Notifications
Clear all

Sugar = Acne, Help Me Manage It

MemberMember
(@username22)

Posted : 03/05/2013 11:38 pm

Long story short, I think the biggest trigger for me is high GI foods. Is there any reason to this? Thinking something like candida or even diabetes...

What can I do to limit the harm done when I do have to eat high GI foods (drinks at a bar, having to eat whatever when visiting friends, etc)? I've heard of drinking lemon juice just before consuming sugar helps, but I Googled it and apparently it's a myth. Maybe more fiber? Anything else along these lines? Currently taking 3g cinnamon a day to regulate blood sugar, can't say that I've noticed a difference.

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 03/06/2013 9:01 am

Lemon juice is sugar, that's some interesting advice. Pretty low in sugar compared to a soda but any sugar at all will generate more cravings.

If those are the only occasions you eat sugar you'll be fine, not even worth worrying about. Don't use it as an excuse to have more sugar.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/06/2013 5:48 pm

Vinegar (acetic acid) such as in a vinaigrette on salad before the meal helps. You can carry fiber capsules with you to take before eating. And drink low sugar drinks like vodka, soda, lime. Or seltzer.

MemberMember
(@username22)

Posted : 03/06/2013 6:01 pm

thanks, i'll look into those

MemberMember
(@clayjar)

Posted : 03/13/2013 11:04 pm

Research Chromium GTF...

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 04/02/2013 4:42 pm

Long story short, I think the biggest trigger for me is high GI foods. Is there any reason to this? Thinking something like candida or even diabetes...

What can I do to limit the harm done when I do have to eat high GI foods (drinks at a bar, having to eat whatever when visiting friends, etc)? I've heard of drinking lemon juice just before consuming sugar helps, but I Googled it and apparently it's a myth. Maybe more fiber? Anything else along these lines? Currently taking 3g cinnamon a day to regulate blood sugar, can't say that I've noticed a difference.

I have the same problem. Here's what I do:

• Eat fruits and other high GI foods with fat and protein. It makes a HUGE difference. For example, I'd eat sweet potato with coconut oil and a small piece of chicken or I'd have a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • Consume a gram of cinnamon spice (not the manufactured supplement - just the normal all natural spice you'll find in the kitchen) after each meal. This helps a lot.
  • Supplement with minerals (give chromium, magnesium, and/or zinc a shot).
  • Fast for 15 or more hours a day.

And also, just say no to refined sugar. I don't make any concessions - don't care if its my 80 year old grandmother's birthday cake - I just say no. Why? I have a health condition. End of story.

MemberMember
(@username22)

Posted : 04/02/2013 4:52 pm

I have the same problem. Here's what I do:

• Eat fruits and other high GI foods with fat and protein. It makes a HUGE difference. For example, I'd eat sweet potato with coconut oil and a small piece of chicken or I'd have a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • Consume a gram of cinnamon spice (not the manufactured supplement - just the normal all natural spice you'll find in the kitchen) after each meal. This helps a lot.
  • Supplement with minerals (give chromium, magnesium, and/or zinc a shot).
  • Fast for 15 or more hours a day.

And also, just say no to refined sugar. I don't make any concessions - don't care if its my 80 year old grandmother's birthday cake - I just say no. Why? I have a health condition. End of story.

i've never purposely mixed high GI foods with fat/protein before, but i'll try to make a habit of it (i did notice that sweet potatoes w/ cinnamon brown sugar butter didn't affect me....)

you eat a gram of powdered cinnamon after every meal? i'm taking 3 g/day in capsule form (with chromium), i couldn't imagine trying to get down cinnamon powder though....

yep, currently doing IF, but for fat loss and not acne. although i'll take anything i can get

+1000 to the last point. had some cheesecake after easter dinner at my grandmother's - regretting it now. going 100% no processed sugar no matter what now

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 04/02/2013 5:09 pm

Eating cinnamon is far from unpleasant; I hardly even taste it. I just put some on my tongue and quickly drink water.

Good luck with your acne and fat loss and keep us updated.