Benzoyl Peroxide Se...

Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide Seems Too Harsh

MemberMember
(@jlandin1986)

Posted : 03/05/2013 12:51 am

I hope I am posting this in an okay location. I'm 26 years old and have noticed my acne and face has changed from oily to combination. I've recently (within the past 3-4 weeks) changed my skin care regimin to something more gentle. I was using St. Ives Sensitive Scrub but have come to the conclusion that it was exacerbating my acne. So I have switched to using Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser day and night. After I cleanse, I use Dickinson's Witch Hazel Toner. Using these two products together, my skin feels fine. Does not feel over dried so I believe these are good products for me. But it's come to the benzoyl peroxide that is causing me some grief.

When I was younger, I always used 10%. My BP of choice was Walmart's brand, Equate, version of Oxy. I can't remember it ever burning my face. I used the Equate BP on my face last night (all over) and it didn't start burning until I put my moisturizer on. I'm using up my Yes To Cucumbers Soothing Moisturizer. It wasn't as bad of a burn that would cause me to clean and start over, so I left it as is and went to sleep.

This morning, I cleansed as usual, toned, and then applied AcneFree 10% BP (hoping it would be gentler) all over my face. It did not start burning until I put my moisturizer on. I am using Yes to Carrots SPF 15 Facial Moisturizer. This burning did not last as long as the previous night's burning and subsided in about a few hours. However, toward the end of the day, my face was VERY dry and uncomfortable.

Tonight, I cleansed as usual, toned, and then applied AcneFree 5% BP (hoping maybe I need to step it down a notch) all over my face. It felt find going on, I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then applied my cucumber nightly moisturizer. That's when it started burning. This burning is not as bad as the previous nights, so I'm letting it go.

I have also purchased Neutrogena's 2.5% BP just in case I need to step it down another notch. I want to keep using BP. I'm noticing a huge improvement in my blemishes. I'm still getting them occasionally, but they are much smaller and go away much quicker. My mom has also made a comment on my face being much clearer than the last time I visited.

Could this just be a case of applying the BP once a day, at night? A few things I'm considering trying...

1. Only use the 5% BP once a day, at night, all over face. If this does not help, I will consider...

2. Only use the 2.5% BP once a day, at night, all over face. If this does not help, I will consider...

3. Only use the 5% BP as a spot treatment on existing acne. If this does not help, I will consider...

4. Only use the 2.5% BP as a spot treatment on existing acne. If this does not help, I will consider...

5. Only using either 5% or 2.5% every other day on full face.

The dryness I'm experiencing I am trying to combat with different moisturizers. But I am tired of spending so much money on stuff that isn't working. These moisturizers worked fine... it's only when I started using BP regularly and mostly on all of my face that I get this uncomfortable burning senstation and even drier skin.

On a side note, I recently had a huge nodule acne on my chin. I have NEVER gotten those before. I spot applied 10% BP day and night (only spot treatment), and it was gone in 2-3 days. Should I consider only using BP as a spot treatment? The only areas that are burning on my face after applying my moisturizer is next to my eyes near the outer corners, my cheeks, and the area near the outer edges of my mouth.

I want this burning sensation to go away. It only comes when I apply my moisturizer... Should I be concerned? Or should I stick with my regimin and maybe just bump it down to 2.5% instead of 5%? My cleanser and toner are NOT the issue here. I think the BP might be reacting with something in my moisturizers... I love my daily moisturizer though because it has zinc oxide in it for the SPF as I think my face is sensitive to chemical sunscreens.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/05/2013 2:00 am

I hope I am posting this in an okay location. I'm 26 years old and have noticed my acne and face has changed from oily to combination. I've recently (within the past 3-4 weeks) changed my skin care regimin to something more gentle. I was using St. Ives Sensitive Scrub but have come to the conclusion that it was exacerbating my acne. So I have switched to using Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser day and night. After I cleanse, I use Dickinson's Witch Hazel Toner. Using these two products together, my skin feels fine. Does not feel over dried so I believe these are good products for me. But it's come to the benzoyl peroxide that is causing me some grief.

When I was younger, I always used 10%. My BP of choice was Walmart's brand, Equate, version of Oxy. I can't remember it ever burning my face. I used the Equate BP on my face last night (all over) and it didn't start burning until I put my moisturizer on. I'm using up my Yes To Cucumbers Soothing Moisturizer. It wasn't as bad of a burn that would cause me to clean and start over, so I left it as is and went to sleep.

This morning, I cleansed as usual, toned, and then applied AcneFree 10% BP (hoping it would be gentler) all over my face. It did not start burning until I put my moisturizer on. I am using Yes to Carrots SPF 15 Facial Moisturizer. This burning did not last as long as the previous night's burning and subsided in about a few hours. However, toward the end of the day, my face was VERY dry and uncomfortable.

Tonight, I cleansed as usual, toned, and then applied AcneFree 5% BP (hoping maybe I need to step it down a notch) all over my face. It felt find going on, I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then applied my cucumber nightly moisturizer. That's when it started burning. This burning is not as bad as the previous nights, so I'm letting it go.

I have also purchased Neutrogena's 2.5% BP just in case I need to step it down another notch. I want to keep using BP. I'm noticing a huge improvement in my blemishes. I'm still getting them occasionally, but they are much smaller and go away much quicker. My mom has also made a comment on my face being much clearer than the last time I visited.

Could this just be a case of applying the BP once a day, at night? A few things I'm considering trying...

1. Only use the 5% BP once a day, at night, all over face. If this does not help, I will consider...

2. Only use the 2.5% BP once a day, at night, all over face. If this does not help, I will consider...

3. Only use the 5% BP as a spot treatment on existing acne. If this does not help, I will consider...

4. Only use the 2.5% BP as a spot treatment on existing acne. If this does not help, I will consider...

The dryness I'm experiencing I am trying to combat with different moisturizers. But I am tired of spending so much money on stuff that isn't working. These moisturizers worked fine... it's only when I started using BP regularly and mostly on all of my face that I get this uncomfortable burning senstation and even drier skin.

On a side note, I recently had a huge nodule acne on my chin. I have NEVER gotten those before. I spot applied 10% BP day and night (only spot treatment), and it was gone in 2-3 days. Should I consider only using BP as a spot treatment? The only areas that are burning on my face after applying my moisturizer is next to my eyes near the outer corners, my cheeks, and the area near the outer edges of my mouth.

I want this burning sensation to go away. It only comes when I apply my moisturizer... Should I be concerned? Or should I stick with my regimin and maybe just bump it down to 2.5% instead of 5%? My cleanser and toner are NOT the issue here. I think the BP might be reacting with something in my moisturizers... I love my daily moisturizer though because it has zinc oxide in it for the SPF as I think my face is sensitive to chemical sunscreens.

I did try the spot treatment with BP before but I found that the new cysts would just come out on a new place on my face so I started the regimen and applied the BP all over my face. The first 3 weeks were the worst. My face was so irritated and itchy and flakey but with time and the right moisturizer it does get so much better.

Just let your skin get used to the BP because it takes time. If you can stay clear with only BP at night then cool, but if you can't, stick to AM and PM application.

MemberMember
(@jlandin1986)

Posted : 03/05/2013 2:13 am

I did try the spot treatment with BP before but I found that the new cysts would just come out on a new place on my face so I started the regimen and applied the BP all over my face. The first 3 weeks were the worst. My face was so irritated and itchy and flakey but with time and the right moisturizer it does get so much better.

Just let your skin get used to the BP because it takes time. If you can stay clear with only BP at night then cool, but if you can't, stick to AM and PM application.

Thanks for your comment. Didn't read this this one until after I applied to the other one 😛 Do you think I should knock it down to 2.5%? I do want to keep it up because my mom is commenting on how clear my face is. I'll try applying more moisturizer too to combat the dryness. The night moisturizer I'm using is a really light moisturizer. I also have a Yes To Carrots Repairing Night Moisturizer that seems to be a bit heavier. Just wanted to use up the other one, almost done with it 😛 The burning sensation tends to go away after about 3-4 hours but by the time the burning goes away, my face feels dry and if I apply more moisturizer it starts burning again. Is this normal? I've only really used BP in the past as spot treatment. Only recently have I started using it full face. I really don't want to give up, just getting a bit discouraged... I do think though that using the St. Ives every morning for the past 3-4 years has contributed to my consistent acne. Thanks so much again for reading my entire post...I know it was pretty lenghty. I didn't want to leave anything out, haha!

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/05/2013 2:18 am

Thanks for your comment. Didn't read this this one until after I applied to the other one tongue.png Do you think I should knock it down to 2.5%? I do want to keep it up because my mom is commenting on how clear my face is. I'll try applying more moisturizer too to combat the dryness. The night moisturizer I'm using is a really light moisturizer. I also have a Yes To Carrots Repairing Night Moisturizer that seems to be a bit heavier. Just wanted to use up the other one, almost done with it tongue.png The burning sensation tends to go away after about 3-4 hours but by the time the burning goes away, my face feels dry and if I apply more moisturizer it starts burning again. Is this normal? I've only really used BP in the past as spot treatment. Only recently have I started using it full face. I really don't want to give up, just getting a bit discouraged... I do think though that using the St. Ives every morning for the past 3-4 years has contributed to my consistent acne. Thanks so much again for reading my entire post...I know it was pretty lenghty. I didn't want to leave anything out, haha!

I use a light moisturizer during the day and then I use Cetaphil at night. Cetaphil can feel a little heavy and make you look greasy but I don't really care coz I'm just gonna go to sleep.

Don't get discouraged and quit on the BP yet, give your skin time to get comfortable with it. I also suggest that until your skin is used to the BP, stop the St. Ives. It will get more irritated. I started using St. Ives on my 5th week on BP and just gently glide it on my face. I don't scrub it in with a lot of force.