Notifications
Clear all

Rant Of The Day

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 02/28/2013 2:13 pm

Hello! Thank God for this website that I have discovered right about now. I just need to get this off my chest because my family thinks I am making a big deal about what happened today.

First, a bit about me. I am a 28 year old female on ortho cyclen and clyndoxil gel. I cannot take other BCPs and I am scared of accutane. I had the worst experience with my health when I was on spiro. Ortho cyclen has helped me in REDUCING the number of cystic acne on my face (Ortho also helped clear my back and chest). Specifically, before I used to have numerous bumps on my jaw and chin but now I get two to three on my CHIN. BUT, these two or three bumps are SO PAINFUL. For instance, before period, I will get one or two GIANT BUMPs on the chin that would be so hard to conceal. Then it takes a month for my skill to get rid of the bump when lo and behold another giant bump pops up. I am sick and tired of this. At the age of 28, I wanna think about building my career and personal life with someone special but yet I am preoccupied with my face.

Don't get me wrong my face is MUCH BETTER but it is not clear... one Disgusting BUMP just ruins the whole face...

Anyways, about today... I went to pick up my prescription (Ortho and Gel)... the pharmacist asks me: "Oh you use this BC for acne?" I say: yes. Then she says: "Yeah, i see a big bump on your chin". I say, "Yeah, that is the problem". Then she says: "Oh I also see acne scars on your CHEEKS... you must have had severe acne before... wow.." And then she made this "I feel so sorry for you" look. Guys, my jaw dropped... I have completely forgotted about my acne scars which are really not that bad but when she said that I wanted to cry. I just stood there motionless...

Now, in addition to being insecure about this disgusting bump, i am freaking out about my scars...

I just wanted to rant... You may hear this a lot but I am simply tired of waking up and looking in the mirror at my face and just being disgusted.

I have started taking saw palmetto... we will how this will go but I am not getting my hopes up. If saw palmetto does not work, I will just give up and accept that I will never have a clear face.

Thank you for reading this.

xoxo

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 02/28/2013 2:26 pm

That pharmacist was completely inappropriate! Honestly, you should report him/her. I would like to think that someone in that profession would be sensitive to ALL health issues, and certainly not comment on them! They must never have had a single pimple in their life, because anyone who has had acne would never do something like that. I know it's hard, but please try to not let it discourage you too much...don't let one rude and ignorant person affect you like that.

I am 32 years old and still struggle with cystic breakouts on my chin. I went to pick up my birth control and erythromycin gel at the pharmacy the other night and of course, the "hot pharmacist" was there. I'm a married woman, but no one wants to be face to face with anyone when their skin looks horrible, let alone someone as good looking as this guy. My chin was a mess, my attempts to cover it up that morning had worn off by this time. I couldn't even make eye contact with him. He is always so nice and pleasant, never once has made me feel insecure or embarrassed. I wish you could have had this guy when you picked up your scripts :)

Thank goodness for this site!

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:56 pm

Dear RJT623,

Thank you so much for your response. I am feeling much better... still shocked but better.

I wish I did have your pharmacist :). It may sound crazy but sometimes I feel that my battle with acne has made me a compassionate and sympathetic person. So there is a positive side to my plight.

Thank you once again!!

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 02/28/2013 8:32 pm

I agree that one positive thing that acne gives us is compassion and sympathy :). Whenever I see someone who is clearly suffering with acne (or any other visible ailment), my heart breaks for them :(

Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@bluemagic)

Posted : 03/02/2013 4:40 pm

Often people like that are self conscious about their own problem and try to deflect attention by pointing out other peoples issues, no matter how minor. Don't sink to their level, hold your head high and walk away

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/03/2013 8:15 pm

Honestly I would consider taking Accutane at a low dose. If you experience any "terrible" side effects while taking it you can go off of it immediately. Do you really want to be taking Pills, BP's and using creams for the rest of your adult life? With taking Accutane there is a 60% chance (or even higher) that you'll never have to deal with acne again. I know multiple people that have taken Acccutane (In the real world) and they're absolutely fine (no health problems) with beautiful clear gleaming skin.

I've been on Spiro since 2011 and it's only about 70% effective as I still get acne on my body but my face is fairly clear but like you, my body doesn't tolerate the drug all that well. I get terrible cluster headaches (that I never had before) am terribly lethargic and at times feel a bit dizzy. For this reason, despite my extreme fear of Accutane (just like you) I am thinking of finally taking it. I figure if I get any of the terrible side effects that I'm afraid of developing I'll go off the drug immediately. But it wouldn't hurt to try as I could finally get the acne bug out of my hair for good.

As my endocrinologist says I am not going to grow out of this (I'm 24 now and have had acne since I was 10) and you probably won't either for a very long time.

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 03/05/2013 4:28 pm

Honestly I would consider taking Accutane at a low dose. If you experience any "terrible" side effects while taking it you can go off of it immediately. Do you really want to be taking Pills, BP's and using creams for the rest of your adult life? With taking Accutane there is a 60% chance (or even higher) that you'll never have to deal with acne again. I know multiple people that have taken Acccutane (In the real world) and they're absolutely fine (no health problems) with beautiful clear gleaming skin.

I've been on Spiro since 2011 and it's only about 70% effective as I still get acne on my body but my face is fairly clear but like you, my body doesn't tolerate the drug all that well. I get terrible cluster headaches (that I never had before) am terribly lethargic and at times feel a bit dizzy. For this reason, despite my extreme fear of Accutane (just like you) I am thinking of finally taking it. I figure if I get any of the terrible side effects that I'm afraid of developing I'll go off the drug immediately. But it wouldn't hurt to try as I could finally get the acne bug out of my hair for good.

As my endocrinologist says I am not going to grow out of this (I'm 24 now and have had acne since I was 10) and you probably won't either for a very long time.

You know there are days when I really want to take accutane!! I think Spiro has left that fear in me. My face was amazing on spiro but i was fainting every other day, not to mention I would throw up almost every day while on it. People say that if you cannot tolerate Spiro, how will you handle accutane? My biggest fear is hair thinning. This is why I am hesitating... I am just scared to take that step... I understand what you are saying though. We will see how long I would be able to put up with this...

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/05/2013 4:48 pm

You know there are days when I really want to take accutane!! I think Spiro has left that fear in me. My face was amazing on spiro but i was fainting every other day, not to mention I would throw up almost every day while on it. People say that if you cannot tolerate Spiro, how will you handle accutane? My biggest fear is hair thinning. This is why I am hesitating... I am just scared to take that step... I understand what you are saying though. We will see how long I would be able to put up with this...

This is the thought that goes through my mind to. How on earth could I tolerate accutane "the chemotherapy drug" if I can't even stomach Spiro? I just don't know. I think I could at least "try" low dose accutane and see what happens. I'm afraid of developing Alopecia as well ... and apparently it can be permanent? but none of my friends that took accutane in their teens ever had any hair loss issues so that gives me a bit of comfort.

I noticed Spiro gave me a weird type of Tachycardia (heart palpitations) last year. It was like all of a sudden my heart rate would randomly increase dramatically and I'd feel as though I was going to literally faint, I kept crouching down inhaliing deeply trying not to pass out. Did you experience this too?

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 03/05/2013 6:25 pm

This is the thought that goes through my mind to. How on earth could I tolerate accutane "the chemotherapy drug" if I can't even stomach Spiro? I just don't know. I think I could at least "try" low dose accutane and see what happens. I'm afraid of developing Alopecia as well ... and apparently it can be permanent? but none of my friends that took accutane in their teens ever had any hair loss issues so that gives me a bit of comfort.

I noticed Spiro gave me a weird type of Tachycardia (heart palpitations) last year. It was like all of a sudden my heart rate would randomly increase dramatically and I'd feel as though I was going to literally faint, I kept crouching down inhaliing deeply trying not to pass out. Did you experience this too?

Hey darkheart!

YEP! That is exactly what I had.. sudden heart palpitations. Unlike you, I actually used to faint. Being on spironolactone was the worst for me. I struggled so much while being on it...I mean my skin was amazing (like 100% clear) but i could not do anything productive. I don't know if you experience this too: inability to become attentive. I had no energy to pay attention.

In my case, I saw my friends having both positive and negative experiences while on accutane. One of my friends got liver problems as a result and her thick hair became so thin! No she did not get it back. Her hair remained thin. But another friend had an amazing experience. Her acne did not come back... I am really torn and scared of taking accutane...

I know taking BP for the rest of my adult life is too much but at least I don't experience horrible side effects. And i don't have body acne just chin acne (and now disgusting temple acne ). Also, I am taking saw palmetto pills now... they are herbal alternatives of spiro... I have been taking for over three weeks. I will let you know if it helps to get rid of my disgusting chin acne or at least reduce their size. Apparently, it works after a month or three.

ttys!!!