Notifications
Clear all

Fed Up With Bad Lip Acne

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 02/28/2013 9:58 pm

I am a 25 year old man. I've dealt with bad acne for almost 7 years. However, now its in the worst place ever imaginable, all the time, and I miss the days of chin cysts. A year ago, I began getting pimples on the edge of my bottom lips that are disfiguring and embarrassing. These are not tiny little pimples that no one notices, these are very red, inflamed pimples and can be as big as pea sized red bumps that never come to a head, as well as some that do. I have very fair skin, so its very noticable. They have been getting worse and more common as the months pass.

I am now getting on average 6-10 of these things A MONTH! They scar badly, they hurt like hell, and then right as the last one finally goes away they break out on another part of my lips days later. It is safe to say that 15 out of the 30 days in a month I have a noticable, inflamed, red, active lip pimple. The other 2 weeks are like heaven because I know around the corner here comes another breakout.

Note: I will not go on accutane or oral antibiotics. I have used many prescriptions for the better part of 6 years when I was younger and it all made my acne much more severe in the end. I am considering some topical clindamycin again, but thats as far as i'll go.

My current skin care routine: I went back to my "go to" 10% BP face wash 2x a day after sulfur ointment recently broke me out even more. Although the BP face wash does nothing for my lip acne, I still use it. I'm afraid to stop anything completely. I tried dan's regimen for 6 months, hibiclens, sulfur, proactiv, you name it. I switched to all natural flouride free, sulfate free toothpaste months ago. I limit dairy and try to avoid processed foods and refined carbs. I'm at the end of my rope. I'm growing a beard out but because i'm young its taking forever for hair to grow under my bottom lip. My upper lip however has a thick mustache and for some reason I get almost no lip acne up there, but if I did it would cover it up.

I could care less if I have acne all over my neck, forehead, cheeks, chin, etc. at this point. I just want this damn lip acne to go away. It's the worst. Please, any advice you have, anything that you think may be causing it in this area or something that I could do to get rid of it or at least begin the healing process, please help.

Thank you so much and god bless.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/01/2013 1:51 pm

Google "perioral dermatitis".

Long story short, usually lip bumps like this are caused by a reaction to toothpaste, mouthwash, and/or chapstick / anything else that comes in regular contact with your lips or the inside of your mouth. You will need to change your toothpaste and mouthwash to something that is sulfate-free, fluoride-free, iodine-free, peppermint-free, wintergreen-free. The only toothpaste I know of that fits the bill is called Squigle.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/02/2013 4:30 am

Google "perioral dermatitis".

Long story short, usually lip bumps like this are caused by a reaction to toothpaste, mouthwash, and/or chapstick / anything else that comes in regular contact with your lips or the inside of your mouth. You will need to change your toothpaste and mouthwash to something that is sulfate-free, fluoride-free, iodine-free, peppermint-free, wintergreen-free. The only toothpaste I know of that fits the bill is called Squigle.

Thanks for the advice. My dermatologist has ruled out perioral dermatitis, as he says it usually occurs around the mouth, but rarely right upon the lip line. I also have horrible eruptions on my nose every few weeks and cysts on my neck so my acne seems to know no boundaries and is not just confined to my lips, although that is the area i'm most self conscious about.

I just got a prescription today for clindamycin gel, something I never thought i'd do again, but i'm desperate.

I do use aquaphor on my lips once a week or so, but I have also abstained for lip balms for weeks and the lip pimples still come back. My derm has told me the bacteria like these areas because of their warmth and moisture.

I just hope it goes away with the clindaymcin......of course after a few months I will have to give it up and find a regimen that works consistently that is not an antibiotic. I am hestitantly considering retin-A. Your thoughts?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/03/2013 12:42 am

In my experience Retin A is not a permanent solution. It is better for remodeling the skin after acne has ceased.

The mechanism by which it works does not prevent bacteria nor any other internal problem that causes acne. All it does is make the skin regenerate faster and rebuilds collagen. This can help clear up clogged pores, but if you have a hormonal or bacterial problem that's causing the infection in the first place, it doesn't help.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/03/2013 7:21 am

In my experience Retin A is not a permanent solution. It is better for remodeling the skin after acne has ceased.

The mechanism by which it works does not prevent bacteria nor any other internal problem that causes acne. All it does is make the skin regenerate faster and rebuilds collagen. This can help clear up clogged pores, but if you have a hormonal or bacterial problem that's causing the infection in the first place, it doesn't help.

So what does a person like me do?

I've read The Clear Skin Diet by Dr. Treloar. I have done a lot of holistic and natural lifestyle changes to no avail. I was hoping Retin-A would at least be the lesser of all evils and would enable me to avoid accutane but at least be clear enough to go to work. I'm losing work at this point, and my reputation. I work in real estate and showing up with huge pimples on the sides of your mouth on a weekly basis is not a good look. My self esteem is shot.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? This is not a sarcastic question, I need some good advice here. Again, thanks for your replies.

MemberMember
(@pursuitofbliss88)

Posted : 03/06/2013 3:25 pm

post-203902-0-45346400-1362601157_thumb.

post-203902-0-45346400-1362601157_thumb.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/06/2013 8:05 pm

Lostinfog,

What you are describing is exactly what I have been experiencing TO THE LETTER! I will note that I am a 24 yr old half black male, but rather fair skinned. I came across this blog last night and I think I added photos of the pimples, let me know if I messed up somewhere. I do not have very bad acne around the rest of my face ( I had moderate acne mostly ending a year ago), just the chronic lip line pimples and some white/blackheads. I use cetaphil for oily skin, 2x daily and duac 1-2x per week, that keeps my acne in check minus the lip line. I am going to my dermatologist next month. When I first came to him last year describing the pimples (one had just healed right before i saw him so nothing active to show him, should have photographed it back then) he gave me protopic cream, an immunosuppressant. It may have slightly sped the process, not noticeable, but didn't prevent any of them. I used tazorac and duac creams on them, (left over from when I had more spread out acne) but they leach onto my lips and make them extremely dry or burn them, requiring chapstick/lip balm, which i am trying to avoid. I now just use the duac sparingly, once I pop any of the pimples that come to head.

For now, I just pop them when I can (I know it scars but they will pop eventually anyways so i would rather control it), and make absolutely sure I get every bit of puss/bacteria/debre that might remain, nothing can be left or it comes right back then peroxide/duac cream. That has been the most successful process for elimination. As far as the ones that dont come to head or come to head slowly, I take asprin orally and mix some with water to spread on the pimple, and ice to relieve the pressure/pain and redness. It just make them less noticeable

The only thing that i have found to work effectively is doxycycline which i got only when i had 2 pea sized pimples at the same time.

As far as prevention, I have found that the longest gaps between the pimples comes when I avoid alcohol, no smoking, no refined sugar, reduce stress, and get 8 hrs of sleep every night; but I still get 1/month. I am going to try using the squigle toothe paste 3x a day. I am starting a routine adding daily multivitamins, fish oils, additive free lip balm (i have tried several I am now switching to petroleum jelly) and workout 4x per week; and be dedicated to being on point with every face wash and cleansing routine. For me, stress has the biggest impact, but it isn't the sort of thing you can just turn off and the pimples make it so much worse.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you find something that works!!!! Its seriously depressing.

What I find bizarre is that it just started out of nowhere... fml.

Sorry for grammatical errors i dont have the time to make all the corrections.

I am a 25 year old man. I've dealt with bad acne for almost 7 years. However, now its in the worst place ever imaginable, all the time, and I miss the days of chin cysts. A year ago, I began getting pimples on the edge of my bottom lips that are disfiguring and embarrassing. These are not tiny little pimples that no one notices, these are very red, inflamed pimples and can be as big as pea sized red bumps that never come to a head, as well as some that do. I have very fair skin, so its very noticable. They have been getting worse and more common as the months pass.

I am now getting on average 6-10 of these things A MONTH! They scar badly, they hurt like hell, and then right as the last one finally goes away they break out on another part of my lips days later. It is safe to say that 15 out of the 30 days in a month I have a noticable, inflamed, red, active lip pimple. The other 2 weeks are like heaven because I know around the corner here comes another breakout.

Note: I will not go on accutane or oral antibiotics. I have used many prescriptions for the better part of 6 years when I was younger and it all made my acne much more severe in the end. I am considering some topical clindamycin again, but thats as far as i'll go.

My current skin care routine: I went back to my "go to" 10% BP face wash 2x a day after sulfur ointment recently broke me out even more. Although the BP face wash does nothing for my lip acne, I still use it. I'm afraid to stop anything completely. I tried dan's regimen for 6 months, hibiclens, sulfur, proactiv, you name it. I switched to all natural flouride free, sulfate free toothpaste months ago. I limit dairy and try to avoid processed foods and refined carbs. I'm at the end of my rope. I'm growing a beard out but because i'm young its taking forever for hair to grow under my bottom lip. My upper lip however has a thick mustache and for some reason I get almost no lip acne up there, but if I did it would cover it up.

I could care less if I have acne all over my neck, forehead, cheeks, chin, etc. at this point. I just want this damn lip acne to go away. It's the worst. Please, any advice you have, anything that you think may be causing it in this area or something that I could do to get rid of it or at least begin the healing process, please help.

See my reply to the top below. I just joined last night when I came across your blog, so let me know if i didn't post correctly or something. Anyways, i have your exact same problem and want to cut my lips off because of how frustrating it is. I cant grow facial hair because of my work dress code, so its extremely stressful. I will give you any updates i get once i see my dermatologist next month.

Hey man,

Thanks for joining this website! Its good to be able to talk to people that are going through the same thing. It sucks we have been plauged by this! Acne is horrible, but LIP ACNE IS HELL! It is beyond depressing and believe me, I know exactly what you are going through. They make you want to just hide in a corner and avoid everyone until they are gone. They also hurt like no other acne I have experienced.

I talked to a few dermatologists over the last few months and they all say its safe to put clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide on my lips, so thats what i'm doing for now, and wait 1-2 hours before applying petroleum jelly. Sure my lips get dry and I think eating and drinking takes some of the medication off but what else am I supposed to do, I won't take oral medications. The dermatologists also say there is no explanation for their sudden occurance, although if I went to a naturopathic doctor or a holistic dermatologist (do they even exist), I bet they could give me some practical advice. Like you, I didn't get lip acne very much until about a year ago.....so I also sit here srcratching my head, why now? Why me?

It sucks you cant grow a beard or mustache, as I have grown a thick mustache at the top of my lip and for some strange reason I now get NO acne up there. Are you in the military? I found growing a mustache virtually solved it for my upper lip. I think that hair acts as a barrier from bacteria and irritation. Only problem is its difficult me to grow hair right under my bottom lip. I have a soul patch connecting with my beard under the center of my bottom lip, and acne does not occur much there. Yet under the corners of my mouth there is almost no hair yet, and thats where I get 99% of the lip acne.

I am a smoker, and I drink light beer (in moderation) every night after work. I am hesitant to stop these right now to see if it helps because 1: I am addicted to smoking and to be honest i already have acne now..... I don't want to add nicotine withdrawal on top of that and 2: I have been a smoker for 10 years and have been drinking beer ever since I was a teenager and I have only gotten bad lip acne in the last year.

One thing I have done is switched to a toothpaste 6 months back that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfates and irritants, only problem was I just realized 2 days ago that the all natural stuff I was using had carrageenan in it, a highly comedogenic ingredient. So I wonder if thats why even the natural toothpaste didn't help. So I ordered Squigle and it arrived today, but realized after the first use I didn't get the flouride free version....so I am going to give that one to my girlfriend and order the flouride free for myself.

I agree stress, exercise, etc is key to keeping these lip pimples down in number. I noticed its at its worst when I do not exercise or when I eat fast food. Also not getting enough sun and eating cheese/drinking milk seems to make my lip acne worse. Lastly, when I switch around products too much (like try 3 different products in a 3 week period) my lip acne worsens. For a while there I was eating very healthy-little dairy, whole grains, multivitamins diet...while exercising every day and the lip acne would come, but maybe once or twice a month at most, which was bad, but tolerarble for me compared to what I have now.

Now, since sitting in the house all the time, depressed, not exercising, sulking and being pissed off at the world, the pimples around my mouth get worse, last longer, and are more reccurant. I also tried sulfur and hibiclens and all sorts of BP combinations in the last month to no avail (although I probably quit them to early), so now I am sticking to this below.

Right now my regimen is:

Cerave hydrating cleanser. 2X a day

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% and Clindamycin phosphate solution mixed equally and applied to acne prone areas only. 2x a day after cleansing

100% petroleum jelly for lips only after 2 hours have passed from cleansing

Squigle toothpaste 2x a day (ordering the flouride free soon).

I think you and me should keep in touch bro. It seems we have very similar issues and it would be valuable if we shared info with each other about our progress.

I have to ask...did you ever have success with just doing nothing? Like just stopping all products? I've thought about it but i'm hesitant to try because I don't want it to get worse.

Also, ever tried just topical clindamycin gel without the BP?

I am using BP along with my topical antibiotic but BP burns the hell out of my skin and makes my nose beet red.

Also, do you only get the lip acne near the corners of your bottom lip, or also your upper? Where do you get them the most?

Read the Clear Skin Diet too, if you can, its a great book written by a dermatologist about diet and lifestyle and acne, etc. I really believe that ance and diet are related, like 50%-90% in cases. If you can get diet and lifestyle down you may still have some acne but it will be better. I am pissed i'm even on antibiotics again because it goes against everything I believe but this is only temporary to get over this recent flare up.

And get back to me in a PM, lets fight this thing to the death and win it! I know this post was long but I thought I would give you as much information as possible. PM me. Let's talk and get to the bottom of this.

MemberMember
(@pursuitofbliss88)

Posted : 03/09/2013 1:27 pm

Lostinfog,

What you are describing is exactly what I have been experiencing TO THE LETTER! I will note that I am a 24 yr old half black male, but rather fair skinned. I came across this blog last night and I think I added photos of the pimples, let me know if I messed up somewhere. I do not have very bad acne around the rest of my face ( I had moderate acne mostly ending a year ago), just the chronic lip line pimples and some white/blackheads. I use cetaphil for oily skin, 2x daily and duac 1-2x per week, that keeps my acne in check minus the lip line. I am going to my dermatologist next month. When I first came to him last year describing the pimples (one had just healed right before i saw him so nothing active to show him, should have photographed it back then) he gave me protopic cream, an immunosuppressant. It may have slightly sped the process, not noticeable, but didn't prevent any of them. I used tazorac and duac creams on them, (left over from when I had more spread out acne) but they leach onto my lips and make them extremely dry or burn them, requiring chapstick/lip balm, which i am trying to avoid. I now just use the duac sparingly, once I pop any of the pimples that come to head.

For now, I just pop them when I can (I know it scars but they will pop eventually anyways so i would rather control it), and make absolutely sure I get every bit of puss/bacteria/debre that might remain, nothing can be left or it comes right back then peroxide/duac cream. That has been the most successful process for elimination. As far as the ones that dont come to head or come to head slowly, I take asprin orally and mix some with water to spread on the pimple, and ice to relieve the pressure/pain and redness. It just make them less noticeable

The only thing that i have found to work effectively is doxycycline which i got only when i had 2 pea sized pimples at the same time.

As far as prevention, I have found that the longest gaps between the pimples comes when I avoid alcohol, no smoking, no refined sugar, reduce stress, and get 8 hrs of sleep every night; but I still get 1/month. I am going to try using the squigle toothe paste 3x a day. I am starting a routine adding daily multivitamins, fish oils, additive free lip balm (i have tried several I am now switching to petroleum jelly) and workout 4x per week; and be dedicated to being on point with every face wash and cleansing routine. For me, stress has the biggest impact, but it isn't the sort of thing you can just turn off and the pimples make it so much worse.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you find something that works!!!! Its seriously depressing.

What I find bizarre is that it just started out of nowhere... fml.

Sorry for grammatical errors i dont have the time to make all the corrections.

See my reply to the top below. I just joined last night when I came across your blog, so let me know if i didn't post correctly or something. Anyways, i have your exact same problem and want to cut my lips off because of how frustrating it is. I cant grow facial hair because of my work dress code, so its extremely stressful. I will give you any updates i get once i see my dermatologist next month.

Hey man,

Thanks for joining this website! Its good to be able to talk to people that are going through the same thing. It sucks we have been plauged by this! Acne is horrible, but LIP ACNE IS HELL! It is beyond depressing and believe me, I know exactly what you are going through. They make you want to just hide in a corner and avoid everyone until they are gone. They also hurt like no other acne I have experienced.

I talked to a few dermatologists over the last few months and they all say its safe to put clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide on my lips, so thats what i'm doing for now, and wait 1-2 hours before applying petroleum jelly. Sure my lips get dry and I think eating and drinking takes some of the medication off but what else am I supposed to do, I won't take oral medications. The dermatologists also say there is no explanation for their sudden occurance, although if I went to a naturopathic doctor or a holistic dermatologist (do they even exist), I bet they could give me some practical advice. Like you, I didn't get lip acne very much until about a year ago.....so I also sit here srcratching my head, why now? Why me?

It sucks you cant grow a beard or mustache, as I have grown a thick mustache at the top of my lip and for some strange reason I now get NO acne up there. Are you in the military? I found growing a mustache virtually solved it for my upper lip. I think that hair acts as a barrier from bacteria and irritation. Only problem is its difficult me to grow hair right under my bottom lip. I have a soul patch connecting with my beard under the center of my bottom lip, and acne does not occur much there. Yet under the corners of my mouth there is almost no hair yet, and thats where I get 99% of the lip acne.

I am a smoker, and I drink light beer (in moderation) every night after work. I am hesitant to stop these right now to see if it helps because 1: I am addicted to smoking and to be honest i already have acne now..... I don't want to add nicotine withdrawal on top of that and 2: I have been a smoker for 10 years and have been drinking beer ever since I was a teenager and I have only gotten bad lip acne in the last year.

One thing I have done is switched to a toothpaste 6 months back that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfates and irritants, only problem was I just realized 2 days ago that the all natural stuff I was using had carrageenan in it, a highly comedogenic ingredient. So I wonder if thats why even the natural toothpaste didn't help. So I ordered Squigle and it arrived today, but realized after the first use I didn't get the flouride free version....so I am going to give that one to my girlfriend and order the flouride free for myself.

I agree stress, exercise, etc is key to keeping these lip pimples down in number. I noticed its at its worst when I do not exercise or when I eat fast food. Also not getting enough sun and eating cheese/drinking milk seems to make my lip acne worse. Lastly, when I switch around products too much (like try 3 different products in a 3 week period) my lip acne worsens. For a while there I was eating very healthy-little dairy, whole grains, multivitamins diet...while exercising every day and the lip acne would come, but maybe once or twice a month at most, which was bad, but tolerarble for me compared to what I have now.

Now, since sitting in the house all the time, depressed, not exercising, sulking and being pissed off at the world, the pimples around my mouth get worse, last longer, and are more reccurant. I also tried sulfur and hibiclens and all sorts of BP combinations in the last month to no avail (although I probably quit them to early), so now I am sticking to this below.

Right now my regimen is:

Cerave hydrating cleanser. 2X a day

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% and Clindamycin phosphate solution mixed equally and applied to acne prone areas only. 2x a day after cleansing

100% petroleum jelly for lips only after 2 hours have passed from cleansing

Squigle toothpaste 2x a day (ordering the flouride free soon).

I think you and me should keep in touch bro. It seems we have very similar issues and it would be valuable if we shared info with each other about our progress.

I have to ask...did you ever have success with just doing nothing? Like just stopping all products? I've thought about it but i'm hesitant to try because I don't want it to get worse.

Also, ever tried just topical clindamycin gel without the BP?

I am using BP along with my topical antibiotic but BP burns the hell out of my skin and makes my nose beet red.

Also, do you only get the lip acne near the corners of your bottom lip, or also your upper? Where do you get them the most?

Read the Clear Skin Diet too, if you can, its a great book written by a dermatologist about diet and lifestyle and acne, etc. I really believe that ance and diet are related, like 50%-90% in cases. If you can get diet and lifestyle down you may still have some acne but it will be better. I am pissed i'm even on antibiotics again because it goes against everything I believe but this is only temporary to get over this recent flare up.

And get back to me in a PM, lets fight this thing to the death and win it! I know this post was long but I thought I would give you as much information as possible. PM me. Let's talk and get to the bottom of this.

Sorry i was MIA I was on a trip out of state. Lets definitely stick together on this one, there's a solution somewhere. I hadn't thought about changing my toothpaste before this blog so I'm going to try the squiggle, and I'll be sure to get the fluoride free. I hate the paranoia of wondering what minute factor could be the cause! I am also going to try using Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% and Clindamycin phosphate solution.

No, I am not in the military I am in fact in real estate. I work for a very strict real estate broker with extremely high standards. Fortunately for me, I am office admin for a real estate team, so I work with clients primarily over the phone. I am licensed but having this problem has killed my confidence so being an agent by myself is intimidating, having to present in front of clients with a mystery bump in my lip is daunting.

I seem to get these pimple on corners of my bottom lip and the front or corner of the top lip. Usually very randomized. I recommended the smoking and drinking out of desperation. From what I hear smoking isn't a factor, I smoke only after drinking on the weekends and have a couple of beers each weekend and a few during the week.

I take adderall and I thought that was the cause but I stopped it for a while with no change. Any thoughts on that?

My fear about antibiotics is that once I stop everything will get worse. And I don't know about stopping all products. I haven't really tried that, I'm always working for prevention but I would try pretty much anything.

Also, I'm going to check out what The Clear skin Diet has to offer.

Thanks for all your help! We're gonna figure this thing out!

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/09/2013 5:49 pm

Pursuit of bliss,

I am also in Real Estate! Who would have thought?

I work for my father as a property manager so I am kind of lucky I don't have to conform to a grooming code like most brokers. I mean I still wear business casual but I have somewhat long hair and a beard, neatly groomed.

By any chance do you also get cystic acne?

In the last week my lip acne has died down but yesterday my face blew up due to a cyst on my cheek, I mean blew the hell up like a chipmunk. I may have to get a cortisone shot for it, which I am not looking forward to.

Also, have you ever stopped everything you use and see if that helps?

I haven't used anything in the last few days but cleanser/moisturizer and antibiotics because I was afraid at first the cyst on my cheek was an allergic reaction to something in the products. As the swelling went down I could realize it was probably just that cyst. So this is like 2 days of my life without any bp or anything, and i'm seeing my skin lose its redness and flakiness. The antibiotics and bp mixture cleared my lip acne up in a week, but left my face a total mess of redness and flakiness. I'm reading a lot of threads about people who stopped using everything and let their skin build back of a defense and shed by itself like its supposed to and a lot of them stopped getting acne over time, or it improved. I hate to go back and forth using stuff, so I am kind of at a crossroads here. Do I just use a cleanser, do I just use a cleanser and spot treat with the clindamycin/bp, do I use everything, or nothing at all? I don't know...

Oh, and that Cetaphil your using has Sodium Lauryl sulfate in it. Or the other one, some type of sulfate. I'd ditch it for Cerave, which does not contain it. Although some people's lip acne isn't affected by SLS so it is really your call and dependent on how you react to those things.

MemberMember
(@yummyforeign)

Posted : 02/22/2014 11:36 am

How are you guys doing now? I've read this entire thread and I have the same problems. Started about 4 years ago, 1 little pimple on the top right corner of my mouth. Got one 6 months later, then another 5 months, then 3 months, then the next few a couple months...at this point its one after the other. One heals, next one pops up. I believe stress is a cause, and I do drink/eat A LOT of dairy (Milk, Yogurt, Cheese).

I use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Scrub, and that is it. I usually use Burts Bees chapstick, recently picked up Blistex cause the place didn't have any Burts and seems to made mine worse.

MemberMember
(@ariblanco)

Posted : 10/29/2021 11:51 pm

Trypanoxyl it working for me i just started last weekI been on and off for this for 3 about to be 4 yearsI feel ur pain