Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Still Doing Water Only Method / Caveman?

MemberMember
(@ohnelly)

Posted : 03/03/2013 2:23 pm

Hello,

I have been trying the water only method for 3-4 weeks now. I have breaking out pretty badly in red spots and white heads but no cystic acne. I tried going caveman for 5 days and doing nothing but I broke in even more whiteheads. I used a washcloth yesterday to exfoliate which I think irritated my face more. So today I just went back to letting the water wash over it in the shower.

My question is this, is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Will I ever stop getting red spots and whiteheads. I mean the cystic acne is gone but I'm not sure if looking like I do now is any better. I almost gave up today and started going back to soap. It looks the worst it ever has since I started this 25 days ago.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/03/2013 2:31 pm

I havent put tap water on my face in years. Makes it really irritated. I use filtered water, lately I have been using Hemp Oil as my cleanser and washing it off with filtered water, once a week, been great. I only do that and wash with water probably one other time a week, the other days I just use a tissue and wipe my face with that, its what works best for me. Over washing even washing my face every day makes my mantle really sensitive. Again everyone is different.. Im not the type of person who has ever had oily skin.. I have the dry skin type, so to each their own..

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 03/03/2013 4:04 pm

I don't do the caveman regime exactly although it does intrigue me and I'd love to have the balls to do it. However I ONLY ever wash my face with water (unfiltered) and nothing else, that has been about a good 4-5 months. More recently I have experienced somewhat slightly better results by washing my face once per day the past month.

I'll wake up and not wash my face for about 8 hours, then il splash with water generally warm water and finish with cold...I pat dry and leave my face a bit damp to dry naturally. After about a few hours I then treat my skin with tea tree oil and then thats me for about another 22 hours.

I say stick with it and just be patient with it...I really don't believe in stripping our face with chemicals and soap. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@ohnelly)

Posted : 03/03/2013 5:16 pm

Thank Thehoper and Misssac. I'm happy to hear this method is working for someone.

I only started it because my finacea and cetaphil weren't stopping or controlling the couple of cystic zits I would get along my cheeks. However, since starting this method my face has exploded with whiteheads and red spots. It's weird because my skin's texture actually looks a lot healthier and thicker. But I'm getting so down about the whiteheads and red marks they leave behind that I don't want to leave my house.

Did you experience a purging period? I wouldn't mind this if I knew it would end or that there was an end in sight. Every day I get one step closer to reaching for that bar of soap.

Also, do you wear makeup? I still wear eye makeup if I leave the house. I would feel better if I could cover up the red spots with something but I have no idea how I would go about removing it.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/03/2013 5:32 pm

Soap? lol you crazy woman, soap is terrible for acne prone people. way better options then soap. You could also try water/ACV/lemon, clay masks.. yogurt masks.. honey masks.. washing with oil..

But yeah I used topicals on my face for years and had been on BP for a long time befrore I did the caveman, and when I stopped and just did caveman my skin was the by far the worse it had ever got for about 2 months, dont know how but I just stuck with it and eventually my skin was way better night and day difference, face looked normal. Its crazy to me how people put BP on their face.. they are bleaching their faces, forget acne it makes you look so fake, blotchy skin etc.

In that beginning stage Id suggest manuka honey and hemp oil, put it on ask a mask for about 10-20 min then wash off. Do that for a couple months and then ease your way to only doing it ever other day, then twice a week.. thats what I did.. spread it out over time.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/03/2013 6:22 pm

I have not used soap except f or hand washing in a couple of years.

MemberMember
(@ohnelly)

Posted : 03/03/2013 9:49 pm

Thehoper, where would I be able to find that type of honey and hemp oil? I'm assuming I would have to go to a health food store?

Also, when your face was bad the first two months, did you notice a lot of blackheads in addition to flaky skin and white heads? The blackheads scare me...like more zits just waiting to form. It's also difficult not to pick the skin, whiteheads, and blackheads. I'm pretty good about it but sometimes I can't even look in the mirror.

I keep telling myself it'll be worth it but it just seems so terrible right now. If I only have another month of this and then clear forever, that would be nice.

It's nice of you to still post on here even if you are clear!! I used BP, finacea, and salicylic acid for a couple of months on my face. It gave me large cystic acne like I had never had in my life.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/04/2013 1:10 am

Amazon, health food stores charge a lot more for hemp oil and a little more for the manuka honey. I buy the gallon of hemp oil because I use it for multiple things and save a lot of money that way. I take 2 tbl a day for the GLA which balances hormones and lubricates the skin from within, does alot of other health benefits if your interested look into it hemp oil is awesome. The manuka honey is pretty expensive stuff but it is worth it, if you cant afford it though I would say just get the hemp oil for now and cleanse with the oil see how that goes ya may not even need the honey. The honey is good for red marks/scars and seems to really nourish the skin well.

I never have had blackheads, Ive always had whiteheads. Yes my skin was extremely flakey lol.. was tough, embarrassing for sure with work/friends etc, a lot of that though was from still using tap water. BP just made my skin super dry and sensitive, seemed to completely wreck my mantle after years of using it twice a day. If I had use distilled water Im sure it would have been a lot better.

Yeah I still come on here because I enjoy forums and this is one that I like coming to and reading, and also because I still get spots here and there, Im not sure if there is ever a complete cure. My face this past year has been very healthy and at times completely clear which has been great and its without a doubt because of my lifestyle. But yeah always new things to learn.. definitely a learning experience. Have to be patient and calm. And you'll learn what works for you.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 03/04/2013 2:48 am

Have you thought that maybe the whiteheads and blackheads your experiencing are purging period? Could be a good thing. I don't actually remember having an initial breakout with the water only method...but at the same time I was using a honey mask once ever second day (I never used manuka btw just regular honey Rowes Glen or something, it was in a small jar) I would wash this off gently with warm to hot water because it can stick. I'd leave it on for about half an hour and loved the softness it left me.

Maybe use filtered water if you aren't already? And see if that makes a difference. I think your skin is just freaking out because this isn't what it knows, it was obviously accustomed to the cetaphil and stuff. You could try spot treating with tea tree oil and see how you do?

I do still wear eye makeup only when I can be bothered making an effort. I use a sensitive Johnson's baby wipe to take it off.

MemberMember
(@ohnelly)

Posted : 03/04/2013 11:51 am

@Missac, I am really hoping it's a purging period. I don't get big pimples but rather tiny whiteheads and red inflamed areas that turn into these tiny whiteheads. Some of the whiteheads get big. I try not to pop any but I swear the redness takes longer to heal than if I would just pop them. Also, (sorry if this is gross) I can literally see blackheads like almost being pushed out of the skin.

I am very interested in doing this honey mask that you and Thehoper have mentioned. Also, Thehoper mentioned hemp oil but I had also read about jojoba oil/castor oil being good as a blackhead cleanse. I'm at this point where I am afraid to do almost anything to make the situation worse but I would love to remove all these blackheads and whiteheads!

Honey sounds like a very difficult thing to wash off? You say you used warm water but did you use a wash cloth or something to help it along?

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/04/2013 12:21 pm

Honey isnt that hard to wash off, and yeah you could use non-manuka honey I would still get raw organic for purity, the manuka has the highest UMF rating which is the best combat against bacteria and and fungi but also best for redmarks/scars. And I wouldnt use castor oil or jojoba, caster seems to dry too much and jojoba seems to clog pores for me personally, best options would be the Hemp or Grapeseed oil, an oil high in GLA, there is a thread on here all about washing with GLA oils.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/04/2013 6:17 pm

I spent a month using hemp oil in place of the high linoleic acid safflower and my keratosis pilaris and blackhead problem came back.

Jojoba oil made me break out in small non-inflamed pimples on my forehead. Something I otherwise didn't get. And this is the only time I have ever noticed anything applied topically breaking me out.

You want an oil high in linoleic acid because problem skin of all types, including acne, have been found to be deficient in linoleic acid. The only thing is these oils are prone to rancidity so you need a good brand from a place with a high turnover who hopefully stored it properly. I buy Napa Valley Organics from Whole Foods. Pour a small amount into a small dark bottle for daily use/mixing with stuff and keep the rest in the fridge.

MemberMember
(@ohnelly)

Posted : 03/04/2013 9:51 pm

@Thehoper and Alternativista, I have a lot to learn! I had never heard of GLA and I googled it. It said something about Omega6? I wonder if I'm deficient in it.

So, oils high in linoleic acid? I think it sounds like I'm going to have to test these out and figure out what works for my skin. I had read that jojoba and hemp were close to the same makeup of your own sebum. It sounds strange to me that putting oil on my face wouldn't make me break out! You just massage them on your face and remove with a washcloth I assume?

But then again, every single topical made me break out and got me no further to where I want to be.

Thank you!!

MemberMember
(@ohnelly)

Posted : 03/05/2013 1:04 am

The more I read on these boards, the worse things get for me. It seems like a lot of people struggled with the water only method...some people reported seborhheic dermatitis. I'm very nervous now. UGH, I don't want to reach for the soap but I don't want to end up with a fungal infection on my face or a year of dead skin mask.

I started doing it because it sounded easy enough. Now I'm just not sure.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/05/2013 9:59 am

@Thehoper and Alternativista, I have a lot to learn! I had never heard of GLA and I googled it. It said something about Omega6? I wonder if I'm deficient in it.

So, oils high in linoleic acid? I think it sounds like I'm going to have to test these out and figure out what works for my skin. I had read that jojoba and hemp were close to the same makeup of your own sebum. It sounds strange to me that putting oil on my face wouldn't make me break out! You just massage them on your face and remove with a washcloth I assume?

But then again, every single topical made me break out and got me no further to where I want to be.

Thank you!!

Linoleic acid thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/314390-acne-prone-skinsebum-deficient-in-linoleic-acid-possible-topical-solution/?view=getnewpost

And pay no attention to most the caveman talk about dead skin masks and not letting water touch your face. You can wash your face, just don't use soap. Or if you must, use a very mild cleanse at night only then follow with an acidic toner like diluted ACV. You can use your clean hands, a cloth, warm water, etc. although what you can do depends on how sensitive your skin is. And if your water irritates you, you could try bottled or distiller water. If the chlorine/chloramines irritate you, you could get a shower filter. You can also run tap water into a container and let sit or several hours to let the chlorine evaporates out.

Whatever you do, squeaky 'clean' skin is not desirable.

MemberMember
(@skydivekelsey)

Posted : 03/07/2013 1:37 am

When did you start Finacea? I started three weeks ago and am still breaking out. I would give it a couple months before quitting though.

Have you talked to your dermo about these oil face washes ect? I would never ever put oil on my face because I have oily skin... washing your face is meant to get the dirt and oil out... why put it in? eusa_think.gif

Just curious how long you started Finacea because I am having a similar experience with the white heads neutral.gif

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@ohnelly)

Posted : 03/07/2013 1:55 am

@Skydive, I was on Finacea for a couple of months. It itched, thinned the hell out of my skin and gave me a dull complexion. It also did not get rid of my cystic acne. It made it so it was somewhat controlled I guess. Instead of having five on one cheek I would have 2. But it would harden my whiteheads and they would stay forever. I also hated the itching. Yikes that sucked. But honestly, topicals did NOTHING for me except make things far far far worse in the long run. I feel like it's the same really as using hand sanitizer. They find that nurses who use hand sanitizer have much lower resistance to bad bacteria. That's what I think we do to our faces. We lower the resistance to bacteria by constant washing, scrubbing, and sanitizing, and then the bad stuff invades.

Some oils match your skins makeup and can actually clean dirt out of your pores without upsetting your bacterial balance.

But that gives us little comfort I know. :/ We just want something that will work.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/07/2013 9:53 am

When did you start Finacea? I started three weeks ago and am still breaking out. I would give it a couple months before quitting though.

Have you talked to your dermo about these oil face washes ect? I would never ever put oil on my face because I have oily skin... washing your face is meant to get the dirt and oil out... why put it in? eusa_think.gif

Thanks!

Because removing the oil is not a good thing. It isn't a layer of dead grease. It is living cells that do things. It's a vital part of skin function. For one, it produces the enzymes that separate skin cells for normal exfoliation. It also maintains the proper ph for those enzymes to function and to protect skin from harmful microbes. However, your sebum should be primarily linoleic acid. They've found that problem (such as acne) prone skin, is deficient in linoleic acid . And topical application improves that.

Also, soap is made from oil.

MemberMember
(@skydivekelsey)

Posted : 03/08/2013 3:13 am

@Skydive, I was on Finacea for a couple of months. It itched, thinned the hell out of my skin and gave me a dull complexion. It also did not get rid of my cystic acne. It made it so it was somewhat controlled I guess. Instead of having five on one cheek I would have 2. But it would harden my whiteheads and they would stay forever. I also hated the itching. Yikes that sucked. But honestly, topicals did NOTHING for me except make things far far far worse in the long run. I feel like it's the same really as using hand sanitizer. They find that nurses who use hand sanitizer have much lower resistance to bad bacteria. That's what I think we do to our faces. We lower the resistance to bacteria by constant washing, scrubbing, and sanitizing, and then the bad stuff invades.

Some oils match your skins makeup and can actually clean dirt out of your pores without upsetting your bacterial balance.

But that gives us little comfort I know. :/ We just want something that will work.

ohhh I know! I cannot stand the itching and burning! Its terrible!!! It lasts for a couple hours sometimes after the application. Did you notice that it cleared your red marks on your skin? That is what I am trying to get rid of. I have dark pitted scars..... cry.gif

I just joined this site and its so nice to know that I am not the only one going through a hard time... anytime I feel like crying I come on this site. It has really helped me the past week. smile.png

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 03/08/2013 12:21 pm

I have not used soap except f or hand washing in a couple of years.

Yep, neither have I. I'll occasionally use an oil like rose hip seed or grape seed/sesame seed, but i haven't washed my face in the traditional manner using a wash for a couple years now. I will go days, or even weeks without even using water on my face. Kind of crazy considering how i used to obsess with washing my face twice a day. And then slathering harsh topicals all over it

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/08/2013 1:19 pm

Nope. None of it worked for me. I've tried water only and the oil cleansing method. The OCM was the worst thing I did. It brought my acne to a whole new level and I started getting staph infections again because the inflammation would never go down. It was basically a nightmare. Any time I've attempted to do "natural" skincare, my acne has grown worse, more deep cysts and repeated staph infections.

Now I'm back on the regimen and my skin is looking better than it has in a very long time. This natural stuff works for some people, but some of us unfortunately need medication.

Good luck! Wish it had worked for me.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/09/2013 3:42 am

The more I read on these boards, the worse things get for me. It seems like a lot of people struggled with the water only method...some people reported seborhheic dermatitis. I'm very nervous now. UGH, I don't want to reach for the soap but I don't want to end up with a fungal infection on my face or a year of dead skin mask.

I started doing it because it sounded easy enough. Now I'm just not sure.

I think there should be a rule that if you are in a bad mood or have broken out do NOT come to these boards. Haha! You go from "Oh boy this is my miracle cure" in one thread only to realize 10 people said they broke out because of it in another. The amount of information is overwhelming and you end up exhausted after all of it.

That being said, I look forward to hearing your progress on the water only method. You responded to my other thread about my interest in trying it, but after a recent breakout of a very large cyst I am holding off a few more months to get my diet and lifestyle in order.

I think water only, or very little topicals, is a great step. I do however believe it will not solve most peoples skin problems without strict adherence to other lifestyle/diet choices. The more I read about acne either through literature, studies, or just forums, the more I realize we must address the inflammatory responses in our own bodies that are a result of insulin spikes, stress, hormones, etc. If we have those under control then the water-only method may just be the last thing you need to do to either achieve clear skin or see a significant improvement in it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/09/2013 6:16 am

Hmmmm, everyone will have their opinion on this so i may as well add mine. Water only may help if IRRITATION is causing your acne but if it is primarily hormones, diet, etc, then you'll still get acne as acne for most of us is an internal problem versus an external problem. If things are getting significantly worse and you are scarring then i would honestly tell you to come up with a plan ASAP such as:

diet changes

maybe seeing and endo to determine what if any hormone factors are at work, etc

Relying on any one thing to help your acne is not always the best thing

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/09/2013 10:36 am

Hmmmm, everyone will have their opinion on this so i may as well add mine. Water only may help if IRRITATION is causing your acne but if it is primarily hormones, diet, etc, then you'll still get acne as acne for most of us is an internal problem versus an external problem. If things are getting significantly worse and you are scarring then i would honestly tell you to come up with a plan ASAP such as:

diet changes

maybe seeing and endo to determine what if any hormone factors are at work, etc

Relying on any one thing to help your acne is not always the best thing

Good Luck

You are right about relying on one thing. Because there isn't just one thing going on. But sebum and I the acid mantle play important roles in skin function. Washing it away with soap

is detrimental.

MemberMember
(@dog01234567890)

Posted : 03/10/2013 5:59 pm

Ok, so I reached 30days of the caveman.

I didn't let any water tocuh my face, I didn't wash it and I didn't scratch it etc

It did look HORRIBLE! I definately had a lot of deadskin, especially on my forehead (which was my problem area)

I washed my face with mineral water and a muslin cloth and my skin looked BEAUTIFUL!

I complete couldn't believe it! My skin has started to heal itself, it's looking better than anything I have ever tried before.

It requires a lot of faith though, I didn't think it was going to work, & I wanted to wash my face and get back to normal but I;m so glad I didnt!

I think I will do this for a few more months, not washing for 30days then gently wash off with mineral water at the end.

My complexion is so even and bright. The mineral water didn't dry out my skin or anything.

I will never use products on my face again!

I highly recommend this to everyone

however be patient becuase it's not instant, it can take a little while, but you will notice the effects at the end of the month!

my skin isn't even oily anymore. it;s normal again!

Please message me if anyone has any questions.