Notifications
Clear all

Acne Is Not Caused By Diet

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/27/2013 10:20 pm

Acne is caused by an inherited sensitivity to androgen hormones which affects the way the "pore" exfoliates creating infection - not a leaky gut or dairy allergy or even hormonal imbalance. A "leaky gut" is a hypothesized condition (isn't real) and is more correlated in the development of autism than acne and a dairy allergy would manifest in the form of "hives" rather than pimples. Also a dairy allergy is HIGHLY uncommon and affects less than 2% of adults. Stop spreading false information.

The hollistic section should be focused more on researching natural treatments such as vitamin D and "Saw Palmetto" which is known to make people less sensitive to androgen hormones through gradual exposure. So many of you people lack education and seem to view acne as a "dietary disease" and not a genetic disorder of the pore caused by androgen sensitivity as it truly is. Stop blaming the victim.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/27/2013 10:36 pm

Drink cola and junk food everyday and see how your face explode.

MemberMember
(@xcrazycloudx)

Posted : 02/27/2013 10:43 pm

Don't certain foods aggravate hormones, thus leading to break outs? I have been able to control cystic acne across my chin and neck by eliminating dairy and refined sugary foods from my diet. So from my own personal experience, I highly promote eating healthy and balanced meals to anyone who are acne sufferers. It doesn't hurt to try.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 02/27/2013 11:13 pm

Whos the one here spreading false information? lol, if your statements were true everyone in the south with sun year around would not have acne. Diet effects androgen hormones by the way..

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/27/2013 11:23 pm

Don't certain foods aggravate hormones, thus leading to break outs? I have been able to control cystic acne across my chin and neck by eliminating dairy and refined sugary foods from my diet. So from my own personal experience, I highly promote eating healthy and balanced meals to anyone who are acne sufferers. It doesn't hurt to try.

Acne is not caused by imbalenced hormones or hormones that spike. Do you know that 67% of women with PCOS (a common endocrine disorder) don't experience any acne what-so-ever? doesn't that say that acne goes beyond hormones that are supposedly "imbalanced".

There is no specific food that triggers acne to form - how do you think that some people that eat diets loaded with carbs, sugars, dairy and other junkfoods have flawless amazing skin? and other people who are staunch vegans get cystic acne. Sigh, if acne was soley to do with diet every person who ate like crap would be affected but this isn't the case in the least.

The reason why your acne may improve after cutting out a certain food is because this has most likely caused you to lose weight causing the hormones that you're genetically sensitive to ( that cause your acne in the first place) to decrease which results in clear-ish skin - but this is only temporary. When you have less fat on you, you have less sex hormones that stimulate the glands and overproduce sebum resulting in a blocked follicule that becomes infected creating "acne".

Whos the one here spreading false information? lol, if your statements were true everyone in the south with sun year around would not have acne. Diet effects androgen hormones by the way..

Vitamin D is NOT a cure for acne but has been purported to make a person more androgen-insensitive. Having high androgen levels does not equate acne - sorry. The majority of people with acne have circulating androgen levels all within the normal range.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 02/28/2013 12:53 am

I think darkheart is mostly right. However, diet changes can decrease androgens and inflammation, resulting is less acne. I've experienced this myself, just like plenty of other people.

And losing fat increases testosterone, while gaining fat decreases it. I am eating a diet that decreases my acne and makes me gain weight. Which foods you eat does matter.

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:15 am

No, I don't think diet causes acne but I do think what you eat can impacts hormones (among other things), and if you change your diet to balance hormones etc then you may see positive results in your skin - with acne reducing and maybe even reaching clear skin. I think diet does effect hormones (and, in-turn, acne).

It's not exactly new info you're sharing, but it's good to have it mentioned again.If you look around for past threads in the nutrition/holistic forum and in other forums, you'll find people talking about saw palmetto and androgens and vitamin D and a lot more. There's a lot of good information around this site and from 'educated' people too who can often back things up with the research they've done. It's not all 'quacks' :P

I think it's also important to remember that what works for one person to clear their skin, it may not work for another. Everyone's experience with acne is different and I don't think everyone's acne is definitely caused by an issue with androgens. There are people who claim to have cleared their acne by eliminating dairy (etc) - and if that's what worked for them, that's great. It might not have worked for you but it doesn't mean that other people should dismiss it because it might be the thing that helps them. My point is, again, everyone's acne is different - what works for one person may not work for the next.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 2:39 am

I think darkheart is mostly right. However, diet changes can decrease androgens and inflammation, resulting is less acne. I've experienced this myself, just like plenty of other people.

And losing fat increases testosterone, while gaining fat decreases it. I am eating a diet that decreases my acne and makes me gain weight. Which foods you eat does matter.

I have had face and body acne since age 11 (I'm mostly in remission now due to spironolactone). I always ate a healthy diet with little junk food (strict parents) and very little animal byproduct. I started doing "fad" diets at 13 which turned into anorexia nervosa which lead me to get so thin I had lost menstrual cycle - and the acne disappeared(temporarily). It was only when I started eating again and starting menstruating that my acne returned suddenly. Which really does prove, at least for me, that androgen sensitivity is and was the entire culprit behind my acne in the first place. As long as my sex hormones got low enough through starvation where I was no longer producing "androgen" the sebaceous glands stopped being stimulated and the acne went into a phase of dormancy and temporary remission. A lot of people on a diet "claiming to cure their acne" are are actually starving themselves, sorry to say. That's just what happens when you eat a raw vegan, gluten, casein, dairy, sugar free diet as many people on here are doing.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 2:56 am

No, I don't think diet causes acne but I do think what you eat can impacts hormones (among other things), and if you change your diet to balance hormones etc then you may see positive results in your skin - with acne reducing and maybe even reaching clear skin. I think diet does effect hormones (and, in-turn, acne).

It's not exactly new info you're sharing, but it's good to have it mentioned again.If you look around for past threads in the nutrition/holistic forum and in other forums, you'll find people talking about saw palmetto and androgens and vitamin D and a lot more. There's a lot of good information around this site and from 'educated' people too who can often back things up with the research they've done. It's not all 'quacks' tongue.png

I think it's also important to remember that what works for one person to clear their skin, it may not work for another. Everyone's experience with acne is different and I don't think everyone's acne is definitely caused by an issue with androgens. There are people who claim to have cleared their acne by eliminating dairy (etc) - and if that's what worked for them, that's great. It might not have worked for you but it doesn't mean that other people should dismiss it because it might be the thing that helps them. My point is, again, everyone's acne is different - what works for one person may not work for the next.

Maybe I missed a few threads that were of *sound intellect*.. but all I'm seeing is the leaky gut this and leaky gut that business on so many threads it's hard to take these people seriously.

And I will never believe dairy can cause acne on its own - if someone is "sensitive" to dairy they're sensitive to growth hormones which once again means they're sensitive to androgen hormones. I have to say, there are *no different types of acne* - all acne is hormonal and comes from the same place. That doesn't mean hormonal as in "hormonal imbalance" either. We get acne in the teenaged years most commonly because our bodies are getting used to these "new hormones: which stimulate the sebaceous glands. How much the sebaceous glands get "stimulated" depends on our level of sensitivity to androgens - if we get a little acne, we're a little bit sensitive, if we get severe acne we're severely sensitive if not allergic and so on.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:08 am

Oh yeah I agree - I don't think you can say it's just one thing that causes acne. I don't think any food causes acne but it may in some cases exasperate it. Also, interesting point you made about starvation... I haven't looked at that and acne before so I can't comment on it but just because someone's on some sort of 'elimination' diet doesn't mean they're starving themselves - as long as they do it properly and have done their research, they should be fine and still be getting proper nutrients etc. Just take people with coeliac disease as an example - they need to avoid gluten, it's a fairly common condition I'd say, and I doubt they're starving themselves.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:15 am

I have had face and body acne since age 11 (I'm mostly in remission now due to spironolactone). I always ate a healthy diet with little junk food (strict parents) and very little animal byproduct. I started doing "fad" diets at 13 which turned into anorexia nervosa which lead me to get so thin I had lost menstrual cycle - and the acne disappeared(temporarily). It was only when I started eating again and starting menstruating that my acne returned suddenly. Which really does prove, at least for me, that androgen sensitivity is and was the entire culprit behind my acne in the first place. As long as my sex hormones got low enough through starvation where I was no longer producing "androgen" the sebaceous glands stopped being stimulated and the acne went into a phase of dormancy and temporary remission. A lot of people on a diet "claiming to cure their acne" are are actually starving themselves, sorry to say. That's just what happens when you eat a raw vegan, gluten, casein, dairy, sugar free diet as many people on here are doing.

I'm sorry to hear about your anorexia. I could have been more clear in my previous post. Caloric restriction does decrease testosterone and increase SGBH, but not because it decreases body fat; it's just a result of less calories. But high body fat also decreases testosterone. So a skinny guy who eats a lot will have high testosterone, while a fat guy who eats a normal amount won't. It's all about calories, not body fat.

People who clear their skin by diet aren't necessarily starving themselves, but I agree that some take it too far. It's just unnecessary to go raw vegan; they can't get enough calories to maintain their weight on that diet.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/28/2013 11:27 am

Don't bother replying to the OP. I don't know why these people who know nothing feel the need to post here, but there's never any point in explaining anything to them.

Of course acne is not caused by diet. It is 'caused' by a number of genetic differences that lead to a malfunction in how skin cells are produced and exfoliated that lead to clogged pores. And some of them have nothing to do with androgens. These are the reasons we get acne while your friend that eats crap dies not. However, all of the processes that lead to acne formation are affected by what you do to yourself re diet, sleep, excersize, stress, etc. and you can control your acne with a truly healthy diet and lifestyle.

It is the same as with just about every other disease. Type II Diabetes, for example. There are genotypes/phenotypes that make you more likely to develop diabetes. But the things you do to yourself is what makes the disease develop.

Also, all genes are not set. They turn on and off with the things you do to yourself.

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:25 pm

Don't bother replying to the OP. I don't know why these people who know nothing feel the need to post here, but there's never any point in explaining anything to them.

Of course acne is not caused by diet. It is 'caused' by a number of genetic differences that lead to a malfunction in how skin cells are produced and exfoliated that lead to clogged pores. And some of them have nothing to do with androgens. These are the reasons we get acne while your friend that eats crap dies not. However, all of the processes that lead to acne formation are affected by what you do to yourself re diet, sleep, excersize, stress, etc. and you can control your acne with a truly healthy diet and lifestyle.

It is the same as with just about every other disease. Type II Diabetes, for example. There are genotypes/phenotypes that make you more likely to develop diabetes. But the things you do to yourself is what makes the disease develop.

Also, all genes are not set. They turn on and off with the things you do to yourself.

You Americans are living in the stone age of medicine I swear. Probably because you can't afford to se a dermatologist because your health care system is unsocialized and your silly government makes you pay for your health care (how disgusting) hence the reason you and the clan of the other yanks stick to these "oldwives tales" of beliefs about acne because you haven't been properly educated.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/28/2013 2:05 pm

I am actually a little intrugued about this because you say that after your period came back the return of your acne came back. Well I, too, suffered anorexia and my period ceased for 20 months. I had acne/spots since age 11 and noticed that when I had my eating disorder my skin was oh so clear. After my period came back (last April) every month my skin would get worse again. I am actually on Spiro atm, and I am hoping that it does help.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/28/2013 2:18 pm

I have also suffered from an eating disorder and gotten to a very low weight. No change in acne whatsoever. But I never lost my period. I have no idea how I could possibly get low enough to lose my period because I've been under 100 pounds at 5'6'' and never lost it. I guess I'd have to literally be on the edge of death.

Also--I get huge, painful cysts immediately after eating something my body doesn't like (dairy, gluten, some other things). The cysts will appear sometimes before I even finish the plate of food. I don't get hives on any other part of my body, just massive cystic acne on my face. How dare you say that isn't something that happens.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/28/2013 3:05 pm

You Americans are living in the stone age of medicine I swear. Probably because you can't afford to se a dermatologist because your health care system is unsocialized and your silly government makes you pay for your health care (how disgusting) hence the reason you and the clan of the other yanks stick to these "oldwives tales" of beliefs about acne because you haven't been properly educated.

I saw many dermatologists and took many of their drugs. You need to get educated about health and nutrition.

I do agree with you about the stupidity of our for profit healthcare system. But since all they do is dispense drugs for conditions nutrients and exercise can control, I don't really have much use for it anyway. But it's funny you saying I'm living in the Stone Age when you are the one demonstrating a simpletons understanding of acne and 20th century understanding of genetics. It's the 21st century. And we know a lot more about how they work, now.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 02/28/2013 3:23 pm

So darkheart... what is your answer then to how to fix the androgen hormones in our bodies to not cause acne?

If we all have this predisposition that if we have acne when we are young, and it is caused by this genetic androgen hormonal issue - then what explains why more than half of people who had server acne when young, do not have it anymore as an adult?

and most dermatologists tell you that you will grow out of this condition -and most people do - then there is the rest of us, still looking for answers...

so what are you suggestions to regulate this androgen hormone and stay clear... we know people do it, you see it every day...

im intriqued and agree that you are correct in that this hormone is what causes the acne - and I also am a strong believer that certain food trigger hormonal imbalances in our bodies and can trigger outbreaks... but if you dont think thats true, how do you suggest we supress this hormone?

:)

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/28/2013 3:43 pm

^

This

MemberMember
(@f93d)

Posted : 02/28/2013 5:52 pm

If I took this advice I'd still be hiding in my closet wondering about the day I'll be clear of acne.

I am so close to being clear through diet alone. I don't know what my problem is - leaky gut, candida, hormones - I really don't care. What I do know is diet works, and taking many different supplements, which I did do, did absolutely nothing.

On health care.. very emotional political comment you got there - ban Mc Donalds and we'd probably significantly lower government health care costs (and also my huge tax hikes).

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 7:24 pm

If I took this advice I'd still be hiding in my closet wondering about the day I'll be clear of acne.

I am so close to being clear through diet alone. I don't know what my problem is - leaky gut, candida, hormones - I really don't care. What I do know is diet works, and taking many different supplements, which I did do, did absolutely nothing.

On health care.. very emotional political comment you got there - ban Mc Donalds and we'd probably significantly lower government health care costs (and also my huge tax hikes).

I just find it disturbing how people in the U.S are paying $300 dollars for one dermatologist appointment! and some can't even afford to go so they suffer for years on end. And why is Acctane $500 dollars a prescription for this uninsured in the U.S? in Canada it's $53. So terribly sad. They've turned health care into a business which is incredibly unethical.

So darkheart... what is your answer then to how to fix the androgen hormones in our bodies to not cause acne?

If we all have this predisposition that if we have acne when we are young, and it is caused by this genetic androgen hormonal issue - then what explains why more than half of people who had server acne when young, do not have it anymore as an adult?

and most dermatologists tell you that you will grow out of this condition -and most people do - then there is the rest of us, still looking for answers...

so what are you suggestions to regulate this androgen hormone and stay clear... we know people do it, you see it every day...

im intriqued and agree that you are correct in that this hormone is what causes the acne - and I also am a strong believer that certain food trigger hormonal imbalances in our bodies and can trigger outbreaks... but if you dont think thats true, how do you suggest we supress this hormone?

smile.png

All teenagers get some acne (at varrying degrees) because of the introduction of "new sex hormones" that their bodies haven't gotten used to and as a result the sebaceous glands are stimulated. How much acne a person gets during the teen years depends on how sensitive they are to androgen hormones (which is determined by genetics). People that don't get a lot of acne are androgen insensitive by nature (their sebaceous glands are not stimulated), people that get a little acne are fairly sensitive to androgens, people who develop severe cystic acne are almost allergic to the effects of androgens. When someone "grows out of acne" it means that their immune system has changed (just like growing out of childhood asthma and allergies) so they're no longer affected by the effects of androgen hormones because their bodies have now "gotten" used to this hormone which usually occurs around the time of adulthood (18-20 years old). People incorrectly think of this as "the hormons becoming balanced" which is not true.

I'm shocked that people in the U.S don't know this? in Canada our Derms are already aware of this and educate us.

I have also suffered from an eating disorder and gotten to a very low weight. No change in acne whatsoever. But I never lost my period. I have no idea how I could possibly get low enough to lose my period because I've been under 100 pounds at 5'6'' and never lost it. I guess I'd have to literally be on the edge of death.

Also--I get huge, painful cysts immediately after eating something my body doesn't like (dairy, gluten, some other things). The cysts will appear sometimes before I even finish the plate of food. I don't get hives on any other part of my body, just massive cystic acne on my face. How dare you say that isn't something that happens.

Really? I'm 5'7 and all it took for me to lose my period was getting below 130 pounds and then it was totally gone with all the acne and "extra hair". I must have a large frame or something because I was emaciated at 129 and in a size zero jean with no boobs. I was eating less than 400 calories a day at this time.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/28/2013 8:07 pm

I don't know why you've imagined that we don't know about androgens and acne. Our derms tell us that too. However, it isn't actually correct that androgens cause acne. They cause oily skin which does not cause acne. It just doesn't help.

And who pays $300 for a derm visit? Not that I'm interested in defending the US 'health' care system. But the only thing the Canadian system has going for it is that it is free. Other than that, it is no better.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 8:22 pm

I don't know why you've imagined that we don't know about androgens and acne. Our derms tell us that too. However, it isn't actually correct that androgens cause acne. They cause oily skin which does not cause acne. It just doesn't help.

And who pays $300 for a derm visit? Not that I'm interested in defending the US 'health' care system. But the only thing the Canadian system has going for it is that it is free. Other than that, it is no better.

I always see posts written by Americans here on Acne.org saying how they wish they could see a dermatologist but don't have the money to or that the going rate for the uninsured is $300 dollars for a Derm visit (I've seen this online time and time again). It's not a magical figure I just made up in my head. Perhaps it varies from state to state (possibly?) in price but I keep hearing it's at least $300.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/28/2013 8:30 pm

Funny, I've never seen it. But we don't talk about seeing derms much in this forum except about how useless they were for us. And how the average derm apparently doesn't read journals and keep up with research and so they tell us stupid things like 'diet doesn't affect acne' and that its caused by androgens.

Few other doctor visits cost anywhere near that so I don't know why a derm visit would.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/28/2013 9:25 pm

Yeah, I have the tiniest bone structure. But I was still pretty skinny at 90 something pounds. I guess I had enough body fat to function though.

I always see posts written by Americans here on Acne.org saying how they wish they could see a dermatologist but don't have the money to or that the going rate for the uninsured is $300 dollars for a Derm visit (I've seen this online time and time again). It's not a magical figure I just made up in my head. Perhaps it varies from state to state (possibly?) in price but I keep hearing it's at least $300.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 9:35 pm

Yeah, I have the tiniest bone structure. But I was still pretty skinny at 90 something pounds. I guess I had enough body fat to function though.

No, you're definitely right. Doctors are impossibly expensive here. A regular doctor visit (say, just to get antibiotics for a cold or something) has always cost me well over $100, not including the price of medication. That's JUST to see the doctor. I can't remember how much it was per visit to see the derm when I used to go, but it was a LOT. Like, well over $100. And the medications they prescribed cost upwards of $200 a tube sometimes!

That's terrible. How can they take advantage of people like that? The most I paid (or my mother paid when I was a teen) for an acne gel or cream from a dermatologist was $17.00 dollars at the most for Retin-A or another prescriptiion acne lotion. Antibiotics and birth control pills are under $20 dollars and Accutane ranges from $36-$53 dollars here for the first bottle of pills.

I never had to pay to see a dermatologist and I could go to as many as I wanted (for a second or third opinion) free of charge.

Poor people. How do you not go broke?