Notifications
Clear all

First Time Eating Liver Today!

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/03/2013 4:04 pm

Haha.. yeah.. everyones favorite food, liver. In the past week been reading about liver and how its literally the most nutritious food you can possibly eat, and its amazing source of vitamin A. Which for those who dont know vitamin A can only be found in organ meats and low doses in real butter and some other foods, carrots/greens/sweet potatoes and all that is beta carotene, which your body has to convert to Vitamin A. From the stuff I read turns out huge majority of peoples bodies cant even convert the adequate amount, and many people are deficient in Retinol or true vitamin A.

Interesting because retinol is needed for healthy skin and accutane is a synthetic version, much better to get it from food like liver. So this might help a lot of you. I did a ton of reading about eating raw vs cooked, Tracey who comes on here from time to time and has the Love Vitamin blog eats it raw and has a video about it. She says and from what I have read if you freeze it for 2 weeks all parasites and bacteria are killed. This is also a case where grass fed organic is a better choice for a cleaner liver.. though from what I have read some say it doesnt matter because the liver doesnt store toxins, it filters them.. dunno either way if you can afford it go for the organic.

I tried mine today and decided to eat it raw. It had been frozen for a month, I got the CALF liver because it has 3x the amount of Vitamin A and 4x the amount of Zinc then mature beef, something to keep in mind. Im a man and didnt care about disguising the taste lol, I simply cut it into small chunks and swallowed them whole like the lion I am. Haha it actually felt pretty crazy, kind of felt like a lion, it was frozen so the taste was faint but it does taste like blood. The primal instincts in me kind of enjoyed it lol, Im not one who is easily squeemish or however you spell that. Also is a great way to build muscle!

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 03/06/2013 8:55 am

Love it too, but there's nothing wrong with cooking it. Brings out the smell and I can eat a lot more that way.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/06/2013 3:41 pm

ya I cooked it yesterday and it wasn't bad at all.. tasted almost like a McD's burger, not good but eatable.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/06/2013 5:50 pm

I love liver as long as it isn't overlooked. I usually have chicken/ turkey.

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 03/10/2013 9:45 am

I love liver. I go to "old folks'" restaurants because it's the only place I can find liver and I hate cooking meat at home because of the smell. I love all organ meats, actually. Can't eat them all the time, of course, but delicious and nutritious! So glad my dad is an old Italian and fed us such "weird" foods.

MemberMember
(@drth)

Posted : 03/10/2013 12:23 pm

Liver is amazing, I got so confused the first time I ate it because afterwards my skin didn't get very oily for the rest of the day (a first time since I was 12). I didn't connect that with eating liver (or rather, Vitamin A I guess) for at least 6 months...

I really like the taste too.