MemberMember
(@supercal)

Posted : 03/02/2013 9:20 pm

Current status:

17 years

6'1

175 lbs

10-13% bodyfat

mild-moderate facial acne (no cysts just general redness a few whiteheads coming and going)

Hello,

I am a 17 year old male, so I can attribute some of this acne to hormoes (not adult acne... yet and hopefully will never have that!). I would like to treat the dietary causes once and for all!

I've been eating "healthy" (no processed foods, generally low added sugar, no trans fats) for the past year or so, but didn't concern myself with good fruit/vegetable intake and avoiding alergens. I am going to do my best to educate myself on the diet/living habits/supplements to be as healthy as possible!

I want to record all my habits which could relate to acne getting better or worse. I will include pictures soon.

I would appreciate if everyone would tell me what I am doing wrong, and what I could do better!

The factors will include (may add more later):

Diet

Water

Sleep

Sun exposure

Excercise

Skin care

3/2/13

Fell asleep around 2 A.M. (I know.. bad, but it was friday night!), woke up at 8:30.

Diet: First off, I am concerned about weight. Not in the way most people are. I want to gain muscle! Usually I eat lots of grains/seeds/nuts but I am cutting those out for a week to see if that helps with acne. I was trying to go raw vegan for the following week, but the chicken my mom made smelled too good. I figure chicken wouldnt be soo bad.

15 Organic Golden Delicious apples

1 Organic Red Delicious apple

2 chicken drumsticks

1 lemon (squeezed into water)

3-4 litres of water

Excercise:

45 minute walk with about 5 minutes of hard running

Sun exposure:

About 1 hr 15 mins

Hygene:

1 shower in morning

1 hot bath followed by cold rinse

1 shower (got haircut too!)

Skin care:

Washed face with cold water.

Wiped face with 1:1 Apple cider vingar/water solution, showered shortly after

Will apply coconut oil before bed

MemberMember
(@supercal)

Posted : 03/02/2013 10:03 pm

Add to 3/2/13

Some rosemary potatoes

Yeast flakes

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/03/2013 8:09 am

16 apples???? That's how you plan to eat? For how long? And why?

MemberMember
(@supercal)

Posted : 03/03/2013 2:00 pm

16 apples???? That's how you plan to eat? For how long? And why?

Decided to give this regimine a try http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/47719-my-acne-program/

After feeling too hungry I decided I will not do that and just continue eating whole foods like I have been for a little while.

A month ago I cut out wheat/gluten. About two weeks back I cut out peanut butter.. Last week I cut out eggs. Going to do grain free this week.. So I will primairly rely on meat/quinoa/fruit.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/03/2013 2:05 pm

How about Greens? Broccoli? Onions? Garlic? Sweet potatoes?

MemberMember
(@supercal)

Posted : 03/03/2013 11:42 pm

Thoughts for today: Drank a lot of water,but was thirsty and want to help my body get rid of toxins! In future will try to limit to 4-5 quarts. I need to start eating more vegtables and herbs, anyone have a juicer they reccomend? Going to buy one this week sometime.

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on bulking for muscle while getting rid of acne. I know eating a lot of food is taxing on the digestive system. Are those two (gaining muscle/clearing skin) mutually exclusive? I would prioritize a clear face over gaining muscle mass at the moment.

Diet: 3267 calories

10 am:

1 organic golden delicious, 1 organic red delicious apple

2:45 pm:

3 oz almonds

3 cups organic red quinoa with (non organic) yeast flakes

1:45 pm:2 cups organicred quinoa

2:15 pm: 1 organic golden delicious

3:45 pm: 1 organic golden delicious

7 pm:

-3 cups organic quinoa

-4-5 oz ground beef

-(organic) salad with carrots

9:30 pm:

-1.5 oz coconut oil

-1 organic golden delicious

-6 oz organic baby carrots

Bowel movements:

2, smell wasn't offending

Flatulence:

Minor, little to no smell

Water: 6.75 litres

Sleep:

10 pm-6:45 am

Sun exposure:

1.5-2 hrs

Excercise:

low intensity basketball

2.5 mile run outside (22 min 19 second) (high intesity for me :D)

Skin care

coconut oil on face in morning (7 am)

washed face 1 hr later (8 am)

rinsed face in shower after run (about 10:30 am)

applied 1:1 acv/water on cotton pad (3 pm)

washed said apple cider vinegar off (3:30 pm)

rinsed face in shower before bed (9:15 pm)

coconut oil on face before bed (9:45 pm)

How about Greens? Broccoli? Onions? Garlic? Sweet potatoes?

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 03/04/2013 12:19 am

Why too much sun you only need at most 30 minutes

From 8 am till 10 are the best times I think

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/04/2013 9:34 am

Why too much sun you only need at most 30 minutes

From 8 am till 10 are the best times I think

No, it's midday. The sun has to be high in the sky. Your shadow should be shorter than you. UVB rays bounce off the atmosphere when they strike at an angle.

And you are right, you don't need that much direct sun. But we should be out doors in daylight as much as possible.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 03/04/2013 10:22 am

I agree that you should be outdoors as much as possible, it tends to help me sleep better and also helps with inflammation. I find it very hard however, since here it's -6 degrees celsius and dark after 4-5pm even now in March. So I'm currently (and for the past 4 months) just resorting to a light box on my work desk and trying to have a walk outdoors around midday. Can't wait for summer, tbh.

I don't think a light box is really an appropriate replacement for sun, but it's better than nothing. You should really consider getting one if you can't be outdoors enough. I'm thinking about getting a bigger and more powerful one when I get the chance. Also, these glasses might be useful if you use the computer in the evenings like I do (+ getting the flux program).

Here's more info about the glasses. I tried some blue light blocking shades a few years ago (which were really expensive) to help with my insomnia and they worked fairly well, but they broke pretty fast. I never got new ones because of the price, but now that I bumped into these very cheap ones on BoingBoing, I ordered a pair.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/04/2013 12:14 pm

I agree that you should be outdoors as much as possible, it tends to help me sleep better and also helps with inflammation. I find it very hard however, since here it's -6 degrees celsius and dark after 4-5pm even now in March. So I'm currently (and for the past 4 months) just resorting to a light box on my work desk and trying to have a walk outdoors around midday. Can't wait for summer, tbh.

I don't think a light box is really an appropriate replacement for sun, but it's better than nothing. You should really consider getting one if you can't be outdoors enough. I'm thinking about getting a bigger and more powerful one when I get the chance. Also, these glasses might be useful if you use the computer in the evenings like I do (+ getting the flux program).

Here's more info about the glasses. I tried some blue light blocking shades a few years ago (which were really expensive) to help with my insomnia and they worked fairly well, but they broke pretty fast. I never got new ones because of the price, but now that I bumped into these very cheap ones on BoingBoing, I ordered a pair.

Good find. I can hardly stand wearing glasses though. Also, you can get the f.lux program for the Android tablet or a jail broken iPad. Which is why I regret getting an Ipad. When I looked into the 'dangers' of jailbreaking an iPad I found quite a few people talking of 'bricking' their ipad. And since I've had iphones fail on an update, I'm afraid to try it.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 03/04/2013 3:15 pm

It just occured to me that I'm not sure how well those glasses work if you need to wear normal glasses, too. I was able to wear my older ones on top of my regular glasses without any issues, but these may be different. We'll see. I'm used to wearing glasses, so it's not a big deal for me to wear some bigger goggles as long as they help me sleep.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/04/2013 6:21 pm

It just occured to me that I'm not sure how well those glasses work if you need to wear normal glasses, too. I was able to wear my older ones on top of my regular glasses without any issues, but these may be different. We'll see. I'm used to wearing glasses, so it's not a big deal for me to wear some bigger goggles as long as they help me sleep.

If they are safety glasses then I'm sure you are meant to be able to wear them over your regular corrective glasses.

MemberMember
(@supercal)

Posted : 03/05/2013 11:50 pm

March 4th:

Diet: 3275 calories

3 cups cooked quinoa

4 oz beef roast

1 cup potatoes

1/2 grapefruit

4 oz almonds

9 oz baby carrots

4 golden delicious

3 red delicious

4 bananas

1 oz coconut oil

Bowel movements:

2 or 3

Flatulence:

moderate.. offending smell for first half of day

Water: 3.31 litres

Sleep:

11 pm-7 am

Sun exposure:

30 minutes

Excercise:

5x5 185 lb parelel squat

5x5 145 bench press

5x5 145 bent over row

3x10 30 lb curls

Skin care

Washed face in shower

Thoughts.. Lots of energy with this much fruit! Blood sugar was 96 when I checked it, after the quinoa and 8 bananas

March 5th

Diet: 3500 calories

4 cups quinoa with yeast flakes

2 red delicious

Popcorn popped in coconut oil (1/2 cup unpoppoed) sprinkled with yeast flakes

12 organic bananas

3.5 golden delicious (got half way done with the 2nd one.. bit into a big piece of mold. Swallowed half of mouthful before I realized what I bit lol)

Drumstick of chicken

Bowel movements:

Flatulence:

Excessive gas, low smell (I'm attributing to me getting over 100g of fiber today... or what else could it be?)

Water: 19 cups (switching to cups opposed to litres)

Sleep:

11-7:30

Sun exposure:

15 minutes

Excercise:

None

Skin care:

Washed face in shower with water

Washed face with tea tree oil soap

Shaved, using lather from tea tree oil soap

MemberMember
(@supercal)

Posted : 03/06/2013 11:26 am

Did anything I ate yesterday look offending? I kept waking myself up last night farting. Also a little bit of acid reflux which I have not experienced in months. I'm thinking maybe I overate in general?