Notifications
Clear all

The Shocking Cure To My Facial Acne

MemberMember
(@cynic2005)

Posted : 02/28/2013 12:07 pm

Hello,

I've had moderate acne for many years and have been acne free for quite some time now. I just wanted to share my own cure, which has worked for my own acne but may not work for others.

As an undergrad student taking biology courses, I had learned about the sebaceous glands that produce oil within our skin. This oil serves to protect the skin, and contains enzymes that destroy bacteria. Your skin also has an acidic pH level, which serves to protect the skin.

In addition, your body undergoes many processes to maintain homeostasis. Homeo means "same", and stasis means "control" in Greek. Essentially, your body must keep itself tightly balanced, whether it is body temperature, or the pH level within your skin. Imbalance can lead all sorts of problems, and even death in certain cases.

In concern to my acne, I tried all sorts of things over the years, from washing my face several times a day, to using various over-the-counter products. I had even tried one product, which promised to eliminate acne, but burned my face. Luckily the chemical burns were superficial and did not cause scarring.

Using my knowledge of both biology and pharmacology, I decided to experiment with my acne, and discovered a shocking cure: not washing my face.

Of course I still wash my face. I have to shave every morning. But if I wash my face directly, I do so sparringly. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but this is what eliminated my acne. I have been acne free for quite some time as a result.

The reason why I tried this was because of what I had learned in school. Your body has its own natural defenses. What if washing your face continuously with chemically treated water and applying all sorts of chemicals actually destroyed your body's own defenses?

In my case, I believe that is exactly what tap water and all those drugs were doing to my face.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:13 pm

you are right, throwing your skin off balance can lead to all these problems such as acne etc. You can't scrub/wash away your acne. all these presciption drugs docs gave me either burned my face, made me look like i was constantly red, and made the situation worse. your skin has to be balanced, if it suspects an irritation or doesnt like all these chemicals that are pushed on us by docs and stuff, it just flares up.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:24 pm

This is why I've been transitioning to natural, gentler products. I've been washing my face with black soap and moisturizing (at night) with shea butter. i wish i could use the shea during the day, but I find, if I use it at night, my face is moisturized enough to just go with my sunscreen during the day. i actually believe the shea helps the acne clear faster. It's greasy feeling but great for the skin. The black soap has shea too. It's a bit drying at first but once you get through the initial few weeks, your skin adjusts to the black soap.

XXYY liked
MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:24 pm

This is why I've been transitioning to natural, gentler products. I've been washing my face with black soap and moisturizing (at night) with shea butter. i wish i could use the shea during the day, but I find, if I use it at night, my face is moisturized enough to just go with my sunscreen during the day. i actually believe the shea helps the acne clear faster. It's greasy feeling but great for the skin. The black soap has shea too. It's a bit drying at first but once you get through the initial few weeks, your skin adjusts to the black soap.

I'm on the same boat, african black soap is awesome! but doesnt the shea butter clog your pores at all?

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:36 pm

I'm on the same boat, african black soap is awesome! but doesnt the shea butter clog your pores at all?

I haven't had any issues with the shea butter. It would be the perfect moisturizer if it didn't leave the skin so shiny.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/01/2013 2:37 am

hi guys! i've been on dan's regimen for a little over a month using store bought products my skin is getting really really clear. only a few dark sports left.

did it work for you guys and then back fire in the long run?

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 03/01/2013 2:48 am

me tooo...... i didn't tell my derm that i've ditched those things he prescribed for me, wash,toner.....

i'm trying to eliminate most chemicals in my regimen so much so that i've been making my own toner. and i've noticed great changes.

i also use a kojic acid soap that only has 4 ingredients and has vit c. i've also been applying some freshly squeezed lemon or calamondin after applying my toner, before moisturizing.

still am trying to modify my diet, but lately i've been eating junk...haha (haven't done that in a long while) but i always make sure to HYDRATE!!!!!....