Notifications
Clear all

Male/20 Yrs Old Accutane Journey

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/01/2013 8:11 pm

Hey guys,

Decided to start an accutane log and post updates from time to time! I'm a 20 year old male, have had persistent mild to moderate acne for about five years, and I'm turning 21 in April. Went to a new dermatologist and he decided to put me on accutane without any hesitation. The first month I'm starting on 60 mg/day and I'll be bumped up to 80 mg/day the next month.

I started on 2/26/13 so right now I'm on Day 4.

*Day 4 Update*

Definitely starting to have the beginning of what could be the initial breakout. Getting bad inflamed acne on my jawline that I've never had before, as well as cystic acne, praying it can die down a little over the weekend sad.png. Other than that, no side effects that have been too serious. I notice my lips are getting a little dryer but not chapped yet. I am thirsty ALL the time however and my throat seems to always be dry.

Will update this thread with how this progresses, hopefully this will really do the trick for my acne eusa_pray.gif

EDIT: Adding pictures from now on throughout the course. Here's pictures I have taken so far...

Before Accutane: cdkCtWV.png

yQtz6zd.png

About 3 Weeks In, Flaring so got on Prednisone : FMwRyjp.png

Day 49 (7 Weeks): WkQDuga.png

zdXr9vU.png

Will add further updates throughout thread

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 03/01/2013 8:41 pm

Hey, I also started my treatment on the 26th. I am also noticing some side effects... dry hair, dry throat, fatigue. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/01/2013 8:53 pm

Good luck to you as well!!

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/02/2013 11:04 pm

Day 5

My acne is the worst it's been my entire life. Have large inflamed acne all along my jawline and chin. Praying that this is a good thing and just shows accutane's really working fast, hopefully this breakout subsides fairly quick... Other than that, no side effects except chapped lips and dry throat.

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/04/2013 6:39 pm

Day 7

Acne hasn't really improved, it's still really bad on the left side of my face/jawline area whereas my right side isn't too bad. Lips feel like the Sahara Desert LOL, extremely dry and chapped. I find myself applying aquaphor on them multiple times in just one class. Really hoping the acne can start dying down shortly

MemberMember
(@icuredthisdisease15)

Posted : 03/05/2013 3:21 pm

I'm 19, about to turn 20, and planning on going on accutane for my mild acne too. Where do you usually get acne?

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/05/2013 5:12 pm

Hey icuredthisdisease it's not as bad as two days ago, seems to be decreasing a little bit. Chapped lips are getting worse but I haven't really had dry skin or anything yet, definitely manageable with chapstick.

As far as my acne, I've had hormonal acne for the most part. Have never had acne on my forehead, maybe the rare random one that pops up every once in a while, but my acne's mainly been on my cheeks/jawline, sometimes on chin, and some on neck.

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/10/2013 1:47 pm

Day 13 Update

*sigh*, still definitely in the IB phase it seems. the left side of my face along my cheek and jawline is really bad with inflamed acne and 1 or 2 cysts that always show up, seem to take forever for them to fade. Right side is better but still definitely has some inflammation.

As far as side effects my lips are drier than ever, dry skin, and I find my skin and scalp is very itchy all the time. Anyone know if there's anything to make your skin less itchy?

ALSO, has anyone had their face look better after about a month? My 21st bday's comin up in about a month, praying my skin looks at least a little better than this IB phase so I can enjoy myself.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/10/2013 5:49 pm

My hair and skin are super dry although not very itchy. You might try an anti-dandruff shampoo as they also say they are good for itching. Head & Shoulders or Neutrogena T-gel might work. I have had some flaking but the dandruff shampoo didn't help, mine must just be dry skin and not truly dandruff. I am using a moisture mask by L'Oreal (it comes in a jar) and it seems to be helping so that might be another option for you?

What moisturizer are you using for your skin? I am using shea butter at night, Cetaphil cream in the morning and it's keeping my skin manageable so far.

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/10/2013 6:47 pm

Hm I'll definitely have to look into that L'Oreal mask I've been using head and shoulders for my hair and it hasn't seemed to help so far with the itchy scalp.

As far as moisturizer I've just been using the cetaphil moisturizer in the morning/night and cetaphil cleanser in the shower. May have to look into shea butter..

How's your course been so far?

MemberMember

Posted : 03/10/2013 7:33 pm

Yeah, I can't say for sure if it will help with the itching since I haven't really experienced that but it has definitely helped with the flaking. I think it was around $6 at CVS. I've also tried a moisturizing hot oil treatment but I think the moisturizing mask was more effective, it's really just a thick conditioner that you leave on for five minutes or so. I don't know if you have a Sally Beauty Supply in your area but I bought several trial packages of moisturizers there too (like $1.50 each) so I may find something I like even better before this is all over with. I can tell this hair thing is going to be an ongoing problem...I am terrified it's going to just dry up and fall out. Or maybe I've just read too many horror stories on the internet?! lol.

My course is going okay. I had really bad headaches the first week and felt exhausted but that seems to have passed. Since that I seem to be just drying out more and more. No big IB so far (knock on wood!). A mild breakout or two but no worse than my acne was before really. But, my face was fairly clear from all the antibiotics before I started Accutane, it was my body acne and increasing severity of my overall acne that finally convinced me to go on this stuff.

Hope your IB passes quickly!

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/16/2013 1:49 pm

Day 19 Update

So I thought my skin was getting better around day 15 or so, boy was I wrong! I'm not getting acne in any new areas that I didn't have it before I hopped on accutane, but my acne's much much worse in the areas I had it like my cheeks, jawline, and neck. I know it's only Day 19, but it's extremely frustrating. I find myself having to make up excuses not to go out with friends like having a bad headache or having too much homework etc. Some days I don't even wanna go to class. Actually feel slightly depressed, which is weird because I thought I would never have that kind of side effect but I don't even know if it's from the accutane, it's probably just by how bad my acne is....

Starting to think I may be one of the unfortunate ones who doesn't start seeing any progress until MONTHS in... sad.png

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/25/2013 1:45 pm

Day 28 Update

Skin still seems really bad unfortunately... my left side of my face cheek down is full of whiteheads and im SO tempted to pop them but i dont know what to do... whenever I've had whiteheads before being on the medication I've always popped them, I don't know how else they go away. Not to mention still a bunch of cysts.

Stupid question but if you don't pop the whiteheads do they just fade on their own or something? I thought you had to get the puss out.

Side effects are still the same, very dry nose/skin and chapped lips. Don't have an itchy scalp anymore thankfully.

Going in for my first checkup on Wednesday, think my dermatologist wants to raise me to 80mg/day. Hope everyone who's following is doing well on their course!

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/27/2013 12:25 pm

Quick Update

Just got back from my dermatologist. He saw how bad my flareup was on the left side of my face and said I was very unfortunate as he sees only about 1 in 20 people get worse acne before it gets better. Seems weird as people on this forum seem to go through some kind of initial breakout too.

Anyways, he decided to keep me on 60 mg/day for another month and he prescribed me Prednisone for 10 days which he claims should reduce the flaring a lot. I'm praying he's right, anyone have experience with using it?

edit: 10mg/10 days of prednisone if anyone's wondering

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/27/2013 7:00 pm

only 1 in 20 people get worst acne while on tane? Reading from these forums, it seems as if everyone gets it..

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 03/27/2013 8:50 pm

yeah I'm not sure what he meant by that. I mean maybe he meant to say the IB is usually gone by the 1st month appointment? I felt a little down after him saying that haha, just praying this steroid kicks in...

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 04/02/2013 5:49 pm

Day 33

So I can't complain about the prednisone, so far it's drastically lowered the flaring i had on my very bad area.. left side of my jawline up to my cheek. I'm still getting breakouts, and I feel two small cysts surfacing :(.

I have a lot of redness around my acne as well, think I'm gonna try and apply ice to it every once in a while as I heard it helps for some. Really praying my acne calms down by this weekend for my 21st cry.gif

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 04/03/2013 8:15 pm

Actually thinking about applying some aloe vera gel. Has anyone had success with that and reducing redness from acne marks? The left side of my face isn't even THAT bad with acne anymore, it's just the redness from it that makes it look really bad. I've tried putting polysporin on it overnight but that doesn't seem to do anything

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 04/05/2013 6:39 pm

Day 36

*sigh* To anyone following, sorry all my posts seem to be so negative. Acne's REALLY gettin me down and I'm SO sick of getting up every morning being afraid to look in the mirror. It's just the worst its ever been and it couldn't have possibly come at a worse time..

A girl I like has been wanting to hang out and I always make up excuses to why I can't, as she hasn't seen me in a while and doesn't realize what this drug's actually doing to me so far, or that I'm even on it. My 21st birthday is on Sunday and I plan on being a ghost all day in my room.

I also have a nasty big inflamed nodule on my left cheek and I read up on cortisone shots. Called my dermatologist and they didn't have any available spots for me today and even called another, same story :(

I don't even know if I should tell people like the girl or close friends that I'm on it and what rewards I should expect to get from it in the end, because I'm scared to death that it may not even work for me. Even though I know I'm only a little over a month in..

ANYWAYS i'm gonna end this rant.. Time to hide in my room eusa_wall.gif

MemberMember

Posted : 04/05/2013 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Your 21st is a big deal but try to stay focused on the big picture, if you get great lasting results from the medication then these few rough weeks will all be worth it. And we are all our own toughest critics. Hang in there and happy early birthday! I think things will get better for you soon. =)

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 04/06/2013 9:11 pm

Thanks for the wishes everythingthatshimmers I hope things start lookin better soon too!!

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 04/10/2013 2:10 am

Day 44

Just a quick update. It seems that I'm starting to get an eye stye on my right eye, located under it. It hurts every time I blink and coincidentally I just had a checkup appointment with my dermatologist today, and BOOM later tonight i get this baby haha.

I read that it's most likely an accutane side effect, as it dries all the oils in your skin including your oil glands for your eyelids/eyes. I'm just going to apply some eye drops and apply a warm compress to it, hopefully it dies down soon!

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 04/15/2013 6:05 pm

Day 49 (7 Week Mark)

Hey everyone. So I decided to add pictures from before accutane, my 3 week point (roughly), and today. I'll continue posting pictures so it's easier to see any progress. Unfortunately right now it seems like things are still getting worse... Don't think there's really much progress from pictures.

WkQDuga.png

zdXr9vU.png

Only thing I can comment on is how my face feels SOMEWHAT smoother... Honestly besides my neck I don't even have that many pimples it seems, just more so red marks. I did just buy Eucerin Redness Relief in the cleanser, SPF, and night concealer so I'll see if that works.

I do have that VERY annoying huge bump right by my lip as you can see in that second picture. That is by far what's making my face look the worst. Kinda torn what to do with it to try and speed up the healing... Tea tree oil, aloe vera (store bought), polysporin... It's been like that for 3 days or so. Any ideas?

MemberMember
(@kidchicago)

Posted : 04/15/2013 8:28 pm

Your skin looks much much better! Obviously you still have some problem areas, and the one big cyst sucks I'm sure. But overally, there is significant and obvious progress.

For the cyst, I'd recommend icing it and using a sulfur topical. Clearisil makes one that is tinted and works well. It stinks, but it is a good coverup and I think it helps with cysts. Tea tree oil is also good for those, but don't overdo it or you might cause a bigger breakout. Use a little, once a day, and limit it to the cyst itself, without spreading it elsewhere.

MemberMember
(@tyrean)

Posted : 04/15/2013 9:16 pm

thanks kidchicago!

going to run to walgreens right now to get it haha. hopefully the cyst is a little smaller tomorrow morning!