Notifications
Clear all

Thinking Of Switching From Proactiv To Murad

MemberMember
(@kevb92)

Posted : 02/28/2013 12:34 am

I've been on proactiv since i was about 15, i'm 20 now. It worked for me fine until i was 18, which was when i started to get acne scars. I've been on and off with it since then, trying other OTC products that didn't really work as well, to even using the proactiv gentle version. It seems to be the only thing that works for me, i guess my skin is used to BP, however i don't like how it's leaving my skin. I would like to see if i could switch over to Murad, or another product that doesn't contain BP. I also think salicylic acid breaks me out? Not completely sure but i have suspicion.

Another thing, i've been on Murad's Pure Skin supplements since about december. However, i can't really tell if im getting results. I mean i think i did when i finished the first bottle, but i was on vacation when i finished it and couldn't purchase it again until about 3 weeks later. I just finished a second bottle, but my skin has been sort of breaking out, so im not sure.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:08 am

I started using Proactiv as my skin care routine along with Retin-A since the early 2000's (2001-). I find when I was around 19 years old or 20 my skin started to look overly raw from it and it was having damaging effects on my skin. I believe your skin starts getting slightly thinner into adulthood (according to my Derm) which can make those "teenage acne products" (Proactiv, Clearasil, clean and clear) terribly irritating.

You know, honest to God the Clinique "three step system" is not bad as a skin care routine for adult skin and is also quite cheap. Origins is great too (but can be pricey). I like to mix and match from different brands to create my own routine. I use Sephora Brand cleansing water (to remove my makeup), Cetaphil sensitive skin cleanser, Origins zero oil toner, Philosophy "take a beath" oil free gel ceam moisturizer and presciption retin-a (as my treatment).

If your skin is very sensitive I suggest looking into getting your skin care products fom a health food store like nutrition house or wholefoods. These stores have an *entire* selection of organic acne skin care products that are non irritating.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/28/2013 7:41 am

go to a derm and get professional help

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:57 pm

Murad is not the skin soothing product it's made out to be in the infomercials. Quite the opposite in fact. And if/when you have a bad reaction to the product, they will tell you to keep going. This can result in serious long term damage to your face. Any product that causes this extreme 'purging' is not natural, and despite what they tell you, should not be happening. The skin is reacting negatively, not purging. It's very frustrating to see that word being abused by so many skin care companies. And when you're left with severe acne that you didn't have before, Murad can't do anything for you, so my advice is to not even go there. There are plenty of natural topical solutions available. And your real battle against acne is going to be fought internally.

Read these before doing so, if you choose to switch.

http://www.acne.org/murad-acne-complex-reviews/93/page1.html

MemberMember
(@kevb92)

Posted : 02/28/2013 11:28 pm

Thank you guys. I think i'll consider going to a derm before making a decision on switching over. Seems like the best idea.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/04/2013 5:13 am

Having been on proactiv, I can say that the BP in it was what helped. I am not doing Dan's Regimen and have been on it for 7 weeks now.

I feel it is a more fine tuned regimen than proactiv and if you have the patience, will take your skin a long way. I skin has never felt and looked this clear.

MemberMember
(@kevb92)

Posted : 03/06/2013 2:22 pm

Having been on proactiv, I can say that the BP in it was what helped. I am not doing Dan's Regimen and have been on it for 7 weeks now.

I feel it is a more fine tuned regimen than proactiv and if you have the patience, will take your skin a long way. I skin has never felt and looked this clear.

Hey, what exactly is Dan's Regimen? Sorry i haven't really been here for long.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 03/06/2013 5:25 pm

It really depends on what kind if acne you have. If you have a lot of clogged pores like blackheads and closed comedones the Murad acne skin care line can help. Murads line of skin care has salicylic acid in it and is great for non inflamed acne. Closed comedones are the hardest to get rid of and it sometimes takes months to see results.

If you mostly have blackheads, noxzema deep cleansing cream ( the original ) works great for blackheads. It will practically remove them in one use. For me salicylic acid doesn't do much for my blackheads but the noxzema works wonders. Actually any cold cream will but I like how non greasy noxzema is.

If you're dealing with mostly inflamed acne. Look closely at your skin. If you see a lot of closed comedones( non inflamed acne ) that could be your problem. Those often turn into cystic acne and papules. Salicylic acid and a good sulfur based clay mask will help with that kind of acne.

If your acne is red and somewhat inflamed but mostly on the surface. If it doesn't feel deep rooted this is cosmetic acne caused by your makeup or skin care that is not agreeing with your skin. These heal the quickest and go away once you stop using strong products that you're sensitive too.

Treating acne on your own is very complex sometimes and takes a lot if trial and error. I've done a lot of research on acne over the years. I've had every type of acne there is. Natural things don't always work unless its a good diet but, not everyone wants to eat like a caveman or a rabbit. Some people want to enjoy their lives and eat pizza and drink soda.

I suggest to anyone who has been struggling with acne for a long time and has tried everything to no avail. Go find a good dermatologist. Or you can spend months and years trying to treat your acne or what you think is acne when you can be enjoying your youth.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/06/2013 6:23 pm

Hey, what exactly is Dan's Regimen? Sorry i haven't really been here for long.

It's on the home page of acne.org. The Regimen. Check is out. It could possibly be the answer for you, I know it has been for me. :)