Clear all

My First Accutane Log

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 02/28/2013 11:38 am

Hi,

Name: Michael

Edu: College (First year)

Acne Level: Low to Moderate ( Sometime Cystic, but rarly since I changed my diet)

Past treatments: S. acid, BP, Doxy Cyc, Joba Scrubs, Aloe Gel, BHA, AHA

Hobbies: Cooking, Weight Lifting, Eating food, Games.

Accutane Start: 2/28/13

Accutane End: N/A

Why Accutane?

I've not tried basic treatments for acne from the derm because of the sheer cost, thus I've invested the little money I have into the one treatment that is suppose to work.

How has Acne Affected me personally?

I've had the acne since early middle school. It was never really a major problem back then, but as I got older it changed a lot and got worse to the point that I began to worry about it more than school and friends. I've stayed in doors often and I do try to keep in and stick online at times that I can. Acne has overall killed my self confidence with woman, reduced my motivation to work out and lift wights, Affected how often I show up to college and the list can go one forever.

Bodybuilding Info/About me? (interesting read)

Let me start with some basic knowlege in BB. It requires Nutrition and the ability to never give up. Those are the two key factors that make muscle grow and thrive. BB requires in nutrition a lot of food in order to grow, this is called a surplus. Meaning that you wil be gaining weight, a mixture of fat and muscle fiber. There is no way to gain muscle, without gaining fat. I've always held a good "ability to never give up", but acne is the ONE thing that has caused me to skip my routine work outs. I've always gone to the gym during headaches, pains and survived everything, but acne is that one sheer factor that kills me. Now for nutrition, A surplus of food is needed, Meaning I must eat a certain amount of calories (energy) every day in order to grow. The calories are derived from the 3 Main nutrients: Fats, Carbs, Proteins. Most people Bulk (Gain surplus) on carbs, which mainly come from fruits, veggies, grains and dairy. Bulking on Carbs is the best because of the inexpensive cost and the food is great and it is one of the best fuels for lifting. Fats, They are a 'older' version of energy for our body. People do not mainly use fats as a fuel source, this is usually a last restort. Fueling the body on fats will result in a state of Ketosis or fat burning, this is a major help in the weight loss process. Protein, This is the WORST fuel source for the body. It is required to repair muscle tissue and it should not be used as energy. Do not ever bulk on protein. The body chooses which of these 3 fuels sources to use. It picks accordingly to which has been ingested the most. It is best to find out which you have ingested the most by keeping food logs.

Acne and my diet?

Acne seems to be affected by my diet. I've tried many diffrent test foods for months.

~First Diet: Eating Less of random Foods.

Why: Less food = Less energy = Less sebum = Less acne

Result: Improved skin, but very tired and non happy mood.

~Second Diet: Bulking ( eating lots) of Meat/Fats.

Why: More Meats/Fats = Less Carbs/Sugar = Less stress on insulin = Less acne

Result: Very little Cystic Acne, but acne still remains (Minor)

~Third Diet: Bulking on Fruits/Veggies.

Why: More Fruits/Veggies = Helps skin improve? = Lots of high carbs/Sugar = More acne

Result: Acne seems to be worse, I'm not sure how people say these foods help. Maybe Moderation was the key.

* I've kept a food log for everything I've eaten for the past year. This diet is how it affects me, it may not be the same for you.

Path way:

-5 Month Total-

-Month1: 40Mg (1 Pill)

-Month2: 60Mg (3 Pills)

-Month3: 80Mg (2 pills)

-Month4: 80Mg (2 pills)

-Month5: 80Mg ( 2 pills)

-Month6: 40Mg ( 1 Pill)

-Month7: Chemical Peel for redness and left over

Overall Result: N/A

Quick Summary:

-Month1:

Slow month. Failed first Blood test, but passed the second. Acne was "semi" bad at first, but it took about a few weekes to clear that up. Got maybe 5 Pimples total as IB during the month and thats it. The pimples went away within days, but the red marks lasted about 1-2 weeks, which is annoying, but its alright. The end of the month I'm currently looking my best and clear!! TY 40Mg

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 02/28/2013 12:24 pm

Day1:

2/27/13

Took my First pill with some fruits. Derm suggested I avoid fat foods. I also stocked up on Aquapor for my lips. After taking the pill, my lips seemed slightly dry, but my face doesn't feel dry whatsoever. I have no break out yet like some people say does happen. Not much to say yet, lets just see how it results the next morning. Going to sleep early. No Gym today, Just going to ease it out and relax.

Q: Does anyone know when the affects of accutane begin to occur? I don't seem to be having any issues so far at all.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:15 pm

I just started my course two days ago so we're in the same boat! Best of luck to you!

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:17 pm

Day2:

2/28/13

Took pill in the morning early. Not feeling any dryness or lip problems yet. Things are going good for once.

I need to stop taking accutane till I get my blood redrawn (Monday or 3 days from now). What do you guys think I should do? Stop? I have no idea why my liver is having problems. I eat healthy and take all my vitamins...

~I'm worried now. What if my blood tests for liver come about bad again. I've worked so hard to get on accutane. If I lose it because of this I'm going to lose my mind sad.png I'm goona try to eat Only fruits, veggies, Water, Protein Shakes, Eggs For the next 3 days. Anymore tips on how to lower liver count FAST?

MemberMember
(@lookitsme)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:32 pm

Sorry to hear about your blood test :(

Did you recently do any heavy drinking or anything before your test? And you fasted, right?

I know it may be tempting to lower your count, but you really need to eat what you traditionally eat. Even if you're able to artificially lower your numbers now, they may be dangerously high throughout the rest of your Accutane course. I would not recommend it.

MemberMember
(@cheezycakes)

Posted : 02/28/2013 7:47 pm

Go ahead and listen to your doctor. It's obviously not the accutane as I assume you got your blood drawn before taking the first dose.

As far as when you'll feel the effects, it won't be in the first day. It'll take a while for the accutane to build up significant concentration in your bloodstream. I would guess 2 weeks before you feel any difference in terms of your skin. Don't be surprised if you break out a little.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 02/28/2013 7:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your blood test sad.png

Did you recently do any heavy drinking or anything before your test? And you fasted, right?

I know it may be tempting to lower your count, but you really need to eat what you traditionally eat. Even if you're able to artificially lower your numbers now, they may be dangerously high throughout the rest of your Accutane course. I would not recommend it.

It's worth it. I'm going to have my Blood test redone in 3 days. I'm trying to lower the count.

My first test:

-I drank protein shakes 2 days before

-I lifted heavy weights and felt soreness for 2 days before

-I take a LOT of vitamins. I mean over 37,000+ IU of Vitamin A alone.

There are many factors that could have contributed to my high ALT test in the blood. I did not know this before.

(researched this for several hours)

Next test:

-Fruit/Veggies Diet Only for 3 days

-Lots of water Only

-Going to eat at a deficit in calories

-No supplements

-No vitamins at all

-No working out

-Lots of sleep

-Skipping Protein for 3 days

What do u guys think? Will this 3 days process make a diffrence in my Blood work? I got it at 100 ALT, but I need to go down to 50ish. Maybe I should fast? Some one please help sad.png

PS: They said my HDL and LDL was fine and good, just that stupid ALT. I've never had a history of any health issues other than acne as well, so there should not be any way that my liver is messed up. I'm very healthy and I work out reguarly. These tests are just ugh...

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/01/2013 12:31 am

IMO don't risk it if your acne is mild dood..

Regarding your diet, were you on a 100 % grass fed diet with the meats? Which fats were you eating?

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/02/2013 12:10 pm

IMO don't risk it if your acne is mild dood..

Regarding your diet, were you on a 100 % grass fed diet with the meats? Which fats were you eating?

Normally this would be my avg diet: 3,000 Calories: 1 Tube of ground turkey, 2 Eggs, 1 Protein Shake, 10+ Bannanas, Maybe 5-7+ Oranges, Few apples/Pears, Multivitamins, Skin support vitamins, Vitamin A supp tablet, Vitamind C tablet, Calcium Tablet, 2 Fish oil pills.

~I eat this diet because i need a surplus to gain muscle. My doc said that it might have been from the Protein shake, Vitamin A Dosage or the weight lifting 2 days before the test. I've never had liver problems, so IDK.

PS: My acne is..well I suppose it's not terrible, but the problem is that its so consistant that its killer. I swear I wake up every morning with a new pimples, Either small or large. It's just a nonstop cycle and no matter how many times I change my diet from this to that, nothing ever stops the acne from ariseing. I need this accutane to put a stop to it once and for all. Also, the red spots are annoying since I'm fair skin tone :( I look like a clown.

Day3:

3/1/13

No accutane today. Still waiting till Monday. I'm getting really concerned. I'm not sure if it's something I'm eating, but I've been off accutane for 1 day and I've got a large pimple out of the blue on my left cheek. I hope it goes away. Gotta go to work now, this will be fun...

Day 4:

3/2/13

No accutane today too. Stil going to wait till monday and really hope that blood test passes. I need to lower that ALT from 100 to some what in the 50s. Been strict with the diet. Eating No meats or fats, just eating fruits and veggies and eating them at a deficit. Hopefully this will help me out. Seems though, that the fruit isn't clearning my skin very much, its just making from acne come up. Is it the withdrawl from accutane or the fruit?? Regardless, I bought a peach scrub for dead skin. This is my favorite now, Used it twice today and its FANtastic and smells great :)

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/05/2013 1:51 pm

Day 5:

BACK ON ACCUTANE. THe only problem I had with my blood test was my ALT. Now it's back in the range of 43!!! I'm so happy now. Can't wait to get this process up and going and then be clear within a few months :D.

PS: Skin is back to being oily, Eyes seem to be acting up. Few pimples and minor redness. Nothing too bad now. My doctor said to lessen my Protein intake, but Idk how this is going to work for BB. :l

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/08/2013 4:25 pm

day 7:

Nothing much to say on this day. My eyes hae been buggin me a little, but I don't think its from tane. So far so good.

Day8:

Light acne on the center my forehead and on my left cheek near eye and near low left lip. :l When tis this beter?

Day9:

New pimple on Cheek. My skin is still oily. when is the dryness suppose to kick in dang.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/16/2013 8:20 am

week 1.5:

been noticing acne is much less. i've still benn breaking out thouhgh, but the pimples go away veery fast and are very minor. the dryness still has had no effect on me. my oilly skin feels reduced, but not dry. i wonder if 40mg is not enough?

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/16/2013 4:20 pm

Day Idk:

Lips are finally feeling a bit chapped. Got one small pimple near nose. The Derm said not to use BP or Sal. Acid on the acne during the accutane treatment. I've been following his instructions, but I've read online thats its ok. Should I use it or not?? Also, I've found out that the best way to handle a pimple during tane without BP/Acid is to use this product called a 'zeno'. Its a heating devive that flattens the pimple and kills the bacteria. It makse ur skin appear red for a long time ( hours), but it helps aslong as u use it serveral times. This is good. Time to put aquapor. :P

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/19/2013 6:40 pm

day 17:

Very light acne on side of cheek. Decent sized pimple on the side of my head and one small pimple near my lower eye. Idk whats goin on. Accutane seems to not be helping. I mean its been quite some time now :l

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/21/2013 1:59 am

DAMN, 10 bananas a day?

Good luck on accutane

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/21/2013 10:10 am

DAMN, 10 bananas a day?

Good luck on accutane

Yea or More. It's not too bad. Fruit always taste good and its hard to get sick of the sugary taste of it :), but things like pizza, cereal.. Man I miss that the MOST. Thats the main reason im going on tane.

day19:

Pimples near eye + 1 near forehead reduced size and healing in process. So far so good. Also, I just started to use Sal acid scrub now. I know my derm said not too, but I feel its helping out a lot and my face isnt that dried out or red from it. Good stuff.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 03/21/2013 11:55 am

Accutane, as strong as it is, takes some time to kick in, yes there are some people that start noticing a difference within a week but a lot of people don't start noticing a change until after a month, hang in there. :)

If your acne isn't severe, don't go over 40 mg.

day 17:

Very light acne on side of cheek. Decent sized pimple on the side of my head and one small pimple near my lower eye. Idk whats goin on. Accutane seems to not be helping. I mean its been quite some time now :l

MemberMember
(@tracy1971)

Posted : 03/21/2013 12:51 pm

I'm on 40mg as well. My acne seems like yours as well. Not horrible but consistant. Always always had acne on my chin. Got to about day 36 and boom, acne all gone. No IB at all, side effects mostly back/body pain, mild flaking of face. I started using Cetaphil and that is gone. So far I have zero complaints just can't wait to get done so I can get some sun!!

Day 61

40 mg Myorisan

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/21/2013 6:17 pm

Accutane, as strong as it is, takes some time to kick in, yes there are some people that start noticing a difference within a week but a lot of people don't start noticing a change until after a month, hang in there. smile.png

If your acne isn't severe, don't go over 40 mg.

day 17:

I don't have "acne" as in groups, but I get pimples that are decent sized all too often. It varies usually on what I eat. So im on tane to clear this mess up. I sorta recall my doc saying hes giving me 60mg next month though.. Im suprised u say dont go above 40mg

I'm on 40mg as well. My acne seems like yours as well. Not horrible but consistant. Always always had acne on my chin. Got to about day 36 and boom, acne all gone. No IB at all, side effects mostly back/body pain, mild flaking of face. I started using Cetaphil and that is gone. So far I have zero complaints just can't wait to get done so I can get some sun!!

Day 61

40 mg Myorisan

What is ur diet consisting of? When u say u have it similar like me, u make me curious :o. Post 1 picture? Ill post too I suppose soon

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 03/21/2013 6:30 pm

I don't have "acne" as in groups, but I get pimples that are decent sized all too often. It varies usually on what I eat. So im on tane to clear this mess up. I sorta recall my doc saying hes giving me 60mg next month though.. Im suprised u say dont go above 40mg

Docs give out accutane like candy these days, if your "acne" isn't cystic and just pimples, you don't need anything above 40 mg, the lower dose will have the same effect while minimizing the risk of side effects.

MemberMember
(@tracy1971)

Posted : 03/22/2013 6:13 pm

My diet consist of pretty much anything I decide to eat:( I only weigh 100lbs so I have never really had to watch my weight. I would say I eat an acidic diet as I love salt and pickles, peppers, lemons, etc hate sweets mostly. Honestly I don't know how I am even on Accutane as my acne was mild it just was ALWAYS there. Nothing I tried ever worked, I "worked" on my pimple or pimples every day trying to defeat them but then another one would just pop up as soon as I was getting rid of the first. All that said, I am still thankful to be on it. Sitting here with a clear complexion so I really can't post a pic. I am a wiz at covering up acne so earlier photos don't really show the truth and no way I would allow my photo be taken with no make up on. Heck, no way I would allow anyone around me with no make up on.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/22/2013 6:57 pm

My diet consist of pretty much anything I decide to eat:( I only weigh 100lbs so I have never really had to watch my weight. I would say I eat an acidic diet as I love salt and pickles, peppers, lemons, etc hate sweets mostly. Honestly I don't know how I am even on Accutane as my acne was mild it just was ALWAYS there. Nothing I tried ever worked, I "worked" on my pimple or pimples every day trying to defeat them but then another one would just pop up as soon as I was getting rid of the first. All that said, I am still thankful to be on it. Sitting here with a clear complexion so I really can't post a pic. I am a wiz at covering up acne so earlier photos don't really show the truth and no way I would allow my photo be taken with no make up on. Heck, no way I would allow anyone around me with no make up on.

Lol I don't get it. You say you have few "pimples", but would not allow anyone to see you with no makeup? Eh. It reminds me of myself haha. I just get a few pimples, but none theless it bugs me alot when people look at u. I'm a guy and I'm not going to lie, but I HAVE tried concealer before. Its the furthest I would EVER go down the makeup path lol, but I'm not going to lie and say that it wasnt great. In ways It make me feel lower to wear it sometimes, but eh Idk. I jsut hope this tane works. Im sitting with like 3 "light" pimples and they can be covered up, but the fact that they are there annoys me. I'll post some pictures soon, sometime within the up coming week.

MemberMember
(@tracy1971)

Posted : 03/22/2013 7:14 pm

Sadly, if I only had one pimple I would just rather stay home than go out with friends. I would just tell them I was sick(in the head definitely) anyway, I am very sensitive to having any acne on my face. I only became this way in the past two years, wasn't like this before. Must be getting a divorce that changed my way of thinking or something, idk.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/23/2013 3:39 pm

Sadly, if I only had one pimple I would just rather stay home than go out with friends. I would just tell them I was sick(in the head definitely) anyway, I am very sensitive to having any acne on my face. I only became this way in the past two years, wasn't like this before. Must be getting a divorce that changed my way of thinking or something, idk.

I know. I unfortunlty still live with my mom at the moment at age 19 and shes so unsupportive over this stuff. She thinks that I should be locked up in the loonatic bin because i freak out over like 1 or 2 pimples as a guy. Shes never had it before, so she doesn't know the feeling. I tried to explain it to her, but she just won't change her mind. I'm basically on my own on this, except with the help of the community on this site :).

Day 21:

Curently at my BEST. No acne at all. Zero pimples, almost no redness, jsut a tad bit of dry skin. No dry lips. My face for some reason though looks slightly oil, but it doesnt feel oily. How odd. I been using a acne 2% sal scrub with beads also to help tame the acne, its been doing great!! im pretty excited. What should i do O_O???

MemberMember
(@tracy1971)

Posted : 03/24/2013 9:38 am

I know. I unfortunlty still live with my mom at the moment at age 19 and shes so unsupportive over this stuff. She thinks that I should be locked up in the loonatic bin because i freak out over like 1 or 2 pimples as a guy. Shes never had it before, so she doesn't know the feeling. I tried to explain it to her, but she just won't change her mind. I'm basically on my own on this, except with the help of the community on this site :).

Day 21:

Curently at my BEST. No acne at all. Zero pimples, almost no redness, jsut a tad bit of dry skin. No dry lips. My face for some reason though looks slightly oil, but it doesnt feel oily. How odd. I been using a acne 2% sal scrub with beads also to help tame the acne, its been doing great!! im pretty excited. What should i do O_O???

What should you do? About the oil look? Well I would just use mineral makeup(powder) but you are a male so idk but I went through a stage early on where I got oily after starting accutane which was odd because I have always had dry skin. It passed though.