Notifications
Clear all

Study: Poor Sleep Quality Increases Inflammation

MemberMember
(@chocobot)

Posted : 03/06/2013 10:41 pm

Individuals who reported six or fewer hours of sleep had higher levels of three inflammatory markers: fibrinogen, IL-6 and C-reactive protein. In particular, average C-reactive protein levels were about 25 percent higher (2 milligrams per liter compared to 1.6) in people who reported fewer than six hours of sleep, compared to those reporting between six and nine hours.

That difference was still significant even when the data is corrected for known risk factors such as smoking, blood pressure, diabetes and obesity, Morris says.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2010-11-poor-quality-inflammation.html#jCp

They don't mention the impact on acne, but it can be assumed there is a link too. Lacking sleep has always led to breakouts for me.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/06/2013 11:33 pm

I am pretty sure lack of sleep causes acne.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/07/2013 1:39 am

Interesting. Never thought there would be a connection between acne and lack of sleep. Come to think of it though, I usually don't get enough sleep when I'm stressed out.

MemberMember
(@berserk)

Posted : 03/07/2013 1:17 pm

its funny, my face is less oily when i dont get enough sleep and if i take a nap during the day for a couple of hours i get really oily and dehydrated, cant figure out why

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/09/2013 11:11 am

Interesting. Never thought there would be a connection between acne and lack of sleep. Come to think of it though, I usually don't get enough sleep when I'm stressed out.

There a connection between sleep and everything going on in your body. You need to sleep well, at night, in the dark. And get up out into the bright light in the daytime.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/09/2013 11:55 am

Sleeping in the dark really helps. I've been turning off our living room light (that shines down the hall through the cracks in the door into the bedroom) as well as unplugging my computer to make the lil blue battery light go off. I used to always sleep with some lights on in the room just because it was more comfortable to get up and pee during the night and what not. But since making it very dark, I've noticed I've been having much more vivid dreams--which must mean deeper sleep.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 03/09/2013 1:26 pm

I notice that I ALWAYS struggle to sleep at the weekends before work. I don't know if this is a subconscious thing of worrying getting up in the morning since I work at 6am or not. But anyway, I seriously don't get to sleep until 12.30/1am sometimes even 2am and this is BEFORE work. I get up at 5am for work usually. It seriously depresses me since I keep thinking it makes my skin look worse. Through the week I am fine and get on average about 7.5-9.5 hours sleep.

Also I notice I crave more sugar when I have not had enough sleep, like I make pretty bad food choices :/

I would love to just not have these episodes at the weekend, I do take Spiro and an anti depressant but even before taking these my heart would race constantly before a shift and it happens - I just can't fall over to sleep.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:48 pm

Sleeping in the dark really helps. I've been turning off our living room light (that shines down the hall through the cracks in the door into the bedroom) as well as unplugging my computer to make the lil blue battery light go off. I used to always sleep with some lights on in the room just because it was more comfortable to get up and pee during the night and what not. But since making it very dark, I've noticed I've been having much more vivid dreams--which must mean deeper sleep.

I have vivid dreams all the time... but feel sleep deprived

MemberMember
(@chocobot)

Posted : 03/11/2013 9:52 pm

Now the sun rises earlier and sets later, so I probably have to adjust and go to bed earlier.

Sleeping in the day is never good for my skin, as someone else stated, when waking up it feels like you would if you hadn't slept at all during the night.

I think it's important to go to bed early (1030) and wake up early (7am or so).

MemberMember
(@claire1205)

Posted : 03/16/2013 7:48 pm

They don't call it beauty sleep for nothing. Try and get at least 8 hours of sleep