Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Developed A 'cleaning Ocd'?

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 03/06/2013 5:13 pm

So basically since in the last year or two, since I've moved to uni and become more independent, I feel like I've developed some kind of OCD because of my acne.

What I mean is, i'm becoming obsessive about hygeine and cleanliness about a lot of things.

I have a separate towel for my face than my body. I don't like using other peoples cups and glasses, I have my own. I carry handgel with me all the time (I'm a guy btw, yeh not very manly is it). Several things like this which I just cannot stop doing in my life for fear of anything that might make my acne worse.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or do you do things differently in your life because of acne?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 03/06/2013 11:55 pm

I can totally relate to what you are saying. I had to rearrange my life due to my acne. I even stopped wiping my face on towels - I just let it air dry because I'm paranoid about the towel touching my face. I hardly sleep on my pillow at night, I just lay my head at the edge of the pillow because I don't like anything touching my face. I wash my face with spring water, and pour it in a glass, which makes a mess around my sink. I compulsively wash my hands...and the list goes on. At this point, I can't even have a relationship because my daily routine revolves around my acne regimen. ermm.gif

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 03/07/2013 1:14 am

Me too my problem is with my hands I always think they are dirty I could say I wash at least 20 times a day.

Is also making my hands really dry although I put lotion but the look red and they burn.

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 03/07/2013 10:50 am

Glad I'm not the only one here with this kinda problem.

Wishclean I'm exactly the same with the pillow thing too, I hate it. And because of my acne I'm changing and washing my pillowcases and towels like every week, another obsessive thing I've adopted.

The relationship problem is the story of my life. I've never actually had a serious relationship and i'm 22. Mainly because of the fact that i feel like I have to turn down so many offers of social events because I don't want to be seen out. Life's just great right now...

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 03/08/2013 8:07 am

To add to my post before. I think this is the worst 'OCD' thing I have developed -

I feel as if I ALWAYS have to have something on my face treating it. I've currently got a big red mark near my mouth which I'm desperately trying to lighten. And I can't just put something on it, walk away and leave it. I have to be in my room all the time so that I can keep applying lemon juice, or moisturiser or something. If I'm at home and I can, it's literally every fucking half hour or something, and I can't stop doing it.

Has this kind of thing affected any of you guys?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/09/2013 11:50 am

Glad I'm not the only one here with this kinda problem.

Wishclean I'm exactly the same with the pillow thing too, I hate it. And because of my acne I'm changing and washing my pillowcases and towels like every week, another obsessive thing I've adopted.

The relationship problem is the story of my life. I've never actually had a serious relationship and i'm 22. Mainly because of the fact that i feel like I have to turn down so many offers of social events because I don't want to be seen out. Life's just great right now...

Uhhh... washing your pillowcases and towels every WEEK is not obsessive. I think most people wash them that often if not more. I change our bathroom towels twice per week wash the sheets in hot water/borax once per week. It would be extremely gross not to wash them at least once a week!

MemberMember
(@emitawolff)

Posted : 03/12/2013 9:23 am

Hi Aka !

I can really relate .. I have exactly the same OCD-"rituals" as you - my hands are so dry and cracked, they look like an old ladys .. wacko.png

The last OCD thing you have developed is almost identical to what I am going trough ..Some days I constantly look in the mirror, and it makes me anxious if I dont do it, as well as it makes me anxious doing it .. I have problems leaving the house, I am afraid that when I come home, new acne has formed. I have to keep it "in check", even though I know it is irrational and ridicolous.

On the good days, I make a schedule about what I want to do during the day, which is not skin-related. I HAVE to shop, I have to call my friend, I want to watch a program or a movie, read a book, have a coffee date with a good friend. The more you plan, the more obligated you will hopefully feel about doing non-skin related stuff .. Make a compromise with yourself ... you are allowed to look in the mirror and apply things every other hour, then every third hour, and so on.

Try to think positive things and focuse on other awesome qualities about your personality. As a bonus, from my own experience, your stress levels about it will go down = better looking skin. Dont upset it to much, applying all sorts of stuff. If you overdo it, it will get worse.

I know it is really really hard, but if you work with coping-stragegies it will get better!

Sometimes I like to talk to someone who is completely rational about it, for instance my sister. She calmes me down by saying things like "if not changing your pillowcase every other day caused acne, 99% of all people would have acne"

Best of luck to you !

remember that you are not alone!

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/13/2013 12:01 am

At one point yes. For a very short time last year I got a little OCD about cleaning do to acne. I started ripping off the sheets on my bed every single day, spraying the mattress and pillows with Lysol and then changing them daily. I'd also obsessively clean my bathtub with bleach and shower daily as well (and sometimes twice). I was also afraid to use lipgloss or mascara because of bacteria and I started throwing away most of my makeup that I percived as "contaminated". Luckily I got over this.

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 03/13/2013 12:38 pm

Definitely lucky. That sounds pretty intense, I'm glad you've over come it :)

EmitaWolff - do you always wash/clean your hands with soap all the time? Because what I use is a hand gel with aloe vera, so it doesn't dry my hands out. and it makes them feel really fresh. Maybe you should try this if you don't already :)

And thank you for your kind words, it#s always nice to hear kind and encouraging words like that!

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/13/2013 1:42 pm

There is always one question that ends this all: "Does it work for you?"

MemberMember
(@emitawolff)

Posted : 03/16/2013 9:13 am

Definitely lucky. That sounds pretty intense, I'm glad you've over come it smile.png

EmitaWolff - do you always wash/clean your hands with soap all the time? Because what I use is a hand gel with aloe vera, so it doesn't dry my hands out. and it makes them feel really fresh. Maybe you should try this if you don't already smile.png

And thank you for your kind words, it#s always nice to hear kind and encouraging words like that!

I think that is a great tip - I currently use regular soap yes :( Is it an antiseptic gel with aloe?

Also, I am afraid of moisturizers/handcream containing oil and perfume to use for my hands .. Do you use anything good ?

You are welcome. It is really good that you realize that it is an OCD-thing, first important step.

How are you doing about it, btw?

(sorry if my english is not flawless, I'm from Denmark ) :)

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 03/16/2013 11:27 am

Hey, yeah it's antibacterial gel that I use.

I don't usually use anything for my hands (I'm a guy so I'm not too bothered if they become dry ) But there is handcreams you can buy that are enriched with vitamin e / aloe vera / chamomile. I think these are the best for dry hands, it's what my mum uses anyway :)

I think I'm doing well now I think. I mean, my skin is looking much better and I'm feeling more confident since this week. But the things like always cleaning my hands and making sure things don't touch my face etc will not stop for a while even if my skin is looking better. But yeah I'm feeling good about it now :)

how about your situation? (your english is brilliant by the way, dont worry! )