Notifications
Clear all

Horrible Initial Breakout!

MemberMember
(@hulaninja)

Posted : 03/05/2013 3:13 pm

My son is 15 years old and has had acne in some form or another since he was 10 years old. He's a high school basketball and volleyball player and is almost 6 feet tall. He's been a HUGE milk drinker since he was a year old which I feel may have contributed to his acne development - for the first 13 years of his life I had him on skim milk then recently realized that skim is actually WORSE for you than WHOLE milk. I guess they have to add so many fillers to make it "skim" - we've talked about cutting out dairy for him, but he loves milk and really helped with his height and bone strength. His Dad has terrible, terrible acne problems even at almost 50 years old so heredity does play a part in it.

His acne started normal enough, but then he started getting cystic acne all over his forehead. It seriously started looking like the Colorado Rockies up in there. And cystic acne is below the skin so it just looked like he had lumps all over his face, it was awful. He's been on every topical and oral antibiotic out there so Accutane has been our last resort. As a totally type-A Mom, I researched this medication sideways and backwards. His biggest concern is the possibility of stunting his growth - premature epiphyseal closure of his bones. But he's almost 6 feet tall and decided that getting rid of his acne was more important.

So far he is on his 18 day of Accutane and I can tell you this - within the first 7 days, his face looked like a NUCLEAR explosion. If you think you're depressed now? Brace yourself for the initial breakout! If you're about to take Accutane and already have really bad skin, ask your doctor if they can put you on an antibiotic (I've also heard Prednisone works) at the start of Accutane to limit the initial breakout. Remember that the purpose of this medication is to stop your glands from producing oil so the oil that's already beneath the skin is going to be pushed to the surface - which means Hiroshima will erupt. All over your face.

He almost wanted to give up, but I kept telling him to hold on, be patient and had him read all these great blogs on here. One thing you will constantly hear is DON'T GIVE UP. Today is his 18th day on the medication and I can honestly say he is slowly starting to clear up. The huge pimple that appeared on his nose last week is finally going down - that thing had like 3 pimples combined into one. When it popped by itself one morning, I told him to squeeze it just a little to get all the white stuff out and it shot out across the room like a cannon. LOL, gross, but you know EXACTLY what I mean. The rocky mountain cysts on his forehead are all much , much smaller and the white, crusty small pus filled acne that popped up are all gone. So basically, if you're one of the few that experience the initial breakout, BRACE YOURSELF for the worst eruption ever. Start taking Accutane during a time where you can "hide out" if needed or at least not have many things to do outside of the house (yeah, umm what about school???). But just know that it will get better!

What he's experiencing now is the dreaded, much talked about dryness. His arms have small tiny rashes which is actually eczema, but he puts lotion on when it bothers him and that helps. And his lips? They keep talking about chapped lips right? OMG, chapped isn't even the right word. How about, so dry that it looks like he's been stuck in the desert with no water for 3 months? But Aquaphor for the lips has really helped him. Forget Chapstick, that stuff is too weak for this action. He is also having really bad back pains - he's always had issues with his back, but they're definitely magnified now. So if you typically get joint pain, it will probably get worse.

So it looks like he is turning the corner on his treatment and the roughest days are behind us. Know that you will get moody and depressed - you have to be prepared for this and recognize it when it happens. Confide in your parents, siblings or good friends to help get you through those moments. It is rough, believe me. As a Mom, I hate to see him suffer through all this, but I'm hanging on for the results at the end!

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/05/2013 5:14 pm

Well I actually came across a statistic somewhere that only about 25% of patients on accutane experience an initial breakout. I, unluckily, am right there with your son and DEFINITELY got an IB, the worst acne I've had my whole life. I've only really had mild to moderate acne. I'm on Day 8 right now and I think it's starting to SLOWLY get better, but yeah I'm stickin with it.

MemberMember
(@cheezycakes)

Posted : 03/05/2013 6:11 pm

Really hate to hear this, but I'm glad he looks like he's turned the corner. It's better to deal with it at 15 than 25, believe me.

MemberMember
(@tommyc38)

Posted : 03/05/2013 9:39 pm

Man that sucks! I'm 30 and had to deal with that back in October/November ....it was SO awful to look in the mirror. I was SO angry and bitter but hung in there and now have great skin. You can read all about it in my log. Let him know that it will get better. I think it's great you are helping him and wish my mon would have been more proactive when I had it really bad in high school. Oh well, that's all history and I'm looking forward to a hopefully clear future (knock on wood). Just picked up my last Rx the other day and will finish around tge 12th of April. Can't wait...having these side effects gets really REALLY old. That said, I would much rather have these side effects than have acne!!! I'm sure 4 months from now you will be amazed at how clear he is!

MemberMember
(@hulaninja)

Posted : 03/05/2013 10:32 pm

Well I actually came across a statistic somewhere that only about 25% of patients on accutane experience an initial breakout. I, unluckily, am right there with your son and DEFINITELY got an IB, the worst acne I've had my whole life. I've only really had mild to moderate acne. I'm on Day 8 right now and I think it's starting to SLOWLY get better, but yeah I'm stickin with it.

Tyrean - it's only beginning, but seriously, hang in there. They will get freakishly worse, pus everywhere and it will feel like everything is coming to the surface. Then all of a sudden they slowly start to go away.....

Man that sucks! I'm 30 and had to deal with that back in October/November ....it was SO awful to look in the mirror. I was SO angry and bitter but hung in there and now have great skin. You can read all about it in my log. Let him know that it will get better. I think it's great you are helping him and wish my mon would have been more proactive when I had it really bad in high school. Oh well, that's all history and I'm looking forward to a hopefully clear future (knock on wood). Just picked up my last Rx the other day and will finish around tge 12th of April. Can't wait...having these side effects gets really REALLY old. That said, I would much rather have these side effects than have acne!!! I'm sure 4 months from now you will be amazed at how clear he is!

Thank you Tommyc38! I always wonder if I'm doing the right thing by getting him on this medication, but I hate to see him suffer through acne. It affects him so much and he's a very social kid with a lot of friends - however, I can see him slowly starting to get more introverted as the acne got worse. The good thing about you doing this at 30 is I've heard that the older you do it, the less likely it will return. Happy for you!

MemberMember
(@tracy1971)

Posted : 03/06/2013 10:40 am

Just to encourage others, I started almost 8 weeks ago and I had no initial breakout. I hate this for those of you who had to deal with this. it was my biggest concern by far.

MemberMember
(@hulaninja)

Posted : 03/06/2013 3:35 pm

Just to encourage others, I started almost 8 weeks ago and I had no initial breakout. I hate this for those of you who had to deal with this. it was my biggest concern by far.

Tracy1971 - you are sooo lucky! We were not really prepared for how bad the initial breakout was and just so glad it's over.

MemberMember
(@kimmy077)

Posted : 06/02/2014 8:02 am

Glad he is seeing some progress! I'm on day 7 and yesterday I started the IB and ahhhhh I'm so nervous as to just how many pimples I will get coming through my skin!

MemberMember
(@lastcenturion)

Posted : 06/05/2014 10:14 am

can't believe only 25% get the dreaded IB! i thought i read that somewhere and was positively thinking it was really overhyped and wasn't going to happen to me...than BAM. it did. it happened. my face cleared up after a little while though and whilst i'm left with a lot of scarring, i've been clear for ages now :)