Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
archmage

The Archmage's Roaccutane journal.

Hi!

Today is day four of my Roaccutane treatment (40 mg/day) and I'll be writing a journal from now on. So let's start...

DAY 4

I think I'm starting to experience the side effects. My lips are a little bit dry (but I still don't need to use a chapstick), and the face is overall a little less oily. I also think that the 'initial breakout' is starting to kick in. Quite a few whiteheads emerged today on both of my cheeks and a few bigger pimples showed up on my neck. Additionally, I feel that many other whiteheads are on their way up to the surface. I'm prepared for the next few weeks to be quite nasty. However, I know that they won't matter in the long run smile.gif

I see that I'm not the only one who started the Accutane treatment recently... We're all in the same boat now... hope we will make it quickly and safely to our goal smile.gif

hey hey, nice to see another accutane journal! im only a bit ahead of you, at 11 days, and im posting weekly updates. my first few days sound similar to yours, WOW i got SO many whiteheads, lol its charming isnt it? but yea, other than looking gross, they resolve quickly enough. things seem to have calmed down a bit, im still breaking out randomly, but its not terrible, it fluctuates from day to day. im also prepared for the first few weeks of horribleness lol, but itll all be worth in a couple months! good luck!

Hi! Good luck with the treatment. I've almost got a month down, the breakouts are up and down but they pass much more quickly. Haven't had MAJOR dryness yet but definitely its there. Hope things go smooth for you.

DAY 5

Those 'initial breakout' zits are really strange creatures. They appear all of a sudden... and they disappear overnight. Yesterday I went to sleep with a bunch of whiteheads on my cheeks, and today I woke up with reasonably smooth skin... then again, after coming back from school, I noticed many new whiteheads that have just emerged... I think that Accutane makes the zits' life cycle ultra-fast.

As for the dryness, I noticed that my hair is much less oily, which, I hope, means that I won't probably need to wash them every day biggrin.gif My face is less oily, too. The lips are a little bit more dry than yesterday but I still don't need to moisturize them.... OK, it's now 22:27 here in Poland and tomorrow school starts at 7:45 so I think I'll go get some sleep now. CU. wink.gif

I thought that I was the only one experiencing the initial breakout so soon after taking Accutane. I starting breaking out big time after only two days. This is crazy! I guess the faster I have the initial breakout the quicker they will go away (at least I hope).

Good thinking, TMLGirl smile.gif Don't worry about the breakout, days on Accutane pass so much faster, so you won't even realize and you'll be clear biggrin.gif

DAY 6

Some more whiteheads appeared on my cheeks and neck today, but nothing horrible so far. On the other hand, my forehead is clearing rapidly and I'm wondering if it will remain clear, or is it still waiting for its initial breakout... I was also forced to use a lip moisturizer before going to school, particularly a cream called 'Linomag'. It's invisible, unscented and does its job well. And overall, my skin becomes more dry with every passing day. But in fact, I welcome the dryness after years of greasiness smile.gif

DAY 8

New side effects start to kick in. Firstly, I woke up today with my nose being very dry on the inside. I hope this doesn't turn into nosebleeds. Secondly, I started to experience a slight lower back pain, particularly when I go to bed.

The rest is all the same - mass pimples surfacing (but still managable) and lips more dry. Typical first days of Accutane smile.gif

DAY 9

What a dumbass of me. Yesterday, before going to bed, I popped quite a few of my pimples and now they all left really nasty red spots. I'm very angry on myself for doing this.

Other thing is, some bigger pimples started to show up. One of them, located just under my nose, is really painful and annoying. mad.gif

The dryness entered the 'imbalance' phase - lips are very dry, cheeks are dry and peeling, but the forehead, nose and chin are still oily. This situation is quite similar to my Retin-A episode - the cheeks were dry and peeling, but the rest remained oily.

Also, today my back started to suffer from the initial breakout. Several small, red pimples emerged there. But nobody can see my back, so I don't really care about it.

DAY 11

Damn my face looks bad. The forehead is nearly 100% clear, but the cheeks and the jawline are INFESTED with zits. But that's what I expected for those days. doubt.gif

I really hate it when I wash my face and feel sandpaper instead of normal human skin. Let's hope this resolves quickly.

DAY 12

No good news for today sad.gif

Two really big, painful pimples emerged on my left cheek and one on my right cheek today. The overall situation is the same: lips very dry, cheeks full of bad zits and red spots. I'm wondering when the initial worsening phase will end.

Probably will take a little while...but you might notice (as I did) that the zit-cycling increases until you start to gradually get clearer...I'm about a month in and things are already ten times better than they were at 2 weeks

DAY 13

So many new zits appeared overnight that after looking in the mirror this morning, I considered not going to school today. But after a few moments, I said to myself "Fuck it, I'm not going to withdraw from social life just because I look like shit" - and that was a great decision as the day in school was great and gave me much positive emotions, which are so important in the war against acne.

DAY 15

Things start to calm down for a while, is seems like less pimples emerge now than in the last few days. The old ones heal more quickly. smile.gif

DAY 18(not really, but it is 00:34, so a new day has started)

Yes, the fact is that I've got less pimples! My face feels smoother when I wash it. But a new problem showed up - my face is dry and starts peeling in the acne-affected areas. This looks quite bad so I think I am forced to use a moisturizer for my face, cause I'm not going to show up in public with my skin so flaky.

And another thing - not picking the pimples DOES MAKE a difference! The face is remarkably less red.

I've made a promise to myself today to hold myself from using the computer until the end of October (to check out how much am I addicted to it), so the next journal update will be on Monday, 1st November 2004, that is day 26 of the treatment. Let's hope I will have good news to announce on that day.

CU in November smile.gif

DAY 25

OK, I've done all the things that I had to do so I can update the journal today.

I must say that almost nothing has changed during the last week. In fact, I think that my face got a little bit worse! I still get random breakouts, sometimes mild, sometimes quite nasty. Plus the skin is more dry and peeling, especially on the cheeks. But I must say that the new pimples are somewhat reduced in size and they disappear faster.

It could be only coincidence, but I think that PE lessons make me break out more. I had 2 hours of PE on Thursday and on Friday morning i woke up with many, many new big whiteheads.

On Monday, I will go to the lab to make the one month mark blood tests. This is the last obstacle between me and clear skin (my derm said that I need to do the bloodwork only 3 times - at the beginning of the treatment, after 1 month and at the end)... I don't know why, but I am freaking out because of those tests. What if the results are bad and I am forced to discontinue Accutane? shock.gif

I don't know if I could survive such news... let's hope the results will be OK.

DAY 26

I dunno why I said that the bloodwork will be done on Monday. Probably because today is off thanks to the All Saints Day. So I'm going to the lab tomorrow morning.

God damn my cheeks are peeling. I look soooo bad with this flaky skin, even a lot of moisturizer can't prevent it completely.

The good news is that I'm starting to see some totally clear areas (quite small, but better this than nothing) on my cheeks which are so nice to touch (smooth etc.). The bad news is that today I broke out with many tiny whiteheads on my forehead, which was recently relatively clear.

I'm also wondering what will my derm say on Wednesday, when I'm going to visit him to get an Accutane refill prescription...

Ah, almost forgot: the side effects start to bother me more as the back pain can sometimes be quite bad, especially on the PE and when going to sleep.

OK, good night.

DAY 28

OK, the blood test results were very good, and the derm gave me today a refill prescription for Accutane. However, he lowered my dose to 30 mg. I was surprised, but he said that he's been ordering this dosing schedule to his patients (many of them with acne much more severe than mine) for the last 12 years (first month - 40 mg, second and third month - 30 mg, fourth month - 20 mg) and had only one patient who needed a second round of Accutane.... OK, he's the boss, he knows what he's doing smile.gif He said that now I'm entering the most interesting stage of the treatment, in which I will gradually start to actually clear up.

At the moment, I feel pretty down because just when I thought that everything was clearing up, I got a really bad breakout... and I think my face is more red overall doubt.gif... but I believe that after 2-3-4 months, everything will be different biggrin.gif

On the other hand, I don't know wtf is going on! I thought that no oil=no acne. And currently, my face is oil-free! So what's the source of my current pimples?

MONTH ONE - OVERVIEW

I must admit that I am a little disappointed with the results so far... maybe I was too optimistic at the beginning... At the moment, my face is pretty much like at the beginning of the treatment... heck, I knew that my skin will probably become worse in the first few weeks, but I was secretly hoping for some luck and getting big results quickly...

The side effects are typical - dry lips, dry skin and little back pain. No major headaches, no suicidal thoughts, no any serious things mentioned on the possible side effects list.

I'm wondering what will my month two overwiew contain... Will I be clear? Or will I be the same as I am now? Days pass very quickly recently so I guess I'll find out about that very soon. Good luck to all acne sufferers!

DAY 29

My face is quite red at the moment. It's not only the red spots (of which I have plenty sad.gif), but the whole face is somewhat red. But that's pretty normal on Accutane, right?

I fuckin' HATE PE! I always break out after hard exercise and today was no exception mad.gif When will this madness end?

ShenmueFan01: I weigh something about 60kg (~132 lbs)

DAY 31

Some improvement today, the friday's breakout is clearing very nicely, few very small new pimples emerged, skin is definetily smoother but still red as hellfire. But that's not so bad cause it makes the red marks less visible smile.gif

Though I'm not even close to being clear, I see that Accutane starts to kick in a positive way and I'm quite happy because of that. Let's hope that the near future will bring some further clearing and no major breakouts.

DAY 33

blah... still breaking out... however, the breakout-affected area is getting smaller each time. The lower part of my face gets no new zits, the only part affected now are the upper parts of my cheeks - slightly below the level of the nose (and the back of course, but I pay no attention to it, as it has hardly any inflammatory lesions). Plus the pimples are remarkably smaller than in the beginning.

The red spots are becoming the biggest problem now, cause I've got A LOT and i really mean A LOT of them and they look awful. Every smallest pimple leaves a nasty red spot... but well, I just have to wait for those to resolve.

DAY 35

Shit... three zits appeared today morning on my forehead, the area which have been clear for a long time >_< Plus I got some standard breakout on my cheeks...

A big piece of advice for Accutane users: Don't you ever catch a cold while you're on the drug! Here's a short list of what you'll experience: dry throat, a lot of annoying 'dry' coughing, minor nosebleeds when cleaning the nose etc.

DAY 38

Some improvement... although I'm still breaking out, the zits are really smaller. And they disappear faster, of course. The acne-affected area is slowly shrinking every day. Despite I still got a moderate amount of pimples and a lot of redness, I know that everything is on a good way. smile.gif

DAY 40

Fuckin' redness, fuckin' mirrors! Why do my red marks look only a little bit red in one mirror and purple in another? What do they really look like? And my face is so dry and peeling that even a lot of moisturizer can't do anything about it.

I certainly have less pimples but more red marks and more redness, which I know that IS better but LOOKS a LOT worse mad.gif

In the last two days I broke out heavily in my problem area (upper cheeks) and lightly in other random areas of my face sad.gif Damn, I thought that the big breakouts are over >_<

Well, maybe I've just had a worse day today, but I think that I'm getting some light depression because of Accutane. I get angry more easily recently when someone does or says something even very lightly irritating to me. Also, some bad thoughts appear in my mind recently (mostly acne-related), like that Accutane won't fully work for me or that I'll never be able to get a GF because of the way I look... generally, I'm getting impatient and frustrated because of that it takes so long to achieve clearness...

I'm very sorry to post such an unhappy update, but that's the state of my mind at the moment... sad.gif

Ah, and the good news: blackheads are disappearing from my nose. Is this a sign of my face getting clear in the near future? Let's hope so...