Smoothie = Clearer ...

Notifications
Clear all

Smoothie = Clearer Skin

MemberMember
(@maggiev)

Posted : 03/01/2013 2:00 am

Like many of you, I've had acne since my early teen years. I'm in my late 30's now and although its been slightly better over the years my face and back are never completely clear. Lately my breakouts have been mostly around my lower jaw, under my chin area. I've tried it all, 2 rounds of Accutane, antibiotics, regular facials, tons of over the counter stuff, all with varying degrees of success but no real cure.

I decided it was time to get a little healthier. My weight has always been fine and I generally feel good but I thought eating a little better could only benefit me. I was not thinking of my skin at all when I started drinking one green smoothie daily but within a week my face started to clear up and every day since then it's been looking and feeling better and better. Soft and smooth and no new breakouts.

As a bonus I've lost some weight too and feel much more energized. After about 3 days I started craving this smoothie. I thought I was eating ok but I think my body was really needing more vitamins and nutrients.

I use a Kitchenaid blender to make this drink, its not anything fancy. To blender jar add:

Half cup of ice

About a cup of cold, filtered water

1 chopped celery stalk

Handful of spinach

A little bit of parsley

A quarter of a medium peeled and chopped cucumber

One small chopped red apple

Quarter of a peeled orange

Quarter of a peeled lemon

Start the blender on "chop" setting to get it going and then move to "puree" until everything is at a smoothie or juice consistency. Add more water if you need to. It will be very green but it honestly doesn't taste bad at all. The apple really helps sweeten it. You can also add a bit of canned pineapple or frozen pineapple chunks if you really want it to be sweet. Leave out the ice if you use frozen pineapple chunks.

Drink it immediately. It's better if its very cold and use a straw. I find that I drink it faster with a straw.

Good luck to you, this really helped me and I hope it helps you too.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/11/2013 10:09 pm

I noticed the same thing. I used to think people who drank smoothies for skin were a bit whacked. I started drinking them for general health and was surprised that it DID help with acne. It's no magic cure for me but it does help.

I notice a lot of your ingredients are foods that raise estrogen so it may be helping to balance your androgens.