Notifications
Clear all

How To Gain Muscle Mass While On An 'acne Diet'?

MemberMember
(@0mfg)

Posted : 02/28/2013 3:23 am

i'm a girl but i'm too skinny so i'm trying to gain muscle

unfortunately i dont see any gains while low carbing, in fact ive lost weight (lost fats)

right now i dont have any pimples, i only have to deal with sine post inflammatory marks and minor scarring

i think im fine with brown rice and oatmeal, but im not okay with milk. stuff like yogurt and cheese are fine too.

can i just eat a lot of sweet potato or will that backfire cos too much carbs? and what can i use for a protein shake, like any protein powders that do not aggravate acne / alternatives? thank you!

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:34 am

If you want to gain mass and not just turn your existing fat into muscle, you need to be eating a lot of calories. Start counting about how many calories you eat, try to get at least 2500-2700 a day. Make sure to eat some healthy fat, since it has a lot of calories. For carbs, just see how much you can tolerate without breaking out. Do you break out from high glycemic load meals?

I drank a pea protein shake for a while, and it's hypoallergenic, so it shouldn't cause acne. There are also rice, egg, hemp, and soy protein powders, if you don't want to drink whey. I just switched back to whey protein because it's a little cheaper and I don't think it breaks me out.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 02/28/2013 7:09 am

If you want to gain mass and not just turn your existing fat into muscle, you need to be eating a lot of calories. Start counting about how many calories you eat, try to get at least 2500-2700 a day. Make sure to eat some healthy fat, since it has a lot of calories. For carbs, just see how much you can tolerate without breaking out. Do you break out from high glycemic load meals?

I drank a pea protein shake for a while, and it's hypoallergenic, so it shouldn't cause acne. There are also rice, egg, hemp, and soy protein powders, if you don't want to drink whey. I just switched back to whey protein because it's a little cheaper and I don't think it breaks me out.

2500-2700 is a bit excessive for a girl especially a skinny one. I'd just add around 400 calories to what you're currently consuming and Stick to a 5x5 program and maybe add some sprints.

MemberMember
(@f93d)

Posted : 02/28/2013 5:44 pm

Avocado, extra virgin olive oil, raw coconut butter, raw cocao

Easy +1k calories / day. Unfortunately, not very appetizing.

MemberMember
(@0mfg)

Posted : 03/01/2013 5:30 am

today i had one serving of brown rice for breakfast, with salmon and tuna salad.

had some soy milk (im ok with it) after working out

and 2 slices of wholemeal bread + chicken breast after that,

one hour later, had half a serving of brown rice with another chicken breast and another serving of vegetables

going to eat the remaining half serving of brown rice with some fish and tuna a few hours later

and just stick to meat and vegetables before i sleep

and i can use fats for bulking???

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 03/01/2013 8:40 am

Russian Bear if can take dairy. 10lbs of muscle in 1 month. Worked for me and all my friends till I had to stop because of dairy. Not understanding your orginal post, you are not okay with milk, but are okay with yogurt and cheese? Cheese is made from milk? eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/01/2013 2:08 pm

I find that trying to gain weight or lose weight is mostly a hormonal battle, not a diet one. Someone with high testosterone can eat all the food in the world and stay skinny. Someone with low testosterone can eat like a bird and still get fat.

There are some foods that can subtly change your hormonal balance to help you gain. You probably need a little more estrogen in your hormonal balance. There are some foods with phytoestrogens that can help that.

The best source of dietary phytoestrogen is flaxseed, with a whopping 379,380 mcg per 100 g

Other seeds and nuts high in phytoestrogens include sesame seeds with just over 8,000 mcg per 100 g; pistachio nuts with about 380 mcg; sunflower seeds, chestnuts and pistachios with about 200 mcg; and almonds with about 130 mcg per 100 g. Other good sources include walnuts, cashews and hazelnuts.

Lentils and navy, kidney, pinto and fava beans. Hummus, made from chickpeas, contains phytoestrogens, and split green and yellow peas also are sources.

Many vegetables contain phytoestrogens. Winter squash, green beans, collard greens, broccoli and cabbage all provide about 80 to 100 mcg per 100 g.

Soy contains a lot of phytoestrogen, but many people have bad reactions to soy, so I would stay away.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/01/2013 4:09 pm

and i can use fats for bulking???

Yes, definitely eat some fat. Fat won't make you fat, only extra calories will. And for skinny people, extra calories will only make you fat if you are not working out and turning them into muscle.