't a huge factor in developing cancer.

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 03/11/2013 10:53 pm

POINT PROVING

i agree with you

alexisc

The only thing this proves is fallacious logic. Diet for acne is less about eating healthy and more about avoiding your specific trigger foods. Of course it helps if you avoid high GI carbs and dairy products, but there's rarely the need to get into extremely healthy diets.
As I mentioned, I can go on a McD binge and probably not see a pimple on my face until a few weeks later. But [cencored] help me if I eat an onion, apple or some other 'healthy' foods I know will trigger a breakout for me. 1/2 an onion and 2 days later my scalp breaks out in horribly painful pimples.
So I can eat unhealthy and have clear skin or 'eat healthy' and have horrrible acne. But this doens't mean diet wouldn't affect my skin.
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/12/2013 7:46 am

POINT PROVING

i agree with you alexisc

The only thing this proves is fallacious logic. Diet for acne is less about eating healthy and more about avoiding your specific trigger foods. Of course it helps if you avoid high GI carbs and dairy products, but there's rarely the need to get into extremely healthy diets.

As I mentioned, I can go on a McD binge and probably not see a pimple on my face until a few weeks later. But [cencored] help me if I eat an onion, apple or some other 'healthy' foods I know will trigger a breakout for me. 1/2 an onion and 2 days later my scalp breaks out in horribly painful pimples.

So I can eat unhealthy and have clear skin or 'eat healthy' and have horrrible acne. But this doens't mean diet wouldn't affect my skin.

I could do that to, but not daily or frequently. It's the day in, day out high glycemic nutritionally void, stressful, sedentary, poor sleep habits that lead to acne. What I think is true acne with the oily skin, hyper keratinization and impaired desquamation that takes weeks to form . I dont think Reactions to a food or topical that result in a pimple within a day or two of exposure is really acne. Although some intolerances instead cause the sub clinical chronic inflammation that affects true acne.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/12/2013 8:27 pm

I think the people that experience "clearing" when they avoid dairy or gluten or simply stop eating fast food do so because their insulin stabilizes and is no longer able to stimulate androgen activity truthfully. it's not because they're truly intolerant to the food or that food in particular loads the acne gun.

Diet has never benefited or worsened my acne because I'm simply androgen sensitive. But I did have a friend in highschool with classic PCOS and terrible cystic acne on her face and back. Anyway, she opted for a vegetarian diet and ended up losing nearly 100 pounds within a year or so and her PCOS symptoms mitigated once she reached a normal BMI and her cystic acne was non existent. I remember her skin looking flawless and being so jealous of her. She had obviously stabilized her insulin naturally through the diet and subsequent weightloss which lead to a reduction in androgens which eliminated the cystic acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/12/2013 9:02 pm

I think the people that experience "clearing" when they avoid dairy or gluten or simply stop eating fast food do so because their insulin stabilizes and is no longer able to stimulate androgen activity truthfully. it's not because they're truly intolerant to the food or that food in particular loads the acne gun.

Of course. Because that is one of the many ways that diet affects acne. But insulin doesn't just stimulate androgens. It stimulates IGF1 which is a huge factor in hyperkeratinization (and is in dairy) and causes chronic inflammation which is the real root of acne and many other health conditions. (And it's not just what you think. It's fact. Studied over and over, published in many peer reviewed dermatology trade journals that your dermatologist apparently doesnt bother to read.)

And then there's food intolerances. Which also cause chronic subclinical inflammation. And may also directly cause a pimple to form. You can have both these things going on in your body. And there's many more ways diet affects acne that have also been studied studied, published, accepted facts

I know, I know. I keep saying don't feed the troll. Don't feed the troll. It's pointless to explain things to some people. But it's like trying not to pick a scab.

No it actually does not. Diet doesn't make such a tremendous difference on your health as you'd like to think - and I found that the hard way. I ate the healtheist diet my entire life and then four years ago when I was only 20 years old I was diagnosed with a serious "surprise illness" that supposedly a healthy diet was supposed to protect me from, but it didn't. This severely changed my attitude on things and I realized that having the perfect lifestyle and the perfect diet doesn't guarantee protection from illness. Especially Cancer.

OMG!!, Of course it isn't a guarantee. But you cant honestly believe that diet doesn't have a huge impact on your health? How do you think your body functions?

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/12/2013 10:43 pm

Of course. Because that is one of the many ways that diet affects acne. But insulin doesn't just stimulate androgens. It stimulates IGF1 which is a huge factor in hyperkeratinization (and is in dairy) and causes chronic inflammation which is the real root of acne and many other health conditions. (And it's not just what you think. It's fact. Studied over and over, published in many peer reviewed dermatology trade journals that your dermatologist apparently doesnt bother to read.)

And then there's food intolerances. Which also cause chronic subclinical inflammation. And may also directly cause a pimple to form. You can have both these things going on in your body. And there's many more ways diet affects acne that have also been studied studied, published, accepted facts

I know, I know. I keep saying don't feed the troll. Don't feed the troll. It's pointless to explain things to some people. But it's like trying not to pick a scab.

>

OMG!!, Of course it isn't a guarantee. But you cant honestly believe that diet doesn't have a huge impact on your health? How do you think your body functions?

Some ignorant people believe that eating a vegan diet will make you immune from developing Cancer and other diseases. I'm just telling them it definitely doesn't guarantee you won't get sick. And eating healthy is meant to "Inspire" good health and it can, but that doesn't mean the person will be totally healthy just because thy eat totally healthy (do you follow me?).

My mother for example eats very healthy, lots of fruit and vegetables, low fat - but she still can't get her blood pressure down and is constantly experiencing autoimmune issues.