Notifications
Clear all

Sports, Sweat, And Acne?

MemberMember
(@neve)

Posted : 03/05/2013 9:29 am

With getting back into the gym, I have began to break out more than usual on my forehead. I believe it is a result of sweating while I workout and not being able to remove the sweat for 45 min. - 1 hr. after training. Are there any suggestions on what the best way to approach this problem is!?!?

Thanks,

Neve

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 03/05/2013 11:36 am

I'd be interested in any answers here too.

I've always played sport for as long as I can remember, and I regularly go to the gym for the last 3-4 years (22 now). What always worries me is when people say you should always wash straight after exercise, but on the other hand people tell you not to wash your face too regularly. Washing in the morning, at night, and then if I've been to the gym in the afternoon that's another time. I never know what to do!

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 03/05/2013 1:47 pm

ive always found my skin looks better after ive been sweating. for the last 3 weeks ive had to wait 2-3 hours after exercise before i shower because of building work on my house and ive seen no change in my acne. which is weird because for years i was always so stressed that i had to wash my face immediately after exercise

MemberMember
(@leroy123)

Posted : 03/05/2013 7:50 pm

It's pretty simple, really. Sweating at the gym is good because it can clear the impurities from your pores. When you're exercising your pores are open and the sweat is pouring out, but as you cool down those pores close up. When those pores close with all of that nasty oily sweat on your face it can definitely clog them up and cause acne. Don't forget also that if you're working out in a gym there is bacteria, dust, and who knows what else floating around in the air which can also get in your pores. The simple solution is to bring a face wash into the gym with you and wash your face in the bathroom/locker room immediately after. Wash with cold water to cool down your face while clearing out your pores. I know it may be a pain to carry along a face wash and it may look weird when you're washing your face at the sink in the locker room but if it prevents pimples, who really cares?

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 03/08/2013 4:08 am

It's pretty simple, really. Sweating at the gym is good because it can clear the impurities from your pores. When you're exercising your pores are open and the sweat is pouring out, but as you cool down those pores close up. When those pores close with all of that nasty oily sweat on your face it can definitely clog them up and cause acne. Don't forget also that if you're working out in a gym there is bacteria, dust, and who knows what else floating around in the air which can also get in your pores. The simple solution is to bring a face wash into the gym with you and wash your face in the bathroom/locker room immediately after. Wash with cold water to cool down your face while clearing out your pores. I know it may be a pain to carry along a face wash and it may look weird when you're washing your face at the sink in the locker room but if it prevents pimples, who really cares?

Pores (sweat glands) and follicles (that house sebaceous glands) are separate, so this wouldn't happen. Also since when is sweat oily?

I find sweating can contribute to acne a bit, but not a lot, & just a rinse with some tap water should be good enough to wash it away.

If you search google scholar there is a small & slightly rubbish but well-described study of the effect of sweat on acne. It tested 3 groups, one of which did not excersise at all, one that did and washed right away, and one that did not wash. It found a slight increase in acne in those that did not wash right away.

MemberMember
(@leroy123)

Posted : 03/11/2013 8:55 pm

Pores (sweat glands) and follicles (that house sebaceous glands) are separate, so this wouldn't happen. Also since when is sweat oily?

I find sweating can contribute to acne a bit, but not a lot, & just a rinse with some tap water should be good enough to wash it away.

If you search google scholar there is a small & slightly rubbish but well-described study of the effect of sweat on acne. It tested 3 groups, one of which did not excersise at all, one that did and washed right away, and one that did not wash. It found a slight increase in acne in those that did not wash right away.

I explained it exactly how my dermatologist explained it to me. I trust the opinion of a professional far more than somebody over the internet, no offense. And not washing immediately after the gym led to many breakouts on my forehead for me, which is a place where I NEVER get acne. Now that I wash after workouts, my forehead is completely clear.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 03/12/2013 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with there.

The glands are separate- that's just a fact. I'm sure your Dermatologist is aware of this. I didn't dispute that washing can contribute to acne, and infact pointed the OP in the direction of some useful information.